AMD 7970 Working With Full QE !

sea_man

133 posts in this topic

I have a Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 (3GB) with DS3h mb

My 7970 booted up fine without changing anything in chameleon or the bios and I can get to the login window (need to use sleep trick as there is a white screen)

After entering my password, it will login and then suddenly hang. Everything freezes. Sometimes it will work for a few seconds and then hang, sometimes it hangs as soon as the desktop fades in from the login window.

No idea what the problem is! Please help!

Hello,

With 10.8.3, it's working without any DSDT / Chameleon tricks there :

2nw3gjl.png

Note that i'm booting off the 4670 Ultimate and OS X switch screens after that (physical issues, the 7970 need to be in the bottom slot)

Hello,

With 10.8.3, it's working without any DSDT / Chameleon tricks there :

Note that i'm booting off the 4670 Ultimate and OS X switch screens after that (physical issues, the 7970 need to be in the bottom slot)

No, you are incorrect in your statement. It is not working at all. See how it shows: 7xxx? That means there is no framebuffer loaded and therefor not working. Now that you know that you can work on getting it to work. :)

I have a Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 (3GB) with DS3h mb

My 7970 booted up fine without changing anything in chameleon or the bios and I can get to the login window (need to use sleep trick as there is a white screen)

After entering my password, it will login and then suddenly hang. Everything freezes. Sometimes it will work for a few seconds and then hang, sometimes it hangs as soon as the desktop fades in from the login window.

No idea what the problem is! Please help!

remove GPU monitor plugin from inside FakeSMC.kext, it will cause KP once iStat or HWmonitor loads

Yep, the 7xxx is strange, but :

Starcraft II and Diablo III are running very well like "omg it keeps 60 fps on ultra", and the menu bar is translucent so :wink2:

ioreg -l shows that ATY,Hamachi framebuffer is loaded, and this framebuffer see all 4 physical ports (DVI x2, DP, HDMI).

I've included ioreg -l output if somebody is interested. I'm not using the sleep trick either. Just booted and bam, working.

Having trouble with OpenCL though, maybe that's the part which is not loaded.

ioreg.txt

Hi!

This is rather common if you injected the device ids into both the controller and accelerator kexts and boot using GraphicsEnabler=No (or no bootloader injection at all). It's the same for me with my 5450 (IDs injected into the ATI500Controller.kext and AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext): if i use GraphicsEnabler=Y, it's reported correctly. If not, it's reported as a HD5000 (okay, it's not exactly the same as HD5xxx, but i think we're talking about the same effect).

Best regards!

P.S.: or not: i just realized you're using your card as the secondary card, switching to it after booting with the HD4600. So you got a point here: maybe using the 7xxx cards as secondary GPUs bypasses the need of the sleep trick.

P.S.: or not: i just realized you're using your card as the secondary card, switching to it after booting with the HD4600. So you got a point here: maybe using the 7xxx cards as secondary GPUs bypasses the need of the sleep trick.

Just to be sure, I wanted to check that by booting with the 7970 only. Chamelon went foobar :

15yb52r.jpg

Wanted to updated it, but trunk doesn't build atm :/

remove GPU monitor plugin from inside FakeSMC.kext, it will cause KP once iStat or HWmonitor loads

I tried that but same thing happens. Is there any way to stop HWmonitor from launching on start up?

And when it freezes, I dont get the KP screen, just that the screen freezes.

Just to be sure, I wanted to check that by booting with the 7970 only. Chamelon went foobar :

15yb52r.jpg

Wanted to updated it, but trunk doesn't build atm :/

Use usb drive (i used my multixxx usb stick) to boot up up from hdd. Worked for me

how do you change the framebuffer that is loaded??

i tried through clover to change the framebuffer but it always loads Aji framebuffer. Is there a way to change it other than clover as clover is not changing it?

You may change from Clover GUI > Options > Graphics Injection Menu > FBName.

Wait, maybe you have injected 'Aji' through your DSDT ?

You may change from Clover GUI > Options > Graphics Injection Menu > FBName.

Wait, maybe you have injected 'Aji' through your DSDT ?

Okay so i think it is in my dsdt, following the guide from rampageDev on the 7xxx dsdt, i see that this following code is in my dsdt:

Store (Package (0x10)
                           {
                               "AAPL,slot-name", 
                               Buffer (0x07)
                               {
                                   "Slot-1"
                               }, 
                               "device-id", 
                               Buffer (0x04)
                               {
                                    0x3D, 0x68, 0x00, 0x00
                               }, 
                               "@0,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0D)
                               {
                                   "ATY,Buri"
                               }, 
                               "@1,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0D)
                               {
                                   "ATY,Buri"
                               }, 
                               "@2,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0D)
                               {
                                   "ATY,Buri"
                               }, 
                               "@3,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0D)
                               {
                                   "ATY,Buri"
                               }, 
                               "model", 
                               Buffer (0x13)
                               {
                                   "AMD Radeon HD 7770"
                               }, 
                               "hda-gfx", 
                               Buffer (0x0A)
                               {
                                   "onboard-1"
                               }

The part that says "ATY,Buri" is what i changed it to (from the original which said Aji) and restarted the hackintosh, but it still loaded Aji

so idk how or what else you could change to have the Buri framebuffer loaded

Okay so i think it is in my dsdt, following the guide from rampageDev on the 7xxx dsdt, i see that this following code is in my dsdt:

Store (Package (0x10)
                           {
                               "AAPL,slot-name", 
                               Buffer (0x07)
                               {
                                   "Slot-1"
                               }, 
                               "device-id", 
                               Buffer (0x04)
                               {
                                    0x3D, 0x68, 0x00, 0x00
                               }, 
                               "@0,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0D)
                               {
                                   "ATY,Buri"
                               }, 
                               "@1,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0D)
                               {
                                   "ATY,Buri"
                               }, 
                               "@2,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0D)
                               {
                                   "ATY,Buri"
                               }, 
                               "@3,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0D)
                               {
                                   "ATY,Buri"
                               }, 
                               "model", 
                               Buffer (0x13)
                               {
                                   "AMD Radeon HD 7770"
                               }, 
                               "hda-gfx", 
                               Buffer (0x0A)
                               {
                                   "onboard-1"
                               }

The part that says "ATY,Buri" is what i changed it to (from the original which said Aji) and restarted the hackintosh, but it still loaded Aji

so idk how or what else you could change to have the Buri framebuffer loaded

I see nothing wrong with DSDT patch, except I don't know where it goes in your DSDT.

However, with Clover you might not needed that DSDT injection. It's only the safe way not to depend on bootloader supports. I.E we use GE= No or GI=No when having DSDT injection.

How do you know Clover doesn't change the framebuffer? From ioreg? Or Clover GUI?

I see nothing wrong with DSDT patch, except I don't know where it goes in your DSDT.

However, with Clover you might not needed that DSDT injection. It's only the safe way not to depend on bootloader supports. I.E we use GE= No or GI=No when having DSDT injection.

How do you know Clover doesn't change the framebuffer? From ioreg? Or Clover GUI?

Alright ill try without dsdt and the injection

but the the FB doesnt change even if i change it from the dsdt in the code i posted earlier (also the code went under my device PEGP as suggested in the rampagedev guide for 7xxx dsdt)

I know it doesnt change because in the IOREG it sasy ATY, Aji @0 and @1, @2 and @3

and it never changes from the Aji FB

Alright ill try without dsdt and the injection

but the the FB doesnt change even if i change it from the dsdt in the code i posted earlier (also the code went under my device PEGP as suggested in the rampagedev guide for 7xxx dsdt)

I know it doesnt change because in the IOREG it sasy ATY, Aji @0 and @1, @2 and @3

and it never changes from the Aji FB

So, it's being loaded but it's strange to me that it can't be changed through Clover config. In my case, it's changable and not loaded or hangs on boot if the framebuffer was incorrect.

Do you get full acceleration with 'Aji'?

So, it's being loaded but it's strange to me that it can't be changed through Clover config. In my case, it's changable and not loaded or hangs on boot if the framebuffer was incorrect.

Do you get full acceleration with 'Aji'?

Im getting fill acceleration and all the games are running smoothly but my HDMI w/ audio output doesnt work when Aji framebuffer loads, only my dvi output works with Aji

when i use no dsdt and Graphics injection = No, all my ports (DP, HDMI without audio tho and DVI) work but with this setting i have no FB loaded and i dont get full acceleration

i wanted to change FB to see if Buri or anything other FB could get my HDMI with audio to work

Im getting fill acceleration and all the games are running smoothly but my HDMI w/ audio output doesnt work when Aji framebuffer loads, only my dvi output works with Aji

when i use no dsdt and Graphics injection = No, all my ports (DP, HDMI without audio tho and DVI) work but with this setting i have no FB loaded and i dont get full acceleration

i wanted to change FB to see if Buri or anything other FB could get my HDMI with audio to work

IOreg please with HDMI audio working....

IOreg please with HDMI audio working....

I finally got it to change the Framebuffer using DSDT, turns out clover was using the old dsdt in the EFI/patched folder and not the new one in root/DSDT

SO now i got Dashimaki working and everything except the HDMI audio is working, the HDMI port is working but the audio isn't working (meaning in system prefs there is no output device)

Also i haven't got the HDMI audio to work at all/ever.

here is my ioreg:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cqfm2cp1m571vc3

(mediafire link beacuse the ioreg file was too big to attach)

I finally got it to change the Framebuffer using DSDT, turns out clover was using the old dsdt in the EFI/patched folder and not the new one in root/DSDT

SO now i got Dashimaki working and everything except the HDMI audio is working, the HDMI port is working but the audio isn't working (meaning in system prefs there is no output device)

Also i haven't got the HDMI audio to work at all/ever.

here is my ioreg:

http://www.mediafire...cqfm2cp1m571vc3

(mediafire link beacuse the ioreg file was too big to attach)

Yo made it sound like you did have it working... Thanks.

Yo made it sound like you did have it working... Thanks.

Sorry about that.

Also if i disable AppleHDA and use VoodooHDA, my onboard is recognized and works but my hdmi audio is still not working and in IOREG it shows a "disabler" string underneath HDUA

here is the IOREG with voodoohda loaded

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?63qxyab6og2abne

VoodooHDA in the verbose mode bootup says this exactly

Controller: Intel 82801I (vender ID: 8086, device ID: 293e)
Controller: ATI (Unknown) (vender ID: 1002, device ID: aab0)
error: invalid CORB size: 00
error: getcapabilities failed

does that mean it recognizes the hdmi audio controller on the gfx card???

• 2 months later...

I'm trying to get my 7970 fully working. I've injected the proper code in my DSDT and it shows as an AMD Radeon HD 7970 in System Information, but when I try connecting my monitor to the 7970 I get no signal. (I boot with the HD 4000 to bypass the Chameleon random text error and also bypass the need the for the sleep trick). Output on the 7970 was working before I did DSDT injection. What framebuffers should I try other than Aji and Chutoro?