Toshiba Satellite R830/835 OSX 10.8 10.9

cele_82

168 posts in this topic

** UPDATE **

I've been trying like mad to install the new official final release of Mavericks 10.9 on my R830, but without success... :(

The setup and first boot run just fine, it's when you start messing with the kexts that it goes wrong, namely:

- The patched AppleHDA.kext doesn't seem to work on 10.9 - no audio detected...

- When I install the wifi kext enabler (IO80211Family.kext) then I get stuck on normal boot with a very strange error (see image attached). Booting in safe-mode still works fine though...

Hi!

I also updated to 10.9 and luckily without any issues. For me WiFi worked OOB.

Could you please try the attached kext and tell me if it is working?

Atheros9280.zip

Audio works with the 2.3.7 AppleHDA but I went ahead and patched the 10.9 version as well. 

Sleep and wake are OK (increase in brightness still present). 

Does anybody have a good kext for RICOH SDXC card reader?

Also, here are all the kexts that I use (Maverick.zip for 10.9): 

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_4vW3Ql9PJCWXgzb0Q2Z0NlUmM&usp=sharing

• Like 1

Success!!!  :D

Thanks a lot glnacy for your kext pack that worked pretty much everything important OOB!  :thumbsup_anim:

Almost everything is working just fine and maybe it's time to make a installation guide on official 10.9. 

Only problems I've noticed are related to my wifi card that is different (AR90285) that I've switched in order to get the BT to work, but it has issues on 10.9 like it's recognized and works with "your" kext, but then I cannot connect to any protected wifi networks (gives a prompt connection failed error) but oddly enough works on unprotected wifi networks - go figure! So a switch back to the original wifi card or maybe a 100% native recognized airport one is in the works now.

Sleep also doesn't work for me, the screen goes black but never gets into real sleep, then wakes up on pressing a key just to shortly after get the screen corrupt and freeze. Are you using sleepenabler.kext? If so what version? Could you also please share you extra folder? Maybe there's the 'secret'...

Thanks again for everything to all the great guys here.  B)

post-215205-0-23088100-1382778400_thumb.png

Hello again!

I can see that you have made excellent progress with 10.9!

Currently I just would like to share my latest observations related to 10.8.5 (I am still not ready to upgrade to 10.9):

1) multiple display configuration works very nice - even with docking station  I am able to use both HDMI interfaces at the same time, having separate output; I was even able to run Full HD using VGA connection ;-)

2) AppleIntelE1000e in version above 2.4.14 HANGS after several minutes of heavy load when Gigabit ethernet connection is used; I had to rollback down to 2.4.14 which works excellent.

So if you would need heavy network transfers using cable connection - use older version... I have seen that someone did recompilation of this driver for Mavericks too (I'll take a look into it soon).

Hello again!

I can see that you have made excellent progress with 10.9!

Currently I just would like to share my latest observations related to 10.8.5 (I am still not ready to upgrade to 10.9):

1) multiple display configuration works very nice - even with docking station  I am able to use both HDMI interfaces at the same time, having separate output; I was even able to run Full HD using VGA connection ;-)

2) AppleIntelE1000e in version above 2.4.14 HANGS after several minutes of heavy load when Gigabit ethernet connection is used; I had to rollback down to 2.4.14 which works excellent.

So if you would need heavy network transfers using cable connection - use older version... I have seen that someone did recompilation of this driver for Mavericks too (I'll take a look into it soon).

were you using the AppleIntelE1000e 2.5.4d?

I have just successfully migrated to 10.9. Since I use a bit unusual setup - it was a bit painful - and some things are not working yet.

Anyway - I am attaching new version of AppleIntelSNBGraphics.kext for Mavericks. I have patched the file in order to use HDMI without audio. It works with mine dual-monitor (both HDMI output) configuration, so please take a look on this. With original kext I couldn't receive independent views on both monitors (they were using mirrored configuration only).

AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext-hdmi-no-audio.zip

Whenever someone has time, can you write a quick install note and create an archive with all the kext needed? (and if DSDT/SSDT are the same use the ones from the first post)

Would be very nice to edit the first post and stick the 10.9 install details in that too.

Thanks

• Like 1

i believe glnacy would be

Whenever someone has time, can you write a quick install note and create an archive with all the kext needed? (and if DSDT/SSDT are the same use the ones from the first post)

Would be very nice to edit the first post and stick the 10.9 install details in that too.

Thanks

I believe glnacy would be the perfect person to post that guide, since my setup is a bit more uncommon (i3 processor & different wifi card). But I can always leave my installation steps anyway.... Yes, I use the same DSDT as ever (the one you posted).

Thanks

OK, I will give it a try.

First of all, you need a USB drive formatted for Mac (I created a single partition GUID disk). 

You can use the following command to set up your install disk or use an utility for that. I did not use any utility like [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or myhack, but that is just my personal preference.

sudo '/Applications/Install OS X Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia' --volume '/Volumes/Mavericks' --applicationpath '/Applications/Install OS X Mavericks.app' --nointeraction

After the disk is ready, you need to make a few modifications. One is to make the installer compatible with MBR disks.
Apply this MBR patch[attachment=131326:Mavericks_GM_MBR_Patch.tar.gz]:
tar zxvf ~/Downloads/Mavericks_GM_MBR_Patch.tar.gz -C /Volumes/"installer volume name" (USB in my case)

Another modification is to use Kext Wizard to install FakeSMC, VoodooPS2 and NullCPUPowerManagement kexts to the USB drive.

Because I already know what AppleHDA I can use, I also installed one to the USB. If I don't do this, I need HDA Disabler, because an unpatched AppleHDA will cause kernel panic.

Using Chameleon Wizard I installed Chameleon to the USB drive and added my DSDT and .plist-s to the Extra folder.

On the USB drive I created a separate folder and copied all the kexts I will need once the system is installed. I just named it Kexts

Now you can run the installer. After it finishes, don't let it reboot, but select the Terminal utility from the menu.

from here you should copy all the Kexts you need to the new system.

cd /Kexts

cp -R Kextname.kext /Volumes/NewSystemName/System/Library/Extensions/

#Repeat for all kexts

cd /Volumes/NewSystemName/System/Library/Extensions

#Repair permissions
chmod -R 755 *
chown -R root:wheel *

#copy Extra folder - if you formated the system drive 
mkdir /Volumes/NewSystemName/Extra
cp -R /Extra/ /Volumes/NewSystemName/Extra/ 

For convenience you can make a shell script in the Kexts folder, on the USB and then just run that.

After this you can reboot into Mavericks. If you don't have Chameleon installed, boot using the USB and install it using Chameleon Wizard.

Since you had installed all your kexts together with the OS, everything should be working.

In my case I have OSX on the same SSD as Windows (100 Gb for windows, 18 for OSX), therefore I need to disable hibernate and delete the hibernate file.

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Here are all the kexts I am using. Also included is my Extra folder

MavericksExtra.zip

Most of the kexts were patched by me. It seems that AppleHDA 2.3.7 is also working, so you can copy from previous version. 

IOAudioFamily.kext contains EADP handler for node 0x14. I tried CodecCommander, but for some reason it was not working.

Mavericks_GM_MBR_Patch.tar.gz

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

thanks to latest published kexts and DSDT current configuration is almost perfect... Even with docking station i get amazing automation (I have 2 x 24" monitor attached) - when I plug  the machine in - displays are properly configured without any manual configuration!

For AR3011 Bluetooth card I have used Voodo's firmware loader and both WiFi and Bluetooth for my AR5B195 work perfectly.

I have some minor details to fix and maybe you have some ideas?

First of all is automation of audio output switching when connected to docking station. Card in docking station is discovered as regular USB audio output. Do you have any ideas how it could be automated?

The second is problem with some of the FN + F-keys. In my case (using latest VoodooPS2) LCD brightness doesn't work. This becomes quite annoying after wake up (which switches screen backlight to max). Any solutions?

Hi all,

I have some problem to install osx 10.9 on my R830.

I build the usb key with the mavericks app downloaded on the appstore with unibeat Tools.

I have tried to start with this but still block on DSMOS waiting

I have tried with -x don't work too, same when i disable graphics or other options found in internet.

I have tried too with fakesmc without result too.

I need your help for the starting procedure, must I replace kext for the install? or other things to do?

I have try my all last weekend without result!

Please help me :)

Thx !

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, LioChan, mtek:

I already upgraded 10.9 from 10.8.3 using your kext zip into my R830. Very thanks for your hard work.

But now my hackintosh have one critical  probelm: WiFi not work.

When I try to use the IO80211Familly.kext from the pack in first post, it always connect fail with SID having

security password.

How can your WiFi work OOB ????

What model is your R830 ??? My R830 is i5 2450 2.5 GHz

Jordan Lin

Hi, LioChan, mtek:

I already upgraded 10.9 from 10.8.3 using your kext zip into my R830. Very thanks for your hard work.

But now my hackintosh have one critical  probelm: WiFi not work.

When I try to use the IO80211Familly.kext from the pack in first post, it always connect fail with SID having

security password.

How can your WiFi work OOB ????

What model is your R830 ??? My R830 is i5 2450 2.5 GHz

Jordan Lin

Hi!

Sadly I cannot help here, as I don't use the default (Intel) WiFi card but bought a Atheros AR5009/AR9280 for 5$ on ebay. What card do you have?

Hi, LioChan, mtek:

Yes, I use native WiFi card.

That is so sadly because my R830 is almost perfect unless WiFi.

Do you have any suggestion to patch the kext ????

Or

Is it easy to swich the WiFi card like you ???

Is the AR5009/AR9280 card OK for both WiFi and Bluetooth ???

Jordan Lin 

Hi, LioChan, mtek:

Yes, I use native WiFi card.

That is so sadly because my R830 is almost perfect unless WiFi.

Do you have any suggestion to patch the kext ????

Or

Is it easy to swich the WiFi card like you ???

Is the AR5009/AR9280 card OK for both WiFi and Bluetooth ???

Jordan Lin 

Changing the WiFi card is not to hard, you jut have to unscrew a lot of screws. The card I use does not contain Bluetooth (I haven't used Bluetooth twice in the last ten years, although I have a small dongle (even recognized by OSX), I have no device I would like to use it with). You can get a card with Bluetooth for 10-15$.

Maybe you can also find the the correct kext for your card and then there is no need to change. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, LioChan:

I already finished the native WiFi is working using only toledaARPT.kext from other websit.

Right now I wanna to correct the minor problems:

(1) The sleeping is fine on 10.9 but after sleeping the audio is not working.

(2) After sleeping the brightness is higher than before sleeping.

(3) USB3 and SD card reader are not working

How about your R830 ????

Right now I wanna to correct the minor problems:

(1) The sleeping is fine on 10.9 but after sleeping the audio is not working.

(2) After sleeping the brightness is higher than before sleeping.

(3) USB3 and SD card reader are not working

How about your R830 ????

Hi!

For audio after sleep you have to use an EADP enabler. I included one in my IOAudioFamily.kext for systems with speaker on node 14.

There is also CodecCommander written by Dolnor but for me it was not working alone.

For USB3 use PXHCD.kext and for SD card VooDooSDHC.kext (I use the one without DMA enabled).

I tried fixing the screen brightness after sleep, but I didn't manage it. I measured the brightness after sleep and it turned out that

those are the brightness levels that windows uses as well. The only fix I found would permanently set the higher brightness values, so I

decided not to use it.

Hi, LioChan:

Thanks for your opinion.

I finished some minor problems described below:

(1) For audio after sleep it works by replacing the IOAudioFamily.kext including pack from 1st post.

(2) For USB3 I use the GenericUSBXHCI 1.2.7 from some webblog. PHXCD.kext does not work for me. 

And left:

(1) SD Card still does not work by using VoodooSDHC.kext without DMA from post #21.

It can not recognize my 8GB SD and sometime the system will hang up. So I remove it.

Does it work for your USB3 by using this kext ???  

(2)  Brightness after sleep still exist but I can ignor this.

I  also upgrade to 10.9.1 and seems everything is fine. And you ???

• 4 weeks later...

Some questions to R830 OS X 10.8 users

1) How to make internal screen working in a native 1366x768 resolution? The only choise I had in screen settings after installation was 1280x720, and after copying /Extra folder from zip file my maximum resolution became even lower, 1024x768  :( I tried to use SwitchResX app, but without result

screen.png

2) In /Extra/SSDT folder I see 2 files both starting as "ssdt_i5_...", but my Satellite R830 has i3 CPU onboard. Do I need some extra stuff for it?

3)Installation of AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB_108.kext causes non-working internal screen. Is it a bug or a feature?  :)  Should I install it and reboot every time when I want to plug a external screen, then uninstall before screen unplugging and reboot again?

4) May someone list all contents of a /System/Libraries/Extensions folder?

5) Built-in sound dynamics produce noise during OS booting process. How to avoid this?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, that is my mistake. I forgot to take out all my debug messages I inserted to be able to tell where is the error.

I will take them out and attach the version for deployment. 

Here is the IOAudioFamily.kext without debug options:

attachicon.gifIOAudioFamily.kext-DEPLOYMENT.zip

Question... after sleep do you have the headphone output ? Because I don't... can you please check if you have the same prob ?

Hi!

Question... after sleep do you have the headphone output ? Because I don't... can you please check if you have the same prob ?

I have audio output on both headphones and speakers. I use the same 1.9.2 IOAudioFamily.kext as before (currently on 10.9.1 Mavericks).