Toshiba Satellite R830/835 OSX 10.8 10.9

cele_82

168 posts in this topic

@mtek

Thanks a lot for your advices. I have managed to upgrade the BIOS (up to 4.10) and reinstalled all previous Cele_82's kexts - using Kext Utility. From quick tests I can report that:

- both internal mic and output work,

- internal F5521GW modem seems to work (still waiting for SIM card to confirm this),

- trackpad & keyboard DO NOT work,

- USB 3.0 works, but is unstable (it does not reconnect my USB 3.0 external HDD, kext unload-load does not help),

- WiFi does not work.

What I am going to do next is USB 3.0 controller's firmware upgrade. I am bit confused about these *PS2* kexts, but simple comparison should reveal all differences between them.

@mtek

Thanks a lot for your advices. I have managed to upgrade the BIOS (up to 4.10) and reinstalled all previous Cele_82's kexts - using Kext Utility. From quick tests I can report that:

- both internal mic and output work,

- internal F5521GW modem seems to work (still waiting for SIM card to confirm this),

- trackpad & keyboard DO NOT work,

- USB 3.0 works, but is unstable (it does not reconnect my USB 3.0 external HDD, kext unload-load does not help),

- WiFi does not work.

What I am going to do next is USB 3.0 controller's firmware upgrade. I am bit confused about these *PS2* kexts, but simple comparison should reveal all differences between them.

Good to know you're in the right track.

What WiFi card do you have?

For keyboard + trackpad, although mine worked fine you can always use the voodoops2 driver in alternative (I'm currently using this one): https://dl.dropboxus...0/voodoops2.zip

Just install it on S/L/E with kext utility.

My USB 3.0 port works but no without glitches...it only recognizes any devices attached when I plug them on before I boot. And CPU activity is a bit intense when using an external USB 3.0 HDD for instance.

Hi guys,

thanks for the replies. I am just in middle of project which is using my laptop to run xampp for a local host so I have had to put this on hold...great to see progress you have all made....i'll be finished in a week or two so i'll give this a go and let you know results!

For keyboard + trackpad, although mine worked fine you can always use the voodoops2 driver in alternative (I'm currently using this one): https://dl.dropboxus...0/voodoops2.zip

Just install it on S/L/E with kext utility.

Quick update: I had feeling that I am missing a lot of background behind running Hackintoshes :) So knowledge update is in progress. Anyway I did manage to run my keyboard and pad with Rehab's VoodoPS2 - trackpad along with gestures work quite well (but not perfect). The downside is still weird keyboard mapping, especially for windows keys - which is different on my desktop keyboard, so there is plan for me to play with debug mode and reassign these key mappings.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note:

So far has been months that I'm sing the R830 at home or work and is the first hackintosh that I'm using 100% without dual boot options..

well I recently came across an used Macbook 13" i5 2.3GHz... what can I say if we could get sleep on this laptop would be amazin... it's light and fast much better than a macbook...

PS USB 3.0 problems they are related to the drivers, on the latest especially system.log gets spammed by the ultra debugging verbose logs they left in the version I've posted and you get the CPU going mad.. would be worth to try with the previous version to see if you have the same problems.

Bye for now.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I thought this kext would help you to light up your VGA port. I have been using it for months, HDMI works too. Search Google for this topic "[success] VGA port fix for Intel HD 3000" if you wanted to know how it works.

Hi, thanks for the kext, but included one by cele_82 at the beginning of the thread does work great with both VGA and HDMI ports. Any differences to the one you attached?

Hi, thanks for the kext, but included one by cele_82 at the beginning of the thread does work great with both VGA and HDMI ports. Any differences to the one you attached?

Oh, sorry. I haven't opened the attachment to test yet. I've just skimmed through the post and seen that you guys might have had problems with VGA so I posted my own patch. However, it seems to be redundant, just ignore it then. Nothing complicated here, look for the hex string 01 02 04 00 10 07 00 00 10 07 00 00 and replace the next ones with these hex which are supposed to be 4 pin connectors LVDS, HDMI, VGA, and Displayport(we don't need this). 

05 03 00 00 02 00 00 00 30 00 00 00

02 05 00 00 00 04 00 00 07 00 00 00

06 02 00 00 02 00 00 00 30 00 00 00

04 06 00 00 00 04 00 00 09 00 00 00

Hi, experts:

I decided to re-install my Portege R830 from 10.7.5 to 10.8 because the audio problem described post # 41.

I use "tony mac usb installer" 2.0.1 to create bootable USB including ML 10.8 app.

But it can't boot my laptop to enter installing menu and just black screen. 

Did every experts encounter this problem??? Or I use wrong tool to create bootable USB ???

Hi, experts:

I decided to re-install my Portege R830 from 10.7.5 to 10.8 because the audio problem described post # 41.

I use "tony mac usb installer" 2.0.1 to create bootable USB including ML 10.8 app.

But it can't boot my laptop to enter installing menu and just black screen. 

Did every experts encounter this problem??? Or I use wrong tool to create bootable USB ???

And did you follow the guide at the beginning of this thread? Especially these steps:

- Boot the usb with the -x -v flags otherwise you will not be able to the see the installer
- Install everything, partition the drive etc..
- Boot again from the USB selecting the hard disk partition this time(since there is no boot loader on the disk yet) with the -s -v -x boot flags
- Once in single mode, launch the last two commands suggested from the console in order to mount the osx partition,then cd to /System/Library/Extensions and delete AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext (rm -R AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext)
- Boot again using the USB and selecting the hard disk partition with the -v flag

And did you follow the guide at the beginning of this thread? Especially these steps:

- Boot the usb with the -x -v flags otherwise you will not be able to the see the installer
- Install everything, partition the drive etc..
- Boot again from the USB selecting the hard disk partition this time(since there is no boot loader on the disk yet) with the -s -v -x boot flags
- Once in single mode, launch the last two commands suggested from the console in order to mount the osx partition,then cd to /System/Library/Extensions and delete AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext (rm -R AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext)
- Boot again using the USB and selecting the hard disk partition with the -v flag

Thanks for reply !!! I have followed these steps but still have the probelm.

I have solved the problem now. I found that it need the external monitor from HDMI. 

It have no signal from laptop screen. Did you have these situation when installing 10.8 ???? 

Thanks for reply !!! I have followed these steps but still have the probelm.

I have solved the problem now. I found that it need the external monitor from HDMI. 

It have no signal from laptop screen. Did you have these situation when installing 10.8 ???? 

You need the right DSDT.aml, check the attachment in the first post, and copy it into /Extra folder. Hope this would help.

• 3 weeks later...

mtek, are you running 10.9 now? if so is it worth the upgrade?

Hi, not yet... Gave it a try with one of the first DP but ran into some issues (after successful installation) and have not really tried it again yet. But I see no reason why it shouldn't work and make a worthwhile upgrade when the final version gets released in a month or two...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,experts:

I have finished to reinstall my R830 to 10.8.2 yesterday. It is so incredibled for this package and guide.

Right now I still have some problems:

(1) I have installed dual OS in my Transcend 256 gb SSD with Win7 & ML 10.8.2.

I use exta bluetooth dongle. The magic mouse is smooth in Win7 but in ML 10.8.2 is lag.  

(2) USB3 doesn't work using 1st post package.

(3) The HDMI monitor seems no signal when I plugin.

Others seems perfect and I will try and test later.

Can I update to 10.8.4 on-line or from combo package ????

Thanks

Hi,experts:

I have finished to reinstall my R830 to 10.8.2 yesterday. It is so incredibled for this package and guide.

Right now I still have some problems:

(1) I have installed dual OS in my Transcend 256 gb SSD with Win7 & ML 10.8.2.

I use exta bluetooth dongle. The magic mouse is smooth in Win7 but in ML 10.8.2 is lag.  

(2) USB3 doesn't work using 1st post package.

(3) The HDMI monitor seems no signal when I plugin.

Others seems perfect and I will try and test later.

Can I update to 10.8.4 on-line or from combo package ????

Thanks

Hi Jordan,

10.8.4 caused some issues when I tried to upgrade for the first time, so I didn't mind and stuck with 10.8.3 that works just fine.

Now I'm just waiting for a final release of 10.8.5 to come out to get serious in getting it to work. And of course when Mavericks comes out I'll give it a shot too.

1) Unfortunately I experience the same problem - there's something wrong with the BT driver that causes the lagginess/jerkiness you experience. I've even switched the wifi/BT card to make the BT work natively (which now works) but I still get the same issues I had with the dongle that btw works fine on my other hacks...

2) USB3 only works for me, if I boot up with the USB cable from the device already connected, otherwise it won't work. Have you tried this way?

3) That's weird! Mine works just fine - the same even for the VGA port. Try to boot with the cable already connected to see if it makes any difference.

Good luck!

Hi Jordan,

10.8.4 caused some issues when I tried to upgrade for the first time, so I didn't mind and stuck with 10.8.3 that works just fine.

Now I'm just waiting for a final release of 10.8.5 to come out to get serious in getting it to work. And of course when Mavericks comes out I'll give it a shot too.

1) Unfortunately I experience the same problem - there's something wrong with the BT driver that causes the lagginess/jerkiness you experience. I've even switched the wifi/BT card to make the BT work natively (which now works) but I still get the same issues I had with the dongle that btw works fine on my other hacks...

2) USB3 only works for me, if I boot up with the USB cable from the device already connected, otherwise it won't work. Have you tried this way?

3) That's weird! Mine works just fine - the same even for the VGA port. Try to boot with the cable already connected to see if it makes any difference.

Good luck!

Hi, mtek:

Thanks for reply.

After I test, it still exist problems:

(1) BT & Magic mouse lag: How do you fix ??? Do you use extra dongle now ??? Or native BT ???

I found that the magic mouse recovered normally if I turn off WIFI. And turn on WIFI immediately both WFI & BT are OK.

It is so strange. I will try using IOBluetoothFamily.kext and IO80211Family.kext of Lion version.

Because it is normal when  I use Lion 10.7.5 .

(2) USB3 works by using PXHCD.kext 1.0.11 but it will generate a lot of message in system console. So I remove it.

(3) HDMI works if I connect before booting.

(4) I have upgraded to 10.8.4 on-line and found that the WIFI does not work. So I restore back to 10.8.2 immediately.

Is 10.8.3 all OK ???

(5) Have you use AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext of post #45 for brightness ?? 

Thanks a lot

Hi, mtek:

Thanks for reply.

After I test, it still exist problems:

(1) BT & Magic mouse lag: How do you fix ??? Do you use extra dongle now ??? Or native BT ???

I found that the magic mouse recovered normally if I turn off WIFI. And turn on WIFI immediately both WFI & BT are OK.

It is so strange. I will try using IOBluetoothFamily.kext and IO80211Family.kext of Lion version.

Because it is normal when  I use Lion 10.7.5 .

(2) USB3 works by using PXHCD.kext 1.0.11 but it will generate a lot of message in system console. So I remove it.

(3) HDMI works if I connect before booting.

(4) I have upgraded to 10.8.4 on-line and found that the WIFI does not work. So I restore back to 10.8.2 immediately.

Is 10.8.3 all OK ???

(5) Have you use AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext of post #45 for brightness ?? 

Thanks a lot

1) As I said before, I switched my original wifi card to another model which with a specific kext enables native BT. But still the lag issue persists sometimes, just like using the dongle. Sometimes it works OK with my magic trackpad, but I can't use more than 2 finger gestures or the mouse pointer will stop for a while... Really weird problem...

2) I haven't checked any error messages on the console but that kext usually works fine for me, if I plug the USB3 cable before boot that is.

3) HDMI works fine for me, either before or after booting.

4) 10.8.4 had me a few headaches, so I decided to stick to 10.8.3 combo with a fresh install (following the guide) and it worked just perfect.

5) Nope, I'm still using the original posted AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext and I've had no issues with brightness, just the color calibration isn't ideal, but it's still OK. 

• 2 weeks later...

1) As I said before, I switched my original wifi card to another model which with a specific kext enables native BT. But still the lag issue persists sometimes, just like using the dongle. Sometimes it works OK with my magic trackpad, but I can't use more than 2 finger gestures or the mouse pointer will stop for a while... Really weird problem...

2) I haven't checked any error messages on the console but that kext usually works fine for me, if I plug the USB3 cable before boot that is.

3) HDMI works fine for me, either before or after booting.

4) 10.8.4 had me a few headaches, so I decided to stick to 10.8.3 combo with a fresh install (following the guide) and it worked just perfect.

5) Nope, I'm still using the original posted AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext and I've had no issues with brightness, just the color calibration isn't ideal, but it's still OK. 

Hi, mtek:

(1) I had tried the wifi & bluetooth kexts from 10.7.5 and it didn't work normally. So I gave up and accepted this.

It work so stupid that I will re-connect WIFI and magic mouse work smoothly when I boot up OSX.

(2) Other problems are fine like you. I also stuck on 10.8.3 .

Thanks for your opinion.

• Like 1

some USB3.0 news...

I admit I'm not really around the new things popping here and there on the OSX86 scene, i'm happily running my 10.8.2 and focusing on other things. Anyway I did a quick search to see if there was a new PXHCD.kext out with some fixes but nope... instead much better i found this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/genericusbxhci/files/

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286860-genericusbxhci-usb-30-driver-for-os-x-with-source/

I've included the USB3 kext in the archive of the first post(GenericUSBXHCI_1.2.5)

I've just installed it 30min ago, and system seems fine. I can plug/unplug mouse, USB keys etc and no spamming in system.log or CPU going crazy it seems fine... Have a go it might finally make your extra USB port work properly.

PS I don't have USB3 devices here so I've tested only with 2.0

Release Notes 1.2.5

If having problems with Intel Series 7/Panther Point chipset, boot with kernel flag "-gux_defer_usb2".

If having sleep problems with other chipsets, try boot with kernel flag "-gux_nosleep".

On OS 10.9, when installing GenericUSBXHCI, you need to edit the file /System/Library/Extensions/AppleKextExcludeList.kext/Contents/Info.plist and make sure GenericUSBXHCI is allowed up to the version you install.

GenericUSBXHCI_1.2.5.tar.gz

• Like 1

A quick note about sleep:

- Do you have it working?

- Do you have it partially working?(laptop wakes, but screen stays black)

- If you have it partially working, with or without USB3 kext? With which kernel boot flags?

Asking because I never had it working, but after installing the new USB3 kext It did work partially once and since it never did I was really happy.. but unluckily it was just a case….I couldn't make it work again.

PS I was booting with -f -v since the new kext install(and previously I had deleted th kext cache).. I did a bit of tests with USB devices and then I decided let's try and I triggered the wake up by pressing the mouse button attached on the USB3 port. And it did wake up without rebooting… but afterwards even repeating the same steps I couldn't wake up the computer anymore… but to rebooting itself after the wake signal.

PPS actually I could trigger it just now again with the standard bootflags (-v -darkwave=0)...not sure why it's working only sometimes.

Please let us know your "sleep" feature status of your Toshiba.