Toshiba Satellite R830/835 OSX 10.8 10.9

cele_82

168 posts in this topic

Great guide! Thank you very much cele_82!

I've got a Toshiba Portege R830 (i3) and it's just about the perfect notebook hackintosh ooh! Everything works great and natively including graphic card (HD3000), Audio & Ethernet/Wifi.

Tested now the HDMI output... all good 1080p with audio on a Samsung friend's TV.

Good to know! :)

I've had some random KP's while using USB devices - does that happen to you too? Maybe it's caused by the USB3 kext (although I'm no using it)?

I've forgot to mention that I've upgraded to 10.8.3 without any issues, other than having to delete the AppleIntelFSBGraphicsFB.kext and reinstall the AppleHDA one.

It's a near perfect hackintosh oob this one thanks to your DSDT work - thanks again. I've also owned previously a Toshiba Qosmio that worked flawlessly too. Toshiba are great hacks!

I wasn't happy with the VoodooSDHC... it worked without troubles with a 2GB SD a while ago, now (at home) with my 8GB SD it can't copy... basically it hangs after the first megabytes of a file...

In ubuntu same SD work perfectly...

I don't use so often SDs anymore... once a year probably.. so I've removed the extension and installed Ubuntu on a single 2GB FAT32 partition on the harddrive in live=mode... so I can easily choose at the Darwin bootloader.

thanks to your DSDT work - thanks again

DSDT made by Silvestr (or sourced somewhere don't know) but is the only thing i didn't touch... Audio driver for Mic instead yes I spent a day to get it working and find good gain values for it.

I've had some random KP's while using USB devices - does that happen to you too? Maybe it's caused by the USB3 kext (although I'm no using it)?

What kernel panics? on which ports? what version is your PXHCD? 10.8 or 10.1.11?

When those happen? when unplugging devices?

PS If you get news on the sleep issue feel free to write, we need more Toshiba owners to comment this :)

I've forgot to mention that I've upgraded to 10.8.3 without any issues, other than having to delete the AppleIntelFSBGraphicsFB.kext and reinstall the AppleHDA one.

about this do you mean AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext? Did you have to delete it to boot and then replace it with the one from the zip archive of the first post?

Can you write a list of steps to upgrade to 10.8.3? then I will put in the first post.(with credits)

• Like 1

@cele_82

I'm not using the SD card reader either so no real need for a (troublesome) kext install.

OK so kudos for Silvestr's DSDT & you for your hard work. It's a shame that sleep is not working - it'd be a near perfect hackintosh (still missing bluetooth) with it. It's funny that in my previous Qosmio I had bluetooth working perfectly but not so wifi and I had to change the mini-PCI card. Sleep didn't work either...but it didn't return a KP at boot time while using sleepenabler.kext at least. Hopefully someone will sort out this sleep issue...

I had some odd KP's while using a mouse connected to the USB3 port. No other KP since I've stopped using it. I'm using PXHCD.kext 1.0.8. Should I use other version instead?

Oh I forgot to mention I also experienced a weird crash (screen got all scrambled and freezes) the other day while using my headphones for a while listening to itunes music. Not sure if the problem was caused by the headphones being plugged in or just by using itunes for a while. I'll try to replicate the issue when I have the time.

About upgrading to 10.8.3 - well I did a fresh install. Instead of installing 10.8.2 I used 10.8.3 combo package instead and just followed your guide and it worked great! So no credits due here. :)

So now I've got an up to date hack without any serious issue. Yes I meant the

AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext.

I've also tried to install the HWMonitor & associated FakeSMC plugins (I've used it before on other hacks including the Qosmio) but to my surprise the install didn't end well (returned a installation failed, contact your software vendor message, and after that it didn't boot any longer). Anyways not that much of a big deal really...

I've also upgraded my HD to a 750GB (need the space...) Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid drive and the R830 just flies! I'm able to boot in around 15sec in 10.8.3!

@cele_82

I'm not using the SD card reader either so no real need for a (troublesome) kext install.

OK so kudos for Silvestr's DSDT & you for your hard work. It's a shame that sleep is not working - it'd be a near perfect hackintosh (still missing bluetooth) with it. It's funny that in my previous Qosmio I had bluetooth working perfectly but not so wifi and I had to change the mini-PCI card. Sleep didn't work either...but it didn't return a KP at boot time while using sleepenabler.kext at least. Hopefully someone will sort out this sleep issue...

I had some odd KP's while using a mouse connected to the USB3 port. No other KP since I've stopped using it. I'm using PXHCD.kext 1.0.8. Should I use other version instead?

Oh I forgot to mention I also experienced a weird crash (screen got all scrambled and freezes) the other day while using my headphones for a while listening to itunes music. Not sure if the problem was caused by the headphones being plugged in or just by using itunes for a while. I'll try to replicate the issue when I have the time.

About upgrading to 10.8.3 - well I did a fresh install. Instead of installing 10.8.2 I used 10.8.3 combo package instead and just followed your guide and it worked great! So no credits due here. :)

So now I've got an up to date hack without any serious issue. Yes I meant the

AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext.

I've also tried to install the HWMonitor & associated FakeSMC plugins (I've used it before on other hacks including the Qosmio) but to my surprise the install didn't end well (returned a installation failed, contact your software vendor message, and after that it didn't boot any longer). Anyways not that much of a big deal really...

I've also upgraded my HD to a 750GB (need the space...) Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid drive and the R830 just flies! I'm able to boot in around 15sec in 10.8.3!

Try this kext is the one I'm using... version 1.0.11 (there's a lot in console log and you'll see a lot as well when booting in verbose mode, that's because they apparently forgot the debug loggin enabled..)

Sleep... well is not my strength :) we need someone to have a look at it, unfortunately it requires time to test which I don't have and knowledge about DSDT hacking which I don't have either... but since yours boots in 15" I guess is ok for you at the moment. If you want try to open a topic or research about it.. I think is not a super major thing to enable but needs someone that knows where to check/look.

PXHCD.kext.zip

• Like 1

Thanks for the kext - will try it out. :)

I'm currently running without a SSDT and the performance is great and battery life is close to 4h hour on light/normal use.

BTW how much do you score in Geekbench 2 with your i5?

Mine does circa 5500...without SSDT or turbo mode which is not too bad I believe.

post-215205-0-23469300-1364585637_thumb.png

No idea, I never benched my i5...

Well if you ever decide to, then Geekbench is the reference system benchmark util. Here's a list of typical mac benchmarks, and from what I read I'm pretty happy with my R830's performance in every way, it's really snappy as a 'mac' and with the new HDD it boots and runs apps lightning fast. A true macbook pro replacement for a fraction of the price.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

Well if you ever decide to, then Geekbench is the reference system benchmark util. Here's a list of typical mac benchmarks, and from what I read I'm pretty happy with my R830's performance in every way, it's really snappy as a 'mac' and with the new HDD it boots and runs apps lightning fast. A true macbook pro replacement for a fraction of the price.

http://browser.prima.../mac-benchmarks

Will do, I guess anyway yours is a bit better HD side since you have the SSD

Will do, I guess anyway yours is a bit better HD side since you have the SSD

Yes the 8GB SSD that works a bit like the new OS X fusion drive is really great and makes a lot of a difference to the standard 7.200RPM 'normal' HD especially on booting times and launching common apps. For under 100€ it's one of the best upgrades you can make if you need lots of storage space on the go without sacrificing performance. Otherwise a 'normal' SSD is the better option of course.

• 1 month later...

Hello, do you think this will work with toshiba satellite c855??? thanx for your excellente work!!! :)

Well I'm sure some of the basics will work out, not really sure about the DSDT though...but no harm in trying though. I'd give it a shot.

Love that you have to take two tests just to post a message on here! :wink2:

I have a R830-1G1 that is basically the same pc but with the i3....

1) just wondered if this guide will work for that machine?...seen elsewhere says it will but best to ask direct

2) also have you compiled all the ktexts into one file/ktext (as couldn't see that on here)?

3) So it is just the bluetooth and sleep functions that dont work now? I can live without them....

4) Will this guide work with a dual boot or can you use bootcamp once installed 10.8?

I have installed mac os on my old dell 1525 a year ago but this is the second time i will try this....other then following your guide and these questions anything else I need to know...I know how to install os to USB as already done that for mac mini...

Many thanks for your awesome hard work!

Richard

Love that you have to take two tests just to post a message on here! :wink2:

I have a R830-1G1 that is basically the same pc but with the i3....

1) just wondered if this guide will work for that machine?...seen elsewhere says it will but best to ask direct

2) also have you compiled all the ktexts into one file/ktext (as couldn't see that on here)?

3) So it is just the bluetooth and sleep functions that dont work now? I can live without them....

4) Will this guide work with a dual boot or can you use bootcamp once installed 10.8?

I have installed mac os on my old dell 1525 a year ago but this is the second time i will try this....other then following your guide and these questions anything else I need to know...I know how to install os to USB as already done that for mac mini...

Many thanks for your awesome hard work!

Richard

Hi Richard

1) if you take a look at some of my posts and sig you'll see that we probably share the same R830 model, so the answer is yes... I've used a custom SSDT for my (our?) processor model though and it works great.

2) All the needed kexts/DSDT are made available from cele_82 - no need for nothing extra really - just follow the guide.

3) I've switched my wifi card to a Dell 1702 one and with an extra kext I now have the BT working too - although it has some issues that I can't find a solution to - like when connecting to my magic trackpad the mouse cursor jumps all over the screen and no multitouch is available... :| Not sure if it's just my particular problem though...

No sleep is working so far, unfortunately. Sleepenabler.kext causes a panic kernel on boot up on my R830 but works great on other hacks I've had/have.

4) I've got a dual-boot with Windows XP and OS X - you just have to partition you drive correctly and make the OS X install after - just search and use some great guides here at the forum or at youtube: 'dual boot os x and windows'.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Great guide! Thank you very much cele_82!

I've got a Toshiba Portege R830 (i3) and it's just about the perfect notebook hackintosh ooh! Everything works great and natively including graphic card (HD3000), Audio & Ethernet/Wifi.

Hi, mtek, cele_82:

I also have a Toshiba Portege R830(i5) and installed OSX Lion 10.7.5 .

But I had an audio problem. It can't use headphone but speaker is OK.

I use the same Silvestr's DSDT and all driver.

How can I fix it ??? And how to use codec dump file codec_0.txt ??

Thanks a lot

• Like 1

Hi Jordan Lin,

Good to know another R830 hackbook is online. :)

I've had no such issues with the headphones, now that's strange. What happens to the sound (on the speakers) when you connect the headphones to the headphones jack?

Hi. I've installed ML 10.8.3 to Toshiba Satellite R830. All is good with provided pack except some display troubles.

After install dsdt+snb.kext i got very low contrast of display and picture is too white. After calibrate it is fine but my eyes are hurt. I think my lcd is different and i need to inject my edid. I used DarwinDumper and got no edid without dsdt. So how you guys extracted and injected proper edid to dsdt? Btw I saw edid info in dsdt but in windows i got only seven blocks of edid (/*0x00*/ /*0x10*/ /*0x20*/... etc) how to got proper one?

EDIT. Ok i've managed to inject proper EDID from windows and now display is more comfortable for my eyes i think. I'll make a clean install for additional tests.

EDIT2: Also full lcd display brightness is enabled only after display sleep. i need to figure out why.

By the way thank you guys for a good work at this package and tutorial!

Hi Jordan Lin,

Good to know another R830 hackbook is online. :)

I've had no such issues with the headphones, now that's strange. What happens to the sound (on the speakers) when you connect the headphones to the headphones jack?

Hi, mtek:

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I already installed R830 hackintosh six months ago. But it begin install 10.7.2 then upgrade to 10.7.5 .

Now it is noisy from headphones when I connect headphones jack. And it still has normal sound on the speaker.

All others are good besides this and sleeping problems. I also install dual OS ( Win7 & OSX ) by different partitions.

Would you offer any suggestion to me ??? I don't wanna spent lots of time to re-install ML 10.8.3 .

Here is the fix for not full brightness before sleep.

After changing the AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext the brightness is ok. I've tried to set it to 5000(decimal) don't remember the value in hex but after that the brightess level stuck at max. So 1213(hex) is a good number.

Here is the AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext from the 1st post's pack with fixed brightness.

P.S. Had anyone got a ploblem with native colors and contrast without color profile after enabling native res and QE/CI?

EDIT: the bightness is set to full after only display sleep is enabled in Preferences/Energy Saver. For now sleep doesn't work.

AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext.zip

• Like 1

Here is the fix for not full brightness before sleep.

After changing the AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext the brightness is ok. I've tried to set it to 5000(decimal) don't remember the value in hex but after that the brightess level stuck at max. So 1213(hex) is a good number.

Here is the AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext from the 1st post's pack with fixed brightness.

P.S. Had anyone got a ploblem with native colors and contrast without color profile after enabling native res and QE/CI?

Hi! Thanks for your work, but you have sleep enabled on your R830? If so, how?

I can't really complain about brightness levels oob, since the screen is dimmed slightly on battery power and full brightness on the power plug fits me nicely. Of course you can always adjust it, but it doesn't get 'memorized'...

Colors are in fact a bit washed out, but after manual calibration they're OK enough. It's not really on of the strong points of the R830's mate display anyway (color contrast and brightness).

Hi! Thanks for your work, but you have sleep enabled on your R830? If so, how?

Nope. Sleep doesnt work. I've tested brightness with sleep=never, display-sleep=1 min. Only after display goes to sleep and woke brightness is set to full. With kext patch by the link above it's working right after boot.

Thanks for info about washed out dispay. I think it's the same situation i have. the problem is not only colors washed out but even after calibrate something wrong with backlight frequency i think. in Windows and Linux Live i could work with the display but in Mac Os X my eyes got tired very quick. If AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext is deleted it works good like in other OS but without QE/CI & native res.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

thanks for this tutorial - amazing work! Thanks to this one I have managed to install OS X 10.8.3 on my Protege R830 (additional symbols: 11M and 821E). Unfortunately I run into troubles with my a bit extended configuration, so I have few words of warning.

Here is my current configuration:

- i5-2520M 2.50 Ghz,

- 16GB RAM (yep, my CPU is able to handle 2x8GB sticks - against official Toshiba documentation),

- DVD replaced with second HDD,

- internal 3G modem,

- BIOS 2.80, EC 1.10

I have followed basic instructions from @cele_82 and I have following observations:

1. Please ensure that you either include DSTD to USB installation disk or install using external HDMI monitor. In my case - laptop's LCD was disabled. Application of DSTD helps :)

2. Ensure that you do not have VT-D enabled in the BIOS. It does not allow my system to run properly.

3. If you'll install OS X on second drive (the one that BIOS sees as optical drive) - you can have some problems with running, since BIOS had some difficulties in reporting this to Chameleon. I have managed to pass OS X's UUID volume as 'boot-uuid' and eventually it run correctly.

4. After install, at initial configuration I did not removed any kexts from /S/L/E directory. Chameleon had booted it and system run smoothly without any kexts.

5. Installing *PS2* kexts provided by @cele_82 lock my laptop's internal keyboard. External USB keyboards works as expected. Eventually I used *PS2* from ##### and they work acceptable.

6. Docking station works really nice - both USB and HDMI outputs and even it's internal USB Audio output (could not test output yet).

7. Camera works out-of-the-box.

I am still fighting with the following:

1) WIFI (original one),

2) Bluetooth,

3) CPU scaling (does anyone know how to check it and enable turbo mode?)

4) internal keyboard (it have switched Windows and ALT keys while concurrently connected USB keyboard interprets these keys properly).

5) sleep,

6) internal audio,

7) mic.

I am just before BIOS upgrade and let's see if this will improve overall situation. I will keep you posted.

drsky

Maybe it's BIOS version related...you should update it beforehand imo.

With Cele_82's kexts Wifi and sound including mic work perfectly oob, so it's pretty odd that it won't in your case. Have you fixed all kexts permissions after installing them in S/L/E?

Bluetooth as far as I know of won't work for some reason, but in my case I've switched to another wifi/BT combo card (Dell 1702) and with an appropriate kext to enable BT now everything works great althou using my magic trackpad is somewhat problematic for some reason (jerkiness and lack of good responsiveness).

Sleep is another issue still to be solved...it's surely DSDT related.

CPU scaling...well you should just look for the appropriate SDDST for your CPU and use the chamelon flag to enable it (you know how to do this?).

Keep us posted.

in Windows and Linux Live i could work with the display but in Mac Os X my eyes got tired very quick.

Ok. I've managed to get pixel clock profile from Windows using PowerStrip.

After that i installed SwitchResX and added Custom Resolution with this clocks to Internal LCD and restarted. With this settings it's a little bit comfortable to my eyes i think.

I've attached custom resolution settings that i use:

post-887143-0-36668700-1370107778_thumb.png

Also there is some noise from place where cooler fan is placed but it's not from cooler. I think it's a problem with power management and that noise is randomly appears when using network through wifi/ethernet and virtual machine. This noise regularly appears when scrolling web page in Safari/Chrome browser.

And there is artifacts appears on screen after some time and in VMWare Fusion.

I think i need to sell this laptop :)

P.S. Also I've included my own calibrated display profile and dsdt that i extracted and patched myself with some modifications from cele_82's dsdt just for archive purposes.

For those who wants to make their own DSDT (and for me if i forgot something in future):

1. Download DSDT Editor. Google 'DSDT Editor' and use 1st link to insanelymac.

2. Extract dsdt when boot without any other dsdt in bootloader.

3. Find all first-level scopes in tree that starts with "\". rename all of them removing first character:eg "\_SB" to "_SB".

4. Find in tree _SB/PCI0/GFX0 and find scope inside that ends with "PCI0". It should be corrected to "^^PCI0"

5. Apply all patches from downloaded DSDT Editor from Sandy Bridge folder.

6. Try to compile. There will be about hundred errors. Find error that ends with "min/max". There should be two errors of that kind. Click on first of them. There should be code:

DWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,
			 0x00000000,		 // Granularity
			 0x00000000,		 // Range Minimum
			 0xFEAFFFFF,		 // Range Maximum
			 0x00000000,		 // Translation Offset
			 0x00000000,		 // Length
			 ,, _Y0D, AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)

replace to

DWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,
			 0x00000000,		 // Range Minimum
			 0xFEAFFFFF,		 // Range Maximum
			 0xFEB00000,		 // Length
			 ,, _Y0D, AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)

(//length parameter only corrected to 0xFEB00000)

For second error replace

0xFED40000,		 // Range Minimum
			 0xFED44FFF,		 // Range Maximum
			 0x00000000,		 // Length
			 ,, , AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)

for

0xFED40000,		 // Range Minimum
			 0xFED44FFF,		 // Range Maximum
			 0x00005000,		 // Length
			 ,, , AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)

(length param is replaced)

7.Find _DSM method in _SB/PCI0/GFX0 in DSDT from cele_82(first post) and copy it to _SB/PCI0/GFX0.

(The _DSM method must be only one if there is old _DSM method you need to add to it missing content from first post's DSDT)

This will enable graphics.

8.Find _DSM method in _SB/PCI0/HDEF in DSDT from cele_82(first post) and copy it to _SB/PCI0/HDEF.

(The _DSM method must be only one if there is old _DSM method you need to add to it missing content from first post's DSDT)

This will enable sound.

9.Compile and save file to /Extra/DSDT.aml

Internal LCD Calibrated 3.icc.zip

DSDT.aml.zip

• Like 2