Toshiba Satellite R830/835 OSX 10.8 10.9

cele_82

168 posts in this topic

Hi all,
I finally found some time to install (to try to install I'd better say) ML 10.8 on my Toshiba R830-1GZ

q521147toshibar8301g1in.jpg

The specs:

Chipset : Intel HM65
Intel Core i5 2450M @ 2500 MHz
6GB DDR3-SDRAM
Intel® HD 3000 Graphics Family PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0126&SUBSYS_00051179&REV_09\3&11583659&0&10
Hard Disk : Hitachi (640GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : MAT{censored}A DVD-RAM UJ8A2ES
Toshiba Internal LCD - 13.3"
Intel 82579V Ethernet Controller PCI (VEN_8086&DEV_1503)
Wifi + BT Combo card AR9002WB-1NG
AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCIe) VEN_168C&DEV_002B
AR3011 0cf3:3005 Atheros Communications, Inc. AR3011 Bluetooth
Audio Realtek ALC269 HDAUDIO (VEN_10EC&DEV_0269)

Installation:

- Create an USB bootable drive with 10.8 and the usual needed Extra extensions.. google how to do it.. maybe "tony usb osx 10.8 install" is a good search.
- Boot the usb with the -x -v flags otherwise you will not be able to the see the installer
- Install everything, partition the drive etc..
- Boot again from the USB selecting the hard disk partition this time(since there is no boot loader on the disk yet) with the -s -v -x boot flags
- Once in single mode, launch the last two commands suggested from the console in order to mount the osx partition,then cd to /System/Library/Extensions and delete AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext (rm -R AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext)
- Boot again using the USB and selecting the hard disk partition with the -v flag
- Install 10.8.2 combo update from website not from App Store and DON'T REBOOT
- Navigate to again to /System/Library/Extensions and delete again AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext
- Reboot and again use the USB and selecting the hard disk partition with the -v flag

Now is the time to add boot loader and extensions.. here I suggest first to Enable Remote Login from the sharing menu… so if your screen goes black you can understand if there's something going wrong sshing into your machine from another one.
Also it is boring but add a kext or a section of kext one by one so if something goes wrong you can always boot in single mode and revert the changes(MAKE ALWAYS backups of the originals!),

especially add as last step the CPUs one at last and use NullCPUPowermanagement.kext from your USB bootable drive Extra FOLDER throughout all the install process

- Install the Chameleon Bootloader many options here.. I've used the installer from Tony.. if you've found the website before..
- Add the kexts from the zip attached.. I would start with the VoodooPS2 one so you can get mouse and keyboard working without booting from usb, also before rebooting copy the Extra from the zip over your /Extra folder….

then add kext by kext and reboot after each one or each device section in order as I said to understand if things go wrong what went wrong.

All the time you install a kext please repair the permissions of the /System/Library/Extensions folder running from a terminal:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

Also another IMPORTANT thing is when you will be adding/playing with kext always override the default flags when booting with -f -v so the Kernel will actually re-read all the kexts in Extensions..

ALSO DISABLE SLEEP TIMER in Power Saving prefs.

Works:

-Sleep!!!
-Ethernet
-Wifi
-Trackpad multitouch (tested 2 fingers gestures)
-USB3 (before installing OSX it may be worth to upgrade the USB3 controller firmware, since I had an old one and I always had connections problems in Windows...before the update)
- Microphone, HeadPhones, Speakers, Line in(mono: it combines both inputs..not a priority for me at the moment)
- Brightness Controls (Fn+F12, Pause)
- CPU Power Management
- SD Card
- HDMI with Audio(tested at 1080p)

What's left to do:

- Brightness levels max/min after display sleep differs (workaround on post #12)
- Bluetooth.. may be a little bit difficult since there's a method out there for AR3011 but the card at least shows up under USB on that machines (like if you boot your Toshiba in Ubuntu Live) so not sure if there's a way to turn the AR3011 on somewhere with keys or DSDT…

Partially Working

- VGA out... read below... it is working if you connect a monitor before starting the system, not much control on resolution...

I'm writing all of this so hopefully we will be in a good number and we'll discover how to fix these last little things.

Many many thanks to Silvestr/glcnacy/mtek/macandrea for the teamwork!

10.9 guide here!

PLEASE LEAVE A FEEDBACK IF YOU HAVE R830... WE NEED TO BE MORE TO FIND OUT THE LAST BITS...

Toshiba R830_10.8.2_repack1.2.zip

Toshiba R830_10.8.2_repack1.3.zip

• Like 3

At the moment works smooth.. no major problems so far.. need to investigate if possibile to:

- make the internal mic work

- adjust the speed of the CPUs (not an expert of SSDT stuff here.. I got the cpu (i5 2450m) working at x8(792Mhz) and x16(1190Mhz).. would be nice to get the normal x25(2.5Ghz) as well.

- If the display goes to sleep brightness is restored to 100% but not in the controls...so if you were working at a minimun brightness you can't lower it down after the display sleep only going up...

Definitily faster than my WXP and 7 install.

Didn't do a full test on the battery but at the moment I think I'll get 4hr and 30 min roughly 5hrs

Got an DSDT very very kindly from silvestr... speedstep work very good here. got all the states from 800MHz to Turbo Boost 3.1Ghz... battery meter under 100% cpu load says 3hr50min left but in normal "office" condition you'll see around 4:40-5hr

Temperatures are very ok... left idle the CPUs are at 28-30 degrees, doing office work you are 36-50, under heavy load for 10min at max u reach 70-73degrees like in Windows (I suppose but the feeling is that)

Need to find when time available a way to make the internal mic work.

Still untested my side, ethernet, HDMI (Audio and Video), SD Card Reader.

I've added a new "pack" to download with almost everything avaiable at the moment.

PS you can get rid of AHCI 3rd party kext if you patch IOAHCIFamily.kext .. the boot will be faster as well.(1-2sec)

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS
sudo mv IOAHCIBlockStorage IOAHCIBlockStorage.orig
sudo cp IOAHCIBlockStorage.orig IOAHCIBlockStorage
sudo /usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\x8b\x4a\x00\x00\xeb\x03|\x8b\x4a\x00\x00\xe8\x01|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage
sudo /usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x0e\x48\x8d\x3d\x72\x92\x00\x00|\xbf\xc8\x00\x00\x00\x90\x90\x90\x90|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Will write a quick guide soon....

• Like 1

From the USB drive with 10.8 I've installed using the boot options -x -v

Dear Cele 82,

My laptop is Protege R830. It seems to be same as yours. I try intall 10.8.2 by ###### but fail to launch the install screen.

May I know how you launch it? Thanks!

i'll may write something quickly but the install itself it is standard so if you search how to create an USB installer for Mountain Lion... you'll get the Toshiba installed booting with -x -v (the installer)

Than add the kexts one section at time so you can understand if something creates kernel panics.

And that's it..

• Like 1

A quick one on the brightness.

The level of brightness (max/min) that I get off boot for me is ideal, also for the battery consumption.. but if the display goes to sleep the levels (max/min) after sleep are different.. especially the min level is basically almost the max level before sleep.

Workaround for the time being(I hope other people has this laptop so we can start to help each other like in the HP ProBook users)

- Set the brightness to 0 (lamps off) instead of starting the screensaver.

To do so:

- Disable computer sleep / Display sleep in Energy Saver

- Select a timer for your screensaver

- copy setbrightness to /usr/sbin

- make sure permissions are

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 13536 3 Jul 21:31 setbrightness

- cd /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/

- sudo mv ScreenSaverEngine ScreenSaverEngine.ok

- sudo emacs ScreenSaverEngine

- write "/usr/sbin/setbrightness 0"

- Save ((CTRL+X CTRL+S) and (CTRL+X CTRL+C))

- chmod 755 ScreenSaverEngine

Now instead of the screensaver you'll basically set 0 the lamps of the LCD panel.. saving a bit of hours of their life. To increase the brightness press Pause button on the keyboard.

PS you want to set the brightness at login to min, just:

- copy setBrightness.plist to /Library/LaunchAgents

- make sure permissions are -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 416 17 Dec 22:05 setBrightness.plist

Now when you login your brightness will be set to 10%.

Remember that creating a profile for you monitor isn't a bad idea since you can get a bit more of contrast adjusting the gamma manually.

--- EDIT -----

Actually is quite useful to have this different range of brightness before and after display sleep.. since if you are under the sun or in avery bright room you may want to sleep the display with and hot corner shortcut to get the full brightness... other story if/when we are going to have full sleep working on the mac..

Brightness.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Good things for your R830 and your eyes is to create several display profiles useful to enhance the contrast especially in low light conditions.. I have created 3 for my Toshiba with different color temperature.. and found this useful app to switch between them from the menu bar.

http://khiltd.com/software/profilemenu

Hope that helps

Dear semite, we need to work together.. mic can work I'm confident but we need to test kexts etc etc... If you install OSX on your Toshiba and start playing with the audio extensions maybe you can get a solution for everyone...

Unfortunately I don't have at the moment.

Poking around with sleep and few other things...

tried without thinking all the darwave flags (0,11,10,8,1,no) to see if sleep it was actually working by itself without digging into the DSDT... but no luck...

getting and SD card tomorrow to test the SD card which at least shows up in PCI bus...

screenshot20130121at210.png

Note about skype: during calls Skype will use only one speaker if a microphone(internal) has been detected.. this is due Macbook having problems with their left speaker larsening(new verb :) ) with the mic.

Have a look on the web it's everywhere, indeed if you use line in or headphone you'll get normal stereo sound.

I've been playing with Linux VMs in Parallels today... seems parallels 7 trigger a Kernel Panic on AppleACPIBatteryManager or AppleACPIPlatform when booting without cache (-f)... wondering why but when booting normal is completely fine.(tried several times)

Those two kext are from Lion I believe, needed just to show the battery but I thought to write this as a memo for me or anyone else using Parallels.

• Like 1

Hi Semite..first:

Do you have a Satellite or a Protege r830? They might different...

Second as I suggested, install OSX and then add the kext to S/L/E by group(video,audio etc...) so you what went wrong if one it's causing the problem. Also always repair the permissions for the kext folder and boot without cache (-f)