I finally found some time to install (to try to install I'd better say) ML 10.8 on my Toshiba R830-1GZ
Chipset : Intel HM65
Intel Core i5 2450M @ 2500 MHz
Intel® HD 3000 Graphics Family PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0126&SUBSYS_00051179&REV_09\3&11583659&0&10
Hard Disk : Hitachi (640GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8A2ES
Toshiba Internal LCD - 13.3"
Intel 82579V Ethernet Controller PCI (VEN_8086&DEV_1503)
Wifi + BT Combo card AR9002WB-1NG
AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCIe) VEN_168C&DEV_002B
AR3011 0cf3:3005 Atheros Communications, Inc. AR3011 Bluetooth
Audio Realtek ALC269 HDAUDIO (VEN_10EC&DEV_0269)
- Create an USB bootable drive with 10.8 and the usual needed Extra extensions.. google how to do it.. maybe "tony usb osx 10.8 install" is a good search.
- Boot the usb with the -x -v flags otherwise you will not be able to the see the installer
- Install everything, partition the drive etc..
- Boot again from the USB selecting the hard disk partition this time(since there is no boot loader on the disk yet) with the -s -v -x boot flags
- Once in single mode, launch the last two commands suggested from the console in order to mount the osx partition,then cd to /System/Library/Extensions and delete AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext (rm -R AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext)
- Boot again using the USB and selecting the hard disk partition with the -v flag
- Install 10.8.2 combo update from website not from App Store and DON'T REBOOT
- Navigate to again to /System/Library/Extensions and delete again AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext
- Reboot and again use the USB and selecting the hard disk partition with the -v flag
Now is the time to add boot loader and extensions.. here I suggest first to Enable Remote Login from the sharing menu… so if your screen goes black you can understand if there's something going wrong sshing into your machine from another one.
Also it is boring but add a kext or a section of kext one by one so if something goes wrong you can always boot in single mode and revert the changes(MAKE ALWAYS backups of the originals!),
especially add as last step the CPUs one at last and use NullCPUPowermanagement.kext from your USB bootable drive Extra FOLDER throughout all the install process
- Install the Chameleon Bootloader many options here.. I've used the installer from Tony.. if you've found the website before..
- Add the kexts from the zip attached.. I would start with the PS2 ones so you can get mouse and keyboard working without booting from usb, also before rebooting copy the Extra from the zip over your /Extra folder….
then add kext by kext and reboot after each one or each device section in order as I said to understand if things go wrong what went wrong.
All the time you install a kext please repair the permissions of the /System/Library/Extensions folder running from a terminal:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
Also another IMPORTANT thing is when you will be adding/playing with kext always override the default flags when booting with -f -v so the Kernel will actually re-read all the kexts in Extensions..
ALSO DISABLE SLEEP TIMER in Power Saving prefs.
-Trackpad multitouch (tested 2 fingers gestures)
-USB3 (before installing OSX it may be worth to upgrade the USB3 controller firmware, since I had an old one and I always had connections problems in Windows...before the update)
- Microphone, HeadPhones, Speakers, Line in(mono: it combines both inputs..not a priority for me at the moment)
- Brightness Controls (Fn+F12, Pause)
- CPU Power Management
- SD Card
- HDMI with Audio(tested at 1080p)
What's left to do:
- Brightness levels max/min after display sleep differs (workaround on post #12)
- Bluetooth.. may be a little bit difficult since there's a method out there for AR3011 but the card at least shows up under USB on that machines (like if you boot your Toshiba in Ubuntu Live) so not sure if there's a way to turn the AR3011 on somewhere with keys or DSDT…
- VGA out... pretty sure if you mess with the DSDT you can enable it... but I don't need it and I'm not going even near it...
I'm writing all of this so hopefully we will be in a good number and we'll discover how to fix these last little things.
Many many thanks to Silvestr for the DSDT.
PLEASE LEAVE A FEEDBACK IF YOU HAVE R830... WE NEED TO BE MORE TO FIND OUT THE LAST BITS...