36 replies to this topic

GreenElf

GreenElf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Hi folks,

I have read many pages about how Apple now "officially unofficially" supports 3rd party (PC) GPUs; Is there some complied list of what works stright out of the box with which OSes? As in supported by 10.6.8/10.7.x/10.8.x.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 2,062 posts
Nvidia 8xxx GTX to the latest GTX 6xx Series

ATI 4xxx series (Mostly the 48xx series) through the latest AMD 7xxx series as of 10.8.3

Low end models of ATI/AMD have some issues.

GreenElf

GreenElf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for the response Rampage. What about a Radeon 6670? I've read a lot that these should be pretty plug-n-play in 10.8.x. I'm considering it, but would rather not have to install hacks to have it run. This is a MacPro 3.1 (2008) I'm looking to put it in. Thank you again!

styrian

styrian

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
I have read about some cards, that work on Mac Pro. But you will mostly get gfx output after reaching the desktop. You might have no bootup screen.

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 2,062 posts
Buy a AMD 6870 and then got to Netkas to flash the card with EFI to get the boot screen. Also Nvidia cards will work OOB with the Retail drivers so I would not get the AMD 6670 that you had said since I have never seen people getting that to work on a real mac.

GreenElf

GreenElf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
So Any NVidia card, and with ML's drivers, or the ones from NVidia? Either is ok really. I don't mostly care for the EFI boot screen, though it would be nice, as much as having a stable working GPU for games & Photoshop.

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 2,062 posts
For Games and Photoshop especially you should get a GTX 580. There are GTX 580's that work under Mac that you can buy which for you case would be the safest bet:

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1555.l2649

GreenElf

GreenElf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Thanks again Rampage, for taking the time to answer my noobish questions. How about an NVidia GT 630? There's a 4Gb card there for a decent price. What are the odds of that working?

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 2,062 posts
They have sleep issues and it is just a rebranded fermi card. Look around for a GTX 560 Ti or non Ti. Also you will not be able to get the performance you need with a GT 630...

GreenElf

GreenElf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Heh! I bow to your munificence! :D

Seriously, thanks for the help! (...and I might have other dumb questions to follow)

GreenElf

GreenElf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
heh heh! Hey there, checking in again! What're your thoughts on non-EFI versions of Apple, sanctioned cards, e.g. a radeon 5770 by another vendor? Plug 'n play, or shaky?

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 2,062 posts
No

Giorgio_multi

Giorgio_multi

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 9,514 posts
  • Interests:Elettronica in genere, informatica e Sistemi Operativi in particolare. Cani da slitta e Sleddog....
6670 works ootb in ML

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 2,062 posts

6670 works ootb in ML

No

He is asking about a real mac.

GreenElf

GreenElf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Yes, a real Mac. Guess I should have said... :o

GreenElf

GreenElf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Thanks for the response Rampage. What about a Radeon 6670? I've read a lot that these should be pretty plug-n-play in 10.8.x. I'm considering it, but would rather not have to install hacks to have it run. This is a MacPro 3.1 (2008) I'm looking to put it in. Thank you again!

So wait... an ATI 4870 would be plug and play OOTB? (no EFI withstanding of course)

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 2,062 posts
No

GreenElf

GreenElf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
ha ha! OK, I though you said the ATI 4X series is compatible.

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 2,062 posts
I did but that was before I knew it was for a real mac. The 48xx series needs flashing and is very risky since they do not have dual BIOS.

GreenElf

GreenElf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
....And here I go again... :D Thoughts on a Radeon 6870, workable without flashing in 10.8? and I'm sure I know the answer, but crossfire does not work with non-EFI cards?

Edit: Hrm... So some of these cards I see on NewEgg, e.g. an MSI GT620, list 96 cuda cores, but list it as a fermi card? I've done a lot of reading, but can't seem to find a definitive answer on what will work and what won't... :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy