Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, meaganmargaret said:

Sure, I'll try it, but is this a one time thing?  Or, do you intend to continue to provide this for the foreseeable future? 

Because a package like Clover needs to have ongoing support for X99 and X299 boards, or everyone who has one of those boards will be forced to Opencore, sooner or later.....

I'll let you know if it works.

Hello again! :) 

OpenCore developers are the same ones as the AptioMemoryFix developers. Aaand...just to give you a bit of context, the reason why AptioMemoryFix can't be compiled anymore under Clover is exactly because they shifted their focus to their own project (OpenCore), which doesn't seem to have much in common with Clover (I could be wrong here). They have different dependencies. And so, when you try to compile AptioMemoryFix under Clover, it will throw a bunch of OpenCore-related errors. That's why it's been decided not to include it with Clover package anymore and focus on the more "in-house" options, even if that requires some work to get those drivers up and running for everyone.

I'm sure you don't really care if it's called AptioMemoryFix or OsXAptioFixDrv, as long as it works! Which, right now, it doesn't.

So, if the new MemoryFix driver (posted above) works for you, I'm pretty sure it will be included with Clover, by default. Since the problem you're facing is probably not just on your computer. So, adding it by default to Clover, will probably benefit other users, as well.

Of course, this is only my opinion. I could be wrong. :) So I'm curious to hear from you again and hope your issue will be fixed with this driver.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Florin9doi said:

I think that the new PatchAPIC changes may be narrowed a little to avoid reported errors:

https://pastebin.com/hb6CjyWA

Thanks, committed to 5037.

2 hours ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

Slice sorry for this question again,, defaul sample of config.plist always drop DMAR table. But i have tested to delete this, AppleVTD is shown in IOREG (DMAR ACPI TABLE) is loaded in macOS with no problem. I have tested it in Broadwell, Skylake, Kabylake and Coffelake.

Is this neccessery to drop DMAR table??? or can you point me to the link about old issue with DMAR table?

This is very old issue, several years ago, macOS just crashed at start. The workarounds were dropDMAR or dart=0.

May be there was Apple's mistake fixed in new macOS.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Slice said:

Thanks, committed to 5037.

This is very old issue, several years ago, macOS just crashed at start. The workarounds were dropDMAR or dart=0.

May be there was Apple's mistake fixed in new macOS.

Thanks, i will keep using this table. I don't get any issue with this table.
image.thumb.png.2f3612a4e0b28dfe9efef98ff5b98e10.png

2 hours ago, arsradu said:

Hello again! :) 

OpenCore developers are the same ones as the AptioMemoryFix developers. Aaand...just to give you a bit of context, the reason why AptioMemoryFix can't be compiled anymore under Clover is exactly because they shifted their focus to their own project (OpenCore), which doesn't seem to have much in common with Clover (I could be wrong here). They have different dependencies. And so, when you try to compile AptioMemoryFix under Clover, it will throw a bunch of OpenCore-related errors. That's why it's been decided not to include it with Clover package anymore and focus on the more "in-house" options, even if that requires some work to get those drivers up and running for everyone.

I'm sure you don't really care if it's called AptioMemoryFix or OsXAptioFixDrv, as long as it works! Which, right now, it doesn't.

So, if the new MemoryFix driver (posted above) works for you, I'm pretty sure it will be included with Clover, by default. Since the problem you're facing is probably not just on your computer. So, adding it by default to Clover, will probably benefit other users, as well.

Of course, this is only my opinion. I could be wrong. :) So I'm curious to hear from you again and hope your issue will be fixed with this driver.

You are welcome to use latest AptioMemoryFix R27. It's prebuild binary still available at the same place. It works fine with all hardware you used it before. You can implement this latest binary in Clover Pkg and use it as long as you want. Nobody takes it from you.

And yes. Unfortunately it will not get any updates in future. But it works now with all hardware without any problem. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, meaganmargaret said:

Sure, I'll try it, but is this a one time thing?  Or, do you intend to continue to provide this for the foreseeable future? 

Because a package like Clover needs to have ongoing support for X99 and X299 boards, or everyone who has one of those boards will be forced to Opencore, sooner or later.....

I'll let you know if it works.

Hi

I have a pretty full x299 system (thunderbolt, 2 nvme disk, a motherboard with independent bridge for pciex, different traditional disk and ssd)

with clover no problem at all

with OC different problem after first boot.

So i would like to understand better which problem do you have with your x299 rig

TY

5037 no good black screen no verbose mode, nothing

I am not using the patch APIC

Dell Optiplex 790  6 series system with a GT 710 Working OOB

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

5037 no good black screen no verbose mode, nothing

I am not using the patch APIC

Dell Optiplex 790  6 series system with a GT 710 Working OOB

Yeah, me too.. I believe there's no issue with AcpiPatcher.c on my local mach since I was re-using clean version from SF (after r5037 committed). Mach powered on, loading Clover, select macOS vol on GUI, press Enter to boot > blackscreen (with super high cpu load). Just force shutdown then. Ah, no worry.. rolling back to prev. version via EFI Shell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meaganmargaret said:

Simple.  without Aptio it doesn't boot.  OsxAptio* it doesn't boot.  I thought I said that, but I'll repeat it here.

I have an Asus X299 Prime Deluxe I with thunderbolt, 1 nvme disk, 3 ssds, Radeon VII....

Hi

I have quoted you because your assertion is wrong in previous message

Support is there for x299 and x99 system in clover

I am using clover 5024

attached memory file I can use with some simple explanation:

1)AptioMemoryFix-64.efi

2)OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi

3)OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi

1) and 3) solution start without any boot arg for memory

2) start with can't allocate memory error

2) start fine with boot arg slide=128 (as we know from months and we discuss this subject here with apianti and also in a new Italian osx forum (macos86.it))

If I can permit it..I think problem could be a difficult bios configuration to adopt with one or other memory efi files

In particular way Asus motherboard had a CSM or above 4g parameter which have different behavior if you have o less a TB adapter installed in your system

You should investigate it

AptioMemoryFix-64.efi.zip

OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi.zip

OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi.zip

14 hours ago, meaganmargaret said:

So, I have used AptioMemoryFix on my X299 system to manage booting and it has worked extremely well. The bad news is that AptioMemoryFix has been discontinued. No new versions or updates. It's done. Over and out....and of course, AptioMemoryFix is no longer included in Clover, I assume particularly for the reason that some knew about AptioMemoryFix's pending demise.

As recently as Clover 5033, I have tried all three of the OsxAptio* versions that are supposed to provide memory mgmt during boot, and they all failed. Badly failed. Couldn't even get a display in verbose mode from any of them.

If you use Opencore, there is supposed to be FwRuntimeServices.efi, which may be an offshoot of AptioMemoryFix, but it only works with Opencore, and not in Clover.

It appears as if the developers of Clover have decided that my only option is to use Opencore, or sell my X299 board......

This sucks....

Edited by Guest
stars to start :)

@meaganmargaret

Have you tried something I was saying you in previous message...

problem is not memory driver..but a bios/memory driver configuration..overall with Asus motherboard (x99/x299)

Edited by Guest

@meaganmargaret

maybe it is my English :)

I have done some tests for you

See 3 points marked in above messages

AptioMemoryFix-64.efi  (acidanthera) works out of the box 

OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi needs boot arg slide=128

OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi (I think in this has worked @vit9696 of acidanthera) works out of the box

if you have a black screen before bootmenu try to off your display and on again..it could happens..

also remember other advice about above4g setting...

by the way..if you will buy an Asus Sage as mine..you will be gold with OpenCore boot loader if you use only a NVME on horizontal M2 slot..

If you put another one in vertical slot..you will have some strange behavior and a NO working system

I have said in a correct way this in Acidanthera bugtraker GitHub, but 

@vandroiy2012 classified my problem with a label "Help wanted" and  @vit9696close it with a message I have not understood fine ;)

so for now clover saves my rig OSX experience :)

Edited by Guest
added message from by the way :)

Guest ricoc90
59 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

Okay, for the first time, some useful information.  Most of the time on this forum I have spent my time defending myself rather getting insights about the problem

Maybe that has something to do with your attitude. All I've seen you doing is just ranting about the fact that "you want a bootloader that works and Clover does not work so you'll use OpenCore instead" without willing to cooperate and getting deeper into your issue. @vector sigma gave you a test driver. Did you test it? Where's your report? Nothing can be fixed if there's no information provided.

Hackintosh, for the most part, is a community driven project.

Edited by ricoc90

@meaganmargaret

when you have time check all message above and for me your only error is to  say this:

(and many other users of X99 and X299 systems)

because clover can boot fine with many memory efi files if you have time to investigate right combinations for your rig

so take your time and check all carefully :)

4 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

Ranting?  I'm ranting?  I'm expressing a rational displeasure with the fact that AptioMemoryFix is the only boot memory utility that's worked for my board (and many other users of X99 and X299 systems) and that was the only boot memory utility that Clover offered that works with my system.  I'd like an alternative, obviously, that would allow me to continue to use Clover. But maybe I shouldn't.  Maybe Opencore really is the only alternative.

I'm sorry. Does anyone prohibits you using AptioMemoryFix now and in future? Why are you not reading what i wrote you in AMF thread?

So now please explain why are searching alternative if AMF works just fine and will work in future on your MB?

• Like 1

@meaganmargaret

he says a different thing

for now your system is working fine with AMF (and in my opinion your system could also work with others EFI drivers), problem for all could be if people update MB firmware and MB firmware adds some things not supported now.

then, future is future (no knowledge for it) and apple could also block fakesmc or virtualsmc kext and puff...

see also Nvidia driver for new OSX...

:)

Edited by Guest
some corrections

Guest ricoc90
2 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

Do you know if Clover intends to include in their distributions in the future?

If you (and others) did test it with positive results then most likely it will be included.

3 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

Well, you kind of made my point....no one knows for sure how long AMF will work - anything, any new "something", such as a bios upgrade could cause it to fail.  Without constant updating, AMF is doomed to fail, sometime.  But our defense against correcting things that Apple does that disable our ability to work is the constant intentional development of new utilities.....

by the way, Asus retired many of latest x299 bios..they did some errors i think so it is out from users hands this future...in my case latest firmware caused many disaster in nvram and in other parts

so, the only thing we can do is helping dev with goodwill to produce stuff useful in case of new products or os...

so debug is more useful to create a case clover vs OC (IMHO)

16 hours ago, vandroiy2012 said:

You are welcome to use latest AptioMemoryFix R27. It's prebuild binary still available at the same place. It works fine with all hardware you used it before. You can implement this latest binary in Clover Pkg and use it as long as you want. Nobody takes it from you.

And yes. Unfortunately it will not get any updates in future. But it works now with all hardware without any problem. 

Not true. I have tested every version and flavor of *memoryfix along with every conceivable slide calculation. The ONLY thing that works is the free2000 version for my Gigabyte Z390 board.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pkdesign said:

Not true. I have tested every version and flavor of *memoryfix along with every conceivable slide calculation. The ONLY thing that works is the free2000 version for my Gigabyte Z390 board.

So sorry. Aptiomemoryfix R27 works perfectly on my Z390 Aorus Master board 

3 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

So sorry. Aptiomemoryfix R27 works perfectly on my Z390 Aorus Master board 

Where do you get Aptiomemoryfix R27?