Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,818 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

Btw problem is solved, i have post it above, 

Forget legacy,, the graphics problem still can be fixed with UEFI boot + Legacy Option Rom Disable + CSMVideoDxe.efi :D

We have to remember that Legacy Option ROM can cause Red Panic in legacy clover.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Slice said:

We have to remember that Legacy Option ROM can cause Red Panic in legacy clover.

I thought every LEgacy boot always use Legacy Option ROM. Because the option can't be disabled in Legacy Mode

Edited by Andres ZeroCross

suggest one.

there is EFI-Backup folder in root in catalina beta4.

to remove this folder, we have to 

sudo mount -uw /

sudo killall Finder

but in dp4, i can't remove backup folder like this

can we change better location of efi-backup folder in catalina?

스크린샷 2019-07-31 오후 6.32.50.png

1 hour ago, Sherlocks said:

suggest one.

there is EFI-Backup folder in root in catalina beta4.

to remove this folder, we have to 

sudo mount -uw /

sudo killall Finder

but in dp4, i can't remove backup folder like this

스크린샷 2019-07-31 오후 6.32.50.png

Should not put backup file on root for all macOS versions
In my opinion it should be in $HOME or Desktop

edit******

I just try 

sudo rm -r "${3}"/EFI-Backups

its work :wink_anim:

Edited by chris1111
ad working command to remove efi-backups
  • Like 3

Does any one know what causes the duplicate UEFI boot entries? more specifically why this issue never existed for me prior. ive tried updating/downgrading my bios and that doesnt resolve the issue. Is this something in clover? all ive been able to read is that this is a bios bug... yet it sorta came out of random (after the machine locked up exporting some video) . and no previous bios versions corrected the issue.

any help is greatly appreciated i would love to fix this issue.

Guest ricoc90

3 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

Maybe it's an idea to integrate the option to delete the backup folder in Clover prefpane?

Honestly I don't think there's a better location. The root is quite an easy reachable place in case you need to get access to it through a shell etc

1978093285_Schermafbeelding2019-07-31om15_12_08.png.9d90c371f0c3625fdd4f1874d4a57611.png

Edited by ricoc90

I have been trying to work on getting a proper slide value for my *memoryfix. Am I suppose to be able to get a text file of my memory map, i.e. memmap > memmap.txt? That command does not work. I can only use memmap and take screen shots.

3 minutes ago, pkdesign said:

I have been trying to work on getting a proper slide value for my *memoryfix. Am I suppose to be able to get a text file of my memory map, i.e. memmap > memmap.txt? That command does not work. I can only use memmap and take screen shots.

what formula are you using for that? 

2 minutes ago, MICKHAEL said:

what formula are you using for that? 

The formula I am using is: (Start Value / 200000) +1

The problem is I am having a hard time understanding which and what values to use. They also keep changing with each method.

This is what I doing currently:

At boot with AptioFix I get Error allocating 0x11971 pages at ...

0x11971 calculates to 72049

In my memmap, I calculate the #Pages value (in Type>Available) to find the first that is more than 72049

That is Available > Start B825000

(B82500/200000)+1 = 0x5D or 93

Aaaand still no boot. :wallbash:

IMG_3413.JPG

memmap.JPG

18 hours ago, chris1111 said:

Should not put backup file on root for all macOS versions
In my opinion it should be in $HOME or Desktop

edit******

I just try 

sudo rm -r "${3}"/EFI-Backups

its work :wink_anim:

Great works. Thanks :)

EDIT: Other method found in Apple Developer forum:

SIP must be disable

Mount drive for read and write (sudo mount -uw /).
Assign rights for read and right ([sudo] chmod - R 775 /your\ folder\).
Delete it ([sudo] rm -rf /your\ folder\).

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ellaosx said:

It should never be on desktop

Agreed. Using $HOME/Desktop from with in the package.... the result will be '/var/root/Desktop' i.e. to access the backup you will have to enable the root account and then having just the same problem, i.e. the file system is still read write, but all this with more and more complications.  

P.S. Just after installing with Clover's package the file system become read-write... and you can rm what you want, easily.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vector sigma said:

Agreed. Using $HOME/Desktop from with in the package.... the result will be '/var/root/Desktop' i.e. to access the backup you will have to enable the root account and then having just the same problem, i.e. the file system is still read write, but all this with more and more complications.  

Is the Clover installer running as root? So something like $HOME/Documents will also not work? What about the /Users/Shared folder?

8 hours ago, vector sigma said:

P.S. Just after installing with Clover's package the file system become read-write... and you can rm what you want, easily.

after update5, can remove backup folder with drag-drop without rm in terminal. just need to enable rw.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 1:54 PM, MICKHAEL said:

try slide argument 128
anyway, I found another formula)) start*0x100000/0x200000

https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/blob/master/Additional/slide_calc.md

Didn’t work. I've given up. Until someone fixes the issue with *memory fixes and Gigabyte boards, I am sticking with the 200free version.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 4:50 AM, joevt said:

Is the Clover installer running as root? So something like $HOME/Documents will also not work? What about the /Users/Shared folder?

yep. /User/Shared can only be used in the current OS and not in the target volume, unless a /Users/Shared folder exists (not the case of a pen drive)... then running from different OSes you will have more than one backup.

On 8/2/2019 at 5:19 AM, Sherlocks said:

after update5, can remove backup folder with drag-drop without rm in terminal. just need to enable rw.

That only means that Apple fix Finder.app and now is observing for the filesystem changes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vector sigma said:

you will have more than one backup.

Can never have too many backups...

But don't you mean there may be more than one backup location as there is only ever one backup per install attempt?

In other words, doing an install will do a backup, but the backup could be located in a different location from where previous backups were made if you installed from an OS that is different from the OS that was used during previous installations?

6 hours ago, joevt said:

But don't you mean there may be more than one backup location as there is only ever one backup per install attempt?

In other words, doing an install will do a backup, but the backup could be located in a different location from where previous backups were made if you installed from an OS that is different from the OS that was used during previous installations?

Wanted to say that now the backup is made in the root of the target volume, so a backup always belong to it. Instead, supposing we want to made a backup in $HOME... this is the home of the current OS (can't be otherwise) and running the pkg from another partition you will have a backup in two different places. Additionally you will don't know if your backup is the backup of your internal HD/SSD or your pen drive (in case you want update Clover on a usb stick) and also without temporal logic....  so why the root of the target volume is a perfect place....  

P.S. The package also actually takes care of not making a lot of of backups and only takes latest

1 hour ago, zkingtut said:

@vector sigma

Please my laptop keyboard and trackpad stopped to work once I've updated clover from 5018 to 5033 

What would be the reason ? If I compare between the two EFI are exactly the same drivers and kexts 

So I rolled back to 5018 

Thank you in advance 

Between 5018 and 5033 there are a lot of commits regarding translations (which does not affect Clover any how) and other minor fixes. What can affect keyboards/trackpad maybe r5028, but not sure.

1 hour ago, vector sigma said:

so why the root of the target volume is a perfect place....

Ok, but the selected target volume is only part of the install. The actual target is the EFI partition on the same disk as the target, correct? Backups are not put in EFI because space is limited in the EFI partition. The same could be said for partitions on a USB stick - in that case a backup location related to the current OS might be preferable.

1 hour ago, vector sigma said:

Additionally you will don't know if your backup is the backup of your internal HD/SSD or your pen drive (in case you want update Clover on a usb stick)

A backup could contain a text log file that describes the installation options, the version of clover to be installed, the target, source of the backup, and destination EFI (I suppose the last two are the same thing). "diskutil list" for the entire setup, "diskutil info /dev/disk?" for the affected disks, "diskutil info /dev/disk?s?" for the EFI partition, the target, and current OS if it differs). Actually, this log file could be a copy of the new "Clover_Install_Log.txt" file that is placed in the EFI partition.

2 hours ago, vector sigma said:

The package also actually takes care of not making a lot of of backups and only takes latest

I have multiple macOS partitions (different versions of macOS). Each has a EFI-Backups folder. I have 8 backup folders in the EFI-Backups folder on the root of my HighSierra disk. The folders are named after the version number (r4077 to r4910; I am currently running r4945). Each version folder has one or more date/time folders (date/time of backup). Each date/time folder has an EFI folder. The new log file would go in the date/time folder, outside the EFI folder. The EFI folder contains an old log file for when that EFI folder's Clover was last installed. Hard drive space is cheap, so I don't mind having all these folders (nearly 1000 MB on the HighSierra partition) and I can delete old backups manually.

5 hours ago, zkingtut said:

@vector sigma

Please my laptop keyboard and trackpad stopped to work once I've updated clover from 5018 to 5033 

What would be the reason ? If I compare between the two EFI are exactly the same drivers and kexts 

So I rolled back to 5018 

Thank you in advance 

Please provide preboot.log. I see no reason Clover 5018 will be better then 5033.

• Like 1

I'm running 5022 at the moment, when I upgrade to 5033 my computer doesn't boot, just sits at Apple logo, no progress bar.

edit: fixed, doesn't like the AudioDxe.efi

Edited by STLVNUB
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, joevt said:

Ok, but the selected target volume is only part of the install. The actual target is the EFI partition on the same disk as the target, correct? Backups are not put in EFI because space is limited in the EFI partition. The same could be said for partitions on a USB stick - in that case a backup location related to the current OS might be preferable.

A backup could contain a text log file that describes the installation options, the version of clover to be installed, the target, source of the backup, and destination EFI (I suppose the last two are the same thing). "diskutil list" for the entire setup, "diskutil info /dev/disk?" for the affected disks, "diskutil info /dev/disk?s?" for the EFI partition, the target, and current OS if it differs). Actually, this log file could be a copy of the new "Clover_Install_Log.txt" file that is placed in the EFI partition.

I have multiple macOS partitions (different versions of macOS). Each has a EFI-Backups folder. I have 8 backup folders in the EFI-Backups folder on the root of my HighSierra disk. The folders are named after the version number (r4077 to r4910; I am currently running r4945). Each version folder has one or more date/time folders (date/time of backup). Each date/time folder has an EFI folder. The new log file would go in the date/time folder, outside the EFI folder. The EFI folder contains an old log file for when that EFI folder's Clover was last installed. Hard drive space is cheap, so I don't mind having all these folders (nearly 1000 MB on the HighSierra partition) and I can delete old backups manually.

By your words I can only understand that you agreed with me? (only one backup directory at the root of the target Volume which its ESP always belong to... i.e. just target the same volume)