Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,818 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Slice said:

May be it is better to double efi folder on both disk0 and disk1?

I made some testing with apfs, core storage, Fusion and RAID with both hfs and APFS, the problem is that you can add a lot of Volumes. Plus I've no idea how to decompress each Payload from with in the package inside any potential ESP mirrored.

new espfinder 0.3 Beta:

1. RAID mirroring supported with both APFS and old filesystems
  2. Fusion drives
  3. CoreStorage
  4. mix of the above
  5. now a mount point is accepted as target volume
  6. a whole disk is accepted as well
  7. possibility to make the dump or not

new usage:

Usage examples:
espfinder -t disk2s4
or
espfinder -t /
or
espfinder -t /Volumes/VolName
or
espfinder -d -t /

-t	mount point or BSD Name, required option.

-d	a dump at ~/Desktop/espfinder.plist will be made.

so don't forget the -t option before the target disk or volume. Please try and report. To help me with debugging you have to ad -d as well:

espfinder -d -t /

and post espfinder.plist generated.

espfinder 0.3 Beta.zip

Edited by vector sigma
corrected the "usage" in 0.3
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

I did have a copy of AptionMemoryFix available and as soon as I installed it and removed the OsXAptioFix3Drv,

Hi, the question is why OsXAptioFix3Drv get selected. Doesn't happen by case, you choose it, at least in past.

As I've already said if one of the Memory Fix drivers are selected the installer takes care of deleting the conflictual ones as you cannot load more the one of them, so any of:

OsXAptioFixDrv.efi

OsXAptioFix2Drv.efi

OsxLowMemFixDrv.efi 

AptioMemoryFix.efi 

or any that has "memfix" or "aptiofix" in its name get deleted.

My point is that you have OsXAptioFix3Drv selected when you install Clover, things that happens only if you once selected him. Otherwise your AptioMemoryFix.efi will stay there alive until only you decide to delete it. So please ensure to uncheck OsXAptioFix3Drv in the installer the next time and for subsequent installations this will not happen again because the choice is not recordered.

53 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

Also, actually, I did need to adjust the directories so that the both would boot

Why? The installer made a perfect copy of your drivers64 and drivers64UEFI respectively in drivers/BIOS and drivers/UEFI, without deleting the old directories and their drivers so that you have to do nothing. And that only (only) happens if 'drivers' doesn't exist so that a migration only happen once. Clover now use drivers/UEFI or drivers/BIOS so is it useless to keep both just because if new path is found, that will be used.

Uncheck OsXAptioFix3Drv and you'll be fine. Directories just does nothing for Clover and the package only update new paths.

Edited by vector sigma
typo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, telepati said:

Can somebody explain what are the differences between these three?

OsXAptioFixDrv.efi

OsXAptioFix2Drv.efi

OsXAptioFix3Drv.efi

From my memory (no pun intended):

OsXAptioFixDrv   -> first version, it was ok until Yosemite...I think? Then Apple changed something and it would just not work anymore. At least that's when I remember I had to update to OsXAptioFix2Drv.

OsXAptioFix2Drv -> as I said above, it fixed some issues with older (but not that old) versions of MacOS (at the time, called OS X).

OsXAptioFix3Drv -> added fixes for NVRAM (on boards without native nvram). No need for EmuVariable with this one.

Now, of course, there could be other changes, as well. These are just the ones I know of. :)

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, vector sigma said:

Yes, just a double click with the mouse.

Can be any also "MyCoolDirectory" lol e.g.:

so create edk2 directory inside your cool directory:

mkdir -p ~/Desktop/MyCoolDirectory/edk2

then change directory:

cd ~/Desktop/MyCoolDirectory/edk2

then checkout Clover:

svn checkout https://svn.code.sf.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/ Clover

dowble click on:

~/Desktop/MyCoolDirectory/edk2/Clover/buildme

easy no?

EDIT

creating folders for Clover is advised to have no blank spaces in the middle of the directory name

Easy, right. Thanks a lot :) I've put a symlink of buildme on Desktop and I've keep src folder in /Users/my_name. More practical for me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, telepati said:

OsXAptioFixDrv.efi

OsXAptioFix2Drv.efi

OsXAptioFix3Drv.efi

I for one can't see the reason for 3, surely there should be one and it adjusts itself accordingly

32 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Easy, right. Thanks a lot :) I've put a symlink of buildme on Desktop and I've keep src folder in /Users/my_name. More practical for me.

Just updated with more usefull options :)

----------------------------------------------------------
buildme Beta, Clover v2.5k r5029
EDKII in use: vUDK2018
Patches in use: Patches_for_UDK2018

1) build Clover		   5) update Clover	     9) show diff
2) make pkg		   6) update edk2	    10) quit
3) make iso		   7) status
4) build all		   8) check remote changes
Please enter your choice: 8
Password: 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r5029 | vectorsigma | 2019-07-28 11:34:38 +0200 (Sun, 28 Jul 2019) | 1 line
Changed paths:
   M /buildme

corretions and update for the buildme script
------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 2

11 hours ago, telepati said:

OsXAptioFixDrv.efi

OsXAptioFix2Drv.efi

OsXAptioFix3Drv.efi

As far as I remember fix2 is no more taking into account as redundant.

• Thanks 1

r5030:

1. espfinder. new way to mount the ESP using this command line. Is Beta so for now is only activated if /useespfinder is present in the root
    sudo touch /useespfinder
     The installation now fail if you select "Install in the ESP" but no ESP is found.
  2. README.txt created at old drivers64 and drivers64UEFI where is written for the changes made about new drivers directories.
Edited by vector sigma
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, telepati said:

OsXAptioFixDrv.efi

OsXAptioFix2Drv.efi

OsXAptioFix3Drv.efi

My bad, I've only listed a driver that doesn't exist .. I was deceived by OsXAptioFix3Drv.efi

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vector sigma said:

r5030:

1. Instant log. At the and of the installation the log produced by the package is opened in your broswer for an instant view. In the log are present latest changes and new behaviour of the package. 
  2. README.txt created at old drivers64 and drivers64UEFI where is written for the changes made about new drivers directories.

About #1:

Can we make the instant log less instant and more...on demand? Like with a checkbox somewhere (maybe called View Log) at the end of the installer, and only open the browser, if that box is checked?

Oooor....even better, would it be possible to do it right inside of the installer, instead of opening a new browser window (kind of intrusive in my opinion)? This way, it will also match the installer's light mode/dark mode. If we do it in browser, it's always light (unless we add some css to it, which I think is a bit too much for a simple log), it pops up without anyone knowing about it and it can't be turned off.

I think the idea is good, but I think it needs a bit of refinement. :) 

About #2:

It's not a bad idea...but it's just as hidden as not saying anything. Nobody will see it unless they already know about it. And they won't know about it, if we don't tell them about it. And the log doesn't say anything about a README in their old drivers64* folders. Not to mention, I don't know if it's even worth adding that, if we show the log (and/or a message before the installation in which we say something like: "Drivers path has been changed from drivers64UEFI to drivers/UEFI, and from drivers64 to drivers/BIOS. Please, make sure everything is ok with your drivers before restarting your computer. "

[Continue/Cancel buttons]

They way I see it:

1. the message should be included inside the installer itself (doesn't necessarily need to be the actual install log, but just the important stuff from it, like an Announcement, if you wish). In this case, the message informs about changes in drivers folders structure.

2. should be displayed BEFORE making any changes (so that people can choose whether or not they wanna do it), so it can't be the log itself, since that one is generated at the end of the installation.

3. my suggestion would be something similar to this (but with a different content, of course). Now, I think this message is not from Clover itself, is it? But I've seen similar things with other packages (such as Nvidia's graphics driver). Anyway, if we can get the installer to show something like this, with a custom message, this is what I would go for.

264656665_Screenshot2019-07-28at20_13_05.thumb.png.830a7cf2405ba1bcc3972bf4b4ddac4f.png

Also, some typos inside the Clover log:

"reposytory" should be "repository" :) 

"vicevera" should be "vice-versa".

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

Can we make the instant log less instant and more...on demand? Like with a checkbox somewhere (maybe called View Log) at the end of the installer, and only open the browser, if that box is checked?

Oooor....even better, would it be possible to do it right inside of the installer, instead of opening a new browser window (kind of intrusive in my opinion)? This way, it will also match the installer's light mode/dark mode. If we do it in browser, it's always light (unless we add some css to it, which I think is a bit too much for a simple log), it pops up without anyone knowing about it and it can't be turned off.

Sorry but are you installing Clover every minutes of your life? Seriusly who cares of light/dark if the only purpose is to let you read a log where you can find installation errors (or user errors like "removing AptioMemoryFix.efi because OsxAptioFis3Drv.efi is installed) that you can fix before reboot?

Sorry again but this is a bit frustrating, because instead of read the log, your attention goes to the window appearance?? :cry: Is like watch a very beatifull Mother Nature-girl and focus to its poor shoes Lol.

(log as root and set the appearance like your user account.. and this will be fixed I guess ;)

About #2:

It's not a bad idea...but it's just as hidden as not saying anything. Nobody will see it unless they already know about it. And they won't know about it, if we don't tell them about it."

It's done for who can't install in the ESP (like RAID-APFS-Fusion drives) and for testing purpose, next time someone claim a "mount ESP" failure ... vector sigma will pop up sayng "Hey, have you tried sudo touch /useespfinder without recompiling Clover" ?. Until this day I think no one wants a poor tested stuff and since I've asked for help and only few tested it, never will be an option for a beta almost aplha software, just I give a chance to the user and a chance that someone with this problem is intrested in testing it and see if the problem is solved... and maybe a chance to have  a report of a success/failure back.

1. the message should be included inside the installer itself (doesn't necessarily need to be the actual install log, but just the important stuff from it, like an Announcement, if you wish). In this case, the message informs about changes in drivers folders structure.

2. should be displayed BEFORE making any changes (so that people can choose whether or not they wanna do it), so it can't be the log itself, since that one is generated at the end of the installation.

3. my suggestion would be something similar to this (but with a different content, of course). Now, I think this message is not from Clover itself, is it? But I've seen similar things with other packages (such as Nvidia's graphics driver). Anyway, if we can get the installer to show something like this, with a custom message, this is what I would go for.

No much words to say other than that this should be fantastic.... but what show up in your picture comes directly from Installer.app and we have no control on it. The Clover log is done anyway and I have no time to make complicate things as you asked, just I used already present resources (the log). A lot of things can be theorically be done, one of them is to not use a .pkg executed by Apple's Installer.app that is almost out of control of any developers, and write a new program that just does what a dev want. Changes are all explained here, but again, is frustrating to note no one cares about it, like Clover's installer should have a brain and also be telepath. Also I'm a lot surprised on how lot of peoples run the installer without even watch what one is going to install and w/o know that a boot failure can happen. In fact I always use a pen drive to test newer Clover, even if a change is done by me, and only later I'll proceed with the installation. Also Apple released an update recently that cause kernel panics, Clover is not realistically better of such big software House.

Thanks for make me aware of the typos.

Edited by vector sigma
  • Like 1

1. Maan...those were only suggestions. Not requests... And the whole point was to help make the user experience a little better by suggesting a few improvements. If you don't think they're necessary in any way, please, ignore my previous message.

Now I feel sorry for mentioning it.

2. I think you very well know that I always offered myself to help whenever necessary. I don't have a Fusion drive. So I couldn't test that. 

3. OK. I understand. Thanks for the info.

Edited by arsradu

16 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Now I feel sorry for mentioning it.

no problems Bro' :wink_anim:, don't give too much weight to my words, my english is bad and I can't turn the words as well as I would like and being more "diplomatic" how I wish. Just I pass all the day working on Clover....

16 minutes ago, arsradu said:

I think you very well know that I always offered myself to help whenever necessary. I don't have a Fusion drive. So I couldn't test that. 

Wasn't a claim you didn't offer your help, you already did a lot of times. It is the entire eco system that looks a bit complicated..

Hope you didn't get offended for the comparison of the girl and its shoes, was a quip... just made to be humorous...

Edited by vector sigma

The fact that I didn't mention the other things (which are already great) doesn't mean I don't see them. I just chose to focus on the improvements, and what could be done (in my opinion, of course), to make it even better! That's all.

And diplomatic or not, I can still feel your frustration. You could have written in Chinese, and I would have still get it.

Also, take it slow. Step by step. There is no rush. Things need to done right, not fast.

Rome wasn't built in a day. I guess you should know that. :) 

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, arsradu said:

Rome wasn't built in a day. I guess you should know that

I'm in Rome in this moment Lol

1 minute ago, arsradu said:

The fact that I didn't mention the other things (which are already great) doesn't mean I don't see them.

what I say wasn't all for you, surely not the fact in being informed of other things made in the lates month, you where here with all of us. I tried to solve the problem that people isn't aware of some critical changes, so I find a way for them to be.

9 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Also, take it slow. Step by step. There is no rush. Things need to done right, not fast.

Time time time, is the only problem. I have no time :hysterical:

Good night, see you next week end

P.S. I've commented out the fast log with an incompresible commit message, and now I'm thinking of sending an email or a whatsapp message... (joke)

6 hours ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

@Slice i always get this error "red text" from any of clover version with Legacy mode, boot fine with Chameleon.

Hardware is "Dell Alienware X51" (R1) - H61 Chipset with i7 3770

IMG_3690.png

CSM is on in BIOS?

CSM is on in BIOS?

There is no csm configuration in this pc, i just want to boot in Legacy mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CSM is on in BIOS?

40 minutes ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

If you have XhciDxe in your Drivers folders, remove it.

Edited by arsradu