Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Slice said:

I made this change because of what? 

It was initially VOID*, but it is not compatible with VS2013 (error C2036).

Well that explain why. C standard treat void as an incomplete type while the gnu one consider it to be size 1. 

1 hour ago, fusion71au said:

There might be a bit of confusion here.  Legacy boot should work now that you proved it does with r3911 :P.

1. Install latest Clover r4996 with pkg installer in legacy mode targeting your USB drive (custom option: install in EFI etc)
  2. Make sure all your needed efi drivers are in EFI/CLOVER/drivers/BIOS, normal kexts, config.plist present in their respective folders etc
  3. Delete the file named "boot" at the root folder, / , of your USB drive's EFI partition (this is actually boot6=CloverEFI 64 bits SATA, renamed as "boot")
  4. Replace with boot7 = CloverEFI 64 bits BiosBlockIO (which I extracted from official Clover r3911 ISO on Sourceforge) on the root of the USB drive, renamed as "boot"

Try legacy boot again to your USB...

Yeah, I guess I mixed some drivers...cause now IT WORKS!

I already replaced that boot file, as you mentioned. But I guess the problem was somewhere else....?

So, right now, I managed to get 4997 to boot (all the way into the OS) in Legacy mode.

But here's how:

1. on my existing USB drive with 3991, I replaced BOOTX64.efi in /BOOT and CLOVERX64.efi in /CLOVER with the ones I compiled for myself (version 4997) from my SSD's EFI folder. Call it "manual upgrade"...? :))

2. I copy-pasted drivers from drivers64 to drivers/BIOS and from drivers64UEFI to drivers/UEFI. The new /drivers folder was already there from my previous installations of 49xx versions. So I just copy-pasted from the old folder structure to the new one.

So maybe the reason why I couldn't boot with BiosBlockIO (getting stuck at Not Found) was the driver, not the boot file itself. That...or I was doing something else wrong. But I think that was it.

Update: confirmed.

SATA doesn't work (red screen).

BiosBlockIO DOES work (including from 4997, which now I can compile on my own, thanks to Vector Sigma's feedback).

BUT

The drivers need to be rewritten. Otherwise I get stuck with BiosBlockIO. As I said, the behaviour is a little different. With BiosBlockIO and wrong drivers, I get stuck at "Not Found". No red screen in this case. Just stuck.

With BiosBlockIO and correct drivers, all fine, I can boot Mojave with no problems.

With the default drivers in 4997, I can't boot. I have to look more into it, but not right now

However, with drivers copy-pasted from drivers64 and drivers64UEFI (from 3911, with some additions) into the new folder structure, it does boot.

2064342132_Screenshot2019-07-13at11_30_07.thumb.png.a48243a0aaa7ec032162fea2049368b4.png

*ApfsDriverLoader has been added by me, the rest of the drivers are from original 3911 installation.

482672959_Screenshot2019-07-13at11_30_22.thumb.png.f43b53c1f77369596cee67d819063ad8.png

*ApfsDriverLoader adn OsXAptioFix3Drv have been added by me. The rest of them are from the original 3911 installation.

drivers.zip

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, fusion71au said:

If you build Clover with Build_Clover.command and specify XCODE5 toolchain, you will still find it compiled in the ~/src/edk2/Build/AptioFixPkg/RELEASE_XCODE5/X64 folder  ---> manually copy it to your

Guys, isn't more easy to go at github/acidanthera/AptioMemoryFix/release and just download it?:whistle:

if you want it in the package, just copy it in

../CloverPackage/CloverV2/EFI/CLOVER/drivers/off/UEFI/MemoryFix/

just before call 'make pkg'

Edited by vector sigma

29 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

Guys, isn't more easy to go at github/acidanthera/AptioMemoryFix/release and just download it?:whistle:

if you want it in the package, just copy it in

../CloverPackage/CloverV2/EFI/CLOVER/drivers/off/UEFI/MemoryFix/

just before call 'make pkg'

At the moment, the Build_Clover.command script has not been updated to take into account the new /Drivers folder structure that you introduced.  Before, AptioMemoryFix was automatically compiled and included in the final installer.pkg presented to the end user.

btw, I found another typo in the makeiso.script...for latest r5000, boot? should be boot6 I assume...attached fixed makeiso.fixed typo.zip OK, it copies both boot6 and boot7 :P

1879256035_typobootinmakeiso.png.15cde83f1d95db2955e07c99bd5fd5c4.png

Edited by fusion71au

7 minutes ago, fusion71au said:

At the moment, the Build_Clover.command script has not been updated to take into account the new /Drivers folder structure that you introduced.  Before, AptioMemoryFix was automatically compiled and included in the final installer.pkg presented to the end user.

btw, I found another typo in the makeiso.script...for latest r5000, boot? should be boot6 I assume...attached fixed makeiso.fixed typo.zip

1879256035_typobootinmakeiso.png.15cde83f1d95db2955e07c99bd5fd5c4.png

Isn't a typo, it's correct. It just copy both boot6 and boot7 or whatever starts with boot

Edited by vector sigma
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

@arsradu can you kindly try the attached iso if works in pure UEFI?

Clover-v2.4k-5000-X64.iso.zip

Sadly...nope... BIOS is set to see both Legacy and UEFI drives. For all my other UEFI drives (such as my HDD and SSD), it does show something like "UEFI OS:". For the DVD ROM. It doesn't. Which makes me think it's not UEFI (yet).

Also, selecting that DVD ROM (the legacy mode entry), I get this message (old, classical "nope, that's not it" kind of message).

The message is most likely intended. But...yeah, no UEFI yet.

IMG_0008.thumb.jpeg.2c7d159a24ebc772ed5f3444cc79f533.jpeg

Edited by arsradu

4 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Sadly...nope... BIOS is set to see both Legacy and UEFI drives. For all my other UEFI drives (such as my HDD and SSD), it does show something like "UEFI OS:". For the DVD ROM. It doesn't. Which makes me think it's not UEFI (yet).

Also, selecting that DVD ROM (the legacy mode entry), I get this message (old, classical "nope, that's not it" kind of message).

The message is most likely intended. But...yeah, no UEFI yet.

Thanks anyway. I need a rw cd, or a UEFI virtual machine to do some tests..

1 minute ago, vector sigma said:

Thanks anyway. I need a rw cd, or a UEFI virtual machine to do some tests..

Sure, no worries. Fusion71au seems to have made some progress with VM (if I got this right).

If you need any more tests on "real hardware", meaning a real CD, I can help you with that. :) 

• Thanks 1

Hi @fusion71au did you also install 10.15 in HFS+..? On my case am no longer able to proceed Clover installation since r4999. It just got stuck at osascript read-write or whatever it's name. I believe HFS+ has no r/o limitation under Catalina. And it does nothing with $ sudo mount -uw / either. Thanks.

Edited by Badruzeus

1 minute ago, vector sigma said:

I'll fix it, but is this a hack or it's normally allowed?

absolutely a hack, Apple has given warning back in Sierra time that HFS was being replaced with APFS. It's just some want to stay with old methods.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fusion71au said:

There might be a bit of confusion here.  Legacy boot should work now that you proved it does with r3911 :P.

1. Install latest Clover r4996 with pkg installer in legacy mode targeting your USB drive (custom option: install in EFI etc)
  2. Make sure all your needed efi drivers are in EFI/CLOVER/drivers/BIOS, normal kexts, config.plist present in their respective folders etc
  3. Delete the file named "boot" at the root folder, / , of your USB drive's EFI partition (this is actually boot6=CloverEFI 64 bits SATA, renamed as "boot")
  4. Replace with boot7 = CloverEFI 64 bits BiosBlockIO (which I extracted from official Clover r3911 ISO on Sourceforge) on the root of the USB drive, renamed as "boot"

Try legacy boot again to your USB...

Can't forget something I never knew I needed. :))) But yeah, that part was missing. Thank you!

Make sure you put the working boot7 from Clover r3911 in ~/src/edk2/Clover/CloverPackage/CloverV2/Bootloaders/x64 before running makeiso_boot7 from your ~/src/edk2/Clover/CloverPackage folder.  Otherwise it also won't be present in your Clover ISO :lol:.

Also regarding the missing embedded theme in your ISO:  Did you copy the embedded theme folder from ~/src/edk2/Clover/CloverPackage/CloverV2/EFI/CLOVER/themes to ~/src/edk2/Clover/CloverPackage/CloverV2/themespkg before running makeiso?

Yes, this is an acidanthera project now. 

If you build Clover with Build_Clover.command and specify XCODE5 toolchain, you will still find it compiled in the ~/src/edk2/Build/AptioFixPkg/RELEASE_XCODE5/X64 folder  ---> manually copy it to your ~/src/edk2/Clover/CloverPackage/CloverV2/EFI/CLOVER/drivers/off/UEFI/MemoryFix folder.  Then cd to ~/src/edk2/Clover/CloverPackage and run ./makepkg to create the Clover installer.

And sorry for noob question: if I use the Acidanthera one, I must put it in the memory fix folder?

7 minutes ago, telepati said:

What are the differences between VBoxHfs and the HFSPlus? Both say "EFI filesystem driver for HFS+" is that so, what are the differences?

VBoxHfs = open source driver that works really good, read only.

HFSPlus = extracted from Apple's firmware. Someone says you need it for RAID configurations. Otherwise VBoxHfs it's enough.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vector sigma said:

Guys I think is better to commit all translatioons tomorrow and give times to any other is doing this. @Slice, why not opening a Topic for translations only?

OK, done!

All post about translations splitted into new topic Clover Localizations

• Like 3

Hi guys,

So...apparently UEFI DVDs do work on my machine. I've got an older Ubuntu 15.04 around, so I was curious if that one shows up in boot menu.

And it does! With no extra changes in BIOS settings. Right now, my BIOS is set to LEGACY + UEFI. That's why it shows the DVD ROM as both UEFI and Legacy.

IMG_0010.thumb.jpeg.3d5ea7f4f194a8f09d5ee1e0bec41742.jpeg

So I think it should be (at least in theory) possible to make a bootable DVD with Clover on it.

In Disk Utility, DVD ROM shows up as Apple Partition Map (intended...I guess...?)

1016512514_Screenshot2019-07-13at23_35_23.thumb.png.380da6af0b619284169674f652480373.png

And the partition itself is a FAT12.

5288702_Screenshot2019-07-13at23_36_51.thumb.png.cf9b2787e14ae57eac28b46f0a098db8.png

But I guess that can't be all. Since the installer can't be only 2.3MB in size. :)) I know linux partitions can't be mounted by default with Disk Utility. So I didn't really bother to mount it.

Edited by arsradu

Hi @arsradu,

I have to inform you that BiosBlockIO will not work with DVD because legacy BIOS (as well as CSM) operate with block size 512 bytes while DVD has block size 2048 bytes. Clover SATA (boot6) is only way to make cdboot.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slice said:

Hi @arsradu,

I have to inform you that BiosBlockIO will not work with DVD because legacy BIOS (as well as CSM) operate with block size 512 bytes while DVD has block size 2048 bytes. Clover SATA (boot6) is only way to make cdboot.

Hi Slice! :) 

Thank you very much for the info.

But...I'm not trying to make a bootable DVD for Legacy mode. That one already works (if you manually replace boot6 with boot7 before making the iso). However, I'm trying to make a bootable DVD for UEFI mode. THAT one doesn't work yet. :) 

But if you already know how to make that work...please, let me know. Cause I spent almost the entire day trying to figure that out.

Edited by arsradu

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

Hi Slice! :) 

Thank you very much for the info.

But...I'm not trying to make a bootable DVD for Legacy mode. That one already works (if you manually replace boot6 with boot7 before making the iso). However, I'm trying to make a bootable DVD for UEFI mode. THAT one doesn't work yet. :) 

But if you already know how to make that work...please, let me know. Cause I spent almost the entire day trying to figure that out.

Clover DVD STOP at Sierra 10.12 because Apple change the rule , Remember that on High Sierra it is impossible to use Base System USB Installer High Sierra only installs in Create Install Media oficially. I'm not testing the Dosdude1 Patch on a DVD but I have to stop doing DVD programs after Sierra

See MacOS X Install DVD Creator

Test here 10.9 10.10, 10.11, 10.12

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 1