Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Just now, Andres ZeroCross said:

Then you can use Shell to copy folder clover to your internal HDD/SSD

That you can do. I was just thinking of a more..user friendly option, for people who are not very good at working with Shell. Something from Clover GUI itself. :) 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, arsradu said:

I was just thinking of a more..user friendly option, for people who are not very good at working with Shell. Something from Clover GUI itself. :) 

#IMHO That' s per-user depends, just like some users did partition backup b4 installing newer os then restoring it once error occurred.. but others didn't. I my self, usually > mv CLOVERX64.efi CLOVERX64.efi.bak b4 updating with newer rev.

56 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Thing is, I had a very weird issue after installing Clover 4896. Not sure what happened there.... Probably something didn't get properly installed...or sources got messed up. Anyway, problem was I couldn't boot at all.

Currently, no issue here. Booting normal, GUI loaded, kext_inject works as expected, entry scan does well, 10.11.6 / 10.14.x.

r4898-GCC.zip

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Badruzeus said:

#IMHO That' s per-user depends, just like some users did partition backup b4 installing newer os then restoring it once error occurred.. but others didn't. I my self, usually > mv CLOVERX64.efi CLOVERX64.efi.bak b4 updating with newer rev.

Currently, no issue here. Booting normal, GUI loaded, kext_inject works as expected, entry scan does well, 10.11.6 / 10.14.x.

r4898-GCC.zip

:) I should have also probably mentioned that I also built 4896 again, on a clean environment, and I didn't have any issue anymore. So...not sure what happened there. Now I'm on 4898, as well (thank you very much for sharing this build). Also with no issues. So I really don't know what happened there. I just wish there was a simple way to either revert to previous Clover, from Clover itself, ooor...restore from those backups that we make. After all, that's why they're called backups, right? So you can use them later on. If we can only use them from a booted OS....well, that's good and all, but, it's not gonna help you at all if you can't boot.

And using Shell is definitely an option. But...as I said before, not many people know how to use that. So...I thought having something accessible from Clover UI itself to help you fix such issues, might be a good thing.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, arsradu said:

I just wish there was a simple way to either revert to previous Clover, from Clover itself, ooor...restore from those backups that we make. After all, that's why they're called backups, right? So you can use them later on. If we can only use them from a booted OS....well, that's good and all, but, it's not gonna help you at all if you can't boot.

What I got from Apianti brief explanations, it may be possible but consider about ESP size limitation for saving backup files.

Thing that I'm not sure just; although Clover has ability to Make a Current rev Backup.. how do we restoring it via Clover if it won't boot once updated, for example? Yeah, for me instead is by pressing StartUp Boot Key to Linux then rolling back. EFI Shell should did the job either (except error with config.plist and having non-functional "Shift" key when editing #LoL).

Edited by Badruzeus

31 minutes ago, Badruzeus said:

From what I got from Apianti brief explanations, it may be possible but consider about ESP size limitation for saving backup files.

Thing that I'm not sure just; even if Clover has ability to Make a Current rev Backup.. how do we restoring it via Clover if it won't boot once updated, for example? Yeah, for me is by pressing StartUp Boot Key to Linux then rolling back. EFI Shell should did the job either (except error with config.plist and having non-functional "Shift" key when editing #LoL).

Well, the backup is already there. :) In /Volumes/YourOSVolume/EFI-Backups. We don't need extra space on the actual EFI partition for that. We just need to get access to those backups from Clover GUI and use them either to boot into the OS, or to restore a selected backup onto the main EFI partition. That's all.

So, the thing is Clover already DOES make a revision backup of itself. Just not on the actual EFI partition. :) 

Now, the scenario goes like this: you can't boot into the OS (after selecting your drive), but you can still boot into the Clover UI. So it's not all lost. :) 

So, to me, it's not a matter of space on the actual EFI partition, since we're not using that for backup in the first place. We already have a backup on the OS side. We just need to do something with it, in case your Clover from the EFI partition can't be used anymore to boot back into the OS (but again, it is good enough to boot into its own UI).

That...was kind of the plan... But maybe that's simply not possible.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Well, the backup is already there. :) In /Volumes/YourOSVolume/EFI-Backups. We don't need extra space on the actual EFI partition for that. We just need to get access to those backups from Clover GUI and use them either to boot into the OS, or to rewrite what's on the main EFI partition. That's all.

Oh, I see.. so for "Restore from Backup" only via Clover from HFS+/APFS partition since these FS are read-only on preboot.

13 minutes ago, Badruzeus said:

Oh, I see.. so for "Restore from Backup" only via Clover from HFS+/APFS partition since these FS are read-only on preboot.

Yep. We only need to read from the OS. We don't need to write anything there. The backup is already there. We don't need to make a new one. We just need to use it. And, for as far as I can tell (and I could be wrong here), we only read from the OS either way. Either to use that backup and boot into the OS using that information (assuming that's possible). Ooor...as I said before, to restore one of those backups and put it back onto the EFI partition, so we can boot normally. Either way it's still reading from the OS. So yeah, I would say we probably don't need -rw access for this.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 2

If you can enter the GUI then you can fix the problem, either by restoring the backups with the efi shell, then restarting or by changing the configuration directly in the GUI and then fixing the problem. I thought you meant you couldn't get into the GUI. Literally restoring the backup is just copying the folder back, there's no need for a feature in clover when you can type one line into the efi shell..... Or use another OS. It just doesn't make sense.

• Like 2

Well... you can type one line if you know what that line is. :)) But it might not be that obvious for regular users. That’s why I thought it would be a good thing to have that in the Clover UI itself.

After all, a lot of things can be done from Shell. Still, we also have a more user-friendly option to achieve the same thing from Clover UI. You could probably even boot directly from Shell. You don’t really need the UI for that. Still, we do have a beautiful Clover UI so we don’t need to do this manually from command line.

Same for this case.

To be honest, I prefer the UI for stuff like this. And probably most regular users do, as well. It happened to me before that, even though I knew the command I needed to write into the terminal by heart, still happened to make mistakes writing it, or pressing Enter sooner than I might have wanted. :)) Which, and I’m sure I don’t need to tell you this, but if you do this and don’t write the complete path in a rm command cause you pressed Enter sooner than you should have, you risk deleting a lot more than you wanted. Potentially resulting in an unbootable system. Now, I know this is copying, not deleting. But still, to me, having this as an option in the UI is not just more user friendly, but also safer and less prone to user mistakes.

Anyway, as I said, it’s only an idea. And I just thought I’d bring it up for discussion in case you guys find it useful. Once again, thank you very much for your feedback. :)

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 10:50 PM, Andres ZeroCross said:

So i reconfigure my system. Update my CLOVER to r4842 from here https://github.com/Dids/clover-builder/releases . I remove AudioDxe.efi, BootChimeDxe.efi, BootChimeCfg.efi. Then,

1. Boot into Clover GUI and Reset nvram. Press F11 in CLOVER GUI
2. Boot into mac desktop and add AudioDxe.efi to drivers64UEFi and BootChimeCfg.efi to tools and just use sound.wav into Theme folder (BGM_SVG) then reboot to CLOVER GUI (AudioDxe.efi and BootChimeCfg.efi is from here

3. Enter shell and set "bootchimecfg.efi -s 7 -v 100 -t". I use 7 because my lineout is 7
4. Boot into mac then reboot again,, i can hear sound before GUI CLOVER. then i boot to mac desktop.
5. I add BootChimeDxe.efi from GoldFish64 https://github.com/Goldfish64/AudioPkg to drivers64UEFI then i Reboot.

Finally i can hear sound from Theme Sound and sound before loading progress too.

Here the video, sorry for bad english. I attach nvram.txt and preboot.log.

Thanks before

Hey but u have a gigabyte mb, why u don't try to flash a modified ROM with a black logo.bmp file in order to get a more vanilla behavior? With a older build of UEFIFlash u can modify the .fd rom image to extract and replace that logo.bmp and with this modified efiflash (patch made by lordkag from win-raid) u can skip the sign checks... but be careful, and remember to disable the intel bios guard before flashing anything.

Theres my setup:

The only bad thing is the big delay (8-10secs approx) added by AudioDxe. With FastBoot POST enabled is still slow as hell... but im satisfied anyway! \^_^/

I have a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 3 btw

Edited by JadaOnyx
typo mistake xd

Hey but u have a gigabyte mb, why u don't try to flash a modified ROM with a black logo.bmp file in order to get a more vanilla behavior? With a older build of UEFIFlash u can modify the .fd rom image to extract and replace that logo.bmp and with this modified efiflash (patch made by lording from win-raid) u can skip the sign checks... but be careful, and remember to disable the intel bios guard before flashing anything.

Theres my setup:

The only bad thing is the big delay (8-10secs approx) added by AudioDxe. With FastBoot POST enabled is still slow as hell... but im satisfied anyway! \^_^/ 

I can change the logo of gigabyte the by myself. It's easy to make it happen.

Sent from my Mi Note 2 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

I can change the logo of gigabyte the by myself. It's easy to make it happen.

Sent from my Mi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Your MB UEFI has a native option to replace ur bios logo? Ive seen this feature in a few mbs... you're lucky a lot! XD

Couple question and my apologies if this was already asked.  Does the latest version of clover support plugintype for i9-9900K or do I have to supply a SSDT generated file, not even sure if SSDTgen will export a proper file for this processor.

Same question for the E5-2697 v2 ivy bridge processor it seems plugintype 1 didn't work, no speed step so I just re-enabled the SSDT to get speed step working again, unless there is another plugin type I need to choose for either one of these processors?

Thanks!

Edited: 

Nevermind I found the answer in another thread the i9-9900k is supported with plugintype=yes, no SSDT needed, however the x79 boards with E5 processors does not support plugintype need to use SSDT unless the new clover versions will support the E5 or not?

Edited by oSxFr33k

On 3/14/2019 at 1:25 AM, Slice said:

Clover supports all processors even if they are engineering samples as far as they declared.

It may support it but it Clover's PluginType 1 does not support the speed step without providing a SSDTgen for Ivy Brdige E5-2697v2.

I have to generate SSDT with 

ssdtPRGen.sh -c 1 -w 3 -turbo 3500.

Thats why I asked if maybe there was a unique plugintype provided by Clover for the E5 ivy bridge or some additional settings with PluginType=yes, in order to skip having a SSDT.  Speed step doesn't work with Clover PluginType have to use SSDT.

Edited by oSxFr33k

I 100% think that you are not setting the configuration correctly to use plugintype. First, if you have an ivy bridge or later cpu, plugintype = 1 automatically, however, you have to enable it's injection. There are two keys to set if you want plugintype injection, ACPI/SSDT/PluginType=1 and ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=true.

EDIT: This is to force plugintype=1 injection, if you have IB or newer, you only need to set the second key to generate as the other is set by default by cpu model.

Edited by apianti
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, apianti said:

I 100% think that you are not setting the configuration correctly to use plugintype. First, if you have an ivy bridge or later cpu, plugintype = 1 automatically, however, you have to enable it's injection. There are two keys to set if you want plugintype injection, ACPI/SSDT/PluginType=1 and ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=true.

EDIT: This is to force plugintype=1 injection, if you have IB or newer, you only need to set the second key to generate as the other is set by default by cpu model.

It supports speed step for Server processor Xeon E5-2697v2 12 core ivy processor?  I tried plugintype=true and no speed step. It’s stuck at 1.2ghz. 

I found this quote from another thread for X79 motherboards for controlled speedstep, but that is back from 2014 so Clover has made a lot of changes since then, clover did not have this plugintype option and now does but does it have the values for this specific processor to make speedstep work?

we need a extra power state at least 1MHz above our max power state and a extra power state at least 1MHz below our lowest reachable power state. Without these extra states we would never fully reach the lowest or highest state. The "-w 3" in the command below creates the extra states above and below max and min.

ssdtPRGen.sh -c 1 -w 3 -turbo 3500

Edited by oSxFr33k

8 hours ago, apianti said:

Who is the owner of this DSDT patch?? Must i get permission to use this patch???

7 hours ago, oSxFr33k said:

It supports speed step for Server processor Xeon E5-2697v2 12 core ivy processor?  I tried plugintype=true and no speed step. It’s stuck at 1.2ghz. 

I found this quote from another thread for X79 motherboards for controlled speedstep, but that is back from 2014 so Clover has made a lot of changes since then, clover did not have this plugintype option and now does but does it have the values for this specific processor to make speedstep work?

we need a extra power state at least 1MHz above our max power state and a extra power state at least 1MHz below our lowest reachable power state. Without these extra states we would never fully reach the lowest or highest state. The "-w 3" in the command below creates the extra states above and below max and min.

ssdtPRGen.sh -c 1 -w 3 -turbo 3500

There are two keys that need set, so I don't know to which one you're referring. Just set them as I said.

EDIT: If you need a special SSDT for cpu pm, then I don't really see what the difference is. Add the plugintype to that SSDT. Clover is just doing the same thing but dynamically so it's technically probably faster and gives better results to generate your own instead of letting clover do it since it tends to under power states since it's not based on the actual package TDP.

1 hour ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

Who is the owner of this DSDT patch?? Must i get permission to use this patch???

I don't know what you mean. No one is asking for anyone to get permission to use a patch as far as I know, and if they are then they are an a s s h a t.

Edited by apianti
  • Like 1

Guest BartSimpson

I will be using Clover in my New system, after I've bought it and set it up, so you will be seeing quite a lot of me.

Sherlocks

With todays 10.14.4 DP4, Apple released MP5,1 BootROM 142.0.0.0.0:

• Build date is 20190214,
  • BootBlock version is APLEFI1.88Z.0005.I00.1902142048,
  • CRC32 is 64e8f5ea,
  • Updated APFSJumpStart DXE,
  • same microcodes as 138.0.0.0.0,
  • same NVMe EFI module as 140.0.0.0.0

$IBIOSI$ MP51.88Z.F000.B00.1902142049
Apple ROM Version
  Model:        MP51
  EFI Version:  142.0.0.0.0