Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, arsradu said:

I think the confusion here comes from the word "mandatory" itself. :)

If I got this right, I think the actual question was: is one of them selected by default in the UI, if it wasn't there before? And I think the answer here is: no, it is not.

We're talking about that ticket that apianti was talking about on the previous page.

Re-quoting for your convenience:

So, basically, if it's not a new Clover installation, if you had Clover installed before on that drive, and if you hadn't had that driver checked before (or if you were using HFSPlus.efi instead), it's not gonna be checked now (1. if you're still using HFSPlus, there's no need for VBoxHfs, 2. if you're already using VBoxHFs, it should be already checked, unless you want it removed now, in which case, you can uncheck it upon installation, and it will be removed). If you did have it before, it's gonna be kept like that (checked) when upgrading Clover.

Now, the possible problem comes for the new users who don't know what VBoxHfs/HFSPlus are, and whether or not they need any of them for their hackintosh to boot.

So, I think the question here is: for this particular case, if it's a new installation, if there's no HFSPlus already in place, will VBoxHfs be checked (and installed) by default so the user can boot?

Your not understanding the point 

EDIT ***

This Drivers  mandatory  should be not visible

Edited by chris1111

7 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

Your not understanding the point 

EDIT ***

This Drivers  mandatory  should be not visible

Visible or not visible, the idea is that it gets installed, on new systems, if there's nothing else already in place. :P

The fact that it's visible or not is not really important. If it's visible and it's also already checked by default so you can see that it's gonna be installed, that's even better, cause you can see exactly what will it install. You can make that checkbox greyed out for this case, if anything... :)

Edited by arsradu

23 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Visible or not visible, the idea is that it gets installed, on new systems, if there's nothing else already in place. :P

The fact that it's visible or not is not really important. If it's visible and it's also already checked by default so you can see that it's gonna be installed, that's even better, cause you can see exactly what it it installed. You can make that checkbox greyed out for this case, if anything... :)

Sorry but Your completely misunderstanding Clover package ( and why some Drivers is not visible and of course mandatory) :unsure:

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chris1111 said:

I am not confused, I know that for long time so Why in the new change  VBoxHfs-64.efi is not mandatory?

Because some people have HFSPlus.efi flashed into ROM.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, apianti said:

Oh, you need to fix you injections. They are no longer injected by default so you need to figure out which ones you need and enable them.

Are you able to be a little more specific? Is it the kexts that are not being injected or something else? Sorry I don't understand.

Speaking of mandatory vs non-mandatory drivers, shouldn't apfs.efi be one of the mandatory ones? I mean, I'm sure there are probably a lot of people still using HFS+. But the tendency seems to be towards switching to APFS. And, if I'm not mistaken, your drive is automatically converted to APFS if you're using an SSD anyway. There are ways around it. But, I mean, from a new user's perspective, that's the normal flow.

And...I suppose, just like with HFSPlus.efi, the problem here is the fact that this is not an open-source driver. So...if you have it, good. If not, well, c'est la vie. We can't build it to include it with Clover installer because there is no source for it (or it's under Apple's terms of use). But please, correct me if I'm wrong.

I suppose you can't boot an APFS volume with HFSPlus.efi or VBoxHfs.efi, right?

So...even if we make VBoxHfs.efi "mandatory", and install it no matter what, if you're using APFS, you're pretty much screwed anyway.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Slice said:

Because some people have HFSPlus.efi flashed into ROM.

Ok your description SF Package

⬇︎

Spoiler

1Capture.png.d6b3756508f4e7b0c6e961675e61d38d.png

change for this 

⬇︎

Spoiler

2Capture.png.21bfeaa6f4b2f3d6fb6d11bac9634274.png

thats correct :D

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, arsradu said:

Speaking of mandatory vs non-mandatory drivers, ...

I suppose you can't boot an APFS volume with HFSPlus.efi or VBoxHfs.efi, right?

So...even if we make VBoxHfs.efi "mandatory", and install it no matter what, if you're using APFS, you're pretty much screwed anyway.

I ran into this yesterday and not knowing what all of the options did (I am not well versed in what all of the options are, I tried two different installations. Both disks are APFS based. One (10.13.4) with just:

AppleImageCodec-64.efi

AppleUITheme-64.efi

DataHubDxe-64.efi

FirmwareVolume-64.efi

AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi

AptioMemoryFix.efi

FSInject-64.efi

apfs.efi

and one disk (10.13.5) with these same drivers as well as with the VBoxHfs.efi driver. Both drives cold and warm booted after the clover update to version 4509. I updated the 10.13.5 disk to 10.13.6, still with the VBoxHfs.efi as well as the apfs.efi driver. It still worked. I removed the VBoxHFS.efi driver and the 10.13.6 disk still booted.

So the mandatory inclusion may not be as much of a problem as long as the apfs driver is installed.

(Gigagyte Z370XP SLI and I5-8400).

VBoxHFS.efi or HFS+.efi is required just for install because macOS installer creates HFS+ partitions as RAM disk in order to continue with the installation of the OS. If you have completed install and only using APFS, APFS.efi is only required to booted the OS that is installed as APFS. but if you are like many hackintoshers in this community that has older versions of macOS installed (that do not have APFS) VBoxHFS.efi or HFS+.efi is required and as stated as (mandatory).Not trying to be offensive here but I don't understand how this is confusing......

Edited by Pavo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Pavo said:

VBoxHFS.efi or HFS+.efi is required just for install because macOS installer creates HFS+ partitions as RAM disk in order to continue with the installation of the OS. If you have completed install and only using APFS, APFS.efi is only required to booted the OS that is installed as APFS. but if you are like many hackintoshers in this community that has older versions of macOS installed (that do not have APFS) VBoxHFS.efi or HFS+.efi is required and as stated as (mandatory).Not trying to be offensive here but I don't understand how this is confusing......

Is the os installer still doing this (creating a hfs+ RAM disk) if you are entirely apfs based? I was not sure, so I that is why I left the vboxhfs.efi driver on the 10.13.5 disk so I would be 'safe' in doing the 10.13.6 upgrade/install.

Edited by jerryy2
elucidate the comment

13 minutes ago, jerryy2 said:

Is the os installer still doing this (creating a hfs+ RAM disk) if you are entirely apfs based? I was not sure, so I that is why I left the vboxhfs.efi driver on the 10.13.5 disk so I would be 'safe' in doing the 10.13.6 upgrade/install.

Yes the OS installer still uses HFS+ RAM disk and I would imagine that will not go away any time soon.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 7:36 AM, chris1111 said:

Ok your description SF Package

⬇︎

Hide contents

1Capture.png.d6b3756508f4e7b0c6e961675e61d38d.png

change for this 

⬇︎

Hide contents

2Capture.png.21bfeaa6f4b2f3d6fb6d11bac9634274.png

thats correct :D

Please use the word firmware instead when referring to the bootstrap software. BIOS is not UEFI and vice versa, they are types of firmware. Try "This driver provides support for reading and booting from HFS+ volumes for macOS, do not install if you already have an alternate HFS+ driver or an HFS+ driver is flashed in your firmware."

9 hours ago, Pavo said:

Yes the OS installer still uses HFS+ RAM disk and I would imagine that will not go away any time soon.

Yeah, I think you are correct the installers wouldn't make sense to change to APFS. But, who really knows what Apple might do................ :worried_anim:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

No issue here

Reveal hidden contents

Capture.png.ca4e720882529094f463d05f1b681248.png

I have this issue with EDK2 and UDK2018 using Xcode 9.4. wich solution?

Edited by Matgen84

4 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

I have this issue with EDK2 and UDK2018 using Xcode 9.4. wich solution?

I use UDK2018  latest Xcode's 9.4 no issue here

• Like 1

Hi @Slice
thanks for your great work on clover .
but the clover starting from r4380 doesnt work on my AMD FX mobo ( ASUS M5A97 R2.0 ) . The clover doesnt even load at all , it just sits on a black screen . 
i also tried the latest clover version but it didnt work too but its working fine on Ryzen mobo's .
so any suggestions regarding this ?

So, r4512 booted without issue with no modifications to my Config.plist (Yeah! thanks Slice!)

Checking the guide for moving over to the new methods I think I only have one item to change (Intel)...

1770867088_ScreenShot2018-06-01at23_24_34.png.c67d3d6fa0083e975627abeb444dcd4b.png

From my newly created config-imprint.plist I see this...

1343724255_ScreenShot2018-06-01at23_26_12.png.f8f23de62767643a79b805073fcce4b2.png

What I am not sure of is how I incorporate that into my current Config.plist...

<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<true/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>

Can anyone please help?

Edited by D-an-W

3 hours ago, D-an-W said:

So, r4512 booted without issue with no modifications to my Config.plist (Yeah! thanks Slice!)

Checking the guide for moving over to the new methods I think I only have one item to change (Intel)...

1770867088_ScreenShot2018-06-01at23_24_34.png.c67d3d6fa0083e975627abeb444dcd4b.png

From my newly created config-imprint.plist I see this...

1343724255_ScreenShot2018-06-01at23_26_12.png.f8f23de62767643a79b805073fcce4b2.png

What I am not sure of is how I incorporate that into my current Config.plist...

<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<true/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>

Can anyone please help?

I believe you need to remove inject intel from your current config.plist and copy and paste the properties from the imprint to your config in the appropriate section.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, XLNC said:

Hi @Slice
thanks for your great work on clover .
but the clover starting from r4380 doesnt work on my AMD FX mobo ( ASUS M5A97 R2.0 ) . The clover doesnt even load at all , it just sits on a black screen . 
i also tried the latest clover version but it didnt work too but its working fine on Ryzen mobo's .
so any suggestions regarding this ?

Boot->Debug=YES

to see what is happen

• Like 1