Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

i tested my hp 4230s sandy laptop

now, i can use native NVRAM with OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi.

i always used slide=0 before. but if i use new OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi, i can't use slide=0. i have to remove slide=0 bootarg.

as result, only use OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi

thank you so much again.

I'm in the same boat. Using slide=0 gives me the prohibited sign. I even calculated my slide value (well, it was calculated for me by apianti) and I can't boot with that value either.

However, I did have native NVRAM without emuvariable.efi.

How are you doing with the graphical glitches of the HD3000? do you have any??

• Like 1

Hi, I do not set the bus speed in config.plist. Please have a look at it: 

How can I fix that? Btw. my bios is in "turbo" mode, so maybe overclock everything a bit. Should I then set the busspeed?

Do you mean that it is too slow? Because I am fine with it, if it was too fast :)

EDIT: So the busspeed should be 100MHz / 100000kHz? I now actually set the busspeed to 100000, and it is reporting now:

Finally: ExternalClock=25MHz BusSpeed=100000kHz CPUFreq=3400MHz PIS: hw.busfrequency=100000000Hz

Does that look correct to you?

Yeah it should 100MHz, unless you overclocked the base clock.

This one still crashes in FCPX while using opencl hd4600+nvidia. Do you really think that it crashes because of memory corruption?  The area in my memory map at 0x10000 looks quite big to me....?

btw. the Info.plist kext patching in clover is quite retarded: You cannot use strings for search/replace, it seems:

Yeah it uses either base64 or hexadecimal encoded data, it's not a string because it's meant to replace data not just strings.

News from the Skylake-X/X299 SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 front

System boots flawless with OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi from Clover_v2.4k_r4369. No memory allocation errors and no slide boot flag necessary

Nevertheless, problems with the macOS 10.13.2 17C2120 USB Flash Drive Installer. 

USB MacOS Installer partition does not appear in the Clover Boot Menu.

I don't know if the problem is Clover or macOS USB Flash Drive Installer related.  

When booting with the EFI on the USB Drive, I get the following message before entering the clover boot menu

Does no one read what I say? DO NOT USE AptioFix after r4369!!!!!!! Only AptioFix2. There is a bug that will allow the relocated kernel to overwrite the previously reserved runtime regions that were just protected from being moved into the kernel. Remove AptioFix and use AptioFix2.

The same results :(

I think I might go with Aptio1. With Aptio 2, sometimes I get the prohibited sign. Mostly when I turn off the computer for more than a minute. 

When I get the prohibted sign, I turn it off (just press the power button, no need to press and hold) and turn it on right away and it boots fine. 

Thanks anyway you've been very helpful. I have to live with those graphics glitches.

Can't anymore, AptioFix is more broken than AptioFix2. Unless you use an older version. You firmware has more reserved regions than I have ever seen before and only some are marked for runtime, it's hard to say if those other regions also need to be protected because they are indeed runtime or not but 

where i find kext disabling menu on last clover (4369) ?

There is no such thing. Unless you mean disabling individual kext injection.

You have asus x299? Your NVRAM working natively? Your MSR is unlocked? 

There should be no issues except with Z97 and X99 systems, the rest should be working with a few caveats.

it kinda seems that way....

• Like 1

Hi apianti

if I don't remember bad you talk about to mod nvram section in x99 bios.

Can you point me in right direction if it is there some guide to execute this firmware patch?

I would like to ask also, in my condition I see many useful variable stored I think by clover and my system is fully working

For x99 users is there a really needs to have a working Nvram?

thank you

----

There should be no issues except with Z97 and X99 systems, the rest should be working with a few caveats.

it kinda seems that way....

Ambiguous output redirect

other weird behaviour... 

Even with 10.13.2 (17C2120) and SMBIOS iMacPro1,1, the Appstore does not recognise my system as iMac pro and just provides standard MacOS Installers instead of the iMac Pro specific ones. 

If I intent to download e.g. the 10.13.2 Full Package installer, I get the following error message (see attachment)

If I just update to 10.13.2 SA, again the standard installer is taken... 

I don't know if this issue is Clover_v2.4k_r4369 or build related.. I have a i9-7980XE which is not natively implemented yet by OSX (in contrary to the i9-7900X) and I use a Nvidia GPU instead of a Vega 64. 

Surprisingly, for user DSM2 with an ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe, a  i9-7900X  and 2x Vega 64 but Clover _v2.4k_4318, everything works as expected.. His system is fully recognised by the Appstore as iMacPro and he receives the correct iMac Pro specific macOS installer packages. 

You probably need to do some patching.

But if I remove EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, my SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 serial number, board serial number and UUID will not be correctly transmitted and I will face issues with iCloud, iMessage and Facetime, isn't it? 

No, those are from your configuration....

what about CsmVideoDxe-64.efi? Can I skip that too?

No, that is to allow full resolutions over the CSM module. You could possibly try disabling CSM, removing it, and then you may get full resolution with the UEFI drivers. You can no longer boot legacy though.... Don't see why you would need to though.

This is legacy Clover BDS menu timeout. I am not sure if it used anywhere.

That's why I chose that variable to test the writing. They have a whitelist in which only certain variables can be written, that is one. They can write to it, but not another test variable. So, they have working NVRAM just that the actual NVRAM modules have a bug that restricts what can be written at runtime.

Hello Slice,

I know that an HD3000 system is an old equipment, but that's the one I have. Do you have any insight on how to get rid of the graphics glitches?

I already have 8GB of RAM and don't know the DVMT size or how to increase it.

I was booting in legacy mode but I discovered I can do UEFI and now I'm using Aptio2Fix without a slide parameter. My calculated slide=39 doesn't work.

I also have an HD3000. I'm trying to figure it out.... 

Once upon a time I heard about slide=0 may help to artefact problem on Intel HD3000. I can't confirm or comment this because I have no such video.

My HD4000 depends on BIOS version (comp #2 in sig). Version A12 good while version A23 is full of artefacts. Did you checked different BIOSes?

I have heard this too and I don't think it's actually related to the solution. Because it does nothing for me. I think that the slide was just overwriting some region it needed and disabling KASLR didn't put the kernel overwriting these regions. The fact that two versions of the same firmware act differently tells me that most likely it has to do with a memory region that in windows and linux is ok but in macOS it determines the wrong mapping or no mapping for it.

• Like 2

For that model, ASUS didn't release many BIOSes, the one I'm using is the latest and that's the one that boots Win8 and Win10.

In fact, on the download site there's no previous version. I'm even afraid to downgrade because I bricked the same laptop by flashing a bad BIOS. Had to replace the motherboard.

The slide=0 I think was a placebo. Currently, I can't boot with slide=0 on AptioFix2. With AptioFix1 slide=0 allows me to boot but the artifacts are there. They appear later when the computer has a more time on.

It most certainly is, I think it was just a matter of luck, as sleep/hibernation seemed to be.

i tested my hp 4230s sandy laptop

now, i can use native NVRAM with OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi.

i always used slide=0 before. but if i use new OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi, i can't use slide=0. i have to remove slide=0 bootarg.

as result, only use OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi

thank you so much again.

EDIT1.

i will check Snow leopard booting.

slide=0 just disables KASLR.

I'm in the same boat. Using slide=0 gives me the prohibited sign. I even calculated my slide value (well, it was calculated for me by apianti) and I can't boot with that value either.

However, I did have native NVRAM without emuvariable.efi.

I don't get why it's failing when you set the slide, there must be some other side effect, but your firmware is nuts with the allocations. Jeez.

Hi apianti

if I don't remember bad you talk about to mod nvram section in x99 bios.

Can you point me in right direction if it is there some guide to execute this firmware patch?

I would like to ask also, in my condition I see many useful variable stored I think by clover and my system is fully working

For x99 users is there a really needs to have a working Nvram?

thank you

fabio, don't you have working NVRAM? It is just whitelisted. And yes you probably want fully functioning NVRAM to actually be able to write stuff, like when you use an upgrade or an installer or want to set startup disk, or any number of things stored in NVRAM. sleep/hibernation....

can someone help me calculate the slide value needed. ive attached my memmap.

Thanks in advanced!

Use any slide you want.

Available  0000000000100000-00000000312F9FFF 00000000000311FA 000000000000000F

Is clover ready for 17C205 security update?

No idea. Yes?

• Like 1

Is clover ready for 17C205 security update?

If it wasn't, I wouldn't be writing this on my hack... ;)

I have updated my both hacks and no problems, just testing the correct slide value to see if it minimizes the glitches on my HD3000.

Cheers!

• Like 1

i tested snow leopard boot.

OsxAptioFixDrv

-snow boot no problem

-native nvram - works

OsxAptioFix2Drv

-lead to get memory allocation error

-native nvram - works

my sandy laptop show that OsxAptioFixDrv is best.

hd 3000 is no problem on hp 4230s

• Like 2

No weird horizontal lines from time to time, specially in web browsers when you have many tabs and apps open? 

What's your SMBIOS? Can you share your config / DSDT?

Thanks in advance.

i tested snow leopard boot.

OsxAptioFixDrv

-snow boot no problem

-native nvram - works

OsxAptioFix2Drv

-lead to get memory allocation error

-native nvram - works

my sandy laptop show that OsxAptioFixDrv is best.

You must use old AptioFix or AptioFix2 pre r4369 for anything older than ML.

EDIT: Also just don't use AptioFix after r4369 at all. It will produce side effects.

No weird horizontal lines from time to time, specially in web browsers when you have many tabs and apps open? 

Thanks in advance.

I will go weeks, then for days have artifacts, then fine again. Currently I can't even get my HD3000 to work right. It is not injected properly and I can't figure out why.

• Like 1

Thanks in advance.

UEFI, only intel inject, macbookpro8,1, slide=0

나의 LG-F800S 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

You must use old AptioFix or AptioFix2 pre r4369 for anything older than ML.

EDIT: Also just don't use AptioFix after r4369 at all. It will produce side effects.

I will go weeks, then for days have artifacts, then fine again. Currently I can't even get my HD3000 to work right. It is not injected properly and I can't figure out why.

Thank you for advice

나의 LG-F800S 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

• Like 1

Quick question:

At least in theory, would it be possible for Clover (and / or some connected UEFI drivers) to update the CPUs microcode?

Yeah, if you have the microcode update, I don't see why it couldn't. The operating system is able to do this, linux does, look at the proprietary drivers in use in say ubuntu.

• Like 1

Well, I think you might guess why I am asking this. So, there are new microcode updates for many Intel CPUs fixing (at least partially, likely it is more a mitigation than a real fix) those nasty security issues. And yes, I know you can update the microcode using Linux. But AFAIK this is not persistent. When I understand this correctly, you usually need a BIOS update to make it more persistent, but I doubt there will be many esp for older boards.

So, what about delegating this to clover? I.e. a user would download the microcode update (for example here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27431/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File) and a UEFI module/driver will take care of doing the update?

By this way, we would have mitigation for many Hacks where it wouldn't be possible otherwise. And of course not everyone is on 10.13 ...

Well, I think you might guess why I am asking this. So, there are new microcode updates for many Intel CPUs fixing (at least partially, likely it is more a mitigation than a real fix) those nasty security issues. And yes, I know you can update the microcode using Linux. But AFAIK this is not persistent. When I understand this correctly, you usually need a BIOS update to make it more persistent, but I doubt there will be many esp for older boards.

So, what about delegating this to clover? I.e. a user would download the microcode update (for example here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27431/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File) and a UEFI module/driver will take care of doing the update?

By this way, we would have mitigation for many Hacks where it wouldn't be possible otherwise. And of course not everyone is on 10.13 ...

Yeah, it's not persistent unless it's flashed with the firmware. Only SOME CPUs can be microcode updated to MITIGATE the problem in conjunction with the actual separating of the kernel and user space so it's no longer possible to attack by side-channeling. The separating of the memory spaces is really what will protect from the vulnerability, as well as Intel saying that all accesses of this nature should have a serializing instruction to prevent speculation.

ive been wondering the same thing. any chance somehere could tell us how to implement a microcode update (made for linux) with clover that would be awesome! 

I'm not sure it makes much sense. It alone is not going to protect from the vulnerability, because the problem is in the actual silicon of the chip, so the memory map can be side-channeled through speculation. The memory map needs to be separated from any other memory map if you want to not have this vulnerability.

I have 2 systems with HD 3000 and my experience is that glitches and/or gfx artifacts (random black lines/spots etc) can be caused by an improper EDID - or conversely fixed by an alternate/proper EDID. without going into detail, besides EDID there are other causes of glitches and there are plenty of other threads that discuss this topic.

I have 2 systems with HD 3000 and my experience is that glitches and/or gfx artifacts (random black lines/spots etc) can be caused by an improper EDID - or conversely fixed by an alternate/proper EDID. without going into detail, besides EDID there are other causes of glitches and there are plenty of other threads that discuss this topic.

My laptop with i5-2410M with HD3000 have glitches and have no way to freak with even with Edie injection.

Only way is downgrade to osx10.11.3 or early and with slide=0 can solve this problem.

After OSX10.11.4 the slide=0 with no use to solve the glitches on HD3000 and I tried every method such as use MacBookPro8,1 properties and inject vbios or inject edid but still have no success.

So I brought a new laptop...............

But I still want to solve this problem.

Rehabman said it may be related with DVMT but HD3000 how to change DVMT?

And VBIOS I can’t inject Intel graphics vbios through Clover.

Now I hope some one can work into this graphic.

HD OK

HD2000 OK

HD3000 Glitches

HD4000 OK

Only HD3000 have this problem and I don’t know why.

I have tried all my best and tried all method I can thought.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Both my computers #1 and #2 work fine with NVRAM with new AptioFix2.

Congratulations to whom concerned!

Hello Slice.

SourceForge have changed style and I suppose to upload an new high resolution icon about Clover.

Thanks and good evening.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

I really have enough now of High Sierra. So much software is buggy, laggy, unstable now. nvidia graphics driver behaviour is weird. Maybe I'll try the new security patch if the recent nvidia arrives. But I think that it will be the same. So going back to a solid and stable 10.12.6 pre-spectre.

Both my computers #1 and #2 work fine with NVRAM with new AptioFix2.

Congratulations to whom concerned!

Usually got kernelcache erros with new aptiofix 2 using clover 4369. Had to boot twice at minimum for system to go forward.