Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

As far as I know, there is no single line of code copied from RevoBoot into Clover.

You may look at it that way, but... The lines are taken from Chameleon and here is a simple example: Enter "DHP Chameleon" in Google and follow the first link. Just to give you one example I'm rather busy right now so I was lazy. Anyway. I take it that this is cleared up now, because copyrights are non transferable goods and nobody can claim to be safe, just because someone else failed.

But there are many lines of code in Clover that are copied from Chameleon. Many people were involved in Chameleon development and many more contributed to it. Maybe something in Chameleon was copied from RevoBoot - but I do not know that.

Understandable, but maybe it is time to change a few things around here. And when someone like me can point people here to stuff that was introduced by Sam, like the essential chosen/boot-uuid property content, which developers should clearly remember, then you cannot claim not to know anything about it. Or waver it away as something that doesn't really matter. The size and length of code snippets doesn't really matter. What matters is the end result, and without the lines Sam wrote... there is no iCloud/iMessage support. Not to mention being able to boot properly.

And now the question: how to track which specific line of Chameleon code is written by who in order to mention every single person in Clover's credit? That is impossible.

Normally yes, but with something this obvious and so essential, then one can start to wonder about the reasons behind it, for not mentioning/recognising the hard work done by my sister.

The solution to this is, as I see it, simple: Clover took some code from Chameleon and Clover should mention that and give credits to Chameleon team. If Chameleon took some code from RevoBoot, then Chameleon should give credits for this. If RevoBoot take that code from some other place, then RevoBoot should give credit for that, and so on ...

No. Samantha has never been part of any team. And again. You cannot hide behind the failures of others. Copyright is copyright. Anyone here should understand that, because if you do that, then you basically give credit to the wrong per and for the wrong reasons.

Who will know if Chameleon took some code from RevoBoot (if!!!)? Well, Chameleon team obviously. How could I know if that happened or not? So, if the answer is Yes, then this should be mentioned in Chameleon's credits. Why would we (Clover team) now need to investigate RevoBoot's contribution to Chameleon (if there is any)?

You seem to believe that not a single line from Sam was used in any other boot loader. To me that is disrespectful, but I can step over it. I'll ask you this: Who wrote the lines for chosen/boot-uuid? Remember this. You can find it in this very forum. Simply because it was my sister. Why do we even need to discuss this here? That sucks!

I already had one request from Pike to mention Sam in the code for Clover's AppleIntelCPUPowerManagemen kext patch (for locked MSR 0xE2), and now I am very close to regret that I did that. I took all needed info for this patch from flaked's speedstepper and put the link to it to the source (this one). Now I think this should be enough. If flAked used Sam's work for his speedstepper, then he should be chased for mentioning that in his thread, and that should be it.

So now you regret it, because I complain about the lack of proper credits for my late sister in this thread? Hmm. Maybe you, or someone else here, should read this thread: http://www.insanelym...sus-p8p67-m-pro You get there when you follow the link you provided. Or maybe you should PM George and ask him who solved that 0xE2 lock problem. Most people here know that already, and so should you. There is no excuse for not knowing this.

And think about this: Someone reads a book and uses some of the info for a paper. Then someone else uses the paper, instead of the book, for his own work... and in your world (apparently) the copyrights are then transferred, simply because you don't know who the original author is. That to me should never (have) happen(ed). Only the original author/developer should get recognised and get the credits for it. Not someone else.

By the way, where is this going? Apple vs Samsung, Oracle vs Google ... do we need layers now?

My goal is to change the unethical attitude some people here seem to have when it comes to using other peoples source code and ideas. That is all. But anyway. I am done with it. Don't want to be remembered about something this painful anymore. Have a nice life.

• Like 1

People, what harm will do just add RevoBoot or RevoGirl to an already lengthily list? Will it hurt to type eight letters? Nobody's asking anyone to sign a contract or pay royalties.

Huge Clover fan here (to the point to dare advertising it openly in all-hostile Voldemort castle, besides recommending it to about everyone) yet cannot escape the appeal of common sense. As Alessandro asked, i repeat: please make it happen.

All the best!

• Like 2

Everyone, all that Pike is asking for is that all the many valuable contributions (both large and small) made by his sister Sam to the OSx86 hackintosh community, are open and fairly acknowledged by all the devs making use of her ideas, coding etc., and just as importantly, are remembered for a long time, as a mark of the OSx86 hackintosh community's respect for a very smart young girl whose very productive life was cruelly cut short by cancer.......surely, one can sense that Pike is still grieving for Sam and wants the best for her as if she were still here with him and his family...........

• Like 2

First of all, I am speaking for myself and not for other Clover developers.

Pike, Google for "DHP Chameleon" reveals this as second link to me: http://forge.voodoop...ce/commit/2037/ . Were you thinking of this? There are around 50 files changed, mostly code reformatting. What should I do with this? How can I found out here what is taken from RevoBoot and how is this connected to Clover? How would I ever be able to write any line of code for Clover if I would have to go through every single commit of every project connected to hackintosh to discover which line is written by which developer? How would any new developer be able to do anything in the future if every person who ever contributed his/her findings or code to Chameleon start chasing that new developer for not mentioning his/her name because new developer took some code from Chameleon? Specially, when he/her talks in abstract and does not specify particular piece of the code?

Plus, most of those files listed in that commit are not even present in Clover.

Please, do not be lazy and point me to the code in Clover that is taken from RevoBoot. I see no point in abstract talking.

chosen/boot-uuid - this is not relevant for Clover since Clover is using Apple's boot.efi to boot OSX. You may try to sue Apple for using "chosen/boot-uuid" without mentioning RevoBoot.

iMessage - I'm sorry but I have no idea how Sam contributed to resolving that issue. Please be so kind and explain it. As far as I know, resolving iMessage issue was an example of collective community work where many people were involved in resolving the issue and where crucial part in understanding what is going on is found out by ElNono_ from ##### site.

@verdant: I have nothing against "many valuable contributions (both large and small) made by his sister Sam to the OSx86 hackintosh community, are open and fairly acknowledged". But I do not see any significant contribution to Clover speciffically.

@theconnactic: My personal issue is that I devoted significant time to Clover development and I found offending that Pike comes and claims ownership on something while I do not see how is this connected to Clover at all. Until I am presented with some more concrete examples and arguments, I am taking those requests simply as bullying. Again - it's my personal opinion.

• Like 5

Understand, dmazar. In fact, since it's not an outright accusation of plagiarism, i think you guys should have solved this via private messages. Perhaps, as i said before ( #1503 ), Pike's first post on the subject was kinda out of tune, and perhaps he's firing his gun at the wrong target - what if he should be having this conversation the Chameleon team, not Clover's, since he clearly implied that a former Chameleon developer (who never have anything to do with Clover) used one of his suggestions for a Messages fix without giving due credits (while Clover fix already existed and followed El_Nono's ideas). Maybe he's mixing oranges and apples in the same bowl, and if it's the case, i'm sure he'll rectify his comments upon more reflexions about the matter.

Although i'm glad you guys are getting this discussion in a rather civilized tone, perhaps anything that should be said by each side was done already - unless Pike comes out with objective answers to dmazar's questions - so now it's time to de-escalate, right?

All the best!

Back to the general discussion about Clover:

What's the equivalent of darkwake=10 (not zero, ten!) in Clover? This flag - which is in fact passed verbatim to the kernel, it's important to register - is the only way to fix auto sleep in my system. Done with Chameleon, i'd like to fix it as well in Clover UEFI, my bootloader of choice.

• Like 1

tryin to add generateivy states yes to my config plist and im now sent here after a long time.... I simlpy need to know where the CONIFG.PLIST file is located...!

That would be very helpful..

If you installed Clover to your Lion/ML partition it should be in /EFI/CLOVER/ (or in the OEM folder but you wouldn't be asking if you used this method)

If you installed Clover to your ESP then you should first mount it and then look for the file on the same route I mentioned before but in this partition instead.

EDIT: anyway, this is not a thread for questions, just instructions. Ask here instead -> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284656-clover-general-discussion/

ok so im having trouble accessing my clover efi folder, I need to access my Config.plist to add generate ivy states - yes.

I was told this.

"If you installed Clover to your Lion/ML partition it should be in /EFI/CLOVER/ (or in the OEM folder but you wouldn't be asking if you used this method)

If you installed Clover to your ESP then you should first mount it and then look for the file on the same route I mentioned before but in this partition instead.

EDIT: anyway, this is not a thread for questions, just instructions. Ask here instead -> http://www.insanelym...ral-discussion/

"

I looked for the clover and efi location an searched for config.plist and no luck.

Now Im not sure abother either of those options and i cant remember can someone please help me?????

I find Pike's comments rather sad - Samantha did a great deal - nobody doubts that but let her rest in peace , and please cease the bitterness and do something about the oversized ego - it alienates people and looses you a great deal of respect.

Time to grow up Pike.

Hmm. I said to be done with it already didn't I?

But let me be perfectly clear about one thing and that is that I do not claim anything for myself! Not that "claiming" is the correct term to use, but whatever. This is about the hard work done by Sam. Not about me.

And yes. I am sorry to have mentioned Chameleon, as another example, but this is not about Chameleon. This is about Clover and thus I am not comparing apples with oranges. It was just an example. An attempt to show people that Sam did indeed contribute, or that some of her work/ideas were in fact used. This because people were using the "if" clause here a few times. Like she didn't do anything. Remember?

Also. I do not have any issues with any Clover developer, and I also like to keep this discussion addressed in a civilised way. We're adults after all, right. Therefore I do not understand the bully part and false accusation that I am (trying) to claim anything, for myself, since this is clearly about my sister.

And like I said in one of my previous replies already. I am not going to re-read posts made by my sister, simply because I don't like to be remembered about our loss and how much we miss her. What I can tell you folks here, like I also said in one of my previous replies already, is that sometimes things are not clear. Sometimes people use ideas and blog posts to solve issues, but then that same blog post still accounts as being Sam's idea. Sam's original work and Sam being the copyright holder.

Now. I guess you folks remember this error: "P-State Stepper Error 18 at step 2 in context 2 on CPU 1"

Introduced with the PM changes in 10.7.4 Correct?

http://www.insanelym...8/#entry1815851

Guess what. The P-State generator in both Chameleon and Clover was changed in order to bypass the kernel panic at boot time.

Then read this: "No more KP in AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement"

http://www.insanelym...00#entry1685587

But I guess that using stuff discovered and documented, in great detail even, isn't worth anything. Isn't worth being mentioned. I mean like power management is nothing to you. But no. Some of the developers miraculously solved the issue. Only after Sam documented her finding in both this forum and her blog.

About the iMessage fix. I laugh at it because it was Sam who documented her findings long before anyone else did. but again. That doesn't account for anything. You just use the work from the person who (possibly) used the work from someone else. Another abstract example.

You know what. You got to wonder why so many of you here complained about code theft, screamed murder when the flip side started to use your work, but God forbid when someone like me tries to get his sisters work recognised.

@afd_sg,

Have you lost a sister or brother? I sure hope not, but I tell you something like that changes everything. Especially when something this lame happens. Then you would have understand what we are going through. And please. Do not tell other people to grow up when they are fighting for the rights of a lost family member.

Anyway. I am far from bitter. In fact I'm quite relaxed about everything. I guess this had to be discussed to settle it so be happy and go with the flow folks. Enjoy your stay here, and when it is your turn to help someone, then I hope you are brave enough to keep your back straight, put your head upwards and fight for the good cause. Like I will keep doing. Without any form of hate towards anyone here.

And to show you how relaxed I am; I like to acknowledge the hard work of Sergey (slice) and his team mates. Keep up the good work guys, but if you ever use source code/ideas that isn't yours, then remember this. Signed off by ABC – like they do in the EDK2 world.

Have a good one.

• Like 2

kinds lost still i found plist file for config but i tried generateivystates an that didnt work.

should i try that?

<key>ACPI</key>

****<dict>

********<key>DropOemSSDT</key>

********<string>No</string>

********<key>GenerateIvyStates</key>

********<string>Yes</string>

********<key>MaxMultiplier</key>

********<string>38</string>

********<key>MinMultiplier</key>

********<string>8</string>

********<key>UnderVoltStep</key>

********<string>0</string>

****</dict>

<key>CPU</key>

****<dict>

********<key>Turbo</key>

****</dict>*

@afd_sg,

Have you lost a sister or brother? I sure hope not, but I tell you something like that changes everything. Especially when something this lame happens. Then you would have understand what we are going through. And please. Do not tell other people to grow up when they are fighting for the rights of a lost family member.

Yes I have - my younger brother was hit by a drunken driver 30 years ago while walking his dog - he was given hours to live, but survived 20 years as a cabbage (vegative state). He could breath by himself and hear, but nothing else... To know somebody and see them suffer for so long was like being crucified. But I do also know that we must never hold bitterness and resentment in such cases as I can also tell you that leads to dis-ease and then disease.

I feel your pain but also know you have to let go....

kinds lost still i found plist file for config but i tried generateivystates an that didnt work.

should i try that?

ACPI

********DropOemSSDT

********No

********GenerateIvyStates

********Yes

********MaxMultiplier

********MinMultiplier

********UnderVoltStep

CPU

********Turbo

********Yes

No, reduce this to

<key>ACPI</key>
****<dict>
********<key>GenerateIvyStates</key>
****</dict>
<key>CPU</key>
****<dict>
********<key>Turbo</key>
****</dict>*

UPDATE:

I redownloaded CloverGrower from GitHub which published on the 3rd May and it is working now.

UPDATE 2:

While the package can install into a USB, the USB itself it is not usable because upon boot it writes:

boot0: error

I am using CloverGrower and encountered the error below.

Apparently the file ... /CloverGrower-master/src/edk2/Clover/rEFIt_UEFI/rEFIt.dsc doesn't exist.

How do I remedy this situation?

Thx.

Build environment: Darwin-12.3.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Build start time: 11:34:08, May.05 2013

build.py...
: error 000E: File/directory not found in workspace
/Data/XCodes/clover/CloverGrower-master/src/edk2/Clover/rEFIt_UEFI/rEFIt.dsc (Please give file in absolute path or relative to WORKSPACE)
- Failed -
Build end time: 11:34:08, May.05 2013
Build total time: 00:00:00
rEFIT_UEFI_X64/IA32: RELEASE ERROR!!
Good Morning.

Now. I guess you folks remember this error: "P-State Stepper Error 18 at step 2 in context 2 on CPU 1"

Introduced with the PM changes in 10.7.4 Correct?

http://www.insanelym...8/#entry1815851

Guess what. The P-State generator in both Chameleon and Clover was changed in order to bypass the kernel panic at boot time.

Although Pike is gone, I'll still finish this one, since I already spent some time digging about it.

Yes, indeed. Sam wrote about how to resolve the P-State Stepper Error. I used her findings to fix P states in my DSDT. And I can only thank her for this.

As far as Chameleon's and Clover's P states code generator is concerned, if I got it right, this was never the issue, since those generators were always generating continues P states. Sam's findings were needed only for guys (like me) who had their own P states in their DSDT/SSDTs. No code changes in Clover were needed nor done.

I'm relatively new in hackintosh community and I really do not know who made what and when for many things I take for granted. For example: who made P and C states generators, who changed them, who made graphics injector, who discovered which properties we need to inject for which cards (ATI, NVIDIA, Intel, one person or many persons), USB injections, who find out what we need to inject for SMBIOS, which patches are needed for DSDT (every single one of them), kernel patching (pcj introduced it to Clover, but did he take it from meklort, or somebody else?) ... . Mentioned things are not even detailed enough and I am also far from listing all of it. And all those stuff are used in Clover, Chameleon and any other current and future booters.

I can easily say that this is all now common hackintosh knowledge and resolve the possible credits issues by just saying "Thanks to all hackintosh community". And then, behind every single discovery or feature there are real people who deserves to be mentioned and credited. And how to do that?

It looks impossible to me that some new developer would be able to investigate and list every single person who contributed to hackintosh stuff. Specially when you deal with boot loader which uses many different findings. Also it's not fair to credit only those who are loud enough to ask for their credits and leave out those who silently contribute with new things and are not asking around for recognition.

I have no idea how to resolve this. But I think guys who are moderating hack scene (forums) should try to move those things from developer as much as possible. If possible. I do not know ... maybe you could make some kind of registry and list all contributions with the list of people? And then anybody who is using that "common knowledge" can just reference to that list? Something like that would remove digging into hack history and fighting around who deserves credits for what of of our back.

• Like 11

hi...

I would like to suggest a topic with the history of hackintosh...(like a

"hall of fame")

so, all of us could learn about the birth and the evolution of what we are doing now...

and we can thanks for this conquest...

sorry my english...

c.frio

• Like 2

Sometimes code is being copy paste in other projects without knowing who the original developer was (even 'he' could copy/based on something that already existed). Result: credits are being forgotten.

Sometimes code is being copy paste in other projects without knowing if the code is being protected (e.g. copyrighted material). Result: flames/the courthouse.

Sometimes code is being copy paste in other projects knowing someone-else made it. Sometimes the other party even redistribute it and saying that they invented the wheel. Result: original developer(s) need to defend their original written product to others/Confined others that they write it.

Sometimes ..

To make a long story short: It happens/can happen. To give a big example from 2012: Google vs Java; for using (Java-)code in their Android OS that look exactly the same as in a (Oracle) Java written-framework.

But still I believe most of the (Clover) developers give credit when they need to. Even when they take a basic code from someone else and completely rewrite it to their own standards.

I don't want to get involved in this discussion, because I'm simple not a Clover/OS X developer, only an user. But I would like to say that I really learned a lot the couple of years from developers (RevoGirl included), to know that they are doing their best (with spare time) making 'cool' projects and doing the best for the community. :)

• Like 3

If anyone shows me a contribution of Revogirl into Clover then I will insert her copyright here.

All claims that I see are irrelevant.

• Like 2

Hello everyone, I installed ML in this Notebook: X501A, B980 CPU.

Clover sees the HD3000 video card with no graphics acceleration

Schermata 2013-05-06 alle 09.45.02.png

and I wanted to inject this string in config.plist.

device-properties key>

4a00000001000000010000003e0000000100000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff0400180000006400650076006900630065002d006900640000000800000016010000

What is the procedure to insert it?

thanks

Schermata 2013-05-06 alle 09.45.02.png

device-properties key>

4a00000001000000010000003e0000000100000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff0400180000006400650076006900630065002d006900640000000800000016010000

thanks

In the config.plist

<key>PCI</key>
<dict>
<key>StringInjector</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>DeviceProperties</key>
<string>4a00000001000000010000003e0000000100000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff0400180000006400650076006900630065002d006900640000000800000016010000</string>

• Like 1

post-370803-0-47018700-1367829106_thumb.png

<key> device-properties </ key>

<string>4a00000001000000010000003e0000000100000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff0400180000006400650076006900630065002d006900640000000800000016010000</string>

thanks

In the config.plist

<key>PCI</key>
<dict>
<key>StringInjector</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>DeviceProperties</key>

B980 dont have hd3000 http://ark.intel.com/products/69669/

U can try these

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/63-intel-hd-2000-full-resolution-enabler-kexts/