Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Was already filed as bug #410.

Thanks for pointing this out.

It is the fix I have decided to implement in my Clover fork.

Because really there is no edk2 bug here, just an overly pedantic compiler.

• Like 1

gm converted my GUID/HFS drive to APFS i had a working windows 10 dual boot on it which clover handled. now trying to boot windows after the conversion running clover 4220 i get

sanity_check_alloced_blocks:144: fs_alloc_count mismatch: fs root nodes 86624 extent 6427 omap 1140 snap_meta 1 udata: 9228711 fs_alloc_count 9550063 efi_container_free:512: leaked 112

does that make sense or look familiar to anyone out there?

It took a 2-3 days but I figured out that...

In Clover

If I have CsmVideoDxe-64.efi in my drivers64UEFI folder, I can use Clover to:

1) Boot into Windows and Linux without any problems

2) I CAN NOT boot into High Sierra in any way, my screen is corrupt

234851-f97bd132579354d979956b421d4cb1f5.

High Sierra with CsmVideoDxe-64.efi in my drivers64UEFI folder

If I DONT't have CsmVideoDxe-64.efi in my drivers64UEFI folder, I can use Clover to:

1) Boot into High Sierra without any problems

2) I CAN NOT boot into Windows and Linux
234850-468ecf080c254d624ebd03e60590b244.
Linux and Windows without CsmVideoDxe-64.efi in my drivers64UEFI folder (just a cursor)

MY QUESTION IS...

Is there a solution to this problem? Can I keep CsmVideoDxe-64.efi in my folder so, Windows and Linux will boot and disable it from High Sierra? Should I just take CsmVideoDxe-64.efi out but... How do I get into Windows and Linux through Clover then? Is there another way to fix this problem???

I have:
Intel Core i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz
Gigabyte GA-Z270MX/Gaming 5
Samsung CF791 Series 34-Inch Curved Widescreen Monitor (C34F791)  3440x1440 4K
Samsung U28E590D 28-Inch UHD LED-Lit Monitor with Freesync support  3840x2160 4K
AMD Radeon Pro Vega Air-Cooled Frontier Edition 16 GB

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT! I attached my config.plist if that helps in any way for somebody.

If all OS is UEFI installed. Try to disabled CSM in Bios and test 

• Like 1

I'm running Clover 4220 (and have run 4097 through 4200 with similar results) with Sierra 10.12.6 on a bootable Fusion Drive. When I run the High Sierra installer to try to upgrade (either from USB or directly from within macOS), the installer quickly copies some files and then reboots. But there is no option to "Install macOS High Sierra" in Clover at that point. Moreover, my Fusion Drive appears as two separate entries, each of which are unbootable with the error "Error loading kernel cache 0xe". I have to boot into a recovery partition and repair the Fusion Drive with Disk Utility.

Can anybody help?

@Gogeta5026,

If you have a UEFI firmware (which that board does) then don't boot legacy at all, make sure your integrated gpu is set to be initialized before discrete gpu in firmware setup, turn off CSM in your firmware setup, and don't use CsmVideoDxe-64.efi. You should then have all resolutions that your discrete gpu supports. Though who knows the newer Radeon cards seem to have crazy weird issues with black screen.

EDIT: Did you install windows and linux in legacy mode? You can google how to convert both to UEFI mode, but truthfully I would just save your important stuff and reinstall them in UEFI mode (CSM disabled to be sure).

EDIT2: You can check if you installed in legacy mode by disabling the legacy scan in your config, then the legacy entries won't appear.

@fabiosun,

Why not just give your details and boot.log so then the patch can be fixed and you don't need to do anything, besides maybe help someone debug your problem, like @syscl or @Sherlocks?

I guess the "reboot fix" patch is broken. In some rare cases, only disabling _xcpm_pkg_scope_msrs is not enough. (like fabiosun's case)

Better to revert to r4184's reboot patch. (https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/4184/tree//rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/kernel_patcher.c#l944) And remove the useless one. (https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/4184/tree//rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/kernel_patcher.c#l977) Because the " instant reboot(0x55)" patch will also affect _xcpm_pkg_scope_msrs.

I think that the patch is just not fully working for everyone yet. It's only doing exactly what you say you are doing, if the FakeCPUID is a problem then maybe someone can fix it so that if fake CPUID is already set it doesn't override it. The other stuff you're saying I don't understand. Why do you need multiple ways to do something? The less patching the better, and patching for CPU support is the best solution. Also MSR 0xE2 patching already exists in clover, and it's done automatically unless you disable it purposefully.

Hello! Please, I need help. I stack with Clover V2. 4012 version. When i put v4220 i got this error. Can someone help me? 
With 4012 Clover works perfect, but i need v4220 for High Sierra. Thanks!

post-646273-0-08446300-1506272670_thumb.jpg

boot arg -disablegfxfirmware works for hd630 in high sierra thx to whom added it

post-421878-0-69122700-1506275751_thumb.png

Hello! Please, I need help. I stack with Clover V2. 4012 version. When i put v4220 i got this error. Can someone help me? 

Why do you need r 4220 for High Sierra?

• Like 1

@Slice

@ephantom

What driver are you using, HFSPlus.efi or VBoxHFS.efi?

As well HFSPlus.efi can be from iMac or from MacPro.

Thanks for the response and Sorry for the late reply.

Refresher reference: In a nutshell i'm seeing a weird HD partition size limit in the clover boot loader where if the OS boot partition is larger than 750GB it doesn't show up as a selectable drive. 

VBoxHfs-64.efi   I'm using the default clover install for the most part, except for adding in network, sound kext files specific to my hardware.

Update: 

I just tried placing github.com/JrCs/CloverGrowerPro/blob/master/Files/HFSPlus/X64/HFSPlus.efi in my boot partitions:

EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64/ and EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ (renaming/disabling VBoxHfs-64.efi which was only labeled Hfs driver on my EFI partition and it was only in the drivers64UEFI folder.)

And I got the same results after rebooting.

Question for clarification:

EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ I assume is only used when booting from newer systems with UEFI correct?

I only found the VBoxHfs-64.efi file only in that directory so my assumption was it was not used to boot into the loader menu.

my EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64/ didn't have any Hfs.efi driver in it. Is bios Hfs being loaded else where?

What part does EFI/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi file/directory  play in loading Hfs (if any)?

Thanks.

Hey guys,

is the recent sourceforge clover version ready for the final high sierra? And are there updated nvidia drivers out now or is nvidia driver native/vanilla now ?   Will my samsung evo 850 convert to APFS automatically, but the physical HDDs stay HFS+? And last question:  Can I simply use the updater app from the appstore?

Thank you!

Oh and one very last question:  How can I see from what drive / partition clover was started actually? Since here there is bootblock madness and I have multiple installations of clover on various partitions and backup drives :)

• Like 1

@Slice

Thanks for the response and Sorry for the late reply.

Refresher reference: In a nutshell i'm seeing a weird HD partition size limit in the clover boot loader where if the OS boot partition is larger than 750GB it doesn't show up as a selectable drive. 

VBoxHfs-64.efi   I'm using the default clover install for the most part, except for adding in network, sound kext files specific to my hardware.

Update: 

I just tried placing github.com/JrCs/CloverGrowerPro/blob/master/Files/HFSPlus/X64/HFSPlus.efi in my boot partitions:

EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64/ and EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ (renaming/disabling VBoxHfs-64.efi which was only labeled Hfs driver on my EFI partition and it was only in the drivers64UEFI folder.)

And I got the same results after rebooting.

Question for clarification:

EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ I assume is only used when booting from newer systems with UEFI correct?

I only found the VBoxHfs-64.efi file only in that directory so my assumption was it was not used to boot into the loader menu.

my EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64/ didn't have any Hfs.efi driver in it. Is bios Hfs being loaded else where?

What part does EFI/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi file/directory  play in loading Hfs (if any)?

Thanks.

Without more information, debug information I can't know what is your problem. May be you need to override PartitionDxe.efi.

Answers:

EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ used when booting in UEFI mode. Boot entry like "[uEFI] Boot Clover.efi from MacHD"

EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64/ used when booting in legacy mode. Boot entry like "[PBR] Boot MacHD"

In legacy mode own set of drivers contained in CloverEFI (boot file) which contains VBosHFS.efi. You may override it by a file in drivers64 folder.

In UEFI mode own set of drivers contained in BIOS UEFI. In most cases it doesn't contain any HFS+ support. You have to add it.

I'm running Clover 4220 (and have run 4097 through 4200 with similar results) with Sierra 10.12.6 on a bootable Fusion Drive. When I run the High Sierra installer to try to upgrade (either from USB or directly from within macOS), the installer quickly copies some files and then reboots. But there is no option to "Install macOS High Sierra" in Clover at that point. Moreover, my Fusion Drive appears as two separate entries, each of which are unbootable with the error "Error loading kernel cache 0xe". I have to boot into a recovery partition and repair the Fusion Drive with Disk Utility.

Can anybody help?

In the case of I

install and after restarting I re-enter in the clover and the bootavel partition does not appear to initialize the High Sierra

Clover 4220

SSD 120GB + HDD 500GB - Fusion Drive

Do you know of any limitation of Clover installer for APFS volumes? Looks like the installer is not able to write the boot files to the volume, so the installation fails.

Here are the steps I followed to upgrade to High Sierra (final) just yesterday:

1) Start with Sierra 10.12 installed in SSD formatted as HFS+ (Clover 4200)
2) Copy apfs.efi in both drivers64 and drivers64UEFI directories
3) Start the Upgrade to High Sierra as usual
4) The system is rebooted a couple of times during the upgrade and the HFS+ partition is automatically converted to APFS
5) At the final reboot: "error: boot0af"   :angry:

Anyway, I am still able to boot High Sierra by using an usb key with Clover 4200 installed!

In conclusion... it seems that after the HFS+ volume is converted to APFS, Clover has to be reinstalled. Unfortunately, this is not possible as Clover installer always fails to write the boot files to /usr/standalone... (and yes, SIP is disabled) Same happens with Clover 4220..

Am I the only person with this problem? :(   Is there a way to manually install the Clover files?

I will post the error later today when I am back at home.

Thanks.

------------

EDIT:    This is SOLVED by installing Clover in EFI partition (FAT32) as suggested by Slice. In any case, this problem only happens with APFS. This is a bug, or maybe the installer should prevent me to install Clover in the root partition (APFS) as I always did until Sierra.

I am unable to boot with clover r4220. r4211 was fine. Seems like the changes made by @Slice introduced the issue.

Why all SSDT tables dropped?

19:338  0:003  === [ DropSSDT ] ==========================================
19:484  0:145  Drop tables from Xsdt, SIGN=SSDT TableID= Length=0
19:487  0:003   Xsdt has tables count=18
19:490  0:003   Table: SSDT  SataTabl  1007 dropped
19:494  0:003   Table: SSDT  Ther_Rvp  1192 dropped
19:499  0:005   Table: SSDT  CpuSsdt  2932 dropped
19:503  0:003   Table: SSDT  DptfTabl  12853 dropped
19:506  0:003   Table: SSDT  SaSsdt   26004 dropped
19:509  0:003   Table: SSDT  SgPeg  634 dropped
19:513  0:003   Table: SSDT  OptTabl  9097 dropped

Clover feature/enhancement request ...

At the moment it seems that clover only sets/initialises a small sub set of the msr registers ... this for me causes the following issue ...

I have 2017 15" HP Spectre X360 laptop ... if i cold boot OSX via clover the default msr register values are ok and osx runs great ... if i reboot and reload OSX all is still fine .... same goes if i reboot run linux then reboot and reload OSX ....  however if i run Windows 10 then reboot and run OSX some of the MSR registers are left at the values Windows 10 sets them to and OSX power management does not work correctly ... it looks like (at least in this case) that the BIOS does not re initialise the msr registers on a warm boot/reboot.

Having discussed this issue with rehabman it seems that AHCI code can not write to the MSR registers so its not possible to write a SSDT hotpatch to address the issue ... the solution apparently needs to be done through Clover ...

One approach to the solution would be some sort of feature to make and save a 'snapshot' of what ALL the msr register values are and store them as a table . maybe achieved through a F-key like the F4 ACPI dump, then all that is required is a clover option in the CPU section to write/update the MSR registers with the table values during clover initialisation ...

An advantage of this approach (in addition to resolving  an issue like i'm seeing)  is that advanced users could fine tune all the MSR values by editing the dumped snapshot table once the syntax is fully documented ...  having a option in the config plist to point to the required msr snapshot/table would allow users to experiment with different MSR tables/values (a bit like how we can set the dsdt file name) ... taking it one step further the table structure could then be supported by clover configurator for those users not wishing to directly edit the file(s) and need a gui/msr editor ....

I realise this is a niche request right now but it seems that new HP high-end laptops (Spectre & Elite) have a very limited BIOS with no access to any advanced menus so it may become a more prolific problem in the near future ... also its clear to me that those 'other' msr registers have an effect on the systems power management so this feature would sort of make  clover future prof in terms of msr initialisation.

I am happy to supply further debug info and test any beta code if needed ....

Cheers

Jay

I know this issue. It was discussed here some pages ago.

I can set in Clover HWPEnable=YES and it set MSR/HWP to 1.

But after sleep->wake it becomes to be 0.

There is no way to correct it by Clover because Clover will not run at wake process.

My workaround is not use HWP at all and set it always 0. Ordinary Enchanced Speedstep is enough for me.

The better solution will be creting a kext like HWPEnable.kext which is able to work at wake and set MSR to desired value

if someone will create such a kext.

Clover should be installed in EFI partition which is FAT32 and not disturbed by APFS.

I have Clover 4200 & GA-Z77 working great with Sierra / HS. Because SSD + HDs no consersion to APFS. (which  is OK!). All have GUID partition format ( i think then all have EFI partition)

Question (for learning!) :

Isnt the APFS same, means if GUID partitioned HD/SSD EFI partition is same  (not APFS) and only the other partitions can be APFS (+ HFS)?

Or is the partition table also other if APFS is used?

If you have existing HFS partitions in a GUID map then adding APFS will create it's own partition map within the selected partition.

At least that's how I rememeber it with the first PB. It won't affect the existing HFS partitions. I have a triple boot on my laptop and tried APFS early on before deciding to leave it and stick with HFS.

• Like 1