Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

On my desktop I am trying to install onto a Kingston HyperX Savage SSD and I always get the OSInstall error when booting from USB unless I run the 10.13 app from Sierra.

Havnt tried to install on mechanical yet but worth a try I guess.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The USB needs to be a "vanila" USB drive, with no Clover on it, made with createinstallmedia. Untouched. Meaning don't mess with the Packages folder or stuff like this. Just run createinstallmedia from Terminal, wait for it to finish and use it to install High Sierra. Otherwise, you will always get that error.

Well, I still got that error even when running the update. So for me, the only thing that worked was a full format of the HDD. Yes, I was attempting an installation on a HDD. And eventually, it worked. I hope you won't have to do that. :)) But if it worked as an upgrade, then maybe you don't need to do that. In your case, it's probably just the USB drive.

Did you report it or just hope that someone else has this issue and do the job of bug reporting for you?

I did. Provided everything they asked for in order to fix it. 6 months later it's still not fixed.

I tried to install macOS on a mechanical hard disk drives, and every time I tried, even though the macOS installation completed successfully I couldn't boot to macOS desktop at all.

I have to say they were not completely healthy drives but I could install previous versions of macOS and they booted successfully.

You are not alone. As you probably seen above, I had the exact same issue. All fine on the installation. No boot after that. And only when formatted as APFS. Working fine with HFD+ (or other macOS versions).

So don't worry, it's not the drives themselves. It's probably just the support from Apple. Or...maybe a bug they didn't find... Probably not, but who knows? I don't know what else to think.

The USB needs to be a "vanila" USB drive, with no Clover on it, made with createinstallmedia. Untouched. Meaning don't mess with the Packages folder or stuff like this. Just run createinstallmedia from Terminal, wait for it to finish and use it to install High Sierra. Otherwise, you will always get that error.

Well, I still got that error even when running the update. So for me, the only thing that worked was a full format of the HDD. Yes, I was attempting an installation on a HDD. And eventually, it worked. I hope you won't have to do that. :)) But if it worked as an upgrade, then maybe you don't need to do that. In your case, it's probably just the USB drive.

I did. Provided everything they asked for in order to fix it. 6 months later it's still not fixed.

You are not alone. As you probably seen above, I had the exact same issue. All fine on the installation. No boot after that. And only when formatted as APFS. Working fine with HFD+ (or other macOS versions).

So don't worry, it's not the drives themselves. It's probably just the support from Apple. Or...maybe a bug they didn't find... Probably not, but who knows? I don't know what else to think.

Well, I really don't care about those HDDs because they are just for the tests ;) and I know for a fact that they are faulty but after reading  your post I got curious to test them and see what happens and you know what happens, Nothing!!! :D

But I don't think APFS is meant for HDD drives in the first place, because IMHO in the near future they will be obsolete. or not being used for operating system just for storing data on clouds or servers os NAS/DAS devices.

https://bbs.yeshen.com/uc_server/avatar.php?uid=1091844&size=bigHi, i just edited or replaced kexts and did not change the * .efi file. Occasionally stuck in the start screen, or directly black screen? A few days ago there will be config.plist garbled, today is two U disk and ESP are not up ~ because I set up a problem?

ESP.zip

Edited by Allan
English please.

Tomorrow I'll try a fresh USB install with 2 drives. 1 for createinstallmedia and the other just clover.

There is no need for a Clover USB drive if you have it installed on your computer. You can use that one instead.

There is no need for a Clover USB drive if you have it installed on your computer. You can use that one instead.

I did that.

But as a heads up, I had to make 2 kext folders rather than 1 other folder - I made a 10.12 and a 10.13.

Some of my kexts caused kp in high sierra but are needed for 10.12.

The new clover seems to boot my old sierra fine, so I run 2 ssd drives for sierra and high sierra but only need one EFI.

I'm playing with another config plist, named config 10-13 which removes various patches like nvme.

But.....what if someone was to start fresh? With no current install?

Is there a setting in the Config file that would prevent Clover from recognizing an HD that has High Sierra installed on it as bootable? Everything on the disk I am installing HS onto looks right, and I can not get Clover to show it. It shows up fine in my BIOS and if I install clover on the drive, it still does not show up, but if I remove all other drives from the computer and point my BIOS at it, it will boot Clover, but not show any drives to select from.

For me, I had to put the apfs.efi driver in Clover/drivers64, not Clover/drivers64UEFI.

But.....what if someone was to start fresh? With no current install?

Well, if you installed Clover for UEFI, it should go to your EFI partition. For most people, formatting the OS partition is enough for a fresh install. So unless you wipe the entire HDD/SSD (which I think is too much for a fresh install, unless you're me and your damn High Sierra won't get installed unless you do that), you should be fine.

What I'm trying to say is that, for UEFI Clover installations, a fresh install of the OS (meaning formatting only the OS partition) will not touch Clover in any way since that's located on another partition.

So, if I would want to attempt this, I would make a USB drive with createinstallmedia containing the OS, boot into it from the Clover enabled partition on the SSD/HDD, go into Disk Utility before the installation, format only the OS partition, continue the installation on that partition and that's about it.

But then again, it's a good idea to have a backup plan. So...yeah, you could try what I said above, see if it works, but also make a Clover USB drive, just in case the first plan fails or you do something stupid by mistake. Happened to me before. :D

Well, if you installed Clover for UEFI, it should go to your EFI partition. For most people, formatting the OS partition is enough for a fresh install. So unless you wipe the entire HDD/SSD (which I think is too much for a fresh install, unless you're me and your damn High Sierra won't get installed unless you do that), you should be fine.

What I'm trying to say is that, for UEFI Clover installations, a fresh install of the OS (meaning formatting only the OS partition) will not touch Clover in any way since that's located on another partition.

So, if I would want to attempt this, I would make a USB drive with createinstallmedia containing the OS, boot into it from the Clover enabled partition on the SSD/HDD, go into Disk Utility before the installation, format only the OS partition, continue the installation on that partition and that's about it.

But then again, it's a good idea to have a backup plan. So...yeah, you could try what I said above, see if it works, but also make a Clover USB drive, just in case the first plan fails or you do something stupid by mistake. Happened to me before. :D

Yes well I never wipe the entire drive for my working install but for trying to bypass the OSInstall mpkg error I tried that and it still didn't help. Also having clover on one USB and just the install .app on another doesn't work for me either, still results in OSInstall mpkg error.

https://bbs.yeshen.com/uc_server/avatar.php?uid=1091844&size=bigHi, i just edited or replaced kexts and did not change the * .efi file. Occasionally stuck in the start screen, or directly black screen? A few days ago there will be config.plist garbled, today is two U disk and ESP are not up ~ because I set up a problem?

Can help me see config.plist that a node set up with clover conflict or wrong, will lead to the start of the black screen and only show clover ver.xxx Uers setting!

Hi,

Question maybe is not be in good forum.

6b30c738-a391-11d4-9a3b-0090273fc14d is GUID of PlatformDriverOverrideProtocol. Found in CORE_DXE.

It exists in my bios, so why I get this message from clover PlatformDriverOverrideProtocol not found. Installing ... Success ?

Just want to understand.

Fred

Guys, I tried to follow this discussion, but I still have these questions regarding r4077 (or recent build) now:

- Does it boot 10.12.4, 10.12.5, 10.12.6 and 10.3 ?

- Do the installers work?

- Does it still has a working kext injection?

- Does ATI gfx injection still work?

- Is Ryzen now working OOTB?

- Is boot from APFS supported?

Guys, I tried to follow this discussion, but I still have these questions regarding r4077 (or recent build) now: The recent build on soundforge is still 4077 AFAIK but 4084 is out and it's working great.

- Does it boot 10.12.4, 10.12.5, 10.12.6 and 10.3 ? You can boot to 10.12.4, 10.12.5, about 10.12.6 I guess so and about 10.13 NO

- Do the installers work? Yes the Installer works, but not form 10.13, for 10.13 you'll need 4084

- Does it still has a working kext injection? Injectiosn works fine

- Does ATI gfx injection still work? Yes

- Is Ryzen now working OOTB? I don't know about Ryzen

- Is boot from APFS supported? APFS should work as long as you put apps.efi inside drivers64UEFI or drivers64 but since it's for macOS High Sierra it's kind of pointless because you can't use 4077 to install macOS High Sierra or boot into it. with 4084 you can boot from APFS

• Like 1

I Create a useful tool for Mounted EFI APFS Volume and this is useful for make APFS Volume UEFI bootable Clover

My exemple here: is a SSD one partition APFS /GUID

​So if you have a different APFS Role just mount the right volume.

Edit *******

attaching other tools Command Line EFI Mounter for Mount any  partition; EFI,  Recovery, NO NAME (Windows EFI)

useful for seeing the right APFS Rôle 

211.jpg

I am just finish A pure UEFI APFS SSD for my Probook 6570B

sans_t12.jpg

Command Line EFI APFS Mounter.zip

Command Line EFI Mounter.zip

• Like 11

I Create a useful tool for Mounted EFI APFS Volume and this is useful for make APFS Volume UEFI bootable Clover

211.jpg

I am just finish A pure UEFI APFS SSD for my Probook 6570B

sans_t12.jpg

Great app, thanks man :)

• Like 3

Hey guys,

I'm using clover 4084 and I'm getting multiple boot entries. Does anyone else have this issue?

Hey there,

Everything's fine here.

Could you be more specific?

Describe how to reproduce the issue.

Furthermore, screenshots, boot log and config(gui and boot sections) would be of help.

Hey there,

Everything's fine here.

Could you be more specific?

Describe how to reproduce the issue.

Furthermore, screenshots, boot log and config(gui and boot sections) would be of help.

Hi @Needy,

I'm not sure what exactly causes the issue, maybe it's simply that I'm mistaking but I've been trying to test macOS High Sierra and I've been installing it with different settings on different hard drives with different formats (APFS,HFS)

And I have several boot entries.

It's not big deal for me because I can simply remove them I just wanted to make sure that it's not a bug.

As long as it is a single incident on my end it's ok but I just wanted to see if anybody else has came across the issue or not.

Hi,

Question maybe is not be in good forum.

6b30c738-a391-11d4-9a3b-0090273fc14d is GUID of PlatformDriverOverrideProtocol. Found in CORE_DXE.

It exists in my bios, so why I get this message from clover PlatformDriverOverrideProtocol not found. Installing ... Success ?

Just want to understand.

Fred

Clover did not find the protocol with those code

Status = gBS->LocateProtocol(&gEfiPlatformDriverOverrideProtocolGuid, NULL, (VOID **) &PlatformDriverOverride);
  if (EFI_ERROR(Status)) {
    DBG("PlatformDriverOverrideProtocol not found. Installing ... ");

The Guid is the same

## Include/Protocol/PlatformDriverOverride.h

gEfiPlatformDriverOverrideProtocolGuid = { 0x6b30c738, 0xa391, 0x11d4, {0x9a, 0x3b, 0x00, 0x90, 0x27, 0x3f, 0xc1, 0x4d } }

But I am not sure about LittleEndian or BigEndian is your BIOS.

Hi @Needy,

I'm not sure what exactly causes the issue, maybe it's simply that I'm mistaking but I've been trying to test macOS High Sierra and I've been installing it with different settings on different hard drives with different formats (APFS,HFS)

And I have several boot entries.

It's not big deal for me because I can simply remove them I just wanted to make sure that it's not a bug.

As long as it is a single incident on my end it's ok but I just wanted to see if anybody else has came across the issue or not.

I remember when this problem plagued our mainboard. I have not had this issue since updating to latest bios F21.

Hey guys,

I'm using clover 4084 and I'm getting multiple boot entries. Does anyone else have this issue?

I remember when this problem plagued our mainboard. I have not had this issue since updating to latest bios F21.

Yes, for Gigabyte Z170 motherboard it is the solution but I hate BIOS F21, I want F5.

For entries to not duplicate me and you have to delete file /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI

But sure to have /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.EFI to be in BIOS BOOT MENU

This button will help you

main2.png

Yes, for Gigabyte Z170 motherboard it is the solution but I hate BIOS F21, I want F5.

For entries to not duplicate me and you have to delete file /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI

But sure to have /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.EFI to be in BIOS BOOT MENU

This button will help you

attachicon.gifmain2.png

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies but the weird thing is that the multiple boot entries is not happening to my Gaming 5 mobo it's happening to my Asus P8H77 :(