Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

We need to add fwfmask in config.plist like fwf?

Its fully up to developer, just a propose..

In SMBIOS. Please, see the screenshot below.

That will set FirmwareFeatures, not FirmwareFeaturesMask as mentioned by @Needy

In addition, I've changed the firmware-features mask value.

0xffffffff -> 0xFF1FFF3F

@Sherlocks no

no need to add

:D

• Like 1

ook... where should I add the Firmware Features Mask value...? I don't see a section for that. Maybe it's not in Clover Configurator. Cause it's probably not yet updated. But still...where should that be? Also in SMBIOS? And if so...which value should I add for the mask? Or...is this the value for the mask and I don't need to add anything for Firmware Features...? I'm confused.

ATM, I think you should use any precompile binary provided by @Needy / @Sherlocks with hardcoded fixes.. Sorry for any confusion :)

No, it's not because of you. :)) Don't worry. It's confusing cause there are two different values, apparently both important, with similar names. And I just don't know where to add them. Also, the precompiled binaries don't seem to work... I'm using the one from needy right now. And...no luck.

It worked for installation. It doesn't seem to work for booting...for some reason.

No, it's not because of you. :)) Don't worry. It's confusing cause there are two different values, apparently both important, with similar names. And I just don't know where to add them. Also, the precompiled binaries don't seem to work... I'm using the one from needy right now. And...no luck.

It worked for installation. It doesn't seem to work for booting...for some reason.

Hi arsradu,

I have succeeded to install macOS High Sierra on two different computers using the following folder: https://www.dropbox....Sierra.zip?dl=0

You can give it a try, I just removed the serial number in the SMBIO section so you can just paste your serial number inside it.

Give it a try if you like and let me know how it goes.

and here is the link for the clover installer I used:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pig74qjc8d4whjf/Clover_v2.4k_r4084.pkg.zip?dl=0

And I just don't know where to add them. Also, the precompiled binaries don't seem to work... I'm using the one from needy right now. And...no luck.

With @Needys precompiled binary / any other releases (including clover Configurator, until they take my propose) I believe you cannot set custom FirmwareFeaturesMask just yet. They already have 0xffffffff / 0xFF1FFF3F buried into binary.

With @Needys precompiled binary / any other releases (including clover Configurator, until they take my propose) I believe you cannot set custom FirmwareFeaturesMask just yet. They already have 0xffffffff / 0xFF1FFF3F buried into binary.

I see. So, in theory, it should work just by using the precompiled binaries since those values are already hardcoded. But...it doesn't. Any idea why? Did you manage to get it to boot more than once? :))

Hi arsradu,

I have succeeded to install macOS High Sierra on two different compares using the following folder: https://www.dropbox....Sierra.zip?dl=0

You can give it a try, I just removed the serial number in the SMBIO section so you can just paste your serial number inside it.

Give it a try if you like and let me know how it goes.

and here is the link for the clover installer I used:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pig74qjc8d4whjf/Clover_v2.4k_r4084.pkg.zip?dl=0

Thank you. Will try it.

• Like 1

I see. So, in theory, it should work just by using the precompiled binaries since those values are already hardcoded. But...it doesn't. Any idea why? Did you manage to get it to boot more than once? :))

Thank you. Will try it.

post-980913-0-86904100-1497172378_thumb.png

enjoy :)

and report result to me

i did update many files, lnclude various fix and smbios info

i will update source.

added

you can add FirmwareFeaturesMask in smbios in config.plist

Sherlocks RC1.zip

• Like 1

@Needy

To be more convenient, why we dont just let users to set custom FirmwareFeaturesMask from their config (or GUI?), like FirmwareFeatures? By:

- Declaring gFwFeaturesMask as global variable and set its default value as a fallback (0xFF1FFF3F).

- Get from user config (if any) & store to gFwFeaturesMask.

- Set the final gFwFeaturesMask value to NVRAM & SMBIOS type128.

Yes, @Slice was already looking into it, he added the firmware-features initially.

It seems that @Sherlocks has, already, implemented the feature.

@Sherlocks ??

Well, I think I already had that one.... Anyway, I extracted it as you said, but I got the same issue... Now I even added 0xFF1FFF3F as default Firmware Features in my config. But still no difference.

That's a weird issue.

As mentioned before, there's no need to add the 0xFF1FFF3F to your config.

The only thing that comes to mind now is that something went wrong during installation.

Could you format the high sierra partition as hfs+ and start the installer from a different version of macOS and select that partition?

Also, check for patches and kexts, keep it as clean as possible. Remove boot args like -s -x, the only boot arg you need is -v.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifscreenshot0.png

enjoy :)

and report result to me

i did update many files, lnclude various fix and smbios info

i will update source.

added

you can add FirmwareFeaturesMask in smbios in config.plist

Ok... Where did you get those values? How can I get the ones for an iMac 14,1? Do I need them with this build?

Also, what should I add for FirmwareFeaturesMask?

@needy

The installation is not a problem. I can install it and get to the desktop. But if I reboot and try to just simply boot again, it hangs. It won't go through. Also, now I've got two versions installed on the same HDD. An HFS+ version (which can be booted just fine) and an APFS version, which can't. With the exact same config/Clover everything the same.

I usually boot with no flags at all. I only added -alcbeta and -lilubeta for sound. But I tried even without them and same thing.

Ok... Where did you get those values? How can I get the ones for an iMac 14,1?

Also, what should I add for FirmwareFeaturesMask?

0xffffffff. i dont know where is value.

You need test your case

Temp using mask in GUI

Keep your mask value in Config.plist

나의 LG-F800S 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Ok... Where did you get those values? How can I get the ones for an iMac 14,1? Do I need them with this build?

Also, what should I add for FirmwareFeaturesMask?

@needy

The installation is not a problem. I can install it and get to the desktop. But if I reboot and try to just simply boot again, it hangs. It won't go through. Also, now I've got two versions installed on the same HDD. An HFS+ version (which can be booted just fine) and an APFS version, which can't. With the exact same config/Clover everything the same.

I usually boot with no flags at all. I only added -alcbeta and -lilubeta for sound. But I tried even without them and same thing.

The issue is not in those values or clover, otherwise you would not be able to start even the installer.

As you mentioned the issue is in the apfs driver, it's not working properly with the HDD.

Stick with hfs+ and wait for a more stable version of apfs driver or upgrade to SSD.

Best regards.

• Like 2

This is where it always gets stuck. Even with the latest Clover from above.db9223e7540f0b597a86e7ff0d50290f.jpg

In your log, can't see "arrived DSMOS"(im not remember message)

If you cant get this message, you cant boot

I think this is not clover problem.

나의 LG-F800S 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Indeed it isn't a Clover problem.

As Needy said above, this needs to be installed on an SSD (for some weird reason to me, since it did install on the HDD, as well, just can't boot after reaching the desktop the first time).

Anyway, one SSD partition and 20 minutes later, everything ok (WITH reboots) with exactly the same Clover and config as before. The only thing that's changed is the destination drive. Instead of HDD, now it's an SSD. That's all.

Thank you very much for the idea.

post-1303722-0-07812000-1497178918_thumb.png

Also this is not something you see when attempting an installation on an HDD.

post-1303722-0-87347100-1497178911_thumb.png

• Like 1

This is a good read.

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/APFS_Guide/FAQ/FAQ.html

Even though, they mention that hard disk drives are supported, I would assume they didn't test the driver properly and a future update should fix the problem, unless they drop the support.

-1-

There's something interesting though, in one of your previous pictures I saw the line "checking efi for apfs starter". Could it be the case that the apfs starter is intended for hard drives?

Perhaps it needs more research.

• Like 3

This is a good read.

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/APFS_Guide/FAQ/FAQ.html

Even though, they mention that hard disk drives are supported, I would assume they didn't test the driver properly and a future update should fix the problem, unless they drop the support.

-1-

There's something interesting though, in one of your previous pictures I saw the line "checking efi for apfs starter". Could it be the case that the apfs starter is intended for hard drives?

Perhaps it needs more research.

I don't think that apfs is in beta stages anymore. Only if there is a huge bug, there would be an update.

Apfs was available to be tested since sierra (1 year).

I don't think that apfs is in beta stages anymore. Only if there is a huge bug, there would be an update.

Apfs was available to be tested since sierra (1 year).

Well, is there any real Mac with a mechanical HDD (full mechanical, not Fusion drive) running Sierra? If not, then I don't see how they could have found this issue (assuming it's not something specific to hacks). Also, I've got a Facetime bug ever since Sierra (only in Sierra, and half fixed in High Sierra), which is still not fixed to this day. So...I wouldn't be surprised it somehow they missed this one. Again, assuming this is a real bug and not just something specific to Hacks.

Indeed it isn't a Clover problem.

As Needy said above, this needs to be installed on an SSD (for some weird reason to me, since it did install on the HDD, as well, just can't boot after reaching the desktop the first time).

Anyway, one SSD partition and 20 minutes later, everything ok (WITH reboots) with exactly the same Clover and config as before. The only thing that's changed is the destination drive. Instead of HDD, now it's an SSD. That's all.

Thank you very much for the idea.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-06-11 at 4.07.14 AM.png

Also this is not something you see when attempting an installation on an HDD.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-06-11 at 1.44.11 PM.png

On my desktop I am trying to install onto a Kingston HyperX Savage SSD and I always get the OSInstall error when booting from USB unless I run the 10.13 app from Sierra.

Havnt tried to install on mechanical yet but worth a try I guess.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well, is there any real Mac with a mechanical HDD (full mechanical, not Fusion drive) running Sierra? If not, then I don't see how they could have found this issue (assuming it's not something specific to hacks). Also, I've got a Facetime bug ever since Sierra (only in Sierra, and half fixed in High Sierra), which is still not fixed to this day. So...I wouldn't be surprised it somehow they missed this one. Again, assuming this is a real bug and not just something specific to Hacks.

There are several iMacs 21.5" and 27" from 2013 to 2015 with 2.5" hard disk drives, and they are capable of running macOS Sierra.

iMac14,1

iMac14,2

iMac14,3

Did you report it or just hope that someone else has this issue and do the job of bug reporting for you?

On my desktop I am trying to install onto a Kingston HyperX Savage SSD and I always get the OSInstall error when booting from USB unless I run the 10.13 app from Sierra.

Havnt tried to install on mechanical yet but worth a try I guess.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I tried to install macOS on a mechanical hard disk drives, and every time I tried, even though the macOS installation completed successfully I couldn't boot to macOS desktop at all.

I have to say they were not completely healthy drives but I could install previous versions of macOS and they booted successfully.