Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,818 posts in this topic

That's what I would think should happen too. Anyway, here's the output from the script. Another odd thing is that the EFI shell option has disappeared from the boot menu since I copied my custom config.plist to the HD. Otherwise, I might try to do a tutorial as @Nomad347 suggests.

I looked at your dumpvols_result.txt. Your two disks have a very simple layout. Both disks are pure GPT (no hybrid MBR/GPT partition tables like Apple's Boot Camp). Both disks have a proper GPT protection MBR containing a single EFI protection partition covering the entire disk starting from block 1. Both disks have an MBR with what I'm guessing is Clover's first stage boot code. Both disks have an EFI partition with what I'm guessing is Clover's second stage boot code in the VBR (first block of the partition). I guess the Clover MBR boot code calls the boot code in the EFI partition which then calls the boot code in one of the files in the EFI partition.

That leaves one question:

Does the Clover legacy boot code work with multiple disks that have Clover legacy boot code? It should be simple enough to verify that by looking at the Clover source code. The two boot blocks (MBR and VBR) are only 512 bytes each, so the boot code must be very small. Another way to determine this is to make the boot code slightly different on each disk (change a string) and see which gets executed. Maybe add a short message that states what code is being executed. For example, output A, B, C, D, E, or F depending on which boot code is being executed (MBR 1, VBR 1, Boot File 1, MBR 2, VBR 2, Boot File 2).

I was curious about Sherlocks comment about use Emuvariable on his SkyLake machines - thanks Rehabman - as that maybe what is keeping me from getting OS X onto my new Lenovo T460 with SkyLake. it surprised me when i got the installer booted and when into the terminal that is said NVRAM was not supported. Added EmuVariable and it is looking better.  Somehow I just thought newer UEFI machines would have a native NVRAM? my older Lenovo T420 does. thought i would put it out there to make sure this isn't a clover problem with Skylake? (using 3578) 

anyway, I am using the new SSDT Hotfix Patch method with HP probook G3 as a template. i am able to book it up in safe mode so i am making progress. now to figure out why its hanging etc.

• Like 1

Does the Clover legacy boot code work with multiple disks that have Clover legacy boot code? It should be simple enough to verify that by looking at the Clover source code. The two boot blocks (MBR and VBR) are only 512 bytes each, so the boot code must be very small. Another way to determine this is to make the boot code slightly different on each disk (change a string) and see which gets executed. Maybe add a short message that states what code is being executed. For example, output A, B, C, D, E, or F depending on which boot code is being executed (MBR 1, VBR 1, Boot File 1, MBR 2, VBR 2, Boot File 2).

Looking at various forum postings, it seems the preferred method of dealing with backups is to use the EFI partition on the primary disk as the only internal drive with boot code, and leave any other internal drives free of boot code. Bootable backups are apparently best left to external disks. However, this advice seemed primarily directed at UEFI installations, so I'm not sure if it applies to legacy Clover installs. Time Machine is also apparently an option, though I'm uncertain how usable that would really be.

Modifying Clover source code is beyond my skill level, though I do have some experience as a computer tech. I might be able to take a hex editor to the MBR, but I'm not sure what tool I'd use under OS X.

I may propose to use VoodooHDA.

CodecID can't be faked.

@Slice. my laptop needs EmuVariableUefi-64.efi with RC Script to work nvram. Also if dont have EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, very slow booting and sometime not success boot

Can clover support native nvram like older UEFI?

Before new laptop, i use Acer skylake laptop. It didnt need EmuVariableUefi-64.efi with RC Script to work nvram.

But LG laptop need it. Both difference are BIOS. ACER is insydeH20. LG is Phoenix.

나의 LG-F410S 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

About NVRAM.

My comp #1, not ancient but rather old, has native NVRAM.

Other computers are legacy. Legacy Clover supported Emulated NVRAM without EmuVariableUefi.

For those who have UEFI BIOS but can't use NVRAM there was EmuVariable created by sample from legacy Clover.

Anyway Dmazar analyzed the problem and proposed some workarounds in OsxAptioFix to make native NVRAM working. They are OsxAptioFix-Test1, Test2, Test3...

No universal solution suitable for all people. Test3 was the best and accepted as main version into Clover repo. Other versions dissapeared together with projectosx.com.

AptioFix can't be universal. It is not a right driver, it is workaround for bad written UEFI BIOS. But each BIOS has own mistakes so AptioFix must be individual for each user.

For those who want to improve OsxAptioFix, welcome!

• Like 2

About NVRAM.

My comp #1, not ancient but rather old, has native NVRAM.

Other computers are legacy. Legacy Clover supported Emulated NVRAM without EmuVariableUefi.

For those who have UEFI BIOS but can't use NVRAM there was EmuVariable created by sample from legacy Clover.

Anyway Dmazar analyzed the problem and proposed some workarounds in OsxAptioFix to make native NVRAM working. They are OsxAptioFix-Test1, Test2, Test3...

No universal solution suitable for all people. Test3 was the best and accepted as main version into Clover repo. Other versions dissapeared together with projectosx.com.

AptioFix can't be universal. It is not a right driver, it is workaround for bad written UEFI BIOS. But each BIOS has own mistakes so AptioFix must be individual for each user.

For those who want to improve OsxAptioFix, welcome!

i tried xml change and node research to fix this issue during 2 days. but still no lucky 

i'm sure that my laptop have NVRAM problem.

this related sound sync issue. nvram isnt work properly about volume size. keep hold volume max happens when booting or wake up or unplug hp.

i have to choice applehda with bug or VoodooHDA

thank you info.

Guys, is there a problem booting Sierra DP2 using Clover 3577? Looks like it gets stuck again at sound assertion. Any idea? It worked perfectly with DP1 and the same version of Clover. FakeSMC kext is also identical (version 6.20.1410). Not sure what changed.

Guys, is there a problem booting Sierra DP2 using Clover 3577? Looks like it gets stuck again at sound assertion. Any idea? It worked perfectly with DP1 and the same version of Clover. FakeSMC kext is also identical (version 6.20.1410). Not sure what changed.

Upload kernel dp2. I will check

Can you booting DP2 like DP1?

No,... :(
Clover does not seem to inject kext
It seems something in the kernel has changed

I'm looking  now ...

b0pY0T1.jpg

later, I have black screen 

• Like 1

I'm testing the mac OS 10.12 DP1. The installation was easy and trouble free. I multiboot with Clover / UEFI 10.8, 10:11 and 10:12 now. A problem arose only with 10.11.5 and 10:12 DP1: When sleeps it reboot and when shutdown too; when returns arises KP message in two systems.

Without having made ​​any changes in the BIOS nor the Kext that run on Clover, previously did not have this KP at 10:11. In 10.8 all normal. The images are not being created. The vm folder is empty both 10.11.5 and 10:12 DP1. The hibernation restarted and failed to create new images.

What could be happening?
Thank you!

PS. This log is generated in Clover.

debug.log.zip

• Like 1

Different method from r3585 by Slice for 10.12 (16A239j), please compare

Sadly, it didn't make any difference to me. But shouldn't it be CLOVERX64.efi instead of BOOTX64.efi? I left both inside the Clover folder since I wasn't sure if I should remove anything or not. Could you please, advise?

But shouldn't it be CLOVERX64.efi instead of BOOTX64.efi? I left both inside the Clover folder since I wasn't sure if I should remove anything or not. Could you please, advise?

Two boot options:

1)

EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi is the default booter in an EFI partition which is automatically detected by BIOS.

2)

It may be better to add a boot option using something like EasyUEFI that points directly to EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi or EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi (the default boot options point to the partition - they don't include a file path). I would choose CLOVERX64.efi since the name tells you that it is Clover.

Either will boot Clover (they have the same contents), but the 2nd option can stop some implementations of BIOS from adding duplicate boot entries every time you boot Clover.

You only need to keep one of them. You could move the others to another folder for safe keeping if you want to revert later. The installer will install all the versions the next time you update though.