Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Will I be able to install the El Capitan? Try to have to install it, come to a white screen and colorful cursor.

That is another story. Make sure you correctly make a bootable USB drive of El Capitan.

Here is an older tutorial on how to do that for Yosemite. The principle is the same for El Capitan, as well. The UI might be a bit different since El Capitan comes with a new Disk Utility app. See if it helps.

Also, assuming you did it right, make sure you have FakeSMC.kext (and other 3rd party kexts, if you need any) in Clover/kext/10.11 on your USB drive's EFI partition. Yes, that one needs to be formatted as GUID as well.

I might write another tutorial on that, on a separate thread, if there isn't one already published, since this doesn't have anything to do with Clover.

That is another story. Make sure you correctly make a bootable USB drive of El Capitan.

Here is an older tutorial on how to do that for Yosemite. The principle is the same for El Capitan, as well. The UI might be a bit different since El Capitan comes with a new Disk Utility app. See if it helps.

Also, assuming you did it right, make sure you have FakeSMC.kext (and other 3rd party kexts, if you need any) in Clover/kext/10.11 on your USB drive's EFI partition. Yes, that one needs to be formatted as GUID as well.

I might write another tutorial on that, on a separate thread, if there isn't one already published, since this doesn't have anything to do with Clover.

Ok, thanks. I already do that, how it explain on this tutorial, but i can't install. I have FakeSMC and other kext in Clover/kext/10.11, i have config.plist, but nothing..

Ok, thanks. I already do that, how it explain on this tutorial, but i can't install. I have FakeSMC and other kext in Clover/kext/10.11, i have config.plist, but nothing..

Run diskutil list, with your USB drive plugged in and post the output please.

Also take a screenshot of the Clover Customize window to see what did you select in there. Last time I remember, something was really wrong in there.

Also, I wonder how did you get El Capitan installed in the first place, if you can't boot off the USB drive?

Run diskutil list, with your USB drive plugged in and post the output please.

Also take a screenshot of the Clover Customize window to see what did you select in there. Last time I remember, something was really wrong in there.

Also, I wonder how did you get El Capitan installed in the first place, if you can't boot off the USB drive?

OK, i doing that everything, when i come home and installing os x. I erase hdd.

I try to boot El Capitan from USB drive, no from application..

Also, I'm not sure Windows 7 can run off a GPT formatted drive... Never tried it before. I think Windows 8 can (and probably newer versions too). But I'm not sure about older versions. Sorry, can't help you there.

Windows 7 64 Bits can. The only thing to take care of is to boot the installer in UEFI mode. Furthermore, Windows and OS X can be installed on the same drive. Not a problem at all as long as they're both installed on a GUID partition scheme (the same is possible with MBR partition scheme but that's another story and He does want an ESP anyway).

@Iwanche

I would recommend reading this (thanks to Fusion71au) to prepare a Windows USB stick installer. Actually, in my experience I found out that installing OS X first is better because the ESP created is about 200 Mb where the Windows own ESP (created during the install process) is about 100 MB which OS X does not like. I read somewhere that it could be a problem :unsure:.

Lastly, if you're installing both OS X and Windows on the same drive, you should leave blank the partition you want to install Windows onto. Formating it in MS-DOS (FAT32) could break the "pure" GPT partition scheme and end up with a "Found valid GPT with hybrid MBR; using GPT." instead of "Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT"

There's a great guide here at IM that you should read. It's meant for Dual booting Windows UEFI and OS X for Legacy Bios but works fine with UEFI Bios as well.

• Like 4

I have one HDD for both system, OSX and Windows 7-64 UEFI.

For WIndows installation I was booting by Clover. So for Windows it is UEFI install while the computer is very old legacy computer #4 in my sig.

The HDD was partitioned by OSX installation -> Disk Utility. It can correctly partitioning into GPT with EFI System Partition.

The result is here

/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *250.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows                 46.0 GB    disk0s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS MacHD                   113.6 GB   disk0s3
   4:         Microsoft Reserved                         133.2 MB   disk0s4
   5:       Microsoft Basic Data Data                    90.0 GB    disk0s5

I have one HDD for both system, OSX and Windows 7-64 UEFI.

For WIndows installation I was booting by Clover. So for Windows it is UEFI install while the computer is very old legacy computer #4 in my sig.

The HDD was partitioned by OSX installation -> Disk Utility. It can correctly partitioning into GPT with EFI System Partition.

The result is here

/dev/disk0
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *250.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows                 46.0 GB    disk0s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS MacHD                   113.6 GB   disk0s3
   4:         Microsoft Reserved                         133.2 MB   disk0s4
   5:       Microsoft Basic Data Data                    90.0 GB    disk0s5

When I worked partition on the HDD, i'll have three partitions, two for os x and windows, and one for storage, whether to the first partition formatted in the Mac OS X journalised, and the other two to leave free?

Here's mine on a Legacy Bios Dell D830 :

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk1
   1:           Windows Recovery                         471.9 MB   disk1s1
   2:                        EFI NO NAME                 104.9 MB   disk1s2
   3:         Microsoft Reserved                         16.8 MB    disk1s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows 10              156.7 GB   disk1s4
   5:       Microsoft Basic Data Stockage                104.9 GB   disk1s5
   6:                        EFI NO NAME                 200.3 MB   disk1s6
   7:           Linux Filesystem                         30.0 GB    disk1s7
   8:                 Linux Swap                         4.0 GB     disk1s8
   9:                  Apple_HFS Time Machine            157.3 GB   disk1s9
  10:                  Apple_HFS Yosemite                45.8 GB    disk1s10
  11:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s11

Windows was installed first. Clover is installed on a separate drive as you can see here :

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *256.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            129.5 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data Data                    125.7 GB   disk0s4

EFI disk1s1 is where it's installed and Clover is the boot manager for all of them.

certainly off topic ... sorry...

@Iwanche 

a good/better tool for to use and learn may be gpt vs diskutil.  it will show used space and free space available. so run gpt to see if there is room to add the EFI partition on your disk without destroying the other partitions.  you will need about 200 MB which is about 409600 blocks. if there is space enough, gpt can add a partition. personally, i cant see how installing windows could remove EFI. but somehow you have GTP disk without an EFI partition. its best to have EFI first so gdisk can help you reorder the partitions. if this all too complicated for you. then as slice said: start over and build a proper GTP disk with EFI.  

here is another example of a dual boot layout. In this case there are OS X and Windows. the Recovery HD is made by the OS X installation and Windows Recovery was made by the Windows installation. 

one can format the disk with disk utility as GPT with just 2 main partitions for the OSes (and let the installers make the recovery partitions automatically)

1) ~700 GB for OS X

2) ~50  free space - which later you can format this partition to NTFS when you run the (UEFI) Windows installer. (i do this so OS X Disk Utility doesn't put an MBR vs PMBR - which is ok for bootcamp but not so good for UEFI )

$ diskutil list disk1

/dev/disk1 (external, physical):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *750.2 GB   disk1

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1

2:                  Apple_HFS OSX-                    697.7 GB   disk1s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s3

4:       Microsoft Basic Data C                       51.1 GB    disk1s4

5:           Windows Recovery                         471.9 MB   disk1s5

$ sudo gpt -r show disk1

start        size  index  contents

0           1         PMBR

1           1         Pri GPT header

2          32         Pri GPT table

34           6         

40      409600      1  GPT part - C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B

409640  1362786480      2  GPT part - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC

1363196120     1269544      3  GPT part - 426F6F74-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC

1364465664    99760128      4  GPT part - EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7

1464225792      921600      5  GPT part - DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC

1465147392        1743         

1465149135          32         Sec GPT table

1465149167           1         Sec GPT header

• Like 2

Create a custom entry for type Other, then set Hide to Always

I put this under GUI, but it didn't work. I'm probably doing something wrong.

<key>Custom</key>
<dict>
<key>Entries</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Hidden</key>
<string>Always</string>
<key>Type</key>
<string>Other</string>
</dict>
</array>
</dict>

BTW, why is this not hidden by default? 

How do I hide the "boot clover from EFI" entry?

I can't hide the whole EFI because I'm dual booting with Windows.

Look your boot.log and suppose what to hide.

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 21.39.05.png

Check the post again, there are some more (minor) edits to the patch. I also attached a package if anyone wants to test.

It seems nobody wants to test so I'll commit as is hoping in future it may be corrected if any problem. Rev. 3281

• Like 1

It seems nobody wants to test so I'll commit as is hoping in future it may be corrected if any problem. Rev. 3281

Clover r3281 test results for El Capitan:

3rd party kexts in:

EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other - PASSED

EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 - PASSED

EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 (just out of curiosity) - PASSED (doesn't boot) I suppose this is the normal behavior for this case. Couldn't test Yosemite, since I don't have it anymore.

All folders in place, nothing removed

3rd party kexts in:

EFI/CLOVER/OEM/SystemProductName/kexts/Other - FAILED (can't boot)

EFI/CLOVER/OEM/SystemProductName/kexts/10.11 (created it since it wasn't already present) - FAILED (can't boot)

Maybe I didn't understand how the OEM folder is supposed to work. Also, I don't quite understand what's its purpose in the first place. But if it's supposed to work the same way the main "kexts" folder works, well, it doesn't.

Also, I'm confused. Why are there so many locations with "kexts" folders?

So far, I found 3:

1. Clover/kexts
  2. Clover/OEM/SystemProductName/kexts
  3. Clover/OEM/UEFI/kexts

Do we need all of them...? Just asking. Not judging or anything. But I'm just curious. Do we need all of these? Does anyone actually use the last two in the list? I never used them, but maybe some other people did.

• Like 1

Maybe I didn't understand how the OEM folder is supposed to work. Also, I don't quite understand what's its purpose in the first place. But if it's supposed to work the same way the main "kexts" folder works, well, it doesn't.

I use it to boot different systems with one USB stick.

You have to create folders that match what Clover detected on boot. You can see that using Options menu > SMBios and read the first 2 lines or use bdmesg :

6:480  0:000  Clover revision: 3259  running on Latitude D830
6:480  0:000  ... with board 0HN338

From my Dell laptop

0:100  0:000  Clover revision: 3259  running on H97-HD3
0:100  0:000  ... with board H97-HD3

From my Gigabyte mobo

So all you have to do next is to create two folders like this "Latitude D830" and "H97-HD3" with similar structure as found in SystemProductName with individual config.plist, DSDT/SSDT and kexts in 10.x folders. You can of course have plenty of folder for each system (limitless ?). Got one with up to 10 folders :D.

Very useful to boot one OS X installer on different systems without the need to configure again and again Clover's main structure. Very useful too to make an emergency USB pen ;).

So thanks to Slice and all Clover's contributors to have make such a very smart feature ! Please don't remove it :D !

• Like 1

I put this under GUI, but it didn't work. I'm probably doing something wrong.

<key>Custom</key>
<dict>
<key>Entries</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Hidden</key>
<string>Always</string>
<key>Type</key>
<string>Other</string>
</dict>
</array>
</dict>

BTW, why is this not hidden by default? 

@Dr Hurt,

I think your entry is missing the "FullTitle" name eg I use the following in GUI section/config.plist to hide "UEFI Internal".....

<key>Custom</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Entries</key>
            <array>
                <dict>
                    <key>Disabled</key>
                    <false/>
                    <key>FullTitle</key>
                    <string>UEFI Internal</string>
                    <key>Hidden</key>
                    <true/>
                    <key>Ignore</key>
                    <false/>
                    <key>InjectKexts</key>
                    <false/>
                    <key>NoCaches</key>
                    <false/>
                    <key>Type</key>
                    <string>Other</string>
                </dict>
            </array>
        <dict>

@arsradu,

Check your boot log for the exact name of your motherboard or system product name found by Clover.  My guess would be B85-HD3 going by your sig :) ---> rename the folder "SystemProductName" to B85-HD3 and replace the config.plist, DSDT/SSDT and kexts etc with the ones you were using before in the corresponding sub folders.

• Like 1

I use it to boot different systems with one USB stick.

You have to create folders that match what Clover detected on boot. You can see that using Options menu > SMBios and read the first 2 lines or use bdmesg :

6:480  0:000  Clover revision: 3259  running on Latitude D830
6:480  0:000  ... with board 0HN338

From my Dell laptop

0:100  0:000  Clover revision: 3259  running on H97-HD3
0:100  0:000  ... with board H97-HD3

From my Gigabyte mobo

So all you have to do next is to create two folders like this "Latitude D830" and "H97-HD3" with similar structure as found in SystemProductName with individual config.plist, DSDT/SSDT and kexts in 10.x folders. You can of course have plenty of folder for each system (limitless ?). Got one with up to 10 folders :D.

Very useful to boot one OS X installer on different systems without the need to configure again and again Clover's main structure. Very useful too to make an emergency USB pen ;).

So thanks to Slice and all Clover's contributors to have make such a very smart feature ! Please don't remove it :D !

:) Thanks, man! Can you try that? You seem to have a lot more experience with that part than I do. :)) Also I think you might have the needed hardware for that. I only got my PC. No laptop, no secondary desktop. I tested the main part and that was ok. But still I'm not 100% sure I completely digested what you said above. :))

So...can you test that part? I can provide you the installer, if you haven't already built one. Or someone else here can post it.

Clover r3281 test results for El Capitan:

3rd party kexts in:

EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other - PASSED

EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 - PASSED

EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 (just out of curiosity) - PASSED (doesn't boot) I suppose this is the normal behavior for this case. Couldn't test Yosemite, since I don't have it anymore.

All folders in place, nothing removed

3rd party kexts in:

EFI/CLOVER/OEM/SystemProductName/kexts/Other - FAILED (can't boot)

EFI/CLOVER/OEM/SystemProductName/kexts/10.11 (created it since it wasn't already present) - FAILED (can't boot)

So far, I found 3:

1. Clover/kexts
  3. Clover/OEM/UEFI/kexts

Do we need all of them...? Just asking. Not judging or anything. But I'm just curious. Do we need all of these? Does anyone actually use the last two in the list? I never used them, but maybe some other people did.

Never used...

But its a great way, if you have OS X on USB... so you can use your thumb drive on different systems to boot OS X :-)

Nice Slice, now we don't need duplicated Kexts anymore :-))

Well I could but I'm not sure this will be a very helpful test.

If the purpose is to check that this new version is able to boot anything from /EFI/CLOVER/OEM/xxxx/kexts/Other… why not !

But until now, I never used it and never need to use it that way since everything boots fine from /EFI/CLOVER/OEM/"whatever my system is"/kexts/10.x

But OK, send me the files and I'll test it ASAP.

Well I could but I'm not sure this will be a very helpful test.

If the purpose is to check that this new version is able to boot anything from /EFI/CLOVER/OEM/xxxx/kexts/Other… why not !

But until now, I never used it and never need to use it that way since everything boots fine from /EFI/CLOVER/OEM/"whatever my system is"/kexts/10.x

But OK, send me the files and I'll test it ASAP.

Sent. Enjoy! :D And thank you.

So far, I found 3:

1. Clover/kexts
  3. Clover/OEM/UEFI/kexts

The answer is in my previous post ;).

Basically, OEM folder is not needed if you're using Clover to boot one PC.

OEM folder is meant for multi configurations support AFAIK, thus they need specific folders.

Obviously, UEFI/kexts is for UEFI install only but work fine with kexts in Clover/OEM/SystemProductName/kexts as well.

The answer is in my previous post ;).

Basically, OEM folder is not needed if you're using Clover to boot one PC.

OEM folder is meant for multi configurations support AFAIK, thus they need specific folders.

Obviously, UEFI/kexts is for UEFI install only but work fine with kexts in Clover/OEM/SystemProductName/kexts as well.

Ok, but can't we use UEFI install only and kexts in Clover/kexts (on 1 PC)? I'm using Clover in UEFI mode (still not "UEFI only") and I have no issues using Clover/kexts for my kexts. I'm just saying...this is a bit confusing. I mean, if it's not necessary to be like this (although I assume there was an initial reason for implementing it this way in the first place), then maybe it would be better to have everything in one place...? Just saying.

Can't the main Clover/kexts location handle multiple systems, for example? Do we need separate folders for that? Don't get me wrong. I like order. I think that keeping things  properly organized plays an important role in a good overall system functionality. But, when you have so many similar features, it starts to become confusing. Not to mention harder to manage/debug/improve.

SystemProductName needs to be replaced with the actual name of your motherboard/system (according to what Clover sees in DMI, you can see it in debug.log/bdmesg).

• Like 1

One way could be to choose to install or not that OEM folder directly in Clover.pkg installer.

It would be less confusing and it also could be an option for every non essentials features like ROM, tools, doc (I mean who already read it ? Seriously :D)…

But IMO, this is a problem with the installer, not Clover in general. The point is that some advanced users really like and need those features and others just don't care. I think having the choice is best than having someone choose for ourselves what is good and what is not.

Since people usually don't play with things they have no idea what's they're meant for, I'd say… well there's no problem :D.

Oh, I almost forgot :

• EFI/CLOVER/OEM/Latitude D830/kexts/Other - PASSED on Dell D830

• EFI/CLOVER/OEM/H97-HD3/kexts/Other - PASSED on H97-HD3

• EFI/CLOVER/OEM/H97-HD3/kexts/UEFI/Other - PASSED on H97-HD3 - NOT SURE about this one since I have no clue on what Clover choose to use to boot

So I guess it's OK for EFI/CLOVER/OEM/SystemProductName/kexts/Other folder :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 2

Hi Slice 

Strange probleme here I compile 3281 but

I have error CONF_PATH unbon variable

see here

132.png

The package is create good 

I install on El Capitan and Yosemite

3312.png

But in the boot screen its 3280 :blush:

2213.png

See clover panel is 3281