Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Is there such rootless=0 flag in yosemite? Afaik, there is only kext-dev-mode. Correct me if im wrong. Maybe im missing out something in here.

Thanks

Yes, it present in XNU sources as I paste.

http://opensource.apple.com/release/os-x-10101/

Slice, could you explain...

+			<string>bootmgfw.efi</string>

...related to?

Hide extra icon to boot Windows from Clover GUI.

• Like 1

Hi Sergey please explain me why this string

It is also necessary to yose?

<key>RtVariables</key>
    <dict>
        <key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
        <string>0x67</string>
        <key>BooterConfig</key>
        <string>0x28</string>
    </dict>

<key>RtVariables</key>
    <dict>
        <string>0x67</string>
        <key>BooterConfig</key>
        <string>0x28</string>
    </dict>

it is?? i dont think so.

• Like 1

<key>RtVariables</key>
    <dict>
        <string>0x67</string>
        <key>BooterConfig</key>
        <string>0x28</string>
    </dict>

I think Yose is not necessary itself.  ;)

• Like 2

I doubt that I will be able to write that code due to real life things atm, but if anyone is interested: From what I can see you would need to iterate through the plist at __PRELINK_INFO:__info and search for the highest memory address used by a kext, append its size and align it to the usual page align. At the resulting address, the kext binary would need to be appended. Then some properties of Info.plist (check which are already present for other kexts) are to be added to the prelink plist, in addition to the _Prelink information such as the load address and more.

Now I don't know where kext personality data are stored in the prelinkedkernel, they don't seem to be in the plist. Is there maybe a bplist section around?

• Like 3

@ slice

post 7244 how can I fix thanks

Fabio

post #7243 now ;)

The error ‘Couldn’t get file info’ comes from boot.efi not from Clover or dmazar’s OSXAptioFixDrv

$ grep -r "Couldn't get file info" /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi 
Binary file /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi matches

Maybe a problem with the kernel? or prelinkedkernel? not sure. 
What happens when booting without OSXAptiofixDrv? Do you get the same error?
  • Like 1

I saw this in source:

// CsrActiveConfig
      Prop = GetProperty (DictPointer, "CsrActiveConfig");
      gSettings.CsrActiveConfig = (UINT32)GetPropertyInteger (Prop, 0x67); //the value 0xFFFF means not set

//BooterConfig
      Prop = GetProperty (DictPointer, "BooterConfig");
      gSettings.BooterConfig = (UINT16)GetPropertyInteger (Prop, 0xFFFF); //the value 0xFFFF means not set

So without manual CsrActiveConfig, Clover will set it to 0x67 and allow kexts to be put in /S/L/E?

I just test with DP5. After install the latest Clover and remove rootless=0, I can still install/remove kexts in /S/L/E, and those kexts are still loaded.

What is the point of putting kexts in /L/E

post #7243 now ;)

The error ‘Couldn’t get file info’ comes from boot.efi not from Clover or dmazar’s OSXAptioFixDrv

$ grep -r "Couldn't get file info" /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi 
Binary file /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi matches

Maybe a problem with the kernel? or prelinkedkernel? not sure. 
What happens when booting without OSXAptiofixDrv? Do you get the same error?

It only happens when I use DumpUefiCalls.efi, eliminating DumpUefiCalls.efi to boot no problem

Fabio

I saw this in source:

// CsrActiveConfig      Prop = GetProperty (DictPointer, "CsrActiveConfig");      gSettings.CsrActiveConfig = (UINT32)GetPropertyInteger (Prop, 0x67); //the value 0xFFFF means not set      //BooterConfig      Prop = GetProperty (DictPointer, "BooterConfig");      gSettings.BooterConfig = (UINT16)GetPropertyInteger (Prop, 0xFFFF); //the value 0xFFFF means not set
So without manual CsrActiveConfig, Clover will set it to 0x67 and allow kexts to be put in /S/L/E?

That is wrong, IMHO, because that makes Clover less secure. Default should be 0 or perhaps only allow unsigned kexts.

• Like 3

Its where apple wants you to put 3rd party kexts. Stay out of SLE!

Can we access /L/E/ with CsrActiveConfig=0x65?

Also, /L/E is meant to store 3rd party kexts since a long time ago and people still install kexts to /S/L/E, so why we have to move back now? Because we should use CsrActiveConfig=0x65 instead of 0x67 now?

Could battle egos all day/week/year , a novel idea would be- work on the injection problem instead. I know, im a revoultionary thinker. :lol:

It has nothing to do with ego's. Really. Thing is. Apple's boot.efi boots up by default with 0x0 (more secure) and Clover with 0x67 (less secure) and that makes it less secure.
  • Like 1

I think the laughter comes from the primary real-world effect of CSR being to lock out FakeSMC unless you can get a kext signing certificate (Good luck, now!).

0x00 is mostly just CYA from Apple, to remove a potential attack vector that could hit millions of Macs.

Hopefully they'll continue to keep OS X open enough for us few hackers and our cheep x86 hardware . . .