Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Can anyone boot Windows DVD using Clover? 

"anyone" assumes except me?    #46  

0:439  0:000  ========= Auto patch DSDT Starting ========
0:439  0:000  VideoCard devID=0x104A10DE
0:439  0:000  DisplayADR1[0] = 0x10000, DisplayADR2[0] = 0x0
0:439  0:000  USBADR[0] = 0x140000 and PCIe = 0xFFFE
0:439  0:000  USBADR[1] = 0x1A0000 and PCIe = 0xFFFE
0:597  0:157  USBADR[2] = 0x1D0000 and PCIe = 0xFFFE
0:597  0:000  first CPU found at 778D offset 7790
0:597  0:000  score candidate at 7789
0:597  0:000  score inserted in acpi_cpu_score _PR_
0:597  0:000  Found ACPI CPU: CPU0 And CPU1 And CPU2 And CPU3 And CPU4 And CPU5 And CPU6 And CPU7 
  within the score: _PR_
0:597  0:000  Found PCIROOTUID = 0
0:597  0:000  ========= Auto patch DSDT Finished ========
What does this section is doing in my boot log when I am using custom dsdt? And how I can stop this?

This section presents in your boot.log. You can't stop it.

What about your question?

I also read at clover wiki that fast boot will disable spdScan but clover still does that.

Clover WIKI is open for all users for modification but I was not care about the information. Correct, please, if you find an error.

Fast Boot will not disable spdScan.

Hey guys

I accidentally installed GRUB2 (during an Ubuntu installation on another drive, /dev/sdb) on my Yosemite drive (/dev/sda), having already Clover as bootloader there (installed in the ESP). So now, in EFI, I also got a /ubuntu folder, which, on the boot drive selection screen in Clover, translates into Ubuntu being one of the items to choose from (the default one).

So...I removed (actually just moved away, as a precaution) the /ubuntu folder from there, and the item disappeared from the drive selection screen in Clover, which I think it's normal, since it falls back to the next bootable drive, which in this case is Mavericks, and Yosemite.

So now it doesn't show up in the drive selection screen anymore. And that's ok, cause I'm trying to get rid of it anyway, since installing it in the first place, was a mistake (or should I say an Ubuntu installation bug.)

Anyway, the thing that still bothers me, and I'm not really sure how to fix, is this: in the boot menu (when pressing F12 on a Gigabyte motherboard), I've still got ubuntu listed (twice, for some reason). How can I safely remove it from there?

post-1303722-0-81451200-1422222206_thumb.jpg

Hey guys

I accidentally installed GRUB2 (during an Ubuntu installation on another drive, /dev/sdb) on my Yosemite drive (/dev/sda), having already Clover as bootloader there (installed in the ESP). So now, in EFI, I also got a /ubuntu folder, which, on the boot drive selection screen in Clover, translates into Ubuntu being one of the items to choose from (the default one).

So...I removed (actually just moved away, as a precaution) the /ubuntu folder from there, and the item disappeared from the drive selection screen in Clover, which I think it's normal, since it falls back to the next bootable drive, which in this case is Mavericks, and Yosemite.

So now it doesn't show up in the drive selection screen anymore. And that's ok, cause I'm trying to get rid of it anyway, since installing it in the first place, was a mistake (or should I say an Ubuntu installation bug.)

Anyway, the thing that still bothers me, and I'm not really sure how to fix, is this: in the boot menu (when pressing F12 on a Gigabyte motherboard), I've still got ubuntu listed (twice, for some reason). How can I safely remove it from there?

attachicon.gifIMG_20150125_233852.jpg

I've teste a lots Installer and I have always full Entry on my Z87X-UD5H

My only  solutions is flashing bios

@arsradu,

Try efibootmgr utility under linux or EasyUEFI under Windows.

Good Luck!

That worked beautifully! THANK YOU!

I used the efibootmgr utility (which needs to be installed separately, but that was not a problem) and folllowed the guide. And even though, at some point, when it said that I need to use a "combination of -b and -B" to delete the ones I don't want, I was kinda like "ook, but how do I know which combination is the right one", I just replaced the item he used in his example (3), assuming that this way he was intending to remove the item 0003, with 0 for my case. And everything was ok. Then I did the same for my second case (which was 000A). So "sudo efibootmgr -b A -B". And that's it. :)

And now I also found out why there were two ubuntu items in my list. They were pointing to different efi files in the /ubuntu folder. ;)

So again, big thank you! That was a lot easier than I thought was going to be.

• Like 1

This section presents in your boot.log. You can't stop it.

What about your question?

Clover WIKI is open for all users for modification but I was not care about the information. Correct, please, if you find an error.

Fast Boot will not disable spdScan.

Thanks Slice for your info. Really like your work and appreciate it. 

I have integrated efi driver in my bios rom and it reduce clover preboot.log time from 1.7 second to .6 second. I thought I can reduce even more time by tweaking my config.plist. My bad though !!!

It is still faster than ozmosis.

Regards

"anyone" assumes except me? #46

Finally got it to work :D

Genuine Windows 8.1 DVD (using GrubUDF-64.efi)... So Joliet is not needed anymore.

Using BiosBlockIO -> No DVD detected

Using SATA -> DVD detected (but slow)

Not sure if this is a BiosBlockIO limitation?

EDIT: I think I might have found a bug.

Sometimes clover will only see \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI (and won't boot)

And sometimes it will see the entire DVD filesystem (and boots fine)

I think clover is getting confused between actual DVD and El Torito boot entry: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn387088.aspx

• Like 1

Finally got it to work :D

Genuine Windows 8.1 DVD (using GrubUDF-64.efi)... So Joliet is not needed anymore.

Using BiosBlockIO -> No DVD detected

Using SATA -> DVD detected (but slow)

Not sure if this is a BiosBlockIO limitation?

EDIT: I think I might have found a bug.

Sometimes clover will only see \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI (and won't boot)

And sometimes it will see the entire DVD filesystem (and boots fine)

I think clover is getting confused between actual DVD and El Torito boot entry: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn387088.aspx

Yes, BiosBlockIO assumes block size of 512kb and will not detect DVD with 2k size. I don't know how to overcome this limitation.

GrubUDF is not perfect but I waiting for new UDF driver that Intel propose to publish.

Yes, BiosBlockIO assumes block size of 512kb and will not detect DVD with 2k size. I don't know how to overcome this limitation.

GrubUDF is not perfect but I waiting for new UDF driver that Intel propose to publish.

Well, once again thank you very much slice :)

How to make orange icons to be metallic

If you see orange drive instead of metallic, external instead of internal, and DVD player doesn't work you may:

- use other icns file, but this doesn't solve DVD problem;

- substitute DeviceID from ICH6, but this reduce SATA functionality;

- use DeviceMergeNub, but it is additional kext;

- use patched AppleAHCIPort.kext, but until SoftwareUpdate.

It is better to write into Clover's config.plist

<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
		<key>KextsToPatch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Orange_icons_fix</string>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleAHCIPort</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>RXh0ZXJuYWw=</data>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>SW50ZXJuYWw=</data>
			</dict>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>

It works! Drives are metallic, DVD player works.

Thank you slice,it works,however it has duplicate useless </dict> in the end of file that make it doesn't work,hope you delete it.And is there a way to write to AppleAHCIPort permanent?

I'm try to understand clover config.plist,so I change it several times,after last time I change it to empty file,I get int "0eh page fault" seems like my cpu fail,I need cmos reset to let cpu work again.However I wonder why and how this happened

Thank you slice,it works,however it has duplicate useless in the end of file that make it doesn't work,hope you delete it.

Thank for pointing me to this mistake.

And is there a way to write to AppleAHCIPort permanent?

This bit is WriteOnce. BIOS set it and we can't correct back.
  • Like 2

Talk about all I know nonsense about clover

1.GPT

Some say BIOS can’t use GPT partition scheme,that’s not true,with Hybrid MBR,BIOS with clover can handle GPT
2.log,kext patch,vanilla mac function like find my mac
Only works on GPT,means OS X and Clover installer both auto create EFI partition,OS X installer auto create Recovery HD,that’s works for things I use MBR doesn’t work title mentioned
3.DSDT
Clover auto create a valid DSDT so I don’t need to create fixed DSDT like I do on chameleon
4.Overclock
Clover doesn’t overlock,But I do,always fail,that cause usb unstable and clover unstable,not software problem,hardware problem,because I can’t accept I can’t use E8400 4G all those years,I Googled use CS:GO to test stable and get cpu voltage +200mv,RAM voltage 2.1v,GTL 61 61 58,Boot Clock 220MHz,FSB 440MHz,pass CS:GO casual mode 8 rounds,with FSB 444MHz 445MHz won’t pass 8 rounds.
5.Windows
Windows 7 can not handle GPT on my 2009 computer.I also can not boot Windows 7 from USB clover,I fail with buying windows license.Windows can not do anything except game and human event,so I quite windows for a while.
6.Empty config.plist made my cpu fail
Empty config.plist won’t inject fakesmc.kext,cause this problem.
7.Clover load another partition config.plist
This is a problem made me install windows 7 and niresh 10.9 USB distro and Clover+Yosemite.Because I have only working config.plist in USB drive,SSD clover load USB config.plist because USB is before SSD.I don’t know this clover won’t let me know this,I changed config.plist,and I can’t boot anymore,so I think this is a annoying geek bug that when I remember it become a feature.
8.Instruction
I don’t see clover Instruction mention my problems,maybe I need to read instruction again.

OK, let it be again

Talk about all I know nonsense about clover

1.GPT
Some say BIOS can’t use GPT partition scheme,that’s not true,with Hybrid MBR,BIOS with clover can handle GPT
2.log,kext patch,vanilla mac function like find my mac
Only works on GPT,means OS X and Clover installer both auto create EFI partition,OS X installer auto create Recovery HD,that’s works for things I use MBR doesn’t work title mentioned
3.DSDT
Clover auto create a valid DSDT so I don’t need to create fixed DSDT like I do on chameleon
4.Overclock
Clover doesn’t overlock,But I do,always fail,that cause usb unstable and clover unstable,not software problem,hardware problem,because I can’t accept I can’t use E8400 4G all those years,I Googled use CS:GO to test stable and get cpu voltage +200mv,RAM voltage 2.1v,GTL 61 61 58,Boot Clock 220MHz,FSB 440MHz,pass CS:GO casual mode 8 rounds,with FSB 444MHz 445MHz won’t pass 8 rounds.
5.Windows
Windows 7 can not handle GPT on my 2009 computer.I also can not boot Windows 7 from USB clover,I fail with buying windows license.Windows can not do anything except game and human event,so I quite windows for a while.
6.Empty config.plist made my cpu fail
Empty config.plist won’t inject fakesmc.kext,cause this problem.
7.Clover load another partition config.plist
This is a problem made me install windows 7 and niresh 10.9 USB distro and Clover+Yosemite.Because I have only working config.plist in USB drive,SSD clover load USB config.plist because USB is before SSD.I don’t know this clover won’t let me know this,I changed config.plist,and I can’t boot anymore,so I think this is a annoying geek bug that when I remember it become a feature.
8.Instruction
I don’t see clover Instruction mention my problems,maybe I need to read instruction again.

1. BIOS if not UEFI can see only devices: HDD, USB, DVD, etc. It coughs on partition scheme GPT or MBR or anything other.

UEFI BIOS requires GPT scheme.

2. Clover installer will not create new partition.

3. At your will. You may use autopatch in Clover or you may use already patched DSDT.

4. Overclock? It is not a task for bootloader. May be you means speedstep settings generated by Clover in SSDT for P-states?

5. I started Windows 7 on my computer #4 by Clover. There are instructions in the subforum.

6. First time hear this problem. If you reported more details I will correct this.

7. It is not a bug. You can prepare different config,plists for different OEM so one USB stick will be tuned for different computers.

If you have Clover on Hard drive while you inserted USB with another clover? USB folder has a priority on hdd folder.

8. There are Clover Instructions thread here.

• Like 1

Hi Slice.

Could you help me? I am trying to speed up Clover boot time.  I really want to use Clover, and unfortunately I can only use it with Legacy Mode.  When using Chameleon to boot Yosemite, I am at the desktop in a little under 40 seconds.  If I use Clover, it can take up to 1 minute and 10 seconds, sometimes 1 minute 20 seconds.

First I had a problem which I already got help on another forum for.  My screen was scrambled (unusable) using patched kexts for Intel HD Graphics 1st generation with Clover.  Chameleon worked perfectly with the same patched kexts.  "warraysraw" was kind enough to fix my problem by explaining how I had to inject the "AAPL OS info" in Clover. 

The only thing I wish to improve is the boot time.  Any suggestion?  My config.plist has no "Log" nor "Degug" entry, which I know should be set to "No" or "False".  I am assuming that if it has no such entries, it behaves as if they are set to "No" or "False".  Am I correct?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Lenovo ideapad z460

2GB RAM

Intel Core i3 350-m

Hi Slice.

Could you help me? I am trying to speed up Clover boot time.  I really want to use Clover, and unfortunately I can only use it with Legacy Mode.  When using Chameleon to boot Yosemite, I am at the desktop in a little under 40 seconds.  If I use Clover, it can take up to 1 minute and 10 seconds, sometimes 1 minute 20 seconds.

First I had a problem which I already got help on another forum for.  My screen was scrambled (unusable) using patched kexts for Intel HD Graphics 1st generation with Clover.  Chameleon worked perfectly with the same patched kexts.  "warraysraw" was kind enough to fix my problem by explaining how I had to inject the "AAPL OS info" in Clover. 

The only thing I wish to improve is the boot time.  Any suggestion?  My config.plist has no "Log" nor "Degug" entry, which I know should be set to "No" or "False".  I am assuming that if it has no such entries, it behaves as if they are set to "No" or "False".  Am I correct?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Lenovo ideapad z460

2GB RAM

Intel Core i3 350-m

Should I copy-paste these instructions? Post#47 How to speedup Clover boot

Should I copy-paste these instructions? Post#47 How to speedup Clover boot

Hi Slice.  Thank you for answering.

I had already read that post.  As I said, my config.plist does "not" have "Log" nor "Debug" entry.  

I am using Clover_v2k_r3128, so the entry would be "Debug" according to post #47.  If I have "neither" ("Log" nor "Debug"), does Clover boot as if it was set to "False"? Or do I have to create a "Debug" entry and set it to "False"?

As far as not using VBoxHfs-64.efi:

On my desktop, I have Clover running UEFI mode.  And on this machine, I had already downloaded the HFSPlus-64.efi and replaced VBoxHfs-64.efi on "drivers64" and "drivers64UEFI" folders.

On my laptop, I had to install Clover in Legacy mode. But I also replaced the VBoxHfs-64.efi inside the same folders.

Clover is installed on the HDD EFI partition of both, the desktop and laptop. So I am not using an USB drive to boot.

I will try the other steps and review everything on my laptop.  Thanks again. 

i have upgraded to 10.10.2 on my laptop and everything seems ok. but seeing this in the log every 30 seconds.

anybody else seeing this and/or what to do about it?!  DSDT fixes might be needed?

shows up when the laptop is plugged in. if i remove the battery it still does it? thanks.

Jan 28 18:44:20 Toms-Mac.local powerd[29]: Failed to read current rating(0xe00002f0)

Jan 28 18:44:50 Toms-Mac.local powerd[29]: Failed to read current rating(0xe00002f0)

Jan 28 18:45:20 Toms-Mac.local powerd[29]: Failed to read current rating(0xe00002f0)

After installed new version my current booted revision shown different number series. What is it and how can I fix it or is this cause anything?

UPPE44u.png

Sorry, will be corrected in revision 3146+