Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Hi, how I can boot with Chameleon from Clover (main bootloader)? 

I need Chameleon for run OS X (full support for MBP 6.2) but I need Clover for run Windows and Linux in EFI mode. How I can install and boot with Chameleon "inside" Clover?

I hope that understand my question, thanks.

Regards.

I need Chameleon for run OS X (full support for MBP 6.2) but I need Clover for run Windows and Linux in EFI mode. How I can install and boot with Chameleon "inside" Clover?

Regards.

Not 100% sure, but I think this is simply not possible, esp since you need Win and Linux in EFI mode.

Regards.

Why not make it work with Clover and make permanent move to awesomeness? Changing chameleon config to clover is easy. and you can always ask for help here.

Regards.

Install CloverEFI with boot0af/ss and the "Use alternative PBR boot" option, then copy the Chameleon boot file as "boot1" in the root of Clover's target partition (Chameleon might need its "Extra" folder in that same drive, no idea). Then next boot you'll see that it will stop for 2 seconds just before Clover's GUI, and if you press "1" during that moment then Clover will load Chameleon instead of its own loader.

This will only work in a legacy setup.

Install CloverEFI with boot0af/ss and the "Use alternative PBR boot" option, then copy the Chameleon boot file as "boot1" in the root of Clover's target partition (Chameleon might need its "Extra" folder in that same drive, no idea). Then next boot you'll see that it will stop for 2 seconds just before Clover's GUI, and if you press "1" during that moment then Clover will load Chameleon instead of its own loader.

This will only work in a legacy setup.

Hi, thanks for the answers, now I can boot with Chameleon. I try this because I want know why with Clover I don't get turbo frequencies and with Chameleon I get turbo frequencies, checked with HWMonitor app (i5 520m). Using the same FakeSMC and DSDT.

Someone can give me some idea where find the problem?

Regards.

What??? Why would you need to do this? Why would you ever want to do this? Why wouldn't you just fix your config for clover?

Yeah, I want find the problem or difference between both bootloaders, only for this I used Chameleon, for make a dump and compare with the Clover dump. Was only for not install all OS's again.

The problem:

Chameleon: Turbo Frequencies

Clover: No Turbo Frequencies

getting strange issue, my hardware uuid change on every boot or reboot and sometime it does not change.

Yeah, I want find the problem or difference between both bootloaders, only for this I used Chameleon, for make a dump and compare with the Clover dump. Was only for not install all OS's again.

The problem:

What processor you are using? Did you added this?

<key>CPU</key>
<dict>
<key>Turbo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>

What is your config setting about UUID?

<dict>
		<key>CustomUUID</key>
		<string>2149432E-E079-4172-8376-XXXXXXXXXXXX</string>
		<key>InjectKexts</key>
		<string>NO</string>
		<key>InjectSystemID</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>

I have config like this no smmuid configured in smbios. 

I also noticed that when above value is used as system-id, I get my proper Hardware-UUid and SMC version is 2.8.

But when I get generic hardware-uuid like 00000000-0000-0000-0000-SD5KFJ3FJ466 or any other uuid my SMC version is 1.3 and it does not show systemid when I check it through command-line.

I am using MacMini 6,2 SMBIOS.

@slice 

i finally figured out what is causing VboxHFS.efi to list a bogus Microsoft boot option as compared to HFSPlus.efi. I recall Dr Hurt and others mentioning the same issue. 

well clover is not finding an extra bootmgfw.efi as suspected - it finds a leftover /boot file and just presents in the GUI (a no-op on click). this file is a legacy clover boot file from when I used to boot via MBR. 

@warraisraw - 

as mentioned - move to clover and be done! getting intel speed step including turbo is generally a simple matter of SSDT and using the right product/model. like mbp6,1 or mbp8,1. - the i5 520m is a pretty common CPU in the 2010/11 era.

The problem:

in addition to above suggestion... you may need to do something like this 

add to ACPI section... assuming your tables are named as such:

<key>DropTables</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>Signature</key>

<string>SSDT</string>

<key>TableId</key>

<string>Cpu0Ist</string>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>Signature</key>

<string>SSDT</string>

<key>TableId</key>

<string>CpuPm</string>

</dict>

</array>

and then use this:

<key>SSDT</key>

<dict>

<key>Generate</key>

<dict>

<key>CStates</key>

<true/>

<key>PStates</key>

<true/>

</dict>

</dict>

• Like 1

@slice 

i finally figured out what is causing VboxHFS.efi to list a bogus Microsoft boot option as compared to HFSPlus.efi. I recall Dr Hurt and others mentioning the same issue. 

well clover is not finding an extra bootmgfw.efi as suspected - it finds a leftover /boot file and just presents in the GUI (a no-op on click). this file is a legacy clover boot file from when I used to boot via MBR. 

But I don't understand. Do you propose that VboxHFS.efi found /boot at HFS+ volume? OK. Why HFSplus.efi doesn't see them?

As I see your Clover screenshot it corresponds to one of these lines of Clover codes

// Sometimes, on some systems (HP UEFI, if Win is installed first)
    // it is needed to get rid of bootmgfw.efi to allow starting of
    // Clover as /efi/boot/bootx64.efi from HD. We can do that by renaming
    // bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi
    AddLoaderEntry(L"\\EFI\\Microsoft\\Boot\\bootmgfw-orig.efi", L"", L"Microsoft EFI boot menu", Volume, NULL, OSTYPE_WINEFI, 0);
    // check for Microsoft boot loader/menu
    // If there is bootmgfw-orig.efi, then do not check for bootmgfw.efi
    // since on some systems this will actually be CloverX64.efi
    // renamed to bootmgfw.efi
    AddLoaderEntry(L"\\EFI\\Microsoft\\Boot\\bootmgfw.efi", L"", L"Microsoft EFI boot menu", Volume, NULL, OSTYPE_WINEFI, 0);
    // check for Microsoft boot loader/menu
    AddLoaderEntry(L"\\bootmgr.efi", L"", L"Microsoft EFI boot menu", Volume, NULL, OSTYPE_WINEFI, 0);
    // check for Microsoft boot loader/menu on CDROM
    AddLoaderEntry(L"\\EFI\\MICROSOFT\\BOOT\\cdboot.efi", L"", L"Microsoft EFI boot menu", Volume, NULL, OSTYPE_WINEFI, 0);

@slice -

let me restate:

when using VBoxHfs-64.efi, AND /boot is present, I get an extra (bogus) entry to Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from OSX  volume.

when using HFSplus.efi , it does not present this odd Microsoft boot entry with /boot in OSX partition.

there is no microsoft on this volume

boot disk has 3 partitions:

1) EFI

2) OSX

3) RecoveryHD

Note: and there is a DVD (2nd whole volume found in log) - not presented in GUI.

attached are the pre-boot logs and screenshots for these 2 cases:

1) no-boot-file -> means no /boot on OSX partition.

2) with-boot-file -> means there is /boot on OSX partition

of course the work around solution is to remove /boot

but VBoxHFS or Clover should not present this as a boot option either.

vboxhfs-debug.zip

How to create EFI partition on windows 7?

/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *250.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh SSD           249.2 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk1
   1:                  Apple_HFS                         209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Data                    200.0 GB   disk1s2
   3:       Microsoft Basic Data Storage                 299.8 GB   disk1s3
/dev/disk2
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *240.1 GB   disk2
   1:               Windows_NTFS System Reserved         104.9 MB   disk2s1
   2:               Windows_NTFS Windows 7 SSD           239.9 GB   disk2s2

See i don't have a EFI partition and I don't have WINDOWS folder on EFI folder on Clover.

@Slice,

I reported the same issue as Dr Hurt a few pages back post#6189.

I can confirm @tluck's finding - the cause for me was a left over Chameleon boot file (from when I used Chameleon) which created a "Bootmgr.efi" loader entry in Clover's GUI, "Boot Microsoft EFI boot" from my OSX partition when using VBoxHfs-64.efi but not HFSPlus.efi.

Deleting the Chameleon boot file in the / folder of my HFS+ partition solved the problem if using VBoxHfs-64.efi....

post-846696-0-18306400-1419361702_thumb.png

@slice -

let me restate:

when using VBoxHfs-64.efi, AND /boot is present, I get an extra (bogus) entry to Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from OSX  volume.

when using HFSplus.efi , it does not present this odd Microsoft boot entry with /boot in OSX partition.

there is no microsoft on this volume

boot disk has 3 partitions:

1) EFI

2) OSX

3) RecoveryHD

Note: and there is a DVD (2nd whole volume found in log) - not presented in GUI.

attached are the pre-boot logs and screenshots for these 2 cases:

1) no-boot-file -> means no /boot on OSX partition.

2) with-boot-file -> means there is /boot on OSX partition

of course the work around solution is to remove /boot

but VBoxHFS or Clover should not present this as a boot option either.

OK, I see what you mean.

But I see no how it will appear. 

The mistake may appear if you have SYMLINK with name /boot pointing to /EFI/Microsoft/cdboot.efi as VBoxHFS resolves symlinks while HFSplus,efi can't.

i'm trying to do a clean yosemite install on a Dell Latitude E6420.  this version has only HD3000 gfx, no discrete card.  cpu:  i5-2520M    4gb RAM, 1600X900 LCD display

i'm using clover v2890.  the boot stops early, right during or just after the FakeSMC.kext message shows on the screen (verbose boot).  then there is an immediate reboot.

attached is my dsdt (extracted with F4, cleaned, compiled), debug.log, and my config.plist.  in the config, i have tried both Graphics/Intel/True and False

thanks in advance

Ken

troubleshooting files.zip

UPDATE:  i tried an older version of clover, v2795.  it boots my rig, altho in verbose boot, there is no text shown after the first 2 lines (where the kextcache is being read).

What processor you are using? Did you added this?

<key>CPU</key>
<dict>
<key>Turbo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>

@warraisraw - 

as mentioned - move to clover and be done! getting intel speed step including turbo is generally a simple matter of SSDT and using the right product/model. like mbp6,1 or mbp8,1. - the i5 520m is a pretty common CPU in the 2010/11 era.

in addition to above suggestion... you may need to do something like this 

add to ACPI section... assuming your tables are named as such:

<key>DropTables</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>Signature</key>

<string>SSDT</string>

<key>TableId</key>

<string>Cpu0Ist</string>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>Signature</key>

<string>SSDT</string>

<key>TableId</key>

<string>CpuPm</string>

</dict>

</array>

and then use this:

<key>SSDT</key>

<dict>

<key>Generate</key>

<dict>

<key>CStates</key>

<true/>

<key>PStates</key>

<true/>

</dict>

</dict>

Hi,

I've tried changing that keys in config.plist but I get the same result, max. multiplier is 18 @ 2394 MHz. No turbo frequencies (Multiplier: 20 and 22).

<dict>
		<key>CustomUUID</key>
		<string>2149432E-E079-4172-8376-XXXXXXXXXXXX</string>
		<key>InjectKexts</key>
		<string>NO</string>
		<key>InjectSystemID</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>

I have config like this no smmuid configured in smbios. 

I also noticed that when above value is used as system-id, I get my proper Hardware-UUid and SMC version is 2.8.

But when I get generic hardware-uuid like 00000000-0000-0000-0000-SD5KFJ3FJ466 or any other uuid my SMC version is 1.3 and it does not show systemid when I check it through command-line.

I am using MacMini 6,2 SMBIOS.

But I don't understand. If you set UUID why you see different UUID at every boot?  Or after some changes, after some updates?

i'm trying to do a clean yosemite install on a Dell Latitude E6420.  this version has only HD3000 gfx, no discrete card.  cpu:  i5-2520M    4gb RAM, 1600X900 LCD display

i'm using clover v2890.  the boot stops early, right during or just after the FakeSMC.kext message shows on the screen (verbose boot).  then there is an immediate reboot.

attached is my dsdt (extracted with F4, cleaned, compiled), debug.log, and my config.plist.  in the config, i have tried both Graphics/Intel/True and False

thanks in advance

Ken

attachicon.giftroubleshooting files.zip

UPDATE:  i tried an older version of clover, v2795.  it boots my rig, altho in verbose boot, there is no text shown after the first 2 lines (where the kextcache is being read).

DSDT extracted by F4 is non-patched BIOS-DSDT. For computer to works you must patch it.

If you want Clover can do this if you set DSDT->Fixes in config.plist.

And, please, report with recent Clover. Old one has bugs.

Hi,

I've tried changing that keys in config.plist but I get the same result, max. multiplier is 18 @ 2394 MHz. No turbo frequencies (Multiplier: 20 and 22).

You should show your config.plist and the result with it: clover-boot.log and screenshots with frequencies.

1. I am loading these five kexts from CLOVER/kexts/10.10: ACPIBacklight.kext, ACPIBatteryManager.kext, FakeSMC.kext, RealtekRTL81xx.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext. Is that okay or do I have to install any of these kexts to /S/L/E? 

2. I want to install HW Sensors/HW Monitor. HW Monitor asks to install FakeSMC.kext, so what should be done when I am loading FakeSMC.kext from Clover?

1. I am loading these five kexts from CLOVER/kexts/10.10: ACPIBacklight.kext, ACPIBatteryManager.kext, FakeSMC.kext, RealtekRTL81xx.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext. Is that okay or do I have to install any of these kexts to /S/L/E? 

2. I want to install HW Sensors/HW Monitor. HW Monitor asks to install FakeSMC.kext, so what should be done when I am loading FakeSMC.kext from Clover?

You can install all your kexts to SLE or you can select only  HWMonitor to be copied to applications folder and inject all kexts from Clover which is what am i doing and my preferred way.