Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

I updated from 2657 to 2669 today and now my mavericks volume wasn't showing in the clover gui.  

In my config.plist I have this to hide the EFI partition:

<key>Hide</key>
<array>
<string>EFI</string>
</array>

Since installing rev 2669 it is also hiding my mavericks volume. Is this a bug?  If not, is there a better way to hide my EFI parition?

I saw this in the preboot.log which is how I knew the Hide setting was hiding my mavericks volume:

14:052  0:000  Scanning loaders...
14:052  0:000   0: 'Whole Disc Boot' no file system
14:052  0:000   1: 'Whole Disc Boot' no file system
14:052  0:000   2: 'Whole Disc Boot' no file system
14:052  0:000   3: 'Whole Disc Boot' no file system
14:052  0:000   4: 'Legacy HD1' no file system
14:052  0:000   5: 'Legacy HD2' no file system
14:052  0:000   6: 'Legacy HD3' no file system
14:052  0:000   7: 'EFI' hidden
14:052  0:000   8: 'Macintosh HD'
14:097  0:045    hiding entry: \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
14:211  0:114   9: 'Recovery HD'
14:241  0:030    hiding entry: \com.apple.recovery.boot\boot.efi
14:260  0:018  10: 'EFI' hidden
14:260  0:000  11: 'Storage'
14:282  0:021  12: 'Legacy HD3' no file system
14:282  0:000  13: 'Boot OS X'

I updated from 2657 to 2669 today and now my mavericks volume wasn't showing in the clover gui.  

Hide
EFI

Since installing rev 2669 it is also hiding my mavericks volume. Is this a bug?  If not, is there a better way to hide my EFI parition?

I saw this in the preboot.log which is how I knew the Hide setting was hiding my mavericks volume:

14:052  0:000  Scanning loaders...
14:052  0:000   0: 'Whole Disc Boot' no file system
14:052  0:000   1: 'Whole Disc Boot' no file system
14:052  0:000   2: 'Whole Disc Boot' no file system
14:052  0:000   3: 'Whole Disc Boot' no file system
14:052  0:000   4: 'Legacy HD1' no file system
14:052  0:000   5: 'Legacy HD2' no file system
14:052  0:000   6: 'Legacy HD3' no file system

:)

It is not a bug. It is too powerful feature "hide all entry that contains a string xxxx"

For hiding EFI volume you should decide what namely you want to hide from CloverGUI. May be all legacy entries?

May be BOOTX64?

Or you want to hide EFI partition from OS desktop? This is quite another task.

Screen Shot 2014-05-15 at 10.05.36.png

CustomUUID=same as you see in SystemProfiler

InjectSystemID=false

Namely

<key>SystemParameters</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CustomUUID</key>
		<string>511CE200-1000-4000-9999-010203040506</string>
		<key>InjectSystemID</key>
		<false/>

@slice, before I ask my question - thank you for all the work you have done on this!

I have just found this post after searching - I want to do exactly the same thing - I want to retain the same hardware ID when I rebuild my computer (which I do fairly regularly) 

I opened my config.plist and edited as per the instructions you gave above (using my own hardware ID obtained from my System Information/Hardware Overview) but when I reboot I see that a different Hardware ID is showing in Hardware Overview (I suspect automatically generated) - is there something which could be overiding this section of the config.plist? 

edited to add

I see after I reboot that the two lines I had added after the Custom UUID string have disappeared - is this normal behaviour?

the lines are

<key>InjectSystemID</key>

<false/>

Hi Slice. I recently build a new PC with a MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate mb and i5-4670K. I installed Mavericks without patch my Bios with pmpatch. Instead I set AsusAICPUPM option of Clover to yes. I also found  a similar KernelPm option, what`s the difference between these two options? Unlock msr or mars? Pmpatch unlocks msr just like AsusAICPUPM but what about KernelPm?

<key>Hide</key>
<array>
<string>EFI</string>
</array>

Clover is hiding the OSX partition because of the loader's name: boot.efi. You should instead hide partitions by GUID.

• Like 1

Hi Slice. I recently build a new PC with a MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate mb and i5-4670K. I installed Mavericks without patch my Bios with pmpatch. Instead I set AsusAICPUPM option of Clover to yes. I also found  a similar KernelPm option, what`s the difference between these two options? Unlock msr or mars? Pmpatch unlocks msr just like AsusAICPUPM but what about KernelPm?

There are the same patch to provide "do not lock MSR 0xE2". But in different places:

1. in BIOS, the best way but non-reversible. It is dangerous for errors.

2. In AppleCPUPM.kext if used.

3. In mach_kernel. It is for 10.9+ and CPU Haswell.

So it will be good enough to patch everywhere.

How is it possible then two lines disappeared?

EDITED 

OK I removed that hard drive and connected another one with Mavericks and Clover v2k_r2671 also has Clover Configurator - however on this drive no problem with disappearing lines :-) so that is progress. It was clean install of Mavericks 10.9.2 with Clover v2k_r2652 which has then been upgraded today to Clover v2k_r2671. So ignore the disappearing lines - whatever caused that is not affecting this drive.

but

although the Custom UUID I want is in the System Parameters section of the config.plist I still don't get that UUID as the Hardware UUID in System Profile. What could cause that?

although the Custom UUID I want is in the System Parameters section of the config.plist I still don't get that UUID as the Hardware UUID in System Profile. What could cause that?

It works here for me. Maybe you have an error in your config.plist? Try editing it with plisteditpro or post it here for checking.

By the way. Is AsusAiCPUPM needed in an installation on non Asus motherboards ?

I always deselect it.

Anyway I successfully created a boot stick to install Mavericks on a Dell Inspiron 1720 (ICH8) and installed fine, but I have freezing problems and it doesn't see my Atheros WiFi car which works natively under Leopard.

It works here for me. Maybe you have an error in your config.plist? Try editing it with plisteditpro or post it here for checking.

blackosx, hello thanks for replying I remember talking to you a long time ago, probably around 2007 when I first started playing with osx86. I am now trying Clover but am a complete newb at it so have probably missed something or misunderstood something.

I tried editing with plistedit pro but it still won't work for me - am attaching my config.plist in a zip file. Also a screenshot of what I see in Hardware Overview after rebooting with that plist.

As you can see the Hardware UUID does not match the one in the config.plist

edited

had a problem with uploading the plist in zip file - will try adding it in a separate post

blackosx, hello thanks for replying I remember talking to you a long time ago, probably around 2007 when I first started playing with osx86. I am now trying Clover but am a complete newb at it so have probably missed something or misunderstood something.

I tried editing with plistedit pro but it still won't work for me - am attaching my config.plist in a zip file. Also a screenshot of what I see in Hardware Overview after rebooting with that plist.

As you can see the Hardware UUID does not match the one in the config.plist

edited

had a problem with uploading the plist in zip file - will try adding it in a separate post

here is the config.plist in a zip file

OK just discovered something - I removed the Custom UUID and InjectSystemID from the the config.plist - rebooted and discovered that the hardware UUID I wanted is now showing in the Hardware overview. Is this the way its supposed to work? You add the Custom UUID, reboot and then remove it and reboot again.

post-1002312-0-97569600-1400238620_thumb.png

config.plist.zip

post-1002312-0-77743000-1400241176_thumb.png

Yes - I do remember your avatar but not the username but then I see you must have re-registered in 2012? Anyway - hi :)

Good to see you now have it working. That's correct in that the value you give CustomUUID in to the config.plist is what you should be seeing as the Hardware UUID. I would have thought the process would work first time, rather than you having to add it, remove it and re-add it.

I don't think the boot log shows any mention of CustomUUID being set, as otherwise you could have checked to see if it was being identified while running Clover.

@Slice - Maybe you could add a line to the bootlog to indicate a CustomUUID value has been read and applied?

Yes - I do remember your avatar but not the username but then I see you must have re-registered in 2012? Anyway - hi :)

Good to see you now have it working. That's correct in that the value you give CustomUUID in to the config.plist is what you should be seeing as the Hardware UUID. I would have thought the process would work first time, rather than you having to add it, remove it and re-add it.

I don't think the boot log shows any mention of CustomUUID being set, as otherwise you could have checked to see if it was being identified while running Clover.

@Slice - Maybe you could add a line to the bootlog to indicate a CustomUUID value has been read and applied?

I also had thought it would work first time - anyway it is working now - I have the UUID I wanted. Thank you for your time :-)

Recently read up on the "block kext" option on newer revisions of Clover, and that poses a question: Is it possible to use this in conjunction with on-the-fly kext patching to acheive a patched kext that's loaded later in the boot process?  The reason I ask is because I've been trying to experiment with Clover's kext patching abilities with the Intel HD Graphics Framebuffer kext.  Most users have gotten it working either by hard patching the kext themselves with Giofrida's tool, or by downloading a prepatched kext from GhostRaider.  (BTW, this kext we're patching is AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext)

However, since Clover can patch kernel extensions on the fly, I envisioned this to be a better route than patching the kext manually.  After an update, all one would have to do is reboot and Clover would do all the work for them.  Assuming the patches were still the same, it would work!  I've started experimenting with it, but the problem I face is that Clover always tries to load a patched kext early in the boot process.  Booting without caches creates this problem because FSInject forces the kext to load before it's dependencies for Graphics have loaded.  I've also never gotten a working kernelcache to work with Clover for my purposes because that requires me to have to boot with the vanilla kext (to then regenerate a kernelcache with an unpatched framebuffer), which either produces a blank screen or a distorted screen.  VNC produces the same image results, so terminal work is not an option.

So, I was wondering if this option could work.  Enable the on-the-fly kext patching and kext blocking on the same kext.  This would stop it from loading the kext prematurely, and then, when loading the kext later in the boot process, it would load a patched kext.  Regardless if this specific idea would work or not, do you have any ideas as to how to go about doing this?  If you want, I can point you into the direction of the specific kext patches.  Thanks in advanced!

since Clover can patch kernel extensions on the fly, I envisioned this to be a better route than patching the kext manually.  

See toleda/audio_CloverHDMI/README/5. HDMI Audio framebuffer edits.  HD3000/HD4000/HD4600 framebuffer edits supported. HDMI audio is not necessary; edits match framebuffer connector to motherboard physical connector.

• Like 1

@toleda.

I applied your 8 series clean compile patch, pegp clean compile patch, Intel 5K AMD Nvidia HDMI patch to my DSDT then I used your alc887applehda command script and appleintelframebafferazul script patch to boot. The result is I cannot boot now. The display goes black and I had to force it to shut down. I tried restore stock appleintelframebufferazul then I can see a speaker icon shows but no HDMI audio. Any idea?

Just wanted to pop in and say I got an email from source forge and Clover will once again be a featured project on source forge for the next week! Thanks to every one for your support and all the developers for your contributions.[/size]

apianti hey, what happened, because you've been out for so long?

Welcome ....

having problems with a Z77 D3h and booting with a GT 620....

i just bought a few things to make a browser computer - as far as i was understood the GT 620 works out of the box but struggling with it and Clover...

if i boot with graphics injector then i get it to boot but with only 1024x768... if i disable graphics injector i then get the dreaded black screen - tried using both HDMI and DVI outputs but still no luck...

build 2652 of clover and 10.9.2... 

anyone have any ideas???