Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

My Z77 wakes from sleep fine although one has to use the power button to wake, then the mouse to wake the monitor, but USB works fine on waking. I am using the default USB settings in the Asus 1616 BIOS.

I also had to press power button to wake, but after adding darkwake=0 to the Kernel Flags it wake, now it wakes with the mouse.

Probably because it ends with 00. Its RGBA - try putting something > 0 for alpha

Good spot dmazar! That's been driving me crazy for the last couple of weeks.. Thanks

@mrengles - Nice to see another theme for Clover. Well done.

• Like 1

Hi, I have been using ML (10.8.2 using Chameleon with DDST/SSDT's and kexts), but have not been able to have it working with Speedstep, etc. Given that I wanted to use Clover ultimately, I decided to just switch to Clover. After a few tries, I got the UEFI boot to work on my USB stick! Really excited and would like to now "customize" Clover for full functionality. I am confused about a few configuration options:

1. Use patched DSDT from Chameleon?

The DSDT that works in Chameleon has patches for audio (for Realtek ALC269VB) and video (HD4000), so should I use the patched DSDT and turn off Graphics Injection? Right now the sound doesn't work because the necessary HDEF patch is missing, and my laptop LCD is not being recognized as such and therefore it doesn't have lighting control (the display is shown as a "spdisplays_display" in the About this Mac).

EDIT: I lied. Just rebooted and the laptop screen is off, and I can "Gather Windows" and get the other system preferences panels for the laptop screen, but no options to change the backlighting.

2. Processor (speeds/stepping).

This should be "easy" because my specs are very close to the latest Macbook Air 5,2 (I have the i7-3517U while the MBA has the i7-3667U), and ML seems to recognize my system as the MBA5,2 even though I don't have SMBios parameters in my config.plist (yay Clover!). However, although the system correctly recognizes the CPU as an i7, the processor speed is being shown as 2.4GHz when it should be 1.9GHz with 2.8GHz Turbo. How should I go about addressing this?

In this post, it seems that I should add the processor section in my DSDT--where do I find the values for my processor to put in the Scope (\_PR) section?

Also, it says I should drop OEM SSDT's and generate C and P states:

http://www.insanelym...2/#entry1853597

However, it seems to imply that I should still use some of the SSDT's from the Clover decoded ACPI tables in the /EFI/ACPI/origin folder because all OEMSSDT's will be dropped. How do I know which ones to use? Should I just put all of them (SSDT.aml to SSDT-6.aml) in? There are also all these other aml's. Should I put those in too? I enclose the orignal, unpatched aml files retrieved by Clover.

Also, in this post related to patching DSDT to get sleep/speedstep working:

http://www.insanelym...2/#entry1853603

I looked in /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/

but did not see a MacBookAir5_2. The highest one I saw was MacBookAir4_2. I thought this would be in ML 10.8.2. Am I missing something?

3. iCloud and App Store.

Do I need to add a custom UUID somewhere? Right now I am getting the dreaded "unknown error" for the App store, and I would love to be able to figure out why--part of it may be because of not having a UUID?

4. USB 3.0

Right now a USB 3.0 external drive will show up under the 2.0 bus. What should I be looking at to get the USB 3.0 to work? DDST mask? I checked my settings in the firmware and XHCI is turned on.

5. Kexts injection

As this seems to be a game of constantly tweaking, I would like to take the kexts I put in /S/L/E and move them to the Clover USB stick for easier manipulation and have Clover inject them until I get to the point where I will put Clover on the hard drive. If I do the kext injection, should I bother to put the original kexts from the ML install back?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Several others on the forums with Zenbooks have expressed interest in using Clover, and I would love to be able to just get this to work and give them my settings.

I enclose DarwinDumper reports for the machine booted under Chameleon and Clover.

UX21A aml Archive.zip

2012-11-07_Chameleon_DarwinDumper_2.4.9_Chimera_1.5_ML.zip

2012-11-07_DarwinDumper_2.4.9_AMI_X64_828_ML.zip

Men you break the head before ...install win and after try ... :wallbash:

I tried with externel disk in Windows legacy mode and it didn't work.

I installed Windows 8 again in UEFi mode. I can boot Windows 8 but not from Clover. WIndows 8 shows up in Clover but when I select it it starts booting for a second or two and then comes back to the Clover screen. I am able to boot Windows by selecting Windows Boot Manager from the BIOS menu but if bypasses Clover altogether. I also tried booting Windows via the shell but I get an error that I should repair my Windows installation.

I tried with externel disk in Windows legacy mode and it didn't work.

I installed Windows 8 again in UEFi mode. I can boot Windows 8 but not from Clover. WIndows 8 shows up in Clover but when I select it it starts booting for a second or two and then comes back to the Clover screen. I am able to boot Windows by selecting Windows Boot Manager from the BIOS menu but if bypasses Clover altogether. I also tried booting Windows via the shell but I get an error that I should repair my Windows installation.

I had this problem for days - UEFI Clover would not boot win8, but selection the F8 option it worked fine.

I discovered the problem was a bios setting. I am using an Asus Z77 Sabertooth MB with 1616 BIOS. I kept the boot options more or less default, just selecting the UEFI drive where Clover was loaded. I decided to set all the boot options to UEFI only, and Clover boots Windows 8 fine with these settings.

Good luck

Clover keeps looping back to its self when I click on the HDD for it to boot post install. What am I doing wrong?

Had that issue a while ago. I think it was related to not having the right drivers in the efi folder. Sorry, this was a week ago, during my first attempt--where I was even more clueless than I am now, so I can't be sure. Are booting UEFI?

BTW, very informative site. Will have to grab (yet another) cup of coffee and start reading.

• Like 1

Had that issue a while ago. I think it was related to not having the right drivers in the efi folder. Sorry, this was a week ago, during my first attempt--where I was even more clueless than I am now, so I can't be sure. Are booting UEFI?

BTW, very informative site. Will have to grab (yet another) cup of coffee and start reading.

I used the UEFI settings for it and not it says Boot7 where before it said Boot?

However I just get a - on the screen...

I used the UEFI settings for it and not it says Boot7 where before it said Boot?

However I just get a - on the screen...

I had a Boot3 message before. Honestly, I completely started over when I re-did my clover stick. Look at this post:

http://www.insanelym...20#entry1865774

I renamed the folders so that only the folders that are necessary are used (e.g., I renamed "drivers32" to "drivers32-unused").

Here's my updated config.plist (the one in that link has errors). I've copied the XSDT and SSDT's in the /EFI/ACPI/origin folder to the /EFI/ACPI/patched folder, used the patched DSDT from Chameleon, and preliminarily, the LCD is recognized better (brightness control is there, but still a weird name), but the sound to HDMI is not controllable--it's basically outputting it at full blast so even when I have my speakers turned down, you can hear the clipping from the source, haha.

I may try to just use the original DSDT and turn on DSDT masks.

Does anyone know if the stuff that is saved by Clover by hitting F4 at the Clover screen is the same as if I would have used a DSDT extractor?

config.plist.zip

How multi-boot with Windows 8 ?

Make sure you don't use OS X's Disk Utility to partition the drive--it will create hybrid MBR.

Hi, I have been using ML (10.8.2 using Chameleon with DDST/SSDT's and kexts), but have not been able to have it working with Speedstep, etc. Given that I wanted to use Clover ultimately, I decided to just switch to Clover. After a few tries, I got the UEFI boot to work on my USB stick! Really excited and would like to now "customize" Clover for full functionality. I am confused about a few configuration options:

The DSDT that works in Chameleon has patches for audio (for Realtek ALC269VB) and video (HD4000), so should I use the patched DSDT and turn off Graphics Injection? Right now the sound doesn't work because the necessary HDEF patch is missing, and my laptop LCD is not being recognized as such and therefore it doesn't have lighting control (the display is shown as a "spdisplays_display" in the About this Mac).

EDIT: I lied. Just rebooted and the laptop screen is off, and I can "Gather Windows" and get the other system preferences panels for the laptop screen, but no options to change the backlighting.

This should be "easy" because my specs are very close to the latest Macbook Air 5,2 (I have the i7-3517U while the MBA has the i7-3667U), and ML seems to recognize my system as the MBA5,2 even though I don't have SMBios parameters in my config.plist (yay Clover!). However, although the system correctly recognizes the CPU as an i7, the processor speed is being shown as 2.4GHz when it should be 1.9GHz with 2.8GHz Turbo. How should I go about addressing this?

In this post, it seems that I should add the processor section in my DSDT--where do I find the values for my processor to put in the Scope (\_PR) section?

However, it seems to imply that I should still use some of the SSDT's from the Clover decoded ACPI tables in the /EFI/ACPI/origin folder because all OEMSSDT's will be dropped. How do I know which ones to use? Should I just put all of them (SSDT.aml to SSDT-6.aml) in? There are also all these other aml's. Should I put those in too? I enclose the orignal, unpatched aml files retrieved by Clover.

I looked in /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/

but did not see a MacBookAir5_2. The highest one I saw was MacBookAir4_2. I thought this would be in ML 10.8.2. Am I missing something?

3. iCloud and App Store.

Do I need to add a custom UUID somewhere? Right now I am getting the dreaded "unknown error" for the App store, and I would love to be able to figure out why--part of it may be because of not having a UUID?

4. USB 3.0

Right now a USB 3.0 external drive will show up under the 2.0 bus. What should I be looking at to get the USB 3.0 to work? DDST mask? I checked my settings in the firmware and XHCI is turned on.

5. Kexts injection

As this seems to be a game of constantly tweaking, I would like to take the kexts I put in /S/L/E and move them to the Clover USB stick for easier manipulation and have Clover inject them until I get to the point where I will put Clover on the hard drive. If I do the kext injection, should I bother to put the original kexts from the ML install back?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Several others on the forums with Zenbooks have expressed interest in using Clover, and I would love to be able to just get this to work and give them my settings.

I enclose DarwinDumper reports for the machine booted under Chameleon and Clover.

Nothing?

Notebook HP DV7-7002el UEFI :king:

I forgot about this: Thank you for this bootloader!

Now that Windows 8 is released, HP has provided a new UEFI update:

Now I can boot UEFI-Clover => Osx directly!

I hope that this update arrivals for all HP Laptop!

My boot is very fast in UEFI mode! :yoji:

Thank you all!

Micky

Notebook HP DV7-7002el UEFI :king:

I forgot about this: Thank you for this bootloader!

Now that Windows 8 is released, HP has provided a new UEFI update:

Now I can boot UEFI-Clover => Osx directly!

I hope that this update arrivals for all HP Laptop!

My boot is very fast in UEFI mode! :yoji:

Thank you all!

Micky

ottimo ..very good

cyf ... will try to write what I know ...

The DSDT that works in Chameleon has patches for audio (for Realtek ALC269VB) and video (HD4000), so should I use the patched DSDT and turn off Graphics Injection?

- Since you have patched DSDT, you just need to put it to /efi/acpi/patched (assuming you have nothing in /efi/oem folder) and set in Clover ACPI/FixDsdtMask=0

- Note: But check it against original DSDT again: your Chameleon DSDT (patched) is different then the one from Clover UEFI boot (check OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, XXXXXXXX, 0x01D1) in them, thee may be more similar stuff)

- GFX patches in DSDT -> you do not need GraphicsEnabler in Chameleon -> no need for it in Clover also: set Graphics/GraphicsInjector=No

- Audio patches already in DSDT -> set in Clover PCI/HDAInjection=No

- You are dropping OEM tables in Chameleon and letting Cham. to generate C and P states -> do the same in Clover: ACPI/DropOemSSDT=Yes, GenerateCStates=Yes, GeneratePStates=Yes

- Notre: Your RSDT table dumped from Clover UEFI boot is bad - something is wrong here.

However, although the system correctly recognizes the CPU as an i7, the processor speed is being shown as 2.4GHz when it should be 1.9GHz with 2.8GHz Turbo. How should I go about addressing this?

Have no idea about that. Ask Slice and apianti on Clover's development thread.

You already have it in your DSDT:

Scope (_PR)
{
 Processor (CPU0, 0x01, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
 Processor (CPU1, 0x02, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
 Processor (CPU2, 0x03, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
 Processor (CPU3, 0x04, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
 Processor (CPU4, 0x05, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
 Processor (CPU5, 0x06, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
 Processor (CPU6, 0x07, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
 Processor (CPU7, 0x08, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
}

In short: you are dropping them all in Chameleon and Chameleon injects new C and P states. If this works there, do the same in Clover: drop them all and let Clover inject C and P states. Do not put anything more in /efi/acpi/patched except your DSDT.

Do not know about that.

3. iCloud and App Store.

Yes. You should boot with Chameleon, open System Information/Hardware and copy Hardware UUID from there into Clover's SystemParameters/CustomUUID param.

4. USB 3.0

Do not know. Search for OSX USB 3.0 drivers?

5. Kexts injection

Kext injection is for injecting additional kexts, like FakeSMC. Not for replacing existing ones. I would recommend installing kexts to where they should go: /S/L/E and use injection only if needed during install for example.

> Does anyone know if the stuff that is saved by Clover by hitting F4 at the Clover screen is the same as if I would have used a DSDT extractor?

Clover should save original, untouched ACPI tables with F4. Should be the same as you would extract from Windows or Linux.

When using CloverEFI (boot->boot1 ...), then tables would be extracted from BIOS, and when Clover is started from UEFI then it will drop tables from UEFI system table. In theory, it's possible that DSDT extracted from BIOS is different then extracted from UEFI. Meaning, it's possible that DSDT for UEFI Clover may be different then DSDT from Chameleon. It's not the case here on my system, but ...

When using CloverEFI (boot->boot1 ...), then tables would be extracted from BIOS, and when Clover is started from UEFI then it will drop tables from UEFI system table. In theory, it's possible that DSDT extracted from BIOS is different then extracted from UEFI. Meaning, it's possible that DSDT for UEFI Clover may be different then DSDT from Chameleon. It's not the case here on my system, but ...

So how do I tell Clover to extract the info from UEFI and not the BIOS? To extract it from the BIOS I write BIOS.aml but what should I write for UEFI?

@magnifico

After some tries I saw that apparently fstab isn't working to auto mount the EFI partition as I proposed for you before...

I found a script that allow us to mount and unmount the EFI partition...

post-628175-0-38116900-1352690526_thumb.png

Originally, the script give the option to mount the EFI partition only when using HFS File System, so I added only one

line to also add FAT File System (I also changed the original AppleScript icon to a nicer one)...

Unfortunately, I can't find the original source even the script being widely know and the only consistent

information is the one in the script...

(*

Created by Koen2X on 2008-12-06

Use at your own risk. I only made this script for my own person use.

I am not responsible for anything this may do to your system!

This script assumes that you do not have as existing volume with the name "EFI"

Sometimes Finder does not want to open or close the window.

I found Finder to be inconsistent when trying to reference the /Volumes/EFI directory.

*)

If anyone know the original source, please tell me...

I'm attaching the script here...

EFI Mounter-v2.app.zip

The usage is simple, double click the app, select the partition and click mount or unmount!

All credits to Koen2X !

• Like 2

After removing the none EFI Boot files from the Boot folder I can boot into Clover. However it still does not see the HDD that it is installed on nor does it see any other HDD on my intel, asmedia, or my rocketraid SAS card. Ideas?

This is for my x79 build.

Clover it's almost perfect for me to use it from now on, I just wish the developers skipped hard disk searches connected to the marvel controller to avoid the 3 minute delay that I have.

For me, if I connect any disk to marvel controller, it will hang before reaching clover gui (or may be I just didn't wait enough long)...

So how do I tell Clover to extract the info from UEFI and not the BIOS? To extract it from the BIOS I write BIOS.aml but what should I write for UEFI?

- If you start Clover from UEFI (without boot -> boot1 ...), then by pressing F4 it will extract tables from UEFI.

- If you start Clover from BIOS (through boot -> boot1 ...), then it will extract tables form your BIOS.

They are probably the same, but do not have to be.

cyf ... will try to write what I know ...

- Notre: Your RSDT table dumped from Clover UEFI boot is bad - something is wrong here.

In short: you are dropping them all in Chameleon and Chameleon injects new C and P states. If this works there, do the same in Clover: drop them all and let Clover inject C and P states. Do not put anything more in /efi/acpi/patched except your DSDT.

> Does anyone know if the stuff that is saved by Clover by hitting F4 at the Clover screen is the same as if I would have used a DSDT extractor?

Clover should save original, untouched ACPI tables with F4. Should be the same as you would extract from Windows or Linux.

Meaning, it's possible that DSDT for UEFI Clover may be different then DSDT from Chameleon. It's not the case here on my system, but ...

Thanks, dmazar. It sounds like I need to take a careful look at my DSDT (I should mention that the patched DSDT was from a UX31A with an i5, and I have a UX21A with an i7 (the other hardware difference being the UX31A having a card reader), and patch "fresh"!

Re: things working in Chameleon vs. Clover, things that were working okay in Chameleon was sound and video (HDMI and VGA out--though apparently the VGA out was not recognized unless you inserted it before boot--I don't have a 3rd monitor connected...yet :-). Sleep was working with patched DSDT as well, I believe, although I didn't extensive time to test in all conditions (the laptop seemed to sleep and awake when lid was closed/open, respectively, which I found amazing).

Would using Clover with DSDT mask be a substitute for the video eventually? Same thing with sound (although sound will still need modified AppleHDA.kext, of course), sleep, etc. It sounded like you were saying if patched DSDT is working, then stick with that. I was hoping to eliminate using as many "modifications" as possible so that any updates (OS X 11? haha) would mean less impact--also to let Clover handle more, as that's the idea, right? ;-)

Processor was not being recognized correctly in Chameleon--i.e., it was recognized as an i7, but running at 1.7Ghz and 786Mhz or thereabouts. Thus, I figured I would at least switch over to Clover before investing anymore time to Chameleon. Clover recognizes at 2.4 GHz, but 1.80 GHz.

Regarding UUIE, I booted into Chameleon and used the Hardware UUID from System Information app, so thanks for that. Going to try and fix App Store/iCloud.

I re-dumped the tables again using Clover and attachedment. I'm not sure what you found wrong about RSDT, as I'm just learning about the ACPI spec. (950+ pages!), so if you have any hints, let me know.

2012-11-12 UX21A aml Archive.zip