Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm not in a hackintosh anymore (I was a hackintosh user a few years ago), I'm using an imac (Ati Radeon HD4850) and I wonder if someone around the community knows if there's a way of faking the system in believing it's a HD 4870 and make it use it's 10-bit framebuffer.

I've been able to fake the graphic card ID of my HD 4850 (944A) to use 9440 (which is the HD ATI 4870, one of the few 10-bit supported cards under mac os x) using Clover bootloader on a usb and booting the iMac from it, and tried to force "MotMot" framebuffer (which apparently it's the framebuffer the 4870 use). But it doesn't work. It always load "Quail" framebuffer, which is tied to the 4850 on an imac, verified with "grep | ATY".

I've tried inject in the config.plist and also using a custom DSDT. In system profiler the ID has changed to 9440, but using gpusniffer, it reveals that it's using the 4850 opengl engine, so I suspect that this is only a "cosmetic" change, and not a real one. Or I'm failing somewhere in doing it right  :)

BTW:

- 9440 and 944A are both in the AMD4800Controller.kext, but they are supposed to use different framebuffers. The 9440 "MotMot" and the 944A "Quail".

- Tried on Snow Leopard and Mavericks.

Hi,

I'm not in a hackintosh anymore (I was a hackintosh user a few years ago), I'm using an imac (Ati Radeon HD4850) and I wonder if someone around the community knows if there's a way of faking the system in believing it's a HD 4870 and make it use it's 10-bit framebuffer.

I've been able to fake the graphic card ID of my HD 4850 (944A) to use 9440 (which is the HD ATI 4870, one of the few 10-bit supported cards under mac os x) using Clover bootloader on a usb and booting the iMac from it, and tried to force "MotMot" framebuffer (which apparently it's the framebuffer the 4870 use). But it doesn't work. It always load "Quail" framebuffer, which is tied to the 4850 on an imac, verified with "grep | ATY".

I've tried inject in the config.plist and also using a custom DSDT. In system profiler the ID has changed to 9440, but using gpusniffer, it reveals that it's using the 4850 opengl engine, so I suspect that this is only a "cosmetic" change, and not a real one. Or I'm failing somewhere in doing it right  :)

BTW:

- 9440 and 944A are both in the AMD4800Controller.kext, but they are supposed to use different framebuffers. The 9440 "MotMot" and the 944A "Quail".

- Tried on Snow Leopard and Mavericks.

It will be fine if you illustrate your words with DarwinDumper report in the wrong situation.

I have many PC's some legacy some newer with sandy bridge and ivy bridge, no haswell boards as of yet.   I have all DSDT already patched back in the days when MaLd0n was pumping out DSDT's left and right.  Can I use this DSDT if I switch to clover or will I need to do a fresh vanilla DSDT extract and patch accordingly for clover?

Thanks

I have many PC's some legacy some newer with sandy bridge and ivy bridge, no haswell boards as of yet.   I have all DSDT already patched back in the days when Mal0n was pumping out DSDT's left and right.  Can I use this DSDT if I switch to clover or will I need to do a fresh vanilla DSDT extract and patch accordingly for clover?

Thanks

Yes, you may use your own DSDT. Just set DSDT->Name=DSDT.aml and set 

<key>NewWay_80000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixRegions_10000000</key>
				<true/>

Hello,

i installed Clover rev 2689 under ML 10.8.5 and now my Nvidia card is no more shown in the System-Profiler under PCI-Cards. (GT 610) (Two entries in the past NVDA, Display-Controller…) Is this a normal behavior? Thanks.

Hello,

i installed Clover rev 2689 under ML 10.8.5 and now my Nvidia card is no more shown in the System-Profiler under PCI-Cards. (GT 610) (Two entries in the past NVDA, Display-Controller…) Is this a normal behavior? Thanks.

+1

Only ethernet and wifi being shown, gpu is gone.

Slice,

What sections of the DarwinDumper you'll like to see (so I check them and attach the report)? Only "Devices Properties" or all dumps?

BTW, I attach my config.list, my custom DSDT.aml and the clover debug.log.

Hi,

I am not sure in what section I will search the problem. For example in the DeviceProperties.

You can make all dumps private if you afraid to show your serials and uuid.

I think the main question about ATI injection fails already shown in the debug.log.

You want to make substitution 944a -> 9440? I see no such attempts. In your config Devices->FakeID->ATI=0

LoadVBios also failed but for another reason

108:681  0:059  ATI: get_vram_size returned 0x20000000
108:725  0:043  Loaded ROM len=131072
108:756  0:030  invalid ROM vendor=1002 deviceID=37952
108:785  0:029  validate_rom fails
108:815  0:029  reading VBIOS from legacy spaceinvalid ROM signature FFFF
108:891  0:075  There is no ROM @0xC0000

This is legacy region and this patch is intended for IMB PC compatible computer, not for Apple's one.

I also see no attempts to change default framebuffer

<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>FBName</key>
		<string></string>

+1

Only ethernet and wifi being shown, gpu is gone.

See AAPL,slot-name in the Clover Instructions thread.

Hi,

I am not sure in what section I will search the problem. For example in the DeviceProperties.

You can make all dumps private if you afraid to show your serials and uuid.

I think the main question about ATI injection fails already shown in the debug.log.

You want to make substitution 944a -> 9440? I see no such attempts. In your config Devices->FakeID->ATI=0

LoadVBios also failed but for another reason

108:681  0:059  ATI: get_vram_size returned 0x20000000
108:725  0:043  Loaded ROM len=131072
108:756  0:030  invalid ROM vendor=1002 deviceID=37952
108:785  0:029  validate_rom fails
108:815  0:029  reading VBIOS from legacy spaceinvalid ROM signature FFFF
108:891  0:075  There is no ROM @0xC0000

This is legacy region and this patch is intended for IMB PC compatible computer, not for Apple's one.

I also see no attempts to change default framebuffer

<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>FBName</key>
		<string></string>

See AAPL,slot-name in the Clover Instructions thread.

Here's the full (private dump) darwindump attached.

I've also modified config.list to inject ATI fake ID (9440) and the MotMot framebuffer. I was using dsdt.aml to inject it, that's why I didn't use anymore the clover options.

Thanks!

DarwinDumper_2.8.8_Apple_X64_SL.zip

debug.log.zip

config.plist.zip

Here's the full (private dump) darwindump attached.

I've also modified config.list to inject ATI fake ID (9440) and the MotMot framebuffer. I was using dsdt.aml to inject it, that's why I didn't use anymore the clover options.

Thanks!

OK. I see some interesting problem with you. 

Apple firmware produces own DeviceProperties that override one produced by Clover. That's why you see ATY,Quail instead of MotMot.

I will think if there is any possibility to make Clover priority.

If any of you have had problems using Clover boot loader to load the  ESP with a working Clover copy --- the latest v2689 now does that !!!!

When I ran 2689 on a GUID formatted disk for MacOSX, I used the Custom button to install it into the ESP, which for me had never worked before. I am happy to report it almost worked perfectly for me. It loaded 2 files -boot and EFI into the EFI partiton of the disk drive and loaded 3 others usr, Library and EFI-backups onto the root of the HFS partition. The loader mounted the EFI partition and I moved the 3 files into the EFI partition.

That was a MAJOR victory in my quest to use Clover as my boot loader of choice.

OK. I see some interesting problem with you. 

Apple firmware produces own DeviceProperties that override one produced by Clover. That's why you see ATY,Quail instead of MotMot.

I will think if there is any possibility to make Clover priority.

Thanks! Hope this work (but I really don't know for sure if this will enable 10-bit output). The card is capable of, because under bootcamp, when fooled as a firegl card, I get a 10-bit output.

I suppose it's not very common to try an alternative bootloader under a real mac :)

I tried to install clover but the result is kernel panic.

I've used a custom DSDT found on web (i use it since 2 years with chameleon)

How can i solve??? :(

vo4utv.jpg

I tried to install clover but the result is kernel panic.

I've used a custom DSDT found on web (i use it since 2 years with chameleon)

How can i solve??? :(

vo4utv.jpg

AppleTyMCEDriver is causing kp here.Just remove the kext.

Why with chameleon there isn't this problem?? (just to learn)

You are using a diferrent SMbios now so thats why that kext is trying to load.

AppleTyMCEDriver is causing kp here.Just remove the kext.

Yes, but after update it appeared again.

There is a patch on the fly by Clover

<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
 	  <key>KextsToPatch</key>
	  <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>No Panic on MacPro4,1 - 5,1</string>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleTyMCEDriver</string>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>cgoATWFjUHJvNCwxAE1hY1BybzUsMQBY</data>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>cgoAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABY</data>
            </dict>
  • Like 1

Hi. I'm new to Clover, just gave it a go for the first time in an attempt to get Yosemite running on my rig. I created a 40GB partition and also created a USB installer with Clover on it in order to boot the new OS.

I made it through installation ok, albeit a few small hiccups.

The problem I'm having now is that I can't successfully boot the OS. Right before I should get to the GUI, my system must reboots. My hardware is listed in my sig, I'm installing on the intel rig. And here is a pastebin of the logs for the unsuccessful boot: http://pastebin.com/zjnBtHvy

Please let me know if there is anything anyone sees that stands out as odd, or if I need to provide any other info. Thanks in advance!

Here's the tutorial I followed: 10.10 USB Install Guide