Macbook doesn't boot from usb/cd

ninoalcamo

16 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a macbook that I'm changing the harddisk because it was damaged, and so I should reinstall all the software on the new harddisk by a new installation.

The problem is at boot time, when I press alt or C, I don't see any boot option, I see only the mouse that is moving .... Any advice on how to start the boot?

If I don't press anything at boot an icon appears as a folder with a flashing question mark, I think it's normal because there isn't any software in the new harddisk, right?

Thanks for help

ninoalcamo,

A few questions

1. Can you verify that you are talking about an actual Apple laptop and not a clone? Sorry, I have to ask.

2. Which model MacBook do you have?

3. What version of OSX came with your MacBook and what version were you using when it stopped working?

4. I assume that your previous hard drive is completely dead? If it is only hanging at boot, you may have more options.

Solutions

Option 1.0 - Macbook that shipped with 10.7 Lion or greater and you have available wifi access.

Hold both the "Command" and "r" keys down. The computer will first attempt to boot to the recovery partition. When it detects that one does not exist on your new hard drive, it then starts internet recovery. This will download the recovery files to your computer via the EFI. I have not used this function so I can't attest to its ease of use.

Option 2.0 -Macbook with an optical drive and you have the recover disk (DVD) (even one from a previous version of OSX)

Insert the recovery disk and hold the "c" key during boot. It may take a significant amount of time to take effect. Wait at least 120 seconds before giving up. If this fails, try holding the "option" key during boot. The install DVD will boot and you can install OSX on your new hard drive. If this was an older version, you can always upgrade online.

Option 3.0 -Macbook that did not come with Lion at purchase and you do not have the recovery disk.

Option 3.1 -You have another working Apple computer that shipped with Lion or Mountain Lion installed

Consider downloading the OSX Recovery Disk Assistant (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433). This utility will create a recovery disk on a USB drive, which you can boot on your problem machine. It can then install OSX to your new hard drive.

Option 3.2 -You have another working computer with OSX installed (clone such as the one in your signature.)

Option 3.2.1 - You have working firewire ports on both computers.

You should try to startup in Target Disk Mode by holding the "t" key. If it loads correctly, you should see a firewire symbol. Your computer is essentially an external hard drive. You can then follow the install steps below.

Option 3.2.2 - You do not have firewire ports on both computers or if Target Disk Mode does not work

You will need an external hard drive adaptor. Install your new hard drive in the external adaptor and plug it into your second computer. Follow the steps below:

Option 3.2.a - Installation from downloaded Upgrade

On the working computer, go to your App Store and check your purchases. If you purchased 10.7 or 10.8, you should be able to re-download it. else, you will need to purchase the upgrade. Plug in your external hard drive adaptor with drive installed (Or your laptop in Target Disk Mode) into the working computer and run the Upgrade installer. (It downloads to your Applications folder.) Make sure to select your new hard drive in the options. Upon completion, reinstall your new hard drive into the problem laptop and it should boot fine. If it does not, hold the "option" key and select the drive. Once you are in OSX, go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and set your hard drive as the startup.

Option 3.2.b - Installation by cloning from a working Apple computer

You can copy the working Apple computer. *Obviously, do not clone from non-Apple hardware.

If you do not want to copy the user files (pictures, documents, & etc.) first create a temporary Admin account on the new machine and log into it.

1. Plug your external hard drive adaptor in and open Disk Utility.

2. Select your external hard drive, go to the Partition tab. Set to 1 partition, Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Give it a name, and go to Options and set the partition table to GUID.

3. Select the working computer's install partition (Typically "Macintosh HD").

4. Go to the restore tab and drag the new partition you just made on your new hard drive over to the destination line.

5. With the working computer's partition as source and your blank hard drive's new partition as the destination, press restore.

6. reinstall your new hard drive into the problem laptop and it should boot fine. If it does not, hold the "option" key and select the drive. Once you are in OSX, go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and set your hard drive as the startup.

Considerations after you recover.

I would strongly suggest that you keep a cloned copy of OSX or a copy of the Lion Recovery on USB drive handy for future use.

[EDIT] Create a bootable USB thumb drive of the Lion Installer

1. Locate Install Mac OS X Lion from your applications folder.
  2. Right click and select "Show Contents"
  3. Locate Install Mac OS X Lion/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg
  4. Double click InstallESD to mount the image
  5. Go to Disk Utility
  6. Select your thumb drive, go to the Partition tab. Set to 1 partition, Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Give it a name, and go to Options and set the partition table to GUID.
  7. Select the new partition on your thumb drive, go to the restore tab and ensure that Source is the mounted installer "Mac OS X Install ESD" and destination is your thumb drive.
  8. Press restore
  9. Install the blank hard drive back into the problem laptop
  10. You can now boot the usb drive on the problem laptop by plugging in the thumb drive and holding down the "option" key.

If you are lucky enough to have a more recent model, even those that came out prior to Lion, you may have the ability to download the Internet Recovery firmware update. The following page describes (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4904)

ninoalcamo,

Sounds like the model MA699LL.

How did you create your bootable USB drive? Have you tried to boot this USB drive on a working computer (has to be actual Apple hardware)

Have you tried to reset the NVRAM?

1. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command" "Option" "p" & "r" keys.

2. Turn on the computer.

3. Press and hold the "Command" "Option" "p" & "r" keys before the gray screen appears.

4. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

5. Release the keys.

You can also try resetting the SMU:

1. Disconnect the power adapter from the computer

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.

4. Release the power button.

5. Reconnect the battery and power adapter.

6. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

I have to try this:

Option 3.2.a - Installation from downloaded Upgrade

On the working computer, go to your App Store and check your purchases. If you purchased 10.7 or 10.8, you should be able to re-download it. else, you will need to purchase the upgrade. Plug in your external hard drive adaptor with drive installed (Or your laptop in Target Disk Mode) into the working computer and run the Upgrade installer. (It downloads to your Applications folder.) Make sure to select your new hard drive in the options. Upon completion, reinstall your new hard drive into the problem laptop and it should boot fine. If it does not, hold the "option" key and select the drive. Once you are in OSX, go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and set your hard drive as the startup.

I already have 10.7 app purchased from appstore

Thanks for support

Update:

I have did what you said, but I have an hackintosh system, and i can't complete the installation to the harddisk because it requires reboot, and if I reboot I have chameleon.

Can I install Lion on this harddisk on my hackintosh system, and then place it on macbook?

ninoalcamo,

Good call. You may need create a bootable USB drive from the installer. See instructions below.

In addition, how much ram do you have? I think the minimum is 2GB. That is the max for your model. If you do not have 2GB it may not install. (You had no issues from your Asus box because it had 4GB.)

Create bootable installer from Lion download.

1. Locate Install Mac OS X Lion from your applications folder.
  2. Right click and select "Show Contents"
  3. Locate Install Mac OS X Lion/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg
  4. Double click InstallESD to mount the image
  5. Go to Disk Utility
  6. Select your thumb drive, go to the Partition tab. Set to 1 partition, Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Give it a name, and go to Options and set the partition table to GUID.
  7. Select the new partition on your thumb drive, go to the restore tab and ensure that Source is the mounted installer "Mac OS X Install ESD" and destination is your thumb drive.
  8. Press restore
  9. Install the blank hard drive back into the problem laptop
  10. You can now boot the usb drive on the problem laptop by plugging in the thumb drive and holding down the "option" key.

ninoalcamo,

Interesting. Do you hold the "option" key down before you press the power button and hold it for at least 120 seconds?

Do other startup boot-flags work? Command+v for verbose?

See me second post. I describe how to reset your NVRAM. The NVRAM handles settings related to startup disk selection. Try this and then try the "option" key boot.

This should work and I am at a loss. If all else fails, I can only think of two more options:

1. Find a real working apple, that is compatible with Lion, and do the install from there.
  2. Copy the installer to a harddrive that fits in your computer.

1. If you have a second internal hard drive, follow the instructions for the USB thumb drive. substitute the USB drive with your harddrive. Install the hard drive with the 10.7 install image and install blank hard drive into your external hard drive adaptor. Boot and install to the external drive. You can then swap them out.
    2. If you do not have a second internal hard drive for your laptop, you may want to try copying the installer image to your blank drive and booting it. That may rule out a few things.

We need to identify your exact model number.

From your previous responses, it appeared to be a

MA699LL with

Core 2 Due is 64bit and should be compatible. There are some older models that are not officially supported; however, they are compatible. They require some additional steps to install.

You can go the 10.6 Snow Leopard route and shouldnt have problems. Else, we can continue to attempted this on your machine. If you want to continue, get a model number off of your machine.

Provide the rest of the message that you get when you try to boot. In addition to the comment about 32bit processor, it should also identify your machine. Copy that information down.

ninoalcamo,

No problem.

10.5 is unsupported after December 31, 2012. 10.6 may be a better option for security updates etc.

As I mentioned, there are some unofficially supported models that can run 10.7. Requires removal of "/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist". In case you decide to tinker.

Have fun

• Like 1