Can you get into text-based games?

TTGSteve

1 post in this topic

Text-based games may seem like something from the past, but are they really? I mean, I recently stumbled across a game called SuperPower - World At War and it's a text-based game for the iPhone / iPod Touch. You can check it out by clicking *here* if you want. It's free, so no worries as far as your bank account is concerned. It's also a really fun game and I enjoy it.

The game is definitely what inspired me to write out this topic. I know that text-based games aren't as popular as they used to be on the Internet. I mean, now you can get console and PC games that are riddled with explosives, awesome gameplay and some of the most beautiful graphics you've ever seen. Handhelds are also becoming a really good option, as well and they do include some great graphics and gameplay. Granted, handhelds don't offer the best controls / gameplay for first person shooters, etc... But they're also advancing and developers are always getting you closer and closer to the console and PC gaming experience.

Now, that being said, I'm just wondering how many of you could still see yourself getting into text-based games. I think text-based games can be fun as is the case with SuperPower - World At War, especially since it has implemented social networking into the game. However, do you think games like this even stand a chance with today's society? I mean, if you were a developer, would you even try to create a text-based game or would you focus your attention on something else? Do you think text-based games are a thing of the past?