need some help fixing boot loader

cdoublejj

4 posts in this topic

So not only do i get boot0 error when i run the cameleon boot loader from install disc it doens't see linux. so form what i understand both grub and Chameleon like ot install to the MBR. Soooo I need to reinstal lgrub to the NOT MBR and them reisntall Chameleon.

Im tryign to tri boot 7/lubuntu/OSX. I have 7 on an SSD which chameleon sees and an hdd with partitions for Lubuntu and osx. swap/ext4/mac-jouraned.

I found this but, i do not how to perfom this on a live cd.

http://dovangiang.wordpress.com/2012/05/01/booting-ubuntu-linux-with-the-chameleon-bootloader/

tried this, http://howtoubuntu.o...ubuntu-live-cd/

gave me

/usr/sbin/grub-bios-setup: warning: File system `ext2' doesn't support embedding.
/usr/sbin/grub-bios-setup: warning: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
/usr/sbin/grub-bios-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

I can't believe there ins't a simple GUI installer that just asks you where you want to install and installs it, sheesh. I'm gonna loose my mind trying to figure this out.

think i got it figured out just started over and formated the hdd and reparitioned, except this time when installing linux i told it to install grub to the actualy linux parition instead of mbr of the main/fisrt drive/ssd. Also has to install HFS tools on lvie cd so gpatered could make an HFS partition. Now all is well, i got it donw to a science and could make a guide if i wanted.

Now i just need to figure out how to make it so i DON'T need to press f8 for boot option and get rid of the excess boot options.

• 7 months later...

You  need to partition your usb to an MBR FAT32 DOS format.

Then use the DD command to write your image to your usb,

After that use your MODCD to bootup and it should work.

Just make sure that you use the retail image of snow leopard.

Oh and make sure you got your DVD-Drive set as first boot device!