VoodooHDA Sigmatel 9277 + NVIDIA 450 GTS HDMI Sound

bgrau

18 posts in this topic

VoodooHDA Sigmatel 9277 + NVIDIA 450 GTS HDMI Sound

This is on a Dell 9200 (XPS 410)

Using VoodooHDA 2.73 or 2.74

works on Snow Leo and Lion, (will probably work on MLion to be tested later)...

These were the details I intially used for the drivers:

Sigmatel 9227 on-board audio:

Dev_Id: 7618

Ven_Id: 8384

NVIDIA 450 GTS HiDef HDMI Sound:

Dev_Id: 0bee

Ven_Id: 10de

I injected these with/in appropriate sections in VoodooHDA.kext Info.plist...

However all I could get was the HDMI sound (which cannot be controlled at system level, but could be as per on application basis)...

so this somewhat solved - sound is good, with reported 8 channels (I also got 10 but probably repetition of info in DSDT HDEF section)...

With the Sigmatel data, no way to talk to it with VoodooHDA...

So I took a hard look at the device properties of High Definition sound that correspond to Sigmatel 9277 in Windows...

and noticed a very interesting finding...

The Sigmatel 9227 has a compatible device listed and the data were that of an Intel device, i.e. Ven_Id:8086

and the actual compatible device id is 284b ...

So I tested the combination:

Dev_Id: 284b

Ven_Id: 8086

and it gets then recognised and loaded at boot up...

Now I wonder what this combination will give, as it is listed too:

Dev_Id: 7618

Ven_Id: 8086

Well for now:

Sound works - the only available ports (with basic control) for Sigmatel 9277 in System Preferences are:

For output:

Line-out (Green Rear)

SPDIF-out (Black Rear)

For input:

Microphone (Black Front)

which is enough for my needs so far...

I am sure someone can fool around with pin assignments on Info.plist of VoodooHDA.kext to get the other ports working...

This really came from just a simple (but important) observation...

Also, it should work with other Sigmatel 9000 chips too...

For further details and more, hook up to these two threads:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284295-geforce-gts-450-2gb-vram-palit-case-study/

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284414-dsdt-for-dell-dimension-9200-aka-xps-410/

Just checked:

Line out / Speakers (Black Front) is same channel as Line-out (Green Rear)...

so the only thing missing for a complete 2 channels solution is Line In (Pink Rear)...

no clue so far as how to do it with VoodooHDA...

Whoops. HDEF is not loading in the DSDT I edited. Was busy the past few days and missed your post...

That might be the reason why it did not work with AppleHDA...

however with Voodoo Loader, the KP's are bypassed, and in this way, and the fact that I found out which dev_id/ven_id to inject, I am not complaining, it works very well now...

incidentally, I got an RMA for GF GTX 450, returning it because it does not get recognised in Snow Leopard which I still use (I have a multi boot Snow Leo, Lion, MLion, Win 7, Vista, XP and Ubuntu... LOL!)

I am now using the GTX 470 which is now well supported... even if I am still working on getting hdmi working for Snow Leo, but it is just a challenge... everything else is cool...

Still on Snow Leo, curiously, with gts 450 (which I am returning), and voodoohda, I had the sound sorted out, but no qi/ce/resolution change...

now with gts 470, I lost hdmi (so far), so no way of checking hdmi sound either, but onboard sound is as fine as before (of course predictable

as it has nothing to do with the graphics)... and graphics is all 100% on dvi (using gfx string)...

I will try to figure this hdmi 'failure' on my own, if I do, will post here, otherwise, I will post the ioreg from Snow Leo, and ask for your help, :) LOL!

On Lion (hdmi) all is good, but still having to try several boots before getting the GUI (apparently it is a problem with the LG monitors, not with the cards)...

Still hdmi and MLion, not been able to reach the GUI so far LOL!...

It will work. Just use IOreg to place PEGP at the right address. The edit just makes the kexts load...

hmmm... its not that I am computer illiterate, variable assignment labels don't matter... call it PEGP or POP1 or whatever... (just decompiler conventions) -

the only thing I see in ioreg is PCI0, PCI1, display, "NVDA, Display-..." and so on...

the DSDT I get extracted does not show up any display related section, because the mobo does not have integrated display...

so I had to rely on DSDT's extracted from rigs that do, and amend that...

I believe that since there are several output ports on each graphics card, there should be as many sections to reflect

display@0, display@1, display@2 and so on...

as ioreg relies on the DSDT to show its results, if we inject only one display port type (like DVI, or VGA or HDMI), it will only show that...

the proof is the NVCAP changes in the ioreg (it captures the real one when it loads, not the DSDT provided one, I found out)...

so for a proper DSDT that works, maybe, all display sections should be injected, not just one (like PEGP), that is unless PEGP is the main display header, and GFX0 is say the first display type (DVI or VGA or DP or hdmi,...etc), this is something I am not yet so clear about...

so what do you think?

further I still do not understand why you removed the PEGP section, and left only the GFX0 (which used to be a child section of PEGP in the original DSDT I put together, which by the way worked up to a point, as I could load the hdmi without relying on GE or gfx string...)

that being said, I am no DSDT fanatic, a combination of everything will do me as good...

so far, my best combination is having DVI-I to HDMI adapter, use a DVI-I port NVCAP value, and a gfx string and it loads beautifully, with the bonus of having the hdmi sound because dvi-i passes the hdmi sound through too, and the monitor behaving in hdmi mode, with the benefit of it...

incidentaly, the GTX 470 card I got on ebay was advertised as an Inno3D, (well known for its optimised cooling), but was in fact a debranded POV card (I got that from the BIOS version) - I do not know if the seller knew this (so he is a conman), or that he bought it without knowing...

the concern for me is that it could be a GTX 465 flashed to a 470 (you can do that with a Point of View) - and I don't think there is any way of knowing...

I am thinking of returning it (yet another return), and get a proper one, as this is the best NVIDIA I can afford that is easily OS X compatible... or ask for a discount from the seller (he sold me it at an expected price for this card now, 80 bucks) -

Sorry took me long, been busy :)

ioreg on Snow Leo...

dsdt mod (my mod)

dsdt mod1 (your mod)

dsdt extracted (using dsdt extractor)

will be interesting to see what you can do...

just a note: using dvi-i to hdmi adapter here...

Dell_Dim9200_SLeo.ioreg.zip

DSDT_mod1.aml.zip

DSDT_mod.aml.zip

DSDT_Dell_Dim9200_extracted.aml.zip

cheers

bgrau2000

Only 2 outputs will ever work on your GPU. You do not inject per port you just make each one think it is a HDMI port thus enabling HDMI audio out via that port. Post your IOreg and current DSDT and I will make sure the edit is correct.

I had a family member pass away and I had to attend a funeral so please have some respect. If you had read my blog you would have seen that.

Sorry about that, I cannot have some respect when I do not know...

I have health problems, and also I sometimes take time to respond...

what I said was meant as a joke... ;)

Thanks for the DSDT, I will try it...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rampage Dev,

been pretty low, so delay in testing...

the last dsdt you sent does not resolve any of the past issues... just same as before and no sound...

After that I tried a bunch of kexts from osxnet:

http://www.osx86.net...rking_lion.html

it gives the list of outputs in System Profiler...

but in Audio System Prefs, no listing of audio...

finally, I put in (hardware) an audigy 2 sz pci card, and with help of the kexts kXAudioDriver-1.3b0.dmg or kXAudioDriver-1.1b0.dmg I can get HD sound with that Creative card...

hdmi sound only achievable with VoodooHDA, and with VoodooEnabler and AppleHDA disabler it works well, so I will stick with this after all...

maybe the solution is in patching AppleHDA the right way, but too much effort for little rewards...

I have two working solutions, both with VoodooHDA,

1. pure HDMI no gfx string or video rom, using pure dsdt (yours or mine old one)... but have to reboot 2 or 3 times to get in...

2. dvi-i 2 hdmi (also with sound integrated thanks to nvidiia pass through technology) - needs gfx string - very stable and works every time also with VoodooHDA and HDA disabler...

So I will leave it like this... (it goes without saying that all works perfect in Windows XP / Vista / 7)...

Thanks for the effort...