Lion 1.7.2 on Acer Aspire Timeline U M3-581tg

pessott

2 posts in this topic

Hi Everybody!!

After messing around with many linux Distros, i've recently been attracted from the OS X, and wanted to get it working on my notebook. After many tries, following lot of different guides (non3 of them completely working to say the truth), I finally managed to install Lion 1.7.2 on my fresh Acer M3.

The point of this Thread is help someone elsa with my hardware to accomplish this goal and, hopefully, get some help to make things works better (well, in some cases, just make them work would be enaugh :wink2:)

see signature for complete hardware specs, anyway these are the main characteristics:

Acer Mother board model MA50_HX (Bios: Insyde corp v1.08)

Core i3-2377M

Built-in HD3000 + nVidia Optimus discreete card nVidia GT640M

Atheros AR9462 + NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe

Standard PS\2 built-in Keyboard + Elan PS\2 Port Smart Pad

I've to say that I'm quite good at linux, but completely new to OSX so I'm just starting to understand Kext, smbios and so on...

What i've used:

8gb USB stick

iAtkos L2 dmg

Chimera BootLoader (without this, touchpad isn't recognized during installation)

Now that's what I've done:

Downloaded iAtkos L2 dmg

Installed it on VMWare (just to have a functional OSX for partitioning, restoring images etc), followed that guide that works really stright forward http://ilpico.it/wordpress/?p=2642 (It's in Italian, anyway if someone needs it I can traduce it)

From Lion VMWare (or another working Mac OS), mounted the 8gb usb stick

Entered Disk Utility, select the USB Stick, in "Partition" tab, selected 2 partition from the dropdown menu (i've used GUID partition table)

Selected the first partition and changed size to something like 300-500MB, named it "boot"

Selected the second partition and named it "iatkos"

Partitioned the usb stick with this partition scheme.

mounted iAtkosL2.dmg image

in disk utility clicked on the mounted iatkosL2 image, and the in the expanded image

Selected restore tab, dragged the expanded iatkosL2 image from the left inside the "source" field, dragged the "iatkos" partition inside the destination field. Proceeded to restore

During the restore process, downloaded latest chimera bootloader pkg (i've used Version 1.9.2)

When Restore process was complete (about 15-25min), opened the chimera pkg and then doble clicked the installer

Proceeded througt the installation and changed the install destination to "boot" partition on my USB Stick

When installation finishes, unmount partitions and rebooted

At start up, selected the usb stick from boot menu

In chimera boot loader, booted the iatkos image with -v GraphicsEnabler=No (otherwise the system tries to use the nVidia Card and cannot boot)

Using chimera, when install screen arrives, touch pad was working, so proceeded trought the installation, initialized the partition i've wanted to use (i've used the whole 20GB SSD), selected only PS/2 Kext for making also the kayboard working. Also selected both Atheros driver but didnt' make my wifi card work.

After install, booted in arch linux to remove every AppleIntelHD* and AppleIntelSNB* kext, otherwise boot hangs, even with GraphicsEnabler=No

rebooted installation processes only for fixing permission trought disk utility

Powered off and booted from SSD with GraphicsEnabler=No, this time i was able to reach the mail screen!!

entered sytem setting -> chimera bootloader (or maybe it's called chameleon inside the system setting menu', dont remember right now), changed resolution to 1366x768x32, checked the "GraphicsEnabler=No" as boot option

That's all, right now didnt apply any extra kext or smbios or dsdt.

Now, that's wht's not workig, hoping some one can give me some good tips!

- NETWORK: nor Atheros AR9462 nor NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe get detected. Simply no network interface. (En0 not present). Any suggestion here?? I think for the atheros there isnt much we can do, but i think should be possibile to make the ethernet work!

- GRAPHICS: Intel HD3000 is recognized as "built in graphics", with only 64MB of memory and no specific Kext used for it. How can I use the intel HD3000 kext and graphicsenabler=yes without having the system tryng to use the nVidia card??? Maybe romoving nVidia Kext and placing back intel HD and Intel SNB???

- INPUT: Keyboard it's ok, touch pad works with basic function (no gesture at all). anyway if I go in system settings -> touchpad, there's no device listed

Anyone can suggest some fix for those problems? Should I fix my dsdt (if yes.... HOW??), should I use a smbios different from the stok one inside iAtkos (MacPro3,1)???

Hope this post will be usefull to anyone with this hardware configuration, and hope some good soul will help me fix these issues!

Thank you in advance!

PES