Waiting For Root Device, unexpected error

JavaKrypt

2 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm not a noob to Hackintosh's, but I'm confused by why this is happening. I've setup a fool proof guide on how to setup Leopard/Snow Leopard (and have success with Lion/ML, but this is unpublished for the meantime) on my VAIO (http://www.javakrypt.com/mac).

I had a failing 320GB hard drive, so I backed up what I could and tried using a Samsung 320GB drive that I used for previous backup purposes. I know this drive was working, I'd be using it for months without problems. Whenever I installed Leopard, it worked, installed Snow, I got the Waiting For Root Device error. So I decided to buy a new hard drive thinking that too was breaking. I bought a 320GB Toshiba drive, tried to use it the first day, got the same outcome. Boots with Leopard, Root Device error with Snow. I'm actually using Leopard which is on the new Toshiba 320GB drive right now to type this.

Now here's the more confusing part, following my own guide, as I have done using my other drives, I can install Snow and Leopard, and get them to boot, using a very old 80GB drive that originally came with this laptop (it's nearing 6 years old.) So I know it's not the guide, or the kext downloads on my server. If I -v I see lots of errors about not being able to allocate or load certain kexts (most to do with SMBIOSEFI, AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext etc.)

I've tried using other boot flags to no avail. But I shouldn't HAVE to use those.

Anyone have any idea why this happens?

• 4 weeks later...