[HOWTO] Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 + osx 10.4.7/10.4.8 JaS

thedguy

348 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I just wanted to say thanks to Conroe Mac for starting this and Sabr for showing me that i'm not crazy.

I talked my GF into letting me try this Hack'intosh idea rather than her buying a MAC and a PC... now I'm not so sure it was a good idea LOL.

I'm almost 100% thinking my (and Sabr's) problems with not being able to install OSX in any usable way on the PURPLE tabs are from the WD SATA's. It took me 14 hrs (new record) to do a full install of OSX and 6 hrs to do one without all the printer drivers and such. If I use the IDE to USB drive it's only 25 min or so. I'm going to try a different brand in a few days but am I right?! I don't need another drive (My own unit already has 1 TB of WD hard drives in it dam). Someone tell me if they think I'm right cuz I can't tell where up is any more (after MANY late nights).

Here is the setup:

Intel 6300 Core2 (Faster than my own AMDX2 3800+ )

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3

OSX 10.4.7 JaS ISO DVD

ATI X1900GT (Great in XP and OSX)

One IDE WD 160GB (External with IDE to USB2)

Two SATAII WD 250 GB (Internal running XP + storage)

Logitech KB and Mouse wireless (works in both OSX and XP)

Trendnet Wi-Fi PCI card (XP only)

Logitch Cam (XP only)

I am having the same problems you guys are having.

-IDE is dead (Using IDE to USB for the DVD/CD)

-Audio is not working (Will fix with posted info, thx's!)

-Reboot not working (same fixes)

-SATAII not working fast.

THe X1900 is awsome. Works 100% with the patch included durring the OSX install. Can't say enough good things. QE works too. I tried a X1600 made by 3D Com (or something like that) and it crashed BAD.

Used the "Chain0" trick to dual boot and it works great. Here it is for anyone asking:

Copy "CHAIN0" from your OSX DVD and put it on C:\

Now edit your "boot.int" file and add "C:\CHAIN0="Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.7" so that it reads:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP....

C:\CHAIN0="Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.7

save it and reboot. Done.

Otherwise I love this MoBo... So I'm safe to asume that everyone is finding their setup to be working great once they fixed the SATA speed isues? Cuz I may just go and chuck this WD if thats the case. Please help.

(Going to post this twice in different threads I hope thats ok)

Hello !

I just installed Jas 10.4.7 Release with my Samsung Sata HD and LG-Burner(connected via a SATA-Converter) to the ICH8. Everything worked fine. Installation completed in about 30 minutes. To get fast RW-access from my HD i hooked up my Samsung SATA to the purple Sata Connector in order to get it going with AHCI in OSX, but it does not work properly. It boots, but like a snake walking a mile. The HD-Led ist permantly on, then sometimes it flashes and OSX boots a little bit further, then it stops booting and the LED is permantly on again.This cycle repeats for about 5 Minutes till OSX is finally at the desktop stage, but it´s impossible to use. Diskaccess is totally worse with AHCI and my HD.

I think Samsung SATA HD´s are also not comaptible with AHCI and OSX.

By the way, AHCI works fine with Windows XP and SUSE Linux 10.1. There are no problem, and HD-speed is like the ICH8.

Has someone the same problem or did i something wrong? I followed the tutorials, Bios Settings etc. !

Success !

I finally got my SAMSUNG SATA2 to work as it should with OSX.

Connecting to the purple ports with AHCI did not have the same success as those guys here with SEAGATE SATA2 HD´s. So i surfed around the forum and found, that JMicron 860 SATA Host Controller can be used via some kext plist editing. Ok, the DS3 has JMicron 863 onboard. But who cares. I did nearly the same plist changes as the boys with JMicron 860 except that i used 0x2363197b(JMicron 863) compared to 0x2360197B(JMicron 860).

Well i did it with no big expectations and i was totally fascinated by the result.

My SATA and PATA-DVD-Writer, both connected to the JMicron controller work perfect, and the IDE-Burner is connected without SATA-Converter to the green IDE connector.

Here is what i did exactly.

I editet /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/contents/info.plist:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/contents/info.plist

then search for:

<key>VIA SATA Controller</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleVIAATA</string>

<key>Hardware Name</key>

<string>8237 SATA</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleVIAATARoot</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x2363197B 0x31491106 0x00e310de 0x005410de 0x005510de</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<string>1000</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Serial ATA</key>

<true/>

</dict>

add the vendor and device id marked in red.

edit /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist

then search for

<key>GenericAHCI</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundeIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAHCI</string>

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>

<string>0x2363197B</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>800</integer>

<key>Vendor Name</key>

<string>Generic AHCI</string>

</dict>

change the vendor and device id to the value marked in red.

then do the usual things:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

repair disk permissions

shutdown osx, plug the sata and the ide-optical drive to the JMicron and it should work.

I don´t use AHCI in the bios, maybe it also works with AHCI(not tested). I use IDE-setting for

the JMicron onboard controller.

Update: Choosing AHCI for the JMircron controller works also, but makes no difference in OSX, but it should be better with XP.

Well this did the job for me, and i hope it works also for those who don´t own a compatible harddisk(like WD or so) which works on the purple ports without patching this files.

XBench before patching 51, after patching 159 ! Impressive or ?

For those getting "still waiting for root device" error's even after following my instructions...

Play around with the order the drives are connected to the SATA ports.

For instance:

I have to use the Very top Purple for the HD and the very top Orange for my dvd rom, otherwise I have trouble.

If I decide to have both drives connected to the Orange ports, than the HD has to be first (on the highest port) and the dvd has to be connected to the 1 right below it. If I had the DVD on the 2nd set of orange ports, the drive wouldn't be detected and I'd get the "still waiting for root device"

Also, I will update the front page as soon as I confirm myself that Julian's fix works.

Fuzzlet: I was hoping to look into it. But I'm pretty sure it's entirely beyond me to do.

Seems that the problem is the hdd :2cents:

and it seems only seagate SATA drives work :(

You need to install it by disabling Onboard SATA 0-3, and changing the IDE/SATA Control Mode to IDE. Then, plug your HDD and DVD Rom into the orange ports, and install it. Then follow the instructions that Julain23 said. You should now be able to plug your WD HDD into your purple slot, and have full speed, with the IDE port also working. :)

Success !

I finally got my SAMSUNG SATA2 to work as it should with OSX.

Connecting to the purple ports with AHCI did not have the same success as those guys here with SEAGATE SATA2 HD´s. So i surfed around the forum and found, that JMicron 860 SATA Host Controller can be used via some kext plist editing. Ok, the DS3 has JMicron 863 onboard. But who cares. I did nearly the same plist changes as the boys with JMicron 860 except that i used 0x2363197b(JMicron 863) compared to 0x2360197B(JMicron 860).

Well i did it with no big expectations and i was totally fascinated by the result.

My SATA and PATA-DVD-Writer, both connected to the JMicron controller work perfect, and the IDE-Burner is connected without SATA-Converter to the green IDE connector.

You mean the Jmicron 363, Right???? :D

What do you mean about the first boot.? The first boot after applying the fix?

Also what kind of currupt permissons are you get. The Permissions for the drive?

Either way if that is the only problem, that not hard to fix. This is a great fix if you ask me.

I fixed it. I just had to do the chown/chmod rather than just using diskutil.

What I ment was after I did the fix, it would only work the first time I booted it. If I didn't do a repair of the permissions again, when I rebooted nothing would show up.

Anyway

First post has been updated. I even tweaked my script. Just follow the instructions after you get a fresh install done, and Audio, Reboot, and IDE will be fully functioning.

Thats awesome i just got all of my parts along with the ga-965p-dq6 and i almost didn't buy it because of the jmicron problem, but then i figured me or someone would fix it, but anyway :D Props to julian 23 for solving the problem now all of us 965'er will have a much easier time.

1) Has anyone tried Julian23's method on 8.8.1 kernel? (using just the mifki kernel, Apple 10.4.8 Combo update, AppleSMBIOS.kext)

---> Tried this. I can confirm this works.

2) Has anyone succeeded in installing 10.4.8 using the reseeded JaS DVD? I couldn't even get the DVD to boot, which is why I used the method mentioned above.

3) Reboot Issue: Is there a new solution for the 8.8.1 kernel?

wow, so many information, I got lost. :)

Can someone help me? I have some questions:

. You guys got IDE working AFTER the instalation?

. Do I HAVE to buy a IDE to USB converter? I´m trying to install 10.4.6 from my IDE DVD, but I get "still waiting for root device". I tried to change the Bios, but didn´t work. i´m askinh this because I read that you can make changes in some .kext files in the Terminal. But I can´t get inside the instalation, so I can´t change this files, right?

. Using thedguy Bios instructions, I got the message "cannot find .... .pnl"

Thank you!

It is IMPOSSIBLE to use or install OSX on an IDE drive with the onboard IDE

There are no exceptions to this rule until the kernel is modified with the code. No amount of kernel extensions will fix this either.

You just can't boot OSX from it. OSX doesn't support it, no matter if it's an HD or a dvd.

The IDE is only usable after it is installed, kexts modified, and only after you get to the desktop.

The IDE is only usable after it is installed, and only after you get to the desktop.

How do you get IDE working after it's installed ? I've had a working 10.4.8 install for awhile on this motherboard and I've just had to put up with no DVD drive.

I'm about to put up a 10.4.8 guide...

Install the JaS.10.4.8.VIA.ULi.SATA.support package when installing, or on the install dvd look in System/Installation/Packages.

Then follow the steps outlined in my OP. The file should be the Info.plist "AppleAHCI.kext" and "AppleVIAATA.kext"

Credit for the info for this guide needs to be given to ConroeMac, SABR, Diego Sampaio, and Julian23.

First I must point out you can NOT install OSX no matter what version unless your DVD drive is either connected via USB or SATA.

I've tested this and it's just not possible to run OSX on an IDE drive of any form. It can't boot from it. Even with the kext files mentioned below. Give it up!

So why should I upgrade to 10.4.8?

Simple. It's faster and you get ICH8 support. No longer will you have to worry about connecting to the your HD to purple or orange ports. Just hook the drives up to the orange ports and let 'er rip.

What this guide covers

Gigabyte GA-965p-DS3.

GA-965p-S3

I think the GA-965p-DS4 can follow this guide as well.

What don't it cover

This is not a step by step but merely a supliment to other install guides.

Bios Settings

With Jas 10.4.8 you don't need to worry about your bios settings.

If your upgrading for 10.4.7 copy from /System/Library/Extensions the "IONetworkingFamily.kext" or anything with the "IONetwork" in it to a place you can get to it (USB thumbdrive, or another partition).

Installation

Follow your favorite install guide until you get to the point where you chose your packages.

The Packages you'll want are:

kernel choice is yours, use 1 or the other. Semthex seems to get better support on IRC.

JaS.10.4.8.ich8.pkg

10.4.8.azalia.audio.pkg

JaS.10.4.8.VIA.ULi.SATA.support

other packages are upto you.

DO NOT put in the USB fix. It's doesn't work.

Getting everything to work

Now you'll want to copy over the "IONetworkingFamily.kext" to /System/Library/Extensions.

If you don't have access to 10.4.7, most I can tell you is jump on irc and request it, or pm someone you know might have it. Assuming it ain't against the rules.

At the time of writing none of the previous ways of fixing the reboot work

Fix Audio:

1. Delete AppleHDA.kext:
In Terminal, type: sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
2) Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext:
In Terminal, type: sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist
Search for (use hotkey= ctrl + w):
<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>
change the string to:
<string>0x10ec0883</string>
Exit pico
sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist
Search for (use hotkey= ctrl + w):
change the string to:
<string>0x284b8086</string>
Exit pico
3) Clean up the system:
In Terminal, type:
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions && chmod -R 0755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo diskutil repairpermissions /
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

======+++++++++++++=========

======Getting IDE to work=========

======+++++++++++++=========

You will still have to get a working install with a USB or SATA DVD before this will work.

You can get IDE to work

Due to the unique nature of our systems, you will NOT (with 10.4.8 or older) be able to run OSX or it's install dvd from the IDE on these boards. It is a fact of life.

Many thanks goes to Julian for finding the Vendor/Device ID's.

The parts in RED are the parts to be added.

Here is what i did exactly.

I editet /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/contents/info.plist:

sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/contents/info.plist

then search for:

<key>VIA SATA Controller</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleVIAATA</string>

<key>Hardware Name</key>

<string>8237 SATA</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleVIAATARoot</string>

<string>0x2363197B 0x31491106 0x00e310de 0x005410de 0x005510de</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<string>1000</string>

<key>Serial ATA</key>

<true/>

</dict>

add the vendor and device id marked in red.

edit /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist:

sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist

then search for

<key>GenericAHCI</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundeIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAHCI</string>

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>

<string>0x2363197B</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>800</integer>

<key>Vendor Name</key>

<string>Generic AHCI</string>

</dict>

change the vendor and device id to the value marked in red.

then do the usual things:

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions && chmod -R 0755 /System/Library/Extensions

diskutil repairpermissions /

shutdown osx, plug the ide-optical drive to the IDE ports and it should work. AHCI or not doesn't matter.

Well this did the job for me, and i hope it works also for those who don´t own a compatible harddisk(like WD or so) which works on the purple ports without patching this files.

A note for those with the GA-965p-S3

If your system uses the marvell 8056 rather than the 8053 found on the DS3 try following the instructions below.

Make sure you have 10.4.7 IOnetworking kext (or another one you know will work with the DS3).

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworking.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Info.plist

search for "8053" (no quotes) and replace with "8056" (no quotes)

Then search for "4362" (no quotes) and replace with "4364"

save the file, repair permissions and reboot.

i have sucessfully installed 10.4.8

i use the method of 10.4.7 to fix the reboot problem

but still cannot work

what can i do??

also i can't use Semthex

once i use it cannot boot into osx after it has installed

i have sucessfully installed 10.4.8

i use the method of 10.4.7 to fix the reboot problem

but still cannot work

what can i do??

also i can't use Semthex

once i use it cannot boot into osx after it has installed

The old fix doesn't work on the new kernels. I'm amazed you were able to even use the system after trying the 10.4.7 reboot fix.

Are you trying to install both kernels or just 1 or the other? A little more info than just "I can't use semthex" helps. The install dvd itself runs on the semthex kernel so it should be possible to use. I've used it myself.