[HOWTO] Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 + osx 10.4.7/10.4.8 JaS

thedguy

348 posts in this topic

Well I have the Gigabyte 963P S3

Now I have the brazil DVD< just realised that hackintosh means I have to have this jas 10.4.8 install too, so I'm downloading that one atm.

Currently with the brazil DVD I encountered the roor error after getting a firewire error too (I have fireiwire on the mobo and the soundblaster audigy video card)

So I'm going to go grab a Sata DVD to resolve this, fairly cheap these days anyway.

So this is my process:

3 HDDs

2 HDD plugged into the yellow ports for Vista and XP

1x HDD dedicated to Mac OSX with 2 partition on it preferably or 3, now that I've read this, I'll plut it into the yellow ones too, or just leave it in the purple?

Now I assume once I get jas downloaded and install, just install brazil dvd over it and all should be good, as long as I have the HDD plugged into the yellow and the SATA DVD plugged into the purple.

I'm assuming I'm getting the firewire error due to the audigy, which I might as well remove as it has no benefits in Vista anyway.

I'm researching this board and I'm still slightly confused about the sata ports on it; do sata hard drives on the yellow ports run at horrendously slow speeds, or does this just apply to specific configurations? I've seen a few posts mentioning that native 3gb/s sata drives will run at relatively normal speeds. Thanks, Andy.

Put simply, if you run in AHCI mode, then the orange SATA ports work fine. Use the Jas 10.4.8 install disc and everything should go smoothly. If you do not run in AHCI mode, then your HD speed will be slow in OS X. If you do run in AHCI mode, then you will have to install drivers to make your Windows partition run in AHCI. If you want to try OS X without AHCI, that's fine too. Your HD speeds will be slower, but not cripplingly slow.This guide is horribly outdated. I would change it if I could =). Maybe someone should send thedguy a pm. Basically 10.4.8 Jas will do IDE or SATA installs and you don't have to worry about this huge port issue. Just use the top orange port and you'll be fine. If you want more speed, you can use AHCI.

• 3 weeks later...

I can boot from the DVD but after I press any key to start the install, I am unable to get to the installation screens. I get the apple logo but it shows a circle with a line through it (like a stop sign).

I am using a SATA DVD connected to the top orange port and a seagate 500 GB HDD connected to the top purple port. I have made the bios changes as per the guide and I am using JaS 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 Install DVD.

Any idea what I need to do to get the install process going?

Appreciate the help.

- D

yes...it keeps saying

"still waiting for root device"

BIOS is set to ACHI

Put your DVD drive to purple, HD to orange turn of AHCI and if your install DVD has JMicron patch integrated you are OK. If your install DVD is without JMicron patch, then put them both on first two orange ports, turn of AHCI and you should be able to install OS X.

This works on my GA-965GM-S2, which is by specs virtualy the same as 965P-DS3...

Hope, this helps

Thanks! It turns out that ACHI needs to be enabled in two places in the BIOS and I had it enabled only in one. Changing that made it proceed with the install.

I was able to complete the installation however I am unable to boot to it from the HDD. I can boot from the DVD and it shows my HDD and that everything is installed on it. But if I try to boot without the DVD, it just sits there waiting at the PCI devices listing screen.

I tried to choose the HDD with System Preferences -> Startup Disk. But the only option available in there is "Network drive". I don't see my HDD or DVD in there.

Is there something obvious I am overlooking?

By the way, it doesn't seem that my DVD has the JMicron patch.

Thanks for all the help!

After installing from Jas 10.4.8 DVD and then applying the script as per the tutorial (to patch mach_kernel), I still have the following four unresolved issues:

1. Unable to boot from HDD: I can boot using the DVD but it won't boot using the HDD. HDD isn't available under the options in Startup Disk.

2. No sound: I do not seem to have AppleAzaliaAudio.kext file at all (thus, I can't even apply the patches)

3. No ethernet: On-board ethernet is grayed out in "Network". It isn't working. There is no network connectivity.

4. Screen resolution: I have only one resolution available to select 1024 X 768. I have a 24" HP L2335. I have no idea how to install this or to enable the hi-res modes.

Any help solving any of the issues is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

1 - did you format the disk as MBR? What is your BIOS set for boot priority?

2 - Pretty sure the JAS dvd had Azailia audio as an option, but if not, search for it - it's around.

3 - read this thread - there's something on setting up the Ethernet.

4 - what graphics card are you using? What driver did you install?

Patrick

Thanks Patrick. Here's the info.

1 - did you format the disk as MBR? What is your BIOS set for boot priority?

The BIOS priority is set right. It doesn't boot at all without the DVD in the drive.

I formated the HDD with Disk Utility with default options. How do I tell if it's MBR or not? It says the drive format is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

2 - Pretty sure the JAS dvd had Azailia audio as an option, but if not, search for it - it's around.

I installed everything that my JAS DVD has (the only exception is Soundblaster USB). Is this available somewhere as a separate patch/download?

3 - read this thread - there's something on setting up the Ethernet.

Thanks. Will check it out and report back.

4 - what graphics card are you using? What driver did you install?

I am using nVidia 7300 GT manufactured by Gigabyte. I didn't install any driver. (How do I install/pick a driver? It didn't ask anything during install.)

Thanks again.

- D

In Disk Utility, under Partitioning, under options, you have to select MBR - I think it defaults to Apple boot option.

Yah - Azalia audio should be around - I usually use Google to search - this forum's search is not so helpful:

http://www.google.com/search?q=azalia+audio+hackintosh

Or look in the wiki http://wiki.osx86project.org/

Install the Natit driver - that'll get your 7300 up and running: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Natit

Patrick

In Disk Utility, under Partitioning, under options, you have to select MBR - I think it defaults to Apple boot option.

I don't have "options" in the Disk Utility that came on the DVD (Disk Utility 10.5.4 (198.9)). In the partition tab, I only have 4 buttons: split, delete, revert, partition.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

I am still unable to boot to the HDD directly. I can boot it fine using the install CD though. I have tried all previous suggestions on this board:

- The disk is MBR formatted.

- ACHI Native mode is enabled after install.

I even tried some other things:

- Booting from DOS disk and fdisk /mbr (doesn't work, produces "missing operating system").

- Installing rEFIt (doesn't seem to do anything. No rEFIt menu shows up at boot)

Everything else seems to be working fine just that I have to use the install DVD to boot the system.

I have 500GB Seagate SATA drive and installed using JaS 10.4.8 DVD and then upgraded to 10.4.11.

Any other suggestions for what I could try?

Thanks!

I don't have "options" in the Disk Utility that came on the DVD (Disk Utility 10.5.4 (198.9)). In the partition tab, I only have 4 buttons: split, delete, revert, partition.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

I think you must be...

duoptions.jpg

But now that you've done all this work, you're gonna have to do it all over again if you have to format the drive...

Patrick

I think you must be...

But now that you've done all this work, you're gonna have to do it all over again if you have to format the drive...

Actually I wasn't looking in the wrong place. The Disk Utility on the install DVD is an old version that does not have this feature. I got the HDD formated from someone else's Mac by using "MBR Format" with the options button.

However, that hasn't changed anything. The HDD still won't boot after install.

I have tried the purple as well as the orange ports for connecting the HDD.

Should I be changing something in the BIOS?

I am finally able to boot to HDD. I couldn't solve the original problem but solving it is no longer necessary because with pc_efi now it's possible to format the disk as GUID and boot to it directly.

http://netkas.org/?p=36

Finally I have everything working!

The only minor glitch seems to be that only two of the orange SATA ports seems to be working. Since I have two HDDs connected to each of them, I have to connect the DVD drive to a purple SATA port. It didn't work when it was connected to the third orange port.

• 1 year later...

Having some issues with my Leopord install on the GA-965P-DS3. Specifically, when the monitor (not the PC) goes into sleep mode, and I move the mouse to wake it the display comes back, but all I end up seeing is the wallpaper. The OS controls never appear. I have to reboot to regain control.

I'm thinking this may have something to do with my video driver if the OSX has to someone restart the driver after I wake the monitor. I have a Geforce 8600 GTS, for which I installed the video drivers using EFIStudio.

Anyone have ideas?

Thanks

• 1 year later...