[HOWTO] Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 + osx 10.4.7/10.4.8 JaS

thedguy

348 posts in this topic

See Page 3 for JaS 10.4.8 guide.

damn this thing is getting sloppy.

Credit for this guide needs to be given to ConroeMac, SABR and finally the (I assume with a name like Diego) man who proves that even the new guys can do just as good as the experienced Diego Sampaio... for trying out the purple Gigabyte/JMB363 ports with an Sata HD. I and I think SABR and ConroeMac all assumed they wouldn't work since the IDE ports work off of this controller as well (and they don't work).

=========

------

=========

This guide uses 10.4.7 Jas. You’ll need the network patch for samba/appletalk to work properly.

This is a supplement to the regular install guides. I.e. you'll want a copy of the many guides in the wiki/osx86 bible thread in the sticky @ the top of this forum section

Motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-965
P
-DS3. Beauty of this board is LAN/PS2/USB all function out of the box. Audio is a simple edit.

Note
: There is also a GA-965
G
, which has onboard Intel video, no

one has tried this board out, your own with this one.

Drives (HD’s and optical):

SATA hard disk*

SATA DVD*

IDE WILL NOT WORK. Simple as that.

If you are desperate to get IDE to work you’ll need an:

SATA to IDE
converter

(Beware of which SATA converter you get as you can buy them to work in the wrong direction.)

Rosewill RC-204
will work fine. I've got this (connected to my dvd-rw) and I believe a few other members do as well.

or

USB to IDE
converter.

The rest of the hardware is up to you, PSU, ram, add-in cards etc…

There are plenty of threads on video cards and I won’t go into that here, that and I really don’t know what does and doesn’t work :D

The downside with this motherboard is anything connected to the ORANGE sata ports will run horribly slow. This is due to running not only in IDE emulation mode, but because the drives then run in PIO mode. Burning with DVD-RW drives in PIO mode can damage the drive.

As far as I'm aware OSX does not like optical drives connected to the Purple SATA ports.

=========

----

=========

Now that you’ve got all the hardware, and in the case, here’s how to plug everything in so it’ll work, and how to setup the BIOS.

First Hook up your SATA Hard Drive to the PURPLE ports on the board.

Then connect your Sata DVD (or IDE converted to SATA drive) to the ORANGE ports.* This is important, the OSX DVD will not be able to even find the disc if it’s on the purple ports.

*If you’re using a USB adapter on your DVD then ignore the whole Orange thing.

Here’s a nice pic of the ports for reference:

0609230358192.JPG

Remember, Yellow DVD, Purple HD.

Your speakers will need to be connected to the Green port or you won’t get audio.

0609230358194.JPG

Notice the port marked green, that’s the one you want to plug your FRONT speakers into.

Now fire up your lovely new system, and hope you didn’t fry the ram (happened to me).

If all goes well you should be able to go on...

=====================

-------------------

=====================

Press DEL and go into the bios.

0609230358191.JPG

See how I marked “Integrated Peripherals” in red? There’s a reason for that, go there.

Set “Sata Port0-3 Native Mode” to “Disabled

You'll get "waiting for root device" errors from the Install dvd because this setting is enabled rather than disabled.

If this is set to enabled, your DVD will not work, same goes for any HD’s that might be connected to these ports.

If you’re not using any drives connected to the Orange port then this setting isn’t important, it only applies to the Orange ports. The Purple ports are controlled by the next setting talked about.

Next, set “Onboard SATA/IDE Device” to “Enabled

And then right below it

Set “Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode” to “AHCI”. (raid is untested and IDE will not work).

Just make sure the parts in red in this screen shot match yours and you should be fine:

0609230407081.JPG

You’ll need to set the boot order so that the CDROM boots before the HD’s. If you’re using a USB adapter on your DVD then you’ll want to set this to “USB-cdrom” instead.

Save the bios settings and throw your OSX install disc and when you get to the point where you can select what to install, if your using a core 2 duo processor, use SSE3 patch and the updates, otherwise follow the normal guides for installing.

You may be stuck with using the built in partitioner (disk utility) to setup your partitions.

Since I dual boot with windows XP, I installed windows first with a 30 gig partition, then inside windows had it make a separate UNFORMATED partition. Then used OSX’s install disc to format the partition. Several times OSX destroyed my drive partitions on me, so I try to avoid using it.

I think ubuntu will be able to see hard drives if they are connected to the ORANGE ports. If you want to use gparted, then try connecting to the Orange ports (with SATA native0-3 mode disabled) and partition that way.

You can also download UBCD (click for link) and use RANISH to make the partitions or set a partition to bootable (incase you get a b0 error).

One MASSIVE downside to this motherboard/chipset is the {censored} support in linux/dos, and makes partitioning a PITA.

=====================

------------

=====================

You should have a working installation of OSX. I'm aware there are gaps, but I did not feel like typing out how to install osx once the cd booted, it's been done time and time again. I may add it later.

Anyway...

Time for a little plagiarism at the expense of ConroeMac and Rammjet

There are several options for these next steps, I made a simple script for fixing reboot and the audio, but if you want to do it manually the info is just blow. The script is at the bottom of this post. Keep in mind there are 2 ways to fix the restart problem. If the first option does work, my script probably won't (or it may if your just having issues with typos), you can try the post further down this page.

Fix Audio:

1. Delete AppleHDA.kext:
In Terminal, type: sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
2) Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext:
In Terminal, type: sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist
Search for (use hotkey= ctrl + w):
<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>
change the string to:
<string>0x10ec0883</string>
Exit pico
sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist
Search for (use hotkey= ctrl + w):
<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
change the string to:
<string>0x284b8086</string>
Exit pico
3) Clean up the system:
In Terminal, type: sudo diskutil repairpermissions /
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/
4) Then, reboot and enjoy sound out of two channels.

Fix Reboot:

2 methods, if the first don't work, load the old kernel, and try the 2nd.

Both methods worked fine for me, the 1st is much simpler.

cd /

sudo -s

cp mach_kernel mach_kernel.backup

printf '\260\376\346\144' | dd if=/dev/stdin of=mach_kernel bs=1 count=4 oseek=578235 conv=notrunc

OR you can try my post further down this thread. It's more complicated but it may work better, it may not.

======+++++++++++++=========

======Getting IDE to work=========

======+++++++++++++=========

You can get IDE to work

You will still have to get a working install with a USB or SATA DVD before this will work.

Due to the unique nature of our systems, you will NOT (with 10.4.8 or older) be able to run OSX or it's install dvd from the IDE on these boards. It is a fact of life.

Many thanks goes to Julian for finding the Vendor/Device ID's.

The parts in RED are the parts to be added.

My SATA and PATA-DVD-Writer, both connected to the JMicron controller work perfect, and the IDE-Burner is connected without SATA-Converter to the green IDE connector.

Here is what i did exactly.

I editet /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/contents/info.plist:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/contents/info.plist

then search for:

<key>VIA SATA Controller</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleVIAATA</string>

<key>Hardware Name</key>

<string>8237 SATA</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleVIAATARoot</string>

<string>0x2363197B 0x31491106 0x00e310de 0x005410de 0x005510de</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<string>1000</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Serial ATA</key>

<true/>

</dict>

add the vendor and device id marked in red.

edit /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist

then search for

<key>GenericAHCI</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundeIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAHCI</string>

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>

<string>0x2363197B</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>800</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Vendor Name</key>

<string>Generic AHCI</string>

</dict>

change the vendor and device id to the value marked in red.

then do the usual things:

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions && chmod -R 0755 /System/Library/Extensions

diskutil repairpermissions /

shutdown osx, plug the sata and the ide-optical drive to the JMicron and it should work. AHCI or not doesn't matter.

Well this did the job for me, and i hope it works also for those who don´t own a compatible harddisk(like WD or so) which works on the purple ports without patching this files.

I added a little bit to his post. The doubling up of repairing permissions is to make sure everything goes properly. For some reason I had to do this to get the AppleVIAATA.kext to load properly after each reboot.

A note for those with the GA-965p-S3

If your system uses the marvell 8056 rather than the 8053 found on the DS3 try following the instructions below.

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworking.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Info.plist

search for "8053" (no quotes) and replace with "8056" (no quotes)

Then search for "4362" (no quotes) and replace with "4364"

save the file, repair permissions and reboot.

==========++++++++++++===========

------------ My script for after first boot---------------

==========++++++++++++===========

Here's my script, does the same thing as above but in less steps.

This includes the AUDIO, RESTART, & IDE fix.

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
sudo perl -pi -e 's/0x31491106/0x2363197B 0x31491106/g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist
sudo perl -pi -e 's/0x01060100/0x2363197B/g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist
sudo perl -pi -e 's/0x10ec0880/0x10ec0883/g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist
sudo perl -pi -e 's/0x26688086/0x284b8086/g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist
printf '\260\376\346\144' | sudo dd if=/dev/stdin of=/mach_kernel bs=1 count=4 oseek=578235 conv=notrunc
sudo diskutil repairpermissions /
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

Open a terminal, and type "nano audio-restart-fix" and paste the above code into it.

Press "ctrl+o" and then yes.

type "chmod a+rwx audio-restart-fix" and then type "./audio-restart-fix"

The restart fix won't work until the osx has rebooted. So finish anything else you want to do (like install video) and then shutdown, and turn the system back on, you should be running fine.

You should now have full functioning IDE support.

++++++++++============++++++++++++

========== Troubleshooting ============

++++++++++============++++++++++++

Q: I keep getting "still waiting for root device"!!!!

A: Connect your drives to the connectors farthest from the ide port. I have trouble from time to time if I connect any drives to the 2 orange ports closest to the ide connect.

Thanks for the responses. I actually felt it was poorly setup. It was intended to be posted in 3 seperate posts but the forum insisted on combining them.

If anyone notices anything else that should be made a little more obvious with bolding or something please say so. I've tried to make this easy to skim.

JP266one: That was suppost to be drive. I've burned discs in PIO mode before and they came out fine, but I've heard from quite a few people over the years that it can cause drive failure. I've never been one to try and prove the theory only because it's so damn slow to burn.

Thanks for the responses. I actually felt it was poorly setup. It was intended to be posted in 3 seperate posts but the forum insisted on combining them.

If anyone notices anything else that should be made a little more obvious with bolding or something please say so. I've tried to make this easy to skim.

JP266one: That was suppost to be drive. I've burned discs in PIO mode before and they came out fine, but I've heard from quite a few people over the years that it can cause drive failure. I've never been one to try and prove the theory only because it's so damn slow to burn.

actually it didnt feel that slow but i never keep watching, I go do something else. Also encodes cd around 20x what seems good to me.

I will try to use RAID 1 with 2*250GB WD disks.

Report comming as soon as I have received the rest of my hardware.

I am however a complete n00b at this, so if it doesnt work, i dont realy know what settings/parameters to mess with.

And thank you very much fo rthis brilliant howto.. now i dont have to re-read the hole thread 1000 times to try to understand every step included.

I decided to split the other fix for the Reboot issue in a seperate post. I didn't like that extremely long single post. Plus this way is more involved than the other way, and I've had no trouble with either option.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...xedit&st=20

1. Open a terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal).

2. Type the following:

cp /mach_kernel ~/Desktop/mach_kernel

cp /mach_kernel ~/Desktop/mach_kernel_noacpi

3. Download this: 0xED.

4. Install it and run it.

5. Click File -> open by path.

6. Enter the path: /Volumes/<your root disk here>/<your username here>/Desktop/mach_kernel

7. You will see the kernel in hex.

8. Click in the box labelled offset. Type 8D2B8

9. The cursor will move to the correct line.

10. Find the letters EB FE 90 90

11. Replace them with B0 FE E6 64.

12. Save and exit

13. Go back to the terminal

14. Type:

sudo cp ~/Desktop/mach_kernel /

<type your password>

Now type

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

The boot plist file will open. Find the section <string></string> and insert Platform=ACPI so the line looks like this:

<string>Platform=ACPI</string>

Save and exit by pushing Ctrl+X then Y.

15. Now shutdown your computer. When you have restarted it, the shutdown and restart options should both work.

This only works on the 10.4.4 kernel supplied with Myzar's 10.4.4/10.4.5 disk, and Jas' 10.4.6 (I think!). Bottom line check what you're replacing before you do it. If it doesn't match, don't do it!!

Hex editing your kernel without being sure what you are doing is a sure recipe for disaster. If your language is a barrier to understanding the above, I suggest you leave it alone and put up with the problem. If you are still keen, use a fresh install or at least ensure you have backed up your system.

If things do break, try booting from the mach_kernel_noacpi in your Desktop, or copy the kernel back from your boot DVD.

** This information reproduced from a post by TokyoVigilante at this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...xedit&st=60

If you have questions about this technique or how to uninstall in case of a problem, consult that thread.

*** Personal Notes: Be very careful when using 0xED to align everything correctly. If you simply type in the values for the hex, it will push the code forward and ruin your mach_kernel! Make sure you delete before you insert and watch to make sure that you have exactly replaced the old code.

This is confirmed working with 10.4.6 Jas on my system. As well as 10.4.7 Jas.

I have now tested installing on 2*WD 250gb in RAID0 config, and it doesnt work.. simple as that..

Nothing shows up in disk manager when trying to install.

is there any other way to try it? (perhaps with a precreated partition or something..)

I am still very new to osX86.

Otherwise i guess i am still stuck at using my old celeron 1800 for osX :)

I have now tested installing on 2*WD 250gb in RAID0 config, and it doesnt work.. simple as that..

is there any other way to try it? (perhaps with a precreated partition or something..)

Otherwise i guess i am still stuck at using my old celeron 1800 for osX :pirate2:

That's it.

This just backs up my theory that this doesn't work with WD SATA HDD's...

Otherwise i guess i am still stuck at using my old celeron 1800 for osX :idea:

Since you have a celeron box, you obviously know how to partition the drives...

Have you tested just 1 drive with the bios set to AHCI to make sure the OS even see's the drives?

Thanks for the audio fix (Forgot who it was, on the first pages) it worked perfectly.

I have to reinstall OSX though because the macvidia drivers killed it but I should be fine without them as it's fast as hell.

My LAN wasn't working but I'm going to try one of those DEVICEID fixes and see how it goes.

I was doing it on the F4 bios but I updated to F6 and off I go to reinstall.

My LAN wasn't working but I'm going to try one of those DEVICEID fixes and see how it goes.

Have you checked the Gigabyte thread in the Hardware section yet?

There is a guy who posted how to get it working. Not sure if it works, but it's worth a try... :)

Since you have a celeron box, you obviously know how to partition the drives...

Have you tested just 1 drive with the bios set to AHCI to make sure the OS even see's the drives?

hmm.. nope, never tested, because that config is not interesting for me, but i can try tonight just to give you some feedback.

I followed the Device ID fix and got it working but for others there's even some drivers provided or something ! Anyway, I'll write what I did below in case others need to do it too. Thanks SABR for the tip.

What I did to fix the onboard LAN chip as mine didn't work from the get-go.

1) Find the Device ID in Windows; it should be 4364 for everyone /w this motherboard so you can skip this step though double-check if you want.

2) Go into terminal and type/copy:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Find the following line:

And replace the string below it with:

<string>0x436411AB</string>

Save the file & exit.

/* The next step (3) was in the guide I originally followed but the files weren't found, but try it anyway and if they aren't found, continue on */

3) Go into terminal again and delete the following lines, so type/copy again.

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

4) Repair permissions, so stay in terminal and type/copy:

diskutil repairPermissions /

5) Reboot.

^ That worked for me, if it doesn't for you I may have made a small error llike a bad backslash but it seems fine.

Now all I have left to do is the reboot fix & get the change resolution working and it will be perfect. :D

I installed OS X via a VMWare native install (Couldn't get any converters or anything for my DVD drive), should I write a tutorial for that with this mobo ? It won't be drastically different from the VMWare native install tutorial floating around but there are a few specific things I had to do to get it working.

Now all I have left to do is the reboot fix & get the change resolution working and it will be perfect. :)

I installed OS X via a VMWare native install (Couldn't get any converters or anything for my DVD drive), should I write a tutorial for that with this mobo ? It won't be drastically different from the VMWare native install tutorial floating around but there are a few specific things I had to do to get it working.

Would be most welcome - I'm looking into this board and the more backup plans (in the case of inevitable difficulties) the better! What you just wrote was succinct and clear.. thanks a lot!

Has the hard disk speed issue been solved? My impression was that OSX does not support the southbridge of this chipset, causing sluggish hard disk access speeds?

Can you post Xbench results for hard disk speed?

Motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-965
P
-DS3. Beauty of this board is LAN/PS2/USB all function out of the box. Audio is a simple edit.

Has the hard disk speed issue been solved? My impression was that OSX does not support the southbridge of this chipset, causing sluggish hard disk access speeds?

Can you post Xbench results for hard disk speed?

Yes, it has. You need to put the SATA HDD into the Purple SATA ports, so it goes through the JMicron JMB363 chip. Read the 1st post of this topic to get the full overview on how to get it working. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Guys, i had installed osx on another computer and then moved the hdd to my computer. Shouldn't it supposed to work?

is still saying "Wating for root device"

Is it an PATA/IDE drive? Have you made the correct BIOS changes?