best nVidia video card with HDMI and audio

AlpineRaven

14 posts in this topic

G'day guys,

Hope you can direct me to right direction - I am after a new nVidia card with HDMI and audio so i can connect to the TV as I want to use my hackintosh to play movies on main TV (as like HTPC setup)

So.... is there a card that will be easy to setup including DSDT - I'm very poor in editing DSDT as I am not a programmer, even tried following it...

Cheers

AP

G'day guys,

Hope you can direct me to right direction - I am after a new nVidia card with HDMI and audio so i can connect to the TV as I want to use my hackintosh to play movies on main TV (as like HTPC setup)

So.... is there a card that will be easy to setup including DSDT - I'm very poor in editing DSDT as I am not a programmer, even tried following it...

Cheers

AP

Any of the Nvidia 6xx graphics cards are native in ML and work with GE=Y or N. Important note; all Nvidia 6xx with PCIe 3.0 are Kepler (recommended) while 6xx with PCIe 2.0 are rebranded Fermi. The HDMI audio dsdt edit is mandatory in OS X and is the same for all Nvidia graphics cards. In ML, onboard audio does not need to be working for HDMI audio to work. Pick the Nvidia 6xx that has the most performance for your budget.

I stand by the statement in my post. What dsdt/HDEF/layout-id are you using in ML?

Its not true. Its a requierment in AppleHDA. Onboard must load. Tested on ALC883,885,887,889,892, 898, and VIA 2010 (I Think That is the right one). If AppleHDA is not loaded for Onboard HDMI audio will not work with the ML kext. What version of AppleHDA are you using.

Its not true. Its a requierment in AppleHDA. Onboard must load. Tested on ALC883,885,887,889,892, 898, and VIA 2010 (I Think That is the right one). If AppleHDA is not loaded for Onboard HDMI audio will not work with the ML kext. What version of AppleHDA are you using.

The native AppleHDA.kext_v2.3.0 and AppleHDA.kext_v2.3.1 provide working HDMI audio (assuming, correct HDMI audio dsdt edits ) with the above codecs and ANY other codec in ML. AppleHDA.kext_v1.7.9 through AppleHDA.kext_v2.2.0 require working onboard audio for HDMI audio to work in SL and Lion. If you are not getting ML HDMI audio with either native ML AppleHDA.kext, reply with an IOReg.

• 1 month later...

My unit is a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 with HD4870 card and Mountain Lion.

I am thinking of getting an EVGA GTX 670 915MHz 2048MB (GTX 670 02G-P4-2670-KR). The motherboard has PCIe 2.0 while the card is PCIe 3.0, so is it compatible?

UPDATE: I just read that PCIe 3.0 can fall back to PCIe 2.0 so I guess this part is OK.

Also, with HD4870 I only need to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes. With the proposed card, do you guys think it is compatible out of the box?

Thanks for any advise.

Cheers!

Edited by aikidoka25

• 1 month later...

The native AppleHDA.kext_v2.3.0 and AppleHDA.kext_v2.3.1 provide working HDMI audio (assuming, correct HDMI audio dsdt edits ) with the above codecs and ANY other codec in ML. AppleHDA.kext_v1.7.9 through AppleHDA.kext_v2.2.0 require working onboard audio for HDMI audio to work in SL and Lion. If you are not getting ML HDMI audio with either native ML AppleHDA.kext, reply with an IOReg.

Can you help me to enable HDMI audio of GTX 550Ti in 10.8.3 or 10.7.5 ?

I have followed your advice to try several versions of AppleHDA.kext with proper patch for 550 Ti, but all in vain.

My attached files (DSDT.aml & IORegistry Data) are posted at :

http://www.insanelym...ga-965p-ds4-mb/

Can you help me to enable HDMI audio of GTX 550Ti in 10.8.3 or 10.7.5 ?

I have followed your advice to try several versions of AppleHDA.kext with proper patch for 550 Ti, but all in vain.

The GTX 550 ti has a peculiar problem which makes it incompatible for HDMI audio with Lion and Mountain. Look at IOReg/PEGP/GFX0/NVDA,Display-B@01/audio-codec-index=4. The valid indexes are 0, 1, 2 and 3 as you can see attached to HDAU. No idea where the problem occurs or how to change it. There is a work around; use the Snow Leopard 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext_v1.7.9. The was the first AppleHDA.kext to 1. support Nvidia HDMI audio codecs and 2. not validate Nvidia HDMI audio codecs. Search for Interim Realtek Ivy Bridge AppleHDA. With your current dsdt/HDEF/layout-id, you should have onboard 888 audio. For GTX 550 ti HDMI audio,

edit AppleHDA binary:

find: 14 00 de 10

replace: 15 00 de 10 (4x)

Save, install and restart.

Note: 1. works without onboard audio and 2. enables HDMI audio on GTS 450 and GTX 550 ti.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

After re-use of that patched version (1.7.9) again miracle happened !

Both on board internal speaker (AL-888) and HDMI audio output are working now.

Before that only added HDAEnabler.kext I can get ALC-888 working for its internal speaker.

But still no luck for HDMI audio.

I mean there is HDMI audio in System Information (About this Mac), but no HDMI audio in System Preferences.

Thanks again for your intelligent and kind help which solved my problem eventually !

But IOResgistry still showed IOReg/PEGP/GFX0/NVDA,Display-B@01/audio-codec-index=4.

In System Information/Audio(About this Mac) there is Built-In HDMI Output instead of previous HDMI audio.

In System Preferences I can select both internal speaker and HDMI audio now.

I don't know why.

But IOResgistry still showed IOReg/PEGP/GFX0/NVDA,Display-B@01/audio-codec-index=4.

In System Preferences I can select both internal speaker and HDMI audio now.

I don't know why.

IOReg will always show IOReg/PEGP/GFX0/NVDA,Display-B@01/audio-codec-index=4, because the problem is not solved. The vintage AppleHDA.kext does not use that value; it always uses audio-codec-index=1.

Isn't selectecting both internal speaker and HDMI audio good?

Reply with a new copy of IOReg.