Need .png files from a Mac Pro ML

tbplayer

13 posts in this topic

I have ML working well from a Niresh12495 install, but some original image files and been replaced by the build author and I'd like to restore the original files. So I'm hoping that someone can post or PM me with these files:

System/Library/StartupItems/Logo/Resources/MacOSX.png

System/Library/StartupItems/Logo/Resources/MacOSX@2x.png

Extra/Themes/Default/background.png

Thanks! :)

• Like 1

true, those files don't exist ( I have vanilla 10.8.2 installation )

Extra/Themes/Default/background.png is boot loader theme file you can change by installing chameleon theme of your choice

Extra/Themes/Default/background.png is boot loader theme file you can change by installing chameleon theme of your choice

Yes, I suspected that might be the case. I found an Apple logo and changed the background to that.

I wondering if you might search your system for the other two files (MacOSX.png and MacOSX@2.png). One of them changes the logo in About This Mac and I'd like to have the default image for a Mac Pro instead of the modified image that was included with this setup.

If those logos are in startup items, have a look at what's loading them. There may be some kind of app running that replaces the Finder images as that's not where they're supposed to be. Check the login items in the accounts section of system prefs or the startup items in system profiler.

Otherwise, try deleting the pngs from System/Library/StartupItems, reboot and see what happens.

Or you can overwrite them with the original files. They're in /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/Resources.

• Like 1

Riley Freeman is right. Those files shod not be there. I guess your install method is the one to blame.

Methods like T....M.. and the one you used are tempting and may appear easy, but they can back fire with head hike same way as saturday night after one shoot too much.

Please read my, as good as vanilla, HOW-TO Altho is hardware specific, it can be easily adapted for any PC.

Happy iHacking!

If those logos are in startup items, have a look at what's loading them. There may be some kind of app running that replaces the Finder images as that's not where they're supposed to be. Check the login items in the accounts section of system prefs or the startup items in system profiler.

Otherwise, try deleting the pngs from System/Library/StartupItems, reboot and see what happens.

Or you can overwrite them with the original files. They're in /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/Resources.

Thanks for the original file location. :)

There is an app called "Logo" in S/L/StartupItems (and also listed in sys info Startup Items). I didn't know if I could just remove it from the StartupItems directory, or if that would cause problems (if it doesn't cause problems to just remove the files I would just as soon delete it, although I don't know what else "Logo" does).

In the Logo/Resources directory are the custom files (MacOSC.png and MacOSX@2.png) and if I replace those with the original files then About This Computer has the default look...

Except that the original files read "Mac OS X"... I thought that the "Mac" part was dropped in Mountain Lion?

The original files here just say "OS X". It's starting to sound like that distro you used has been tampered with a bit too much.

I reckon you should be able to move that logo app out of /S/L/StartupItems. I can't see how it could be anything other than an injector of some kind.

• Like 1

The original files here just say "OS X". It's starting to sound like that distro you used has been tampered with a bit too much.

Well, the more I used it the more issues I came across. I was never able to resolve the video issue, I kept getting random KPs, and at one point I lost the ability to see the local network. So I decided to try a new install using this guide, and it worked wonderfully! I now have the correct files ("OS X") and the video is working normally.

Thanks for your help. :)

Nice. It's always best to avoid those distros when you can.

The attraction of the Niresh2495 build is that you can create your boot USB drive on a Windows computer - you don't need another Mac to create the boot drive, and Niresh12495 also includes what appears to be his own version of U**B**** that allows a user to customize during the installation, so with knowledge of your hardware you can get a working hackintosh pretty simply. Someone here on this forum recently made a guide for this distro, and I can appreciate that this disto seems attractive.

Unfortunately, as i found out, the changes to the OS made by Niresh12495 seem to cause more problems down the road - you may be able to set up your system quickly, but the time spend trying to resolve issues like sound or especially QE/CI makes this build quite expensive, time-wise.

Now, I'm really enjoying a stable, fully-functional, and smoothly running OS. As I mentioned in another thread, using tseug's guide gave me the best and simplest OX S installation I've had in two years of hackintoshing!