Restore MacOS on not Mac PC from clone of HDD

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I ask you to help. I was an owner of MacBook Pro. It happens so that I remained only with the not Mac PC. But I made backup of my disk with clonezilla. I need to get access to my working Mac OS system, but I don't know how to do this with not Mac PC. Is it possible to virtualize such system from a clone of the disk or to make Hackintosh? If it is possible, how it can be done? I hope that you will have time answer to me and you know how to solve my problem.

Hello, I ask you to help. I was an owner of MacBook Pro. It happens so that I remained only with the not Mac PC. But I made backup of my disk with clonezilla. I need to get access to my working Mac OS system, but I don't know how to do this with not Mac PC. Is it possible to virtualize such system from a clone of the disk or to make Hackintosh? If it is possible, how it can be done? I hope that you will have time answer to me and you know how to solve my problem.

It might work. Create a new OSX guest in VMware. You will need to use have a Clonezilla ISO image attached to the guest, and the backup image accessible to the guest.

If you only need to read-only access the data on that HDD, then official HFS+ driver from Apple (included in bootcamp) would do.

A virtual machine would be needed if you need a safe read/write access or do some simple tasks.

If you need to work like you did with your Mac, then the best solution would be to use it as a base for hackintosh. Though depending on the hardware you have (I mean your PC), it might or might not be difficult. As usual in such cases "your mileage may very".

BTW, OS X can be booted not only on the Mac it was installed and used, but on a different Mac too (even of the different model). Say a HDD from MacBook can be booted on iMac or MacBook Pro... Windows JUST CAN'T DO THIS!