[AMD] {GUIDE} Install Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

woellie123

33 posts in this topic

Hello and welcome to this tutorial how to install and update Snow Leopard on the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 / UD5 / UD7.

This is my first tutorial so please leave a comment if I can improve things or if you have tips.

Please note: English is not my primary language so grammar could be wrong sometimes!

First a bit of a backstory. I've been trying to install hackintosh on this board now for 2 weeks and I just got everything working. Only the sound is a bit weird (only if you don't move your mouse, but when skype is open nothing is wrong).

So I took some pictures to make a guide. Sorry about the picture quality, I don't have the best camera.

FOR THE PHOTOS GO TO: http://imageshack.us/g/1/9853896/

Let's get started.

You'll need to download the Hazard OS X 10.6.2 (you will find it using google) and burn it to a disk.

*If you want to install it on a internal hard disk you may want to set in the bios the hdd to AHCI mode, if you want to install it to an external hdd, then you don't have to do this*

1. Boot from DVD and use the bootflags: -v busratio=20 cpus=1

2. Goto Disk Utility and format the drive you want to install Mac OS X on.

3. Click on continue and agree, then choose youre drive and click continue.

4. Click on customize.

5. Select the following:

Kernels: legacy_kernel_10.2.0

AMD_Patch

Graphic_drivers: Choose you're videocard (some cards will be supported if you upgrade to 10.6.8 like mine ATI Radeon HD 5770)

Audio_Drivers: Nothing, we will use a kext after the installation.

Chipset_Drivers_And_Injectors: ATIATA

Networking: Select your wireless card (DON'T use the RT73 it will cause errors) for LAN we will have to install it afterwards.

SATA_ATA_Fix: Legacy_AHCI_SATA_Fix

Patches: About_This_Mac_Fix

EvOreboot

PS2 (if you have a ps2 keyboard/mouse)

Additional: Additional Fonts

Rosetta

QuickTime 7

X11

6. Click kon Done and Install. Click on Skip if it's checking the DVD.

7. Wait for the install to complete, after that, reboot and boot from the harddisk you've installed Mac OS X on.

8. Use the -v bootflag to see if there are any errors (If you did everything right then that shouldn't be the case)

9. Once you're in the welcome screen and your ps2 keyboard/mouse doesn't work, then just replug the connector behind your computer and it works again.

10. Then choose you're country and keyboard layout.

11. Choose: Do not transfer my information now.

12. Connect to the internet (wireless) or choose: My computer does not connect to the internet.

13. by Registration Information don't fill anything and click on Continue, and click Continue again.

14. Create your account and click on Continue. Choose a profile picture and click on Continue.

15. Click on: Register later.

16. Set up your timezone and click Done.

The installation is now complete!

Updating to 10.6.8

The update process is simple. Follow these steps:

1. Download the 10.6.8 Combo Update from the Apple site (click)

2. Download the Legacy_Kernel-10.8.0.v2 (click) (this is not from the Nawcom blog becouse it's down at the moment)

3. Install the Combo Update and DON'T RESTART!

4. Now install the Legacy_Kernel. Don't force 64 bit.

5. Now reboot and boot with -v -f.

6. If everything goes well, you should end up with a working Mac OS X 10.6.8!

You dont have to boot with -v or -f anymore, only if you have installed/removed a new kext.

Installing the sound and LAN

The Audio was a bit tricky to get, and it doesn't work without problems. Like when you don't move the mouse crackling can start to begin. But when you have skype open (maybe other programs to) I don't have any problem.

LAN was easy to get working. Just follow these steps.

LAN:

1. Download RTL81xx OS X Driver (click)

2. Install the driver.

3. Reboot with -v. If there are no errors and you was able to boot back into OS X then LAN should be working!

Audio:

1. Go on google and find the VoodooHDA 0.2.1

2. Open and install the package.

3. Reboot with -v. Sound should be working now, frontpanel or backpanel.

Congratulations! You now got yourself a working hackintosh!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great tutorial, it's nice to see that I've found someone who is working on trying to get Hackintosh on the AMD 9 Series. Do you think this would work on the ASUS M5A97 Motherboard? The reason I ask is that I've been trying for ages to get it installed on my machine and was thinking, as they use the same series would it work?

Also, which bootloader did you use? I've tried several in the last failed attempts but each one fails to boot into OSX.

Thanks,

Whale

Great tutorial, it's nice to see that I've found someone who is working on trying to get Hackintosh on the AMD 9 Series. Do you think this would work on the ASUS M5A97 Motherboard? The reason I ask is that I've been trying for ages to get it installed on my machine and was thinking, as they use the same series would it work?

Also, which bootloader did you use? I've tried several in the last failed attempts but each one fails to boot into OSX.

Thanks,

Whale

Yes, I think it should work. LAN should work with the package I use in this tutorial, and I think Audio will work fine to.

Just give it a try. If there are any errors, post them here and I will try to answer them.

Good luck :star_sunglasses:

Woellie123

Yes, I think it should work. LAN should work with the package I use in this tutorial, and I think Audio will work fine to.

Just give it a try. If there are any errors, post them here and I will try to answer them.

Good luck :star_sunglasses:

Woellie123

Cheers fella, will give it a go once I get chance. I think I had a LAN kext already but I would just need audio. Will try it and get back to you!

Peace out.

EDIT: Does yours boot fully without a bootdisk?

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers fella, will give it a go once I get chance. I think I had a LAN kext already but I would just need audio. Will try it and get back to you!

Peace out.

EDIT: Does yours boot fully without a bootdisk?

Sorry for the late reaction! :(

Yes, my hackintosh boots fully without a bootdisk.

I first downloaded Hazard OS X 10.6.2 over here:

http://1337x.org/tor...tel-AMD-Hazard/

I successfully burned it onto a DVD and put it in my PC (I have a Gigabyte 990FXA-D3 motherboard).

I booted up, went to BIOS and changed HDD mode from Native IDE into AHCI.

Then I boot again and it boots the dvd, it says the following:

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132

16354MB memory

VESA v3.0 16MB (ATI ATOMBIOS)

Use arrowkeys to select the startup volume.

hd(111,0) Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard

Press Enter to start up Darwin/x86 with no options, or you can:

Type -v and press Enter to start up with diagnostic messages

Type ? and press Enter to learn about advanced startup options

boot:

--------------------------

I type in -v busratio=20 cpus=1

then it reboots and it starts over...

if I type only -v it reboots as well

when I click hd(111,0) Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard it reboots too

if I type ? it reboots as well...

what am I doing wrong? Can you please help me?

Full system setup:

Gigabyte 990FXA-D3

16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

2x ATI Radeon 4850 HD 512MB

AMD FX-6100 processor

thanks in forward, I really need OS X :)

I first downloaded Hazard OS X 10.6.2 over here:

http://1337x.org/tor...tel-AMD-Hazard/

I successfully burned it onto a DVD and put it in my PC (I have a Gigabyte 990FXA-D3 motherboard).

I booted up, went to BIOS and changed HDD mode from Native IDE into AHCI.

Then I boot again and it boots the dvd, it says the following:

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132

16354MB memory

VESA v3.0 16MB (ATI ATOMBIOS)

Use arrowkeys to select the startup volume.

hd(111,0) Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard

Press Enter to start up Darwin/x86 with no options, or you can:

Type -v and press Enter to start up with diagnostic messages

Type ? and press Enter to learn about advanced startup options

boot:

--------------------------

I type in -v busratio=20 cpus=1

then it reboots and it starts over...

if I type only -v it reboots as well

when I click hd(111,0) Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard it reboots too

if I type ? it reboots as well...

what am I doing wrong? Can you please help me?

Full system setup:

Gigabyte 990FXA-D3

16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

2x ATI Radeon 4850 HD 512MB

AMD FX-6100 processor

thanks in forward, I really need OS X :)

You can try booting with -v -f -x busratio=20 cpus=1 maxmem=16384 (you can try -v -f only, if it doesn't work, try to add one of the other bootflags).

Good luck :)

You can try booting with -v -f -x busratio=20 cpus=1 maxmem=16384 (you can try -v -f only, if it doesn't work, try to add one of the other bootflags).

Good luck :)

Unfortunately it didn't work.. did you check the link where I downloaded it and is that the correct one (I just googled Hazard OS X 10.6.2 so..)

I also tried:

-v -f cpus=1 busratio=15 arch=i386 PCIRootUID=1

-v cpus=1 busratio=15 arch=i386

-v busratio=15 cpus=1

I also tried removing 12GB of RAM (3x 4GB RAM) and left (1x) 4GB RAM inside the computer and tried the following command:

-v -f cpus=1 busratio=15 arch=i386 PCIRootUID=1 maxmem=4096

Im now redownloading the Hazard OS X 10.6.2 ...

(This one: Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard(byxta.pp.ua) via http://bitsnoop.com/...-q20521500.html )

I don't think it's dumb at all! You buy a copy of Snow Leopard from Apple, download a installer utility, either ModCD or MyHack, thank follow the steps for the installation and enjoy. Simple as that.

Best regards!

Thanks, I found this http://www.osx86.net/desktops/9746-guide-os-x-10-6-amd.html guide, only problem: it says that radeon onder than 5xxx and 6xxx are trial and error. I dont know wether my 4850 will work it not, Apple used to habe 4850s couple of years ago.

Now all I need to do is find a retail snow leopard for this, its not in stock anymore at most shops, I'll try to find one online

HI @ll

first:

The BIOS settings for Gigabyte board GA-990 FXA-UD3 are:

boots the computer and go into the BIOS

activate the default settings and save and restart the PC!

than go again into the BIOS again and makes the following changes:

Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) : Leave everything on default!

Standard CMOS Features: Here too the Lion HDD placed in the first place, it should be otherwise, then turn off the computer and put the SATA cable to the correct position. DVD drive can also be placed in front of the Lion HDD are (there are no error messages when booting). The other HDD's need to be placed on the other positions, otherwise, an error message occurs when booting -> AppleUSBOHCI ... still waiting for root device.l

Advanced BIOS Features: AMD C1E [Disabled]

Virtualization [Enabled]

AMD 8 Col & Q. [Auto]

Hard Disk Boot Priority under the OS X HDD must be positioned in the first place

Integrated Peripherals: On Chip SATA Controller [Enabled]

On Chip SATA Type [Native IDE]

On Chip SATA 3.0 [Enabled]

F_USB30 Controller [Enabled]

SATA3 Controller [Enabled]

SATA3 Ctrl Mode [AHCI]

ON Board 1394 Function [Disabled] Enabled if it is error message: .... waiting for root device The rest remains

unchanged! ( This setting is only for the first installation very important when you

have all the drivers installed, then you can use this setting to enabled!!!! )

Second:

Installing Snow Leopard is possible only with the nawcom MOD CD !!

see here

either USB or burn to CD and boot from.

I made the best experience with Snow Leopard 10.6.6, you can also take a different version.

Booting with the nawcom CD, then remove nawcom CD, than insert Snow Leopard disc in the drive and hit the F5 key. and booting with the following boot flag:

rd(0,0)/Extra/modbin-kernel -force64 -v -f

with the Disk Utility, the OS X HDD with GUID partition,

Adjusting installation only the most necessary that is, no sound, no network card etc. that you can do to successfully install later.

to patch the AMD binaries, then you must follow the tutorial of akimoa.

see here

So I have installed about 14 months ago my system.

Good luck.!!!

German Tutorial for 10.7.4

Edited by spakk
  • Like 1

HI @ll

first:

The BIOS settings for Gigabyte board GA-990 FXA-UD3 are:

boots the computer and go into the BIOS

activate the default settings and save and restart the PC!

than go again into the BIOS again and makes the following changes:

Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) : Leave everything on default!

Standard CMOS Features: Here too the Lion HDD placed in the first place, it should be otherwise, then turn off the computer and put the SATA cable to the correct position. DVD drive can also be placed in front of the Lion HDD are (there are no error messages when booting). The other HDD's need to be placed on the other positions, otherwise, an error message occurs when booting -> AppleUSBOHCI ... still waiting for root device.l

Advanced BIOS Features: AMD C1E [Disabled]

Virtualization [Enabled]

AMD 8 Col & Q. [Auto]

Hard Disk Boot Priority under the OS X HDD must be positioned in the first place

Integrated Peripherals: On Chip SATA Controller [Enabled]

On Chip SATA Type [Native IDE]

On Chip SATA 3.0 [Enabled]

F_USB30 Controller [Enabled]

SATA3 Controller [Enabled]

SATA3 Ctrl Mode [AHCI]

ON Board 1394 Function [Disabled] Enabled if it is error message: .... waiting for root device The rest remains

unchanged! ( This setting is only for the first installation very important when you

have all the drivers installed, then you can use this setting to enabled!!!! )

Second:

Installing Snow Leopard is possible only with the nawcom MOD CD !!

see here

either USB or burn to CD and boot from.

I made the best experience with Snow Leopard 10.6.6, you can also take a different version.

Booting with the nawcom CD, then remove nawcom CD, than insert Snow Leopard disc in the drive and hit the F5 key. and booting with the following boot flag:

rd(0,0)/Extra/modbin-kernel -force64 -v -f

with the Disk Utility, the OS X HDD with GUID partition,

Adjusting installation only the most necessary that is, no sound, no network card etc. that you can do to successfully install later.

to patch the AMD binaries, then you must follow the tutorial of akimoa.

see here

So I have installed about 14 months ago my system.

Good luck.!!!

German Tutorial for 10.7.4

Do I need retail snow leopard for this or will this work with hazard os x too?

Do I need retail snow leopard for this or will this work with hazard os x too?

Very important are the BIOS settings and the boot flag.

After installation, you have to patch the binaries.

keep it on the tutorials,, unfortunately only in German you can use google translator

it does not matter how you install it. Only the necessary drivers install only refers to hazard etc.

if you have a Retail and have incorporated the chipset drivers for Gigabyte GA990 FXA and sound, networking and graphics then you should of course install with this drivers

Very important are the BIOS settings and the boot flag.

After installation, you have to patch the binaries.

keep it on the tutorials,, unfortunately only in German you can use google translator

it does not matter how you install it. Only the necessary drivers install only refers to hazard etc.

if you have a Retail and have incorporated the chipset drivers for Gigabyte GA990 FXA and sound, networking and graphics then you should of course install with this drivers

At first I have a 990FXA-D3 and not a 990fxa-ud3

I don't have F_USB30 Controller [Enabled] --> mine is called R_USB30 Controller

SATA3 Controller [Enabled] --> I dont have this

SATA3 Ctrl Mode [AHCI] --> I dont have this

ON Board 1394 Function --> I dont have this

I am stuck at:

"Booting with the nawcom CD, then remove nawcom CD, than insert Snow Leopard disc in the drive and hit the F5 key. and booting with the following boot flag: rd(0,0)/Extra/modbin-kernel -force64 -v -f"

After I put in the Hazard OS X disk I get "bootmgr is missing, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot the PC" message

At the moment I removed one videocard, only the EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M videocard from ASUS is connected, only 1 bank of RAM of 4096MB (Corsair Vengeance) is connected, only USB devices are keyboard, mouse, USB Wi-Fi adapter and USB dvd-rom drive/burner (internal broke yesterday...)

Any ideas?

At first I have a 990FXA-D3 and not a 990fxa-ud3

I don't have F_USB30 Controller [Enabled] --> mine is called R_USB30 Controller

SATA3 Controller [Enabled] --> I dont have this

SATA3 Ctrl Mode [AHCI] --> I dont have this

ON Board 1394 Function --> I dont have this

I am stuck at:

That does not matter, same chipset!

First you must Load Optimized defaults! than reboot your computer

Then after booting again boot into the BIOS then activate in "Integrated Peripherals" eSATA3 Ctrl Mode ---> AHCI !!!

But you can AHCI adjust!

and the other settings as I do in my first description written

"Booting with the nawcom CD, then remove nawcom CD, than insert Snow Leopard disc in the drive and hit the F5 key. and booting with the following boot flag: rd(0,0)/Extra/modbin-kernel -force64 -v -f"

After I put in the Hazard OS X disk I get "bootmgr is missing, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot the PC" message

At the moment I removed one videocard, only the EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M videocard from ASUS is connected, only 1 bank of RAM of 4096MB (Corsair Vengeance) is connected, only USB devices are keyboard, mouse, USB Wi-Fi adapter and USB dvd-rom drive/burner (internal broke yesterday...)

Any ideas?

You can only use this boot flag when using nawcom Mod CD!

otherwise boot as described on the first post

That does not matter, same chipset!

First you must Load Optimized defaults! than reboot your computer

Then after booting again boot into the BIOS then activate in "Integrated Peripherals" eSATA3 Ctrl Mode ---> AHCI !!!

But you can AHCI adjust!

You can only use this boot flag when using nawcom Mod CD!

otherwise boot as described on the first post

I did, I burned the nawcom modcd (2nd one from the link in your post. Then I tries as u described in your post and got an error as I described. Then I reset my BIOS to optimal defaults and put mode to AHCI and booted with hazard os x dvd. Used to work a few days ago, I'm back at the beginning :/

I did, I burned the nawcom modcd (2nd one from the link in your post. Then I tries as u described in your post and got an error as I described. Then I reset my BIOS to optimal defaults and put mode to AHCI and booted with hazard os x dvd. Used to work a few days ago, I'm back at the beginning :/

No Problem!!

is the Install DVD ok? Always burn with the lowest rate. otherwise create a OSX Install usb stick.

Just be patient! Gigabyte board is not easy to install, but it works!!!

No Problem!!

is the Install DVD ok? Always burn with the lowest rate. otherwise create a OSX Install usb stick.

It worked 3 days ago when I first started this 'project', I burned it at the highest rate instead of the lowest rate, but the weird thing is that it used to work.

Will a USB 3.0 work for a OSX install usb stick, Im downloading final retail .dmg now, I'll make USB 3.0 32GB GUID partitioned and then restore the .dmg on it so it will be bootable, I hope.

No Problem!!

The DVD worked a few days ago and now it doesn't so that's kind of weird, I think I burned it at the highest speed (8x?) and not at the lowest.

I might try the USB method.

I have a 32GB USB3.0 and I formatted it on my Macbook GUID partition and partitioned it Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as described here: http://www.maciverse.com/install-os-x-snow-leopard-from-usb-flash-drive.html

and I'm downloading this http://pirateproxy.net/torrent/5068890/Mac_OS_X_10.6_Snow_Leopard_(Final_Retail) final retail version of Snow Leopard (.dmg version so I can do 'restore to USB' via the (real) Macbook)

On which SATA connector you've connected your OS X HDD , DVD and NTFS-HDD?

We must consider about why you can not boot!

please place them the OSX HDD on the 4th connector and the NTFS HDD on the 5th Connector. DVD can you be connected to the first three connector. !!!!

The DVD worked a few days ago and now it doesn't so that's kind of weird, I think I burned it at the highest speed (8x?) and not at the lowest.

I might try the USB method.

I have a 32GB USB3.0 and I formatted it on my Macbook GUID partition and partitioned it Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as described here: http://www.maciverse...lash-drive.html

and I'm downloading this http://pirateproxy.n..._(Final_Retail) final retail version of Snow Leopard (.dmg version so I can do 'restore to USB' via the (real) Macbook)

my friend! that works with hazard 10.6.6i to 99,9 percent!

Please test them that:

please place them the OSX HDD on the 4th connector and the NTFS HDD on the 5th Connector. DVD can you be connected to the first three connector. !!!!

ONLY Infomation:

here is the small difference between GA-990FXA-UD3 and GA-990XA-UD3 The chipset is the same, so you can make the same settings!

see here

if you have installed everything, you note my first post and update to Snow Leopard 10.6.8, then install the new AMD Snow Leopard kernel, the kernel is special about this is that he has one emulator SSSE3!

and thus fully 64-bit compatible, this is a new development !!!!!. see here

Inform me about your work

Edited by spakk

On which SATA connector you've connected your OS X HDD , DVD and NTFS-HDD?

We must consider about why you can not boot!

my friend! that works with hazard 10.6.6i to 99,9 percent!

Please test them that:

ONLY Infomation:

here is the small difference between GA-990FXA-UD3 and GA-990XA-UD3 The chipset is the same, so you can make the same settings!

see here

I'm not sure which one is 4th and which one is 5th connector...

The top ones are SATA 3_4 and SATA 3_5 but which one is on the outside? SATA3_5 is on the outside right?

I have another data HDD in my PC, I disconnected it for now, I can always reconnect it after completion.

if you have installed everything, you note my first post and update to Snow Leopard 10.6.8, then install the new AMD Snow Leopard kernel, the kernel is special about this is that he has one emulator SSSE3!

and thus fully 64-bit compatible, this is a new development !!!!!. see here

Inform me about your work

The DVD drive is external, it's via USB so not SATA.

DVD is connected via USB as I said. If I use USB method for the Snow Leopard retail .dmg can I still use USB DVD reader for the nawcom dvd then swap it for the USB stick or...?

The DVD drive is external, it's via USB so not SATA.

DVD is connected via USB as I said. If I use USB method for the Snow Leopard retail .dmg can I still use USB DVD reader for the nawcom dvd then swap it for the USB stick or...?

nawcom USB-Version is here

Edited by spakk