Kernel Panic when inserting USB flash drive (after 10.7.5 update)

kernel panic KP 10.7.5 Lion USB update

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

swparkaust

swparkaust

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
I managed to install 10.7.5 combo update on my computer running iATKOS L2 OS X Lion 10.7.2.
The installation went fine without any problem. After install finished, I ran this script:
http://www.souldevte...n-a-hackintosh/
I was able to successfully boot into 10.7.5 system.
However, one problem has been making me annoying--when I plug in a flash drive, or probably anything USB, my computer immediately throws a kernel panic.
What could be the reason? This was not a problem before I ran the update.

swparkaust

swparkaust

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
I am leaving my configuration here:
Manufacturer: DELL
Model: Vostro 330 AIO
CPU: Intel P6200 @ 2.13GHz
Chipset: Intel HM57
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics (Arrandale) - PCI
Sound: Realtek HD Audio (ALC272)
LAN: Realtek RTL8168/8111
WLAN: Atheros AR9285
RAM: 2GB DDR3

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff
Well, that's why scripts and multi installers can be a problem, figuring what they did, why they did the same 20 things for a core due as an Ivy Bridge, then out of those 20 things, which caused the problem. For an OS update, generally reinstalling audio kexts is about all you need to do. Saw that script included moving IOStorageFamily so it's a likely cause. Use -v when booting to enable verbose boot along with extended error logging, if you KP again, instead of the restart message, the KP backtrace will show on the screen and hopefully show the file causing it. But my guess is listed above.

swparkaust

swparkaust

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for reply eep357 !
I just tried booting with -v flag, and when the desktop appeared I plugged in my flash drive again.
Supposedly KP backtrace log came up, and you're right -- IOStorageFamily.kext was causing the problem.
So, what am I supposed to do at this point?
Would replacing IOStorageFamily.kext with the stock Apple one from 10.7.5 update solve the problem?
I was about to do that but I just want to make sure before I try. I do not want to reinstall OS X over again..

swparkaust

swparkaust

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Great! Tried above, and it worked flawlessly.
Thank you very much.
:)

grillasso

grillasso

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
same problem same crash where can i find a stock /.IOStorageFamily.kext/ 10.7.5 regards

swparkaust

swparkaust

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

same problem same crash where can i find a stock /.IOStorageFamily.kext/ 10.7.5 regards

You can use Pacifist in OS X environment to extract IOStorageFamily.kext from 10.7.5 combo update package.

nithin121

nithin121

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I managed to install 10.7.5 combo update on my computer running hakintosh 10.7.3 but i have same problem occur. how can it fix.
Would replacing IOStorageFamily.kext with the stock Apple one from 10.7.5 update solve the problem ?
If it fix the problem plese discribe the method specifically. please explain your method i need your help as soon as possible

Lanceomni

Lanceomni

infinitemac.com (φοίνιξ) !

• Donators
  • 614 posts
nithin121,

Please provide us with some specifications about your system (CPU, Motherboard, Graphics & Model Number if applicable). Adding more specific information allows us to respond quickly with more precise answers. Chipset, LAN, Audio & If your Graphics are integrated or not, are excellent additions.

You can also place this information in your "Signature". It will then appear on every post you make. This can be done via My Controls: http://forum.insanel...p;hl=signatures

Please follow the rules described in this thread (Most importantly keeping your signature to no more than 5 lines of normal text: http://forum.insanel...p;hl=signatures

With this information, we can point you in the right direction.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kernel panic, KP, 10.7.5, Lion, USB, update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy