Guys, any solution yet?

I am still stuck on that freezing.

infinus

infinus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Unfortunately it doesn't look like anyone cares enough to actually solve this. I've switched out my motherboard for one with a Realtek card. Using the problem board in a Linux server instead. Good luck all.

Svetoslav D

Svetoslav D

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I had managed to make it work and copy files over the local network without freezing.

The problem appeared again after updating the FakeSMC, because I was missing the sensors data in HW monitor.

So I believe there must be relation between the FakeSMC and the ALX kext.

rotoyouoio

rotoyouoio

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I had managed to make it work and copy files over the local network without freezing.

The problem appeared again after updating the FakeSMC, because I was missing the sensors data in HW monitor.

how about discussing your findings with fakesmc authors as well as posting on applelife.ru?

rotoyouoio

rotoyouoio

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

can you elaborate? what version of fakesmc were you using prior to updating it? if english is a problem - по-русски говоришь?

l_zhang

l_zhang

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi, Shailua

I'm usingClover revision: 2563  running on Dell System Inspiron 7420, and the NIC is AR8161.

After installing the driver of version 1.0.2, the device did not work and this log can be found in syslog:

4/18/14 10:51:04.239 AM com.apple.kextd[12]: kext com.insanelymac.ALXEthernet  100029000 is in exception list, allowing to load
4/18/14 10:51:04.000 AM kernel[0]: [ALXEthernet] Error: HW is disabled.
4/18/14 10:51:04.000 AM kernel[0]: [ALXEthernet] Error: Unable to initialise ALX adapter structure.
4/18/14 10:51:04.000 AM kernel[0]: [ALXEthernet] Error: Unable to initialise adapter.

Somedays ago, i used to use Chameleon, and then my NIC worked with your driver, however, when switching to Clover, it does not.

Some suggestion from you? Thanks in advanced.

xenophon

xenophon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Attached File  ALXEthernet.kext compiled for Mavericks.zip   48.13KB   96 downloads

I've compiled Shailua's kext for Mavericks, using the current XCode (settings: "for 10.9", "default C Compiler".

This is working fine for me, on a Z77X-UD5H, and Chameleon. YMMV.

Hope it helps.

rotoyouoio

rotoyouoio

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

attachicon.gifALXEthernet.kext compiled for Mavericks.zip

I've compiled Shailua's kext for Mavericks, using the current XCode (settings: "for 10.9", "default C Compiler".

This is working fine for me, on a Z77X-UD5H, and Chameleon. YMMV.

Hope it helps.

what revision of motherboard do you have? or what chip - ar8151 or ar8161?

sgaap

sgaap

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Im currently running 10.9.2 on a Gigabyte z77x-d3h and I was wondering if there is any development going on for this driver, since this seems to be the only recent one that targets this Atheros nic on osx.

Version 1.0.2 has problems with large SMB data transfers on 10.8 and 10.9 for me and freezes OSX randomly on browser/flash related network activity (sometimes it runs fine for weeks and sometimes it hangs a few times a day), I'm grateful for Shailua's work on this driver but I was just wondering if there is any work going on to stabilize it, ive build it in xcode for 10.9 but that didnt really change anything.

However, I did also test with AtherosL1cEthernet.kext, it builds fine in xcode for 10.9 and runs very smooth: cpu load is fine, sleep is faster (down from 30-40 secs to 10-15 for suspends), SMB and lots of network connections seem to work fine too, been running it for multiple weeks now.

It does however fail in 1 app for me (world of warcraft), where it always either freezes or forces a reboot which makes it rather useless for me, since the logs don't show anything and im rather new to osx when it comes to debugging I can't really see whats causing this and why it works fine in other stress situations but it might be a solution for those that experience random freezes on the Z77x-d3h.

Im probably going to grab a realtek gigabit nic soon anyway but was wondering if I overlooked any solutions for my nic problems.

Zephiris

Zephiris

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hullo all.

People were having problems with this, and since I ended up with a board that has a AR8161 chip in it, I figured I'd see if I could fix it, and I haven't had any panics or other problems yet. I took the 1.0.2 code, and because of xcode code analysis found some memory that wasn't getting released and hence causing the panic/freezes.

I also reduced the number of RX/TX descriptors for latency reasons, but as of course, I'm including the modified code, you can tweak, push, recompile for ML, etc.

At least on my system, it doesn't appear to impact CPU or transfer speed/efficiency usage either way, but does affect latency a little.

I 'torture' tested it on various multi-GB downloads, Steam, game launchers, etc, stuff that would normally kill it within 30 seconds, and it hasn't had any problems for me.

At any rate, it's compiled for Mavericks, 64-bit only, includes the source code so you can recompile it for your own needs. I was getting a freeze every few minutes with 1.0.2, haven't had one in days with this so far. It's not "my" code or project, so I can't really offer any support whatsoever on this, of course. Just thought people with the affected chips might be as eager for something that works as I am. Hopefully it works for everyone else. If it doesn't, I'm sorry, but there's just not much I can do about it. If you're worried, feel free to do a diff and compile it yourself. I'm not fussed.

Attached File  ALXEthernet.zip   184.37KB   14 downloads

Attached File  ALXEthernet-1.0.3.zip   176.01KB   41 downloads

EDIT: 1.0.3 was redone a bit cleaner, uses more defaults, still compiled for 10.9, 64-bit only.

Haven't done as much stress testing on it, but also appears fine.

I discovered on both, using Apple's "Logic Remote" from Wifi (then to ethernet) will kill the driver immediately with "incorrect zfree from zone kalloc.16 to zone kalloc.32".

It's not something I really know anything about, to be honest.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,798 posts

Thank you very much, Zephiris: going to test it on my 1201N and report back here.

All  the best!

sot_22

sot_22

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

hello Zephiris , i had no problem with the previous version with my chip AR8171 and your version works alright too , any improvements and optimizations are welcome :) thank you

reyder

reyder

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Unfortunately still KP on my system randomly and during transfer files via wifi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy