SSE3 on AMD ?

Sapo

28 posts in this topic

I have only SSE2 support on 10.4.7 jas, but a i see people with manual SSE3 install on AMD.

Is this possible ?

Thanks in advance.

Sapo

What processor do you have?

No. The older AMD processors (64, X2 etc.) Doesnt support anything higher than SSE2.

What? I'm pretty sure all of AMD's recent CPU's (within 2 years) have support for SSE3, and that includes the Athlon 64's and X2's :wallbash:

Interesting, my kernel panics with X2 4400+ and SSE3...

Which OSX are you running and with what patches?

W

Myzar Mac OS 10.4.5... everything left on default. I swapped a Venice 3000+ with an X2 4400+ without reinstalling mac os... maybe this is the clue... :)

wich CPU? . i run sse3 in an a643000+ E6 Stepping.

Your CPU will work fine with SSE3

Interesting, my kernel panics with X2 4400+ and SSE3...

Which OSX are you running and with what patches?

W

I too have a 4400+ and SSE3 panics. I've tried installing it during the actual installation of OS X and after OS X is up and running. But the results are the same.

Btw, I'm using the JaS 10.4.7 (same results with JaS 10.4.6 install too)

Hi, I have an AMD X2 3800+ Toledo that supports SSE3 as I can see with CPU-Z

I don't have kernel panic errors with OSX 10.4.7 JAS (AMD Kernel) but in System preferences I can see only SSE2 support... <_<

Leaving everything on default the system is very slow... if I use the command CPUS=1 all is perfect...

By this way I suppose that only one core of the CPU works and only with SSE2...

I hope to find a way to use both CPU's cores and SSE3 instructions... :)

SSE3, also known by its Intel code name Prescott New Instructions (PNI), is the third iteration of the SSE instruction set for the IA-32 architecture. Intel introduced SSE3 in early 2004 with the Prescott revision of their Pentium 4 CPU. In April 2005, AMD introduced a subset of SSE3 in revision E (Venice and San Diego) of their Athlon 64 CPUs. The earlier SIMD instruction sets on the x86 platform, from oldest to newest, are MMX, 3DNow! (developed by AMD), SSE and SSE2.

CPUs with SSE3

* AMD:

o Athlon 64 (since Venice Stepping E3 and San Diego Stepping E4)

o Athlon 64 X2

o Athlon 64 FX (since San Diego Stepping E4)

o Opteron (since Stepping E4)

o Sempron (since Palermo Stepping E3)

o Turion 64

* Intel:

o Celeron D

o Pentium 4 (since Prescott)

o Pentium D

o Intel Core

o Intel Core 2

o Xeon (since Nocona)

* VIA/Centaur:

o C7

* Transmeta

o Efficeon TM88xx (NOT Model Numbers TM86xx)

source: Wikipedia.com

SSE3, also known by its Intel code name Prescott New Instructions (PNI), is the third iteration of the SSE instruction set for the IA-32 architecture. Intel introduced SSE3 in early 2004 with the Prescott revision of their Pentium 4 CPU. In April 2005, AMD introduced a subset of SSE3 in revision E (Venice and San Diego) of their Athlon 64 CPUs. The earlier SIMD instruction sets on the x86 platform, from oldest to newest, are MMX, 3DNow! (developed by AMD), SSE and SSE2.

CPUs with SSE3

* AMD:

o Athlon 64 (since Venice Stepping E3 and San Diego Stepping E4)

o Athlon 64 X2

o Athlon 64 FX (since San Diego Stepping E4)

o Opteron (since Stepping E4)

o Sempron (since Palermo Stepping E3)

o Turion 64

* Intel:

o Celeron D

o Pentium 4 (since Prescott)

o Pentium D

o Intel Core

o Intel Core 2

o Xeon (since Nocona)

* VIA/Centaur:

o C7

* Transmeta

o Efficeon TM88xx (NOT Model Numbers TM86xx)

source: Wikipedia.com

Hi, I just know that my CPU (X2 3800) supports SSE3 instructions... the problem is that OSX uses only SSE2 as I can see in System preferences... I don't know how to enable SSE3 in OSx86 and how to enable both cores of the CPU without decreasing system speed performance.

So I had the same issue with my 3400+ Venice. The system profiler only showed SSE2.

Here's what you can do if you want to see SSE3.

1) Get pacifist

2) Open myzar 10.4.6 DVD with pacifist

3) Install AMD SSE3.pkg

4) Reboot

--After you reboot, you will find that "About this Mac" will likely crash, and that if you have a sound icon, it won't show any volume and when you try to click it, it will disappear. SO...

Fix it with...

5) AMD Enabler

6) Reboot and enjoy SSE3 being displayed on System profiler.

Optional:

6) Since you overwrite your mach_kernel, you will need to edit it in order to get your system to reboot. You can find the solution in this forum. Search the words "System not reboot"

That's what worked for me!

It's really easy for AMD. If you have socket s754 you have SSE2. If you have s939 or AM2 you have SS3.

No no, not true at all..

My 754 3400+ Venice has SSE3

From Wikipedia...

Venice (90 nm SOI)

CPU-Stepping: E3, E6

L1-Cache: 64 + 64 KiB (Data + Instructions)

L2-Cache: 512 KiB, fullspeed

MMX, Extended 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, AMD64, Cool'n'Quiet, NX Bit

Socket 754, 800 MHz HyperTransport (HT800)

Socket 939, 1000 MHz HyperTransport (HT1000)

VCore: 1.35 V or 1.40 V

Power Consumption (TDP): 67 Watt max

First Release: April 4, 2005

Clockrate: 1800 - 2400 MHz

So I had the same issue with my 3400+ Venice. The system profiler only showed SSE2.

Here's what you can do if you want to see SSE3.

1) Get pacifist

2) Open myzar 10.4.6 DVD with pacifist

3) Install AMD SSE3.pkg

4) Reboot

--After you reboot, you will find that "About this Mac" will likely crash, and that if you have a sound icon, it won't show any volume and when you try to click it, it will disappear. SO...

Fix it with...

5) AMD Enabler

6) Reboot and enjoy SSE3 being displayed on System profiler.

Optional:

6) Since you overwrite your mach_kernel, you will need to edit it in order to get your system to reboot. You can find the solution in this forum. Search the words "System not reboot"

That's what worked for me!

I have a current Myzar 10.4.6 install working fine with the 10.4.7 update installed. Can I now download the amdsse3.pkg and install it from within OSX?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I have an AMD64 3000+ (venice Core) and it has SSE3, but OSX is using only upto SSE2 as I can see in the System Profiler

I have a current Myzar 10.4.6 install working fine with the 10.4.7 update installed. Can I now download the amdsse3.pkg and install it from within OSX?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I have an AMD64 3000+ (venice Core) and it has SSE3, but OSX is using only upto SSE2 as I can see in the System Profiler

it should be in your 10.4.6 myzar DVD

just open it with pacifist and you should see it under AMD and INTEL HACKS and CRACKS or something like that

• 3 weeks later...

i have an AMD 64 x2 3800+ and with cpu-z i have SSE3

i have the 10.4.6 jaz install dvd but ive tried installing it with the AMD base patches and AMD SSE2 patches only, and one time with SSE3 as well. both gave me a kernal panic.

which patches and what should i do?

ive followed the install and the computer reboots after installation but i get the b0 error, after searching it up i tried doing the fdisk option, and changing the flag 1 option and it boots. then gives that panic error. this happens when i used only SSE2 and it happened when i used SSE3 as well

i tried all day yesterday, does anyone know what i should do?

and also when i installed OS X i used a separate drive and disconnected my original drive so there is no way i can mess up the drive i pointed to.

thanks for the help