No signal after boot, when using DVI to HDMI cable

ktfn

3 posts in this topic

Hi, guys

I'm having a strange problem with my new hackintosh. GA-H61M-DS2 (rev. 2.2 F7) + Celeron G550 + GeForce 8500 GT, etc. ###### + ######. The system works even without a DSDT and its vanilla DSDT .dsl dump can be compiled without any errors. Still, a used a DSDT with some sound edits, to enable sound with one patched AppleHDA.kext.

Everything pretty much works, sounds, sleep/wake, QE/CI, etc. But there's a problem: I lose display signal after booting the system up, when it's connected via a DVI to HDMI cable.

The video card has a DVI and VGA ports. If I connect a display to it via a VGA port - everything works. If I connect a display to it via a DVI port - everything also works. I can even connect both of displays via a VGA and DVI ports at the same time and both of them will work.

But, if I connect a HDTV to the DVI port via DVI to HDMI cable, than it will show the picture when booting, but will lose signal right before showing the desktop.

If I'll boot the system with a display connected to a VGA port and later connect the cable to the HDTV, the display goes black and loses signal. If I later disconnect the HDTV, the display goes back on.

So... what I know so far: the cable works (tested on multiple systems), this HDTV can get signal through it, the HDMI input on the HDTV is working, this graphic card worked in such a setup (connecting the hackintosh to a HDTV via a DVI to HDMI cable) previously, when it was installed in a different hackintosh with Snow Leopard.

So, any ideas? I'm currently stumped by this situation: how can a display connected to a DVI port work, but a HDTV connected via a DVI to HDMI cable to the same port - not?

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue. I've tried patching DSDT, using NVEnabler, PCIRoot=0 and 1, npci=0x2000 and 0x3000, GraphicsEnabled=yes and no, Graphics Mode 192x1080x32

MOBO is D975XBX2

GFX card 9800 GT 512 MB

DVI works

VGA works

HDMI with DVI adaptor gets no signal.

QE/CI works

Sound works

VNC into machine it freezes about 30 seconds after ML launches (when HDMI is plugged in).

Going to try SwitchResX to force EDID. I use it at work to force resolutions on a KVM system so I'll let you know how it goes.

Otherwise im stumped as well. :/

• 4 months later...

Everything pretty much works, sounds, sleep/wake, QE/CI, etc. But there's a problem: I lose display signal after booting the system up, when it's connected via a DVI to HDMI cable.

The video card has a DVI and VGA ports. If I connect a display to it via a VGA port - everything works. If I connect a display to it via a DVI port - everything also works. I can even connect both of displays via a VGA and DVI ports at the same time and both of them will work.

But, if I connect a HDTV to the DVI port via DVI to HDMI cable, than it will show the picture when booting, but will lose signal right before showing the desktop.

Hey ktfn did you have any luck solving your issue?

I'm stuck with the same problem! I was running leopard with the same setup I have now: GeForce 8500gt (VGA cable to one monitor and dvi-hdmi adapter with hdmi cable to my hdtv) and it worked fine. I upgraded to ML (clean install) and can now only run my VGA cable to my monitor (working) dvi cable to my monitor (working) but when I connect dvi-hdmi adapter it boots up like you said and then I lose signal when the desktop is supposed to appear. I also know all my cables and adapters are in working order because it all works fine when I boot into windows.

I am using graphicsenabler=yes and I have added the key NVCAP_0421 followed by the correct NVCAP string into org.chameleon.Boot.plist (note: the 0421 is my device ID). I had to add this in because GE was forcing the analogue signal out of the s-video port of my graphics card instead of the VGA port. (note: dual screen worked with s-video but was black and white)

Any ideas?

Cheers