Hide wireless utility at startup

iPho

48 posts in this topic

As I said, the AppleScript starts the Wireless application. If you don't want it to start when you boot, remove the AppleScript app from the Login Items. Then to start the Wireless app, either double-click the AppleScript app which will start and hide the Wireless app or double-click the Wireless app which won't be hidden.

You have not understood me, sorry for bad my english.

you should remove the Wireless Network Utility from the Login Items in System Preferences

I cannot see it in the Login Items in System Preferences even if It loads at the startup.

1. When you originally installed the Wireless Utility, did it use an installer? If it did, could you provide me with that installer? That way I can find where it put the startup files.

2. There are several places where startup/login files can exist:

/Library/LaunchAgents

/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/StartupItems

/Users/(you)/Library/LaunchAgents

3. If the autologin of the network utility is active, the AppleScript can't hide it at the right time. It might hide it before it has appeared or after it has been showing for a while. With the AppleScript starting the utility, it can hide it at just the right time.

Edit:

I think the startup file is this one: /Library/LaunchAgents/Wlan.Software

Sorry it is a realtek chipset non Broadcom. I have download the driver here, I don't remeber if it use an installer, I think yes.

Edit: I found the file, I have deleted it and now the app doesn't start at the startup. Now what do I have to do? Only to make the applescript?

The installer tells me where the files get installed, the app doesn't. But that is no longer a problem.

I examined the inside of the Wireless app you uploaded here and found out it was Realtek. Then I searched through Google and found where I could download a v2.0.1 installer. There are several different ones at the Realtek website for different chipsets. I don't know which chipset is yours, but each of the installers seem to install files with the same names.

So, examining the installer, I believe the startup file is:

/Library/LaunchAgents/Wlan.Software

Go to the folder /Library/LaunchAgents and find the file Wlan.Software. Back it up by dragging it to the Desktop and giving your password. Then go back to /Library/LaunchAgents and drag Wlan.Software to the Trash and give your password.

Then go to post #24 and follow my instructions.

I found the file, I have deleted it and now the app doesn't start at the startup. Now what do I have to do? Only to make the applescript?

Yes, make the AppleScript application. Save it with a name you choose in a location you choose. Then add it to the Login Items.

Hi thank you very much, the script works but unfortunatly I cannot hidden the apps at the startup and the utility open automatically? How can I do this?

Well, the AppleScript app is supposed to hide the Wireless Utility as soon as it opens. But I could only test it in 10.5.8. It may not work in 10.4.11. When I read up on the commands, they all talked about working in 10.5.x. There was no mention of it working in 10.4.x. So, if the AppleScript is not hiding the Wireless Utility, I don't know anything else to do.

The wireless utility does not start at start up, it opens when the USB Wifi is plugged in. If you don't plug the USB Wifi at startup, it won't open, and you can't open it. Plug the USB Wifi and it will automatically show up! I'm trying to find a application to move the icon from dock to menubar, but I think it's impossible...

Thank you, and for what regards my Hackintosh, is it possible to hide the applescript and ralink wireless utility from the dock before they close?

Ok I solved with DockDoger. Any other solution for the iMac G4 10.4.11 with a USB Wireless Adapter with Realtek RTL8188SU chipset?

- Thank you

Any other solution for the iMac G4 10.4.11 with a USB Wireless Adapter with Realtek RTL8188SU chipset?

The only thing I can think to try is this slight modification to the AppleScript:

tell application "Wireless Network Utility" to activate -- starts app
delay 0.5
tell application "System Events" to set visible of process "Wireless Network Utility" to false -- hides app
tell application "Wireless Network Utility" -- waits then quits app
delay 20
quit
end tell

Unfortunatly the script still doesn't work (it only closes the app after 20 seconds).

Any other idea?

For example to use a similar wireless utility that automatically hidden at the startup + the script to close it after 20 seconds?

For example to use a similar wireless utility that automatically hidden at the startup

I haven't heard of ANY wireless utility that automatically hides itself. And besides, it would probably not work with your wireless device.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...