• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

instant idiot

instant idiot

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Has anyone tried running OS X on any tablet PC's? I was thinking of this one in particular (Does its GFX card support QE/CI?), but there are lots of Windows 8 tablets coming out now as well that might work. I think it might be a good iPad alternative. ;)

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff
http://www.modbook.com/

instant idiot

instant idiot

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
That looks nice; however, it's certainly no more affordable than the MacBook Pro it's built from. (i.e. a bit pricey for me) I'm still quite curious about a Hackintosh tablet.

metramo

metramo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
To my feeling, you need as much of a standard configuration as possible: Core I3, HD3000 or HD4000 graphics, 100 Gig SSD, 8 G ssd memory.
That way all the methods for installing should be standard.

The biggest challenge, to be true to the Apple way of working, no stylus and multitouch.

Something like the Samsung slate PC should be it.

instant idiot

instant idiot

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834215612

It even has a 1920x1080 screen!

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
The modbookpro uses wacom touchscreen for multitouch, be interesting if the drivers were compatible with any other displays

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
Does my ASUS T101-MT falls at this category?

instant idiot

instant idiot

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Except for the GMA3150, yes. ;) I can imagine having a built-in keyboard for my tablet would be nice. (Or is this a built-in touchscreen in my laptop?)

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
Oh, yeah, this gma3150.

I'll confess i almost don't miss QE/CI. Can watch youtube movies fine (html5) and even use iPhoto. But i'd love indeed to play some games here - with Windows, i could even play Rome Total War - slow as hell, but anyway (i'll tell you that, with an older eeepc 1005H, i could play RTW almost seamlessly - that means the GMA3150 is worse than its predecessor, the 950, even on Windows).

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
I think GMA stands for "Games My Ass"

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
Lol! Yeah, that's it.

instant idiot

instant idiot

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Whatever it stands for (:P), there's no way I'm knowingly buying a computer that doesn't support QE/CI. I'll let you know if I ever get serious about this. (I.e. when I hear that OS X has working multitouch support.)

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
Yes, it has... but you have to pay cash for it. ;)

instant idiot

instant idiot

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
How do you like the single-touch screen on your T101? Is there a good on-screen keyboard? Can you imagine using it as a tablet without the touchpad and physical keyboard?

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
In fact, i do use it like a tablet many times, despite being a heavy one. OSX has a good way to solve it: just play with Universal Access and Finder settings and you get big and easily clickable icons, even in the dock. Yes, there is indeed a built it virtual keyboard, just like windows and, since my T101 MT came with a stylus pen for its resistive touch screen, it's indeed very easy to use.

I think those new windows 8 tablets and hybrid ultrabooks should be a joy to use with OSX: capacitive touch screen, IB CPUs and light weight (MBA levels, or even lighter) surely worths the experience. I'm considering upgrading to a Surface Pro some point in the next year and, if i do that, i'll inevitably try to hackint0sh it. Take in mind though there are no freeware touch drivers for OSX yet: the ones available are rather expensive and that should be considered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy