GTX 480 crashes on 10.7.5

malfunct

4 posts in this topic

I had a perfectly working installation on 10.7.2, OpenCL/GL was enabled, and I never got a crash with that config. I'm using the MacPro5,1 profile.

I upgraded to 10.7.5, with a lot of problems. Now whenever I use a GL heavy app like VLC, the system crashes. I get artifacts, etc., as well from time to time. System doesn't survive more than 15 minutes. I believe there is nothing wrong with my hardware (if somehow the new drivers didn't kill my card), because it seems to work properly on another leopard installation.

Did anyone have a similar situation with 4xx cards?

I tried installing NVIDIA web drivers, it didn't help, I'm trying again as I write this.

Thanks in advance,

Update: I just made a full time machine restore back to 10.7.2 and my system now works perfectly. Do NOT upgrade to either of 10.7.4 or 10.7.5 if you have GTX 480! I think I have tried just about every driver / patch combination, and you either do not get OpenCL support, or you get imminent crashes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi malfunct.

I've got that GPU and works wonderful on my rig running 10.7.5. No issues at all. Full resolution with no artifacts, glitches and all this sort of things. All with 2 displays working smoothly.

Maybe the trouble was the chosen profile. In my case is MacPro3,1.

Hope this can help you.