Still waiting for root device DELL M6700

gothic860

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

just bought a M6700 and im trying to install ML with ###### but i getting "still waiting for root device" all the time (see picture).

- tried 2 different USB-sticks

- AHCI on and OFF

- rBoot LE

- -x -v -PCIrootUID=0 -f -npci=0x2000 ...

any other ideas? If everything is working i will write a guide like my W520 guide.

Thank you.

post-885485-0-94066700-1351229772_thumb.jpg

For support with your installation tools, you'll need to contact their site for assistance. I can tell you, booting from a USB stick, so that's where the problem lies and not with SATA/AHCI (yet), See the USBEHCI errors a bit further up in your screen cap? But have no idea what may have been done, or not done, to enable USB support on that type of installer.

Now i get "Invalid partition table" with the guide above. Maybe a problem with Dell and the GPT (GUID) partition? I treid UEFI mode but same errormessage. Any ideas?

EDIT: With MBR it is working but i get a black screen at the end (nothing shows up + no backlight so...). GraphicsEnabler=No isnt working.

tried it with all bootflags i know but still the same problem. This is whats showing up before the black screen:

60747537.jpg

EDIT: It is working with a DVI Monitor so i will install it and hope it is working after that.

well, I coulda told you how to get 4000HD working post install, but that's only one part of it, multi core support via patched kernel, and all the other bits takes time and dedication. That's why I always recommend building a hackintosh, not making one.

• 2 months later...

Hay,

I've got a M6700 too. Having quite a few issues with getting OS X running on it. How's yours coming on?

Booting the 10.8.0 usb install image only worked for me with the usb port on the back of the machine. Otherwise I would get waiting for root problems..

So far I have with 10.8.2:

- HD4000 working on internal LCD only. No VGA. The HD4000 isn't even connected to the HDMI/DP+. See block diagram here: http://partnerdirect...l-Guidebook.pdf

- Sound with modded AppleHDA from previous version of OS X.

- Ethernet

- Wifi with replacement Atheros card.

- USB 2 on all usb ports. Had issues with the USB controllers not getting assigned a usable an interrupt, but was fixed by assigning 4 IRQNoFlags to the HPET in DSDT and disabling the parallel and com ports in BIOS to free up interrupts.

- Keyboard

- CPU Power management.

What's I can't get going:

- K3000M. Will detect the card and load the right kexts. I can see the WindowServer and other things are connecting to the driver with ioreg, but the internal display stays black, no backlight. On the HDMI I get a gray screen, no mouse pointer. I can ssh in. But usually after 5 mins the machine crashes. I guess the driver just doesn't support the Quadro GK104 based chips yet..

- Wake(with HD4000). The machine sleeps okay. But when I try and wake it up it does this weird 2 second boot loop a few times then restarts completely. Interestingly this also disables Optimus in the BIOS. Also in the BIOS logs, there are also 'ASF2 force off' power events that match the time of the boot loops. I've tried with BIOS version A06 and A08.

What I haven't tried to get working yet:

- Trackpad

- USB3

- Firewire

- SD card reader

- 3/4 Expansion card.

Doesn't have a web cam or bluetooth.

I really hope 10.8.3 brings support for the Quadro GK104 based cards... I've tried everything I can think of with 10.8.2 and the retail drivers.. but no joy.

Cheers,

Tim P.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hay,

I've got a M6700 too. Having quite a few issues with getting OS X running on it. How's yours coming on?

Booting the 10.8.0 usb install image only worked for me with the usb port on the back of the machine. Otherwise I would get waiting for root problems..

- HD4000 working on internal LCD only. No VGA. The HD4000 isn't even connected to the HDMI/DP+. See block diagram here: http://partnerdirect...l-Guidebook.pdf

- Ethernet

- USB 2 on all usb ports. Had issues with the USB controllers not getting assigned a usable an interrupt, but was fixed by assigning 4 IRQNoFlags to the HPET in DSDT and disabling the parallel and com ports in BIOS to free up interrupts.

- Keyboard

- CPU Power management.

- K3000M. Will detect the card and load the right kexts. I can see the WindowServer and other things are connecting to the driver with ioreg, but the internal display stays black, no backlight. On the HDMI I get a gray screen, no mouse pointer. I can ssh in. But usually after 5 mins the machine crashes. I guess the driver just doesn't support the Quadro GK104 based chips yet..

- Wake(with HD4000). The machine sleeps okay. But when I try and wake it up it does this weird 2 second boot loop a few times then restarts completely. Interestingly this also disables Optimus in the BIOS. Also in the BIOS logs, there are also 'ASF2 force off' power events that match the time of the boot loops. I've tried with BIOS version A06 and A08.

- Trackpad

- USB3

- Firewire

- SD card reader

- 3/4 Expansion card.

I really hope 10.8.3 brings support for the Quadro GK104 based cards... I've tried everything I can think of with 10.8.2 and the retail drivers.. but no joy.

Cheers,

Tim P.

Ey! Thanks for the info!

I have a m6700 too and I have the intention of getting Mountain Lion installed on it.

I had an m6600 that more or less, was working with snow leopard. But no, I want to give it a try with Mountain Lion on my m6700}

Could you share your DSDT and the AppleHDA kext that you modded from previos OSX installation with us? :D

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ey! Thanks for the info!

I have a m6700 too and I have the intention of getting Mountain Lion installed on it.

I had an m6600 that more or less, was working with snow leopard. But no, I want to give it a try with Mountain Lion on my m6700}

Could you share your DSDT and the AppleHDA kext that you modded from previos OSX installation with us? :D

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hay, Yeah. I haven't made much progress. Mainly because I can't get the K3000m to work. I post stuff here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286953-dell-precision-m6700-osx-installation/ when I find anything that makes a difference.

I've also got a Vostro 3360. Both that and the M6700 have ALPS touch pads that don't work well. So I'm currently trying to sort that out. The driver is open source so it will be possible to get it working. Just a question of time...

• 3 years later...

Hay,

- Ethernet

- Keyboard

- CPU Power management.

- Trackpad

- USB3

- Firewire

- SD card reader

- 3/4 Expansion card.

Cheers,

Tim P.

Hello,

Can you share how did you deal with the issue "ASF2 Force Off" in your laptop?

Thanks