Time Capsule: backups corrupted. An opinion, please

giumbolo

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, briefly. I was restoring OSX 10.8.2 from my time capsule when the Mac remained with no electrical power. The restore was interrupted, but I didn't bother. I still had my backup on the Time capsule! But, well the files became corrupted. I now have two files, one of which is reported as a sparse bundle and OSX is unable to mount it.

I called the Apple Care service and the guy tried to convince me that the restore program is required to WRITE on the backup file. I cannot believe that a restore program should alter the backup file. If I had to write such a program, I would only open the backup file in read-mode.

Is there anyone of you who knows something about the internals of the recovery process of Apple? Could he/she share his/her knowledge with us?

I've so far seen 5 times on the Time Capsules in a year a corruption of the backup file, which in turn, requires you to start a backup anew. I admit that such backups were done over the wifi but, again, I cannot believe that an interrupted backup (mac side) on wifi cannot be managed to not corrupt the whole backup file.

Thanks everybody

Elio

Hmm my time machine has been stable for over 6 month now (since I set it up) and runs perfect. I have heard tell that wi-fi backup is not fully supported but that may not be correct. However personally backup should have a wire. Wi-fi is asking for problems with dropouts etc

Someone may chime in with how to fix your backups but in the mean time you should be able to pull your data off by mounting the drive in OS X then just copying the data off from inside the backups.backupdb folder.

Have a look here:

http://www.garth.org/archives/2011,08,27,169,fix-time-machine-sparsebundle-nas-based-backup-errors.html

Thanks, rockinron_1 for taking time to answer me. In fact you pointed out a page of great value. I think that everyone who has a Time Capsule, or does backup on a NAS with Time Machine should read it. I managed to fix my backup. Elas, it's a mistery on why sometimes backups get corrupted... cheers, Elio