[GUIDE] Install OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and Mavericks 10.9.1 on ASUS N53SN/N53SV/N53SM Notebooks

eng_matt

178 posts in this topic

Hi I loaded the USB Extras onto my USB drive and it resulted in a kernal panic, normal boot resulted in a do not sign.

verbose boot showed that it was stuck on this:

2703172185.jpg

and it just gets stuck here.....

any ideas? thanks for all of those helping.

• 3 weeks later...

Will this installation work with an ASUS K55A?

Processor

• 2.50 gigahertz -3210M
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    3072 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Hyper-threaded (4 total)[/font]

Drives

• 727.59 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    636.60 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

BIOS

• American Megatrends Inc. K55A.404 08/20/2012

Controllers

• Intel® 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI

Communications

http://www.asus.com/...#specifications

• 3 weeks later...

Hii guys , how is going on. I can't see anybody here this days. :)

I reinstalled my mac osx today , and changed some kext.

I added here new , keyboard , trackpad and mouse kext. I suggest change with older.

1- ApplePS2Controller.kext

---- plugins

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

included this 2 files so find in S/L/E and delete old one.

2-ApplePS2Mouse.kext

3-ApplePS2Trackpad.kext

Also I added here ; SmoothMouse application. install it and change your scroll and sensitive setting with this apps , added in zip.

also you can download this app here;

http://smoothmouse.com

Download keyboard ,mouse ,trackpad kext. below and attachments.

http://www.mediafire...phf9m9j51q5vu7i

I also changed my Chameleon Bootloader

Chameleon-2.2svn-r2187.pkg.zip with this version.

you can download here;

http://www.osx86.net...ly_updates.html

or attachment.

My second changes ;

HWSensors.pkg

source : https://bitbucket.org/kozlek/hwsensors

Download here ; https://bitbucket.or...ors/downloads�� Installer 5.1.25.zip

FakeSmc and some sensors will change this pgk. delete old one and reinstall this kexts.

Now with this changes my system working perfectly. No issue intel HD3000 or others.

Mouse-Keyboard-trackpad.zip

Installer-205.1.25.zip

Chameleon-2.2svn-r2187.pkg.zip

Edited by eng_matt

• 3 weeks later...

has anyone tried 10.8.3 already? eng_matt , do you plan to update the package to 10.8.3 too? Thanks!

I did the update using the combo update. It shows to fail the install but everything looks like its upgraded. All I had to do was replace the new AppleHDA.kext with the one patched in this thread.

Hi eng_matt & everyone, thank you so much. I've managed to get N53SN-SX199V up and running for about 2 weeks now.

Here are some of my experiences I'd like to share:

1. My notebook is on a 1366x768 screen, so in case anyone who missed it, the dsdt for this fix is on the 2nd page of this thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283739-guide-install-os-x-mountain-lion-1082-on-asus-n53snn53svn53sm-notebooks/page__st__20#entry1865138

2. I get distortion on my audio which was fixed by:

- Switching to 44.1khz/16bit in Audio MIDI Setup

- Disabled "Enhance Stereo" in the VoodooHDA pref pane.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/267905-voodoohda-common-problems/

3. AirDrop did not work initially which was fixed via follow this tutorial (also need to reboot for it to work):

http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/networking/how-to-enable-airdrop-on-ethernet-connected-and-unsupported-macs/

3. After a week of use, certain graphic kexts (which I thought I have removed) related to nVidia/ATI/IntelHD4000 mysteriously crept back into the S/L/E folder. I do not know which one of those messed up my graphics so I had to remove them again and rebuild the kext cache using the Kext Utility tool.

4. 10.8.3 did update even though it was telling me that it failed to install at the end of the installation.

My WiFi/Bluetooth suddenly stopped working after 10.8.3 update which I have to reinstall the bluetooth & wifi kexts again to make them work.

The only gripe I have right now is that reboot takes a really long time and eVoReboot kext doesn't seem to help. How long does it take for you all to reboot your osx?

Hi,

I have been trying to get this up and running with no success. I have ASUS N53SV-SX515. I have tried all the Extra files in this thread with no success. I can install the OS and can partially boot it.

However, I never reach the UI.

I don't need the nVidia 540M. My resolution is 1366x768.

I have tried different Chameleon boot options. I can't even boot into safe mode... It always fails.

Extra that I have tried: Asus-Extensions-Extra-10.8.2, Asus-Extra-Files.zip, Asus-Extra-Files-2-No-Nvidia.zip

I am now looking into iAtkos ML2.

Please respond.

Hi,

I have been trying to get this up and running with no success. I have ASUS N53SV-SX515. I have tried all the Extra files in this thread with no success. I can install the OS and can partially boot it.

However, I never reach the UI.

I don't need the nVidia 540M. My resolution is 1366x768.

I have tried different Chameleon boot options. I can't even boot into safe mode... It always fails.

Extra that I have tried: Asus-Extensions-Extra-10.8.2, Asus-Extra-Files.zip, Asus-Extra-Files-2-No-Nvidia.zip

I am now looking into iAtkos ML2.

Please respond.

You will have to remove all graphics drivers manually from single user mode (boot with -s).

When in the single user mode prompt, type:

fsck -fy
mount -uw /
mkdir /kext_backup
cd /System/Library/Extensions
mv AppleIntelHD* AppleIntelSNB* ATI* GeForce* NVDA* /kext_backup
reboot

Then you should be able to boot into the GUI.

There, install the FakeSMC / MacBookPro8,3 thingy from eng_matt and reinstall the Intel drivers from the Asus drivers zip from the OP using the Kext Utility.

After a restart, you should have Intel accelerated graphics.

Note: If your Optimus LED is white all the time, you should disable your NVIDIA GPU first. Use eng_matt's DSDT files.

• Like 1

You will have to remove all graphics drivers manually from single user mode (boot with -s).

When in the single user mode prompt, type:

fsck -fy
mount -uw /
mkdir /kext_backup
cd /System/Library/Extensions
mv AppleIntelHD* AppleIntelSNB* ATI* GeForce* NVDA* /kext_backup
reboot

Then you should be able to boot into the GUI.

There, install the FakeSMC / MacBookPro8,3 thingy from eng_matt and reinstall the Intel drivers from the Asus drivers zip from the OP using the Kext Utility.

After a restart, you should have Intel accelerated graphics.

Note: If your Optimus LED is white all the time, you should disable your NVIDIA GPU first. Use eng_matt's DSDT files.

That worked, thanks.

Now I have new problem I narrowed it down to Intel HD 3000 kext/drivers or FakeSMC/dsdt/smbios :D

Here is the video https://www.dropbox....24 21.43.49.3gp (sorry for potato quality)

Hm, I didn't have that problem. Do you have normal graphics (but on a small resolution) when you remove the Intel graphics driver?

I'm using the Chimera 2.0.1 bootloader using the DSDT, smbios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist from this post on my N53SV-SZ404V.

All drivers, including Intel graphics drivers and FakeSMC, are from Mac_10.8.2_Asus-N53SN-Drivers.zip from the OP.

I had to install Chimera manually using this guide because the regular installer caused a boot0:error.

Hm, I didn't have that problem. Do you have normal graphics (but on a small resolution) when you remove the Intel graphics driver?

I'm using the Chimera 2.0.1 bootloader using the DSDT, smbios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist from this post on my N53SV-SZ404V.

All drivers, including Intel graphics drivers and FakeSMC, are from Mac_10.8.2_Asus-N53SN-Drivers.zip from the OP.

I had to install Chimera manually using this guide because the regular installer caused a boot0:error.

Yes I have 1024x768 resolution with 64MB unknown shared memory.

I will try your setup.

Hello guys, thank you for all important information about this topic!

I have followed all steps.

And I have installed Lion on my N53SM.

Now, I can use: wifi, ethernet, mouse,bluetooth, keyboard( but with different keys mapping:

"win key" is "alt-gr", "alt-gr" is "ctrl", "<" is "\" etc...), sound is ok, but i have only one problem with graphic card.

I opened with (-x -v) mode and delete all old graphic kexts.

And with Kext Utility I have installed:

- AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext

- AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin

- AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle

- AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver.bundle

- AppleIntelIVBVA.bundle

- AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

- AppleIntelSNBVA.bundle

- AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext

But when I rebooted after the gray screen with apple logo... I got black screen.

The system is ok, but the screen is totally black. I can listen the system sound.

After some tests, I undestood that the problem was AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

I logged with Windows partition and with MacDrive I deleted AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB directory in S/L/E and after

I could log in. But now I can use accelleration graphics.

Can someone help me?

Thanks you.

In system information my device graphic card has this ID: 0x0116

PS: I have changed my original Extra directory with your attached Extra directory.

Firs of all thank you eng_matt for a great guide.

My laptop is an Asus N53SN-S1281D, which is pretty much identical to yours except for the wifi card. Mine is an Intel so it doesn't work, I'm using an USB one.

I've managed to install Mountain Lion pretty easily following your guide.

I've updated my BIOS with the modded one posted here, and I have native power management including turbo. I have no hardware monitor installed at the moment, but my Geekbench scores went up with about 30% from before.

I've encountered a few problems.

First, after updating to 10.8.3 using Combo Update VodooHDA started giving me kernel panics, so I've deleted it and started using the patched AppleHDA posted here.

But I had no brighness controls in System Preferences and the hotkeys did not work, so I've modded further the DSDT posted here and added support for it.

Also, after sleep I had no sound, so I've found a custom IOAudioFamily kext posted by EMlyDinEsH at OSXLatitude forums, and that fixed the audio problem. But the headphones output does not work, I still need to dig a bit for this one.

I still have to find a way to fix the hotkey problem, because at the moment only the sleep and volume control hotkeys seem to work.

I attach here my DSDT and the IOAudioFamily kext for those who might need them.

DSDT.aml.zip

IOAudioFamily.kext.zip

Hi there thanks to you and the others guy here everything is working almost perfectly but i can't wake from sleep, i just get a black screen but sounds if i press keys... and the temperatures are too hot 70° celsius idle and it reach 100° just watching flash video and surfing the web... any help?

and i hope someone can help me patching this dsdt to disable optimus, cause i can't use the dsdt from the topic (different cpu)...

sorry here it is

dsdt.aml 2.zip

i've patched thanks to user Dr. Hurt my dsdt but temperatures are the same... nvidia is still showed under system profile and when waking no backlit on the screen...

i got speedstep working and temperatures are back to normal, i've used Pandora app from the download area and used it to patch the official vanilla 10.8.3 Appleintelcpu, then i've removed Nullcpu.

BTW

Sleep seems not to work, i'd just like to understand if you guys are using speedstep and turbo and getting sleep, or if "as i think" you are using Nullcpu and sleep enabler...

i have speedstep and turbo and no Nullcpu with the vanilla AppleIntelCpu, but I am using a modded bios and a custom DSDT. I don't have the laptop right now, so I can't verify if i still have sleep enabler. Do you still have nvidia under System Profile? The nvidia card must be disabled in DSDT. I don't think sleep can work properly with it.

Edit:

Just checked, I have no Sleep Enabler either.

the dsdt should be patched to disable the nvidia but this is what i see in sys conf,

k67v8.png

if someone wanna help the dsdt is attached btw i'm now using clover to boot and to enable qe & ci a patched framebuffer kext and natit.

DSDT.aml.zip

• 1 month later...

Hi Eng_Matt

Thanks for all your hard work (and others)

I'm about to try (again) to install on my N53SN - RH72

I had trouble before, but did not know about this thread. Tried IatkosML2 but will use only this thread this time.

---> Eng_Matt, do I only need these files you have posted on Page 5 of this thread? or do I get all the links from Page 1 and then replace files from Page 5?

I plan to install 8.0 and then do the combo update to 8.2

I have the 1366x768 size screen, so will have to use some file from Page 2 (as someone said on page 5).

thx

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I've followed exactly all the steps of the video mentioned in the first post, till minute 10:00 as stated (so before the use of the tonymac... cherry tool ;) ) but the USB thumb i've produced doesn't want to boot.

I've tried several options in the Bios Boot menu (like disabling UEFI, enabling UEFI, etc) but the Laptop doesnt boot on the prepared USB key. I've done this USB key twice without success :(

So any help is welcome. Thanks

Here are some details of my config:

- Laptop: ASUS N53SN-SZ252V, Core i7-2630QM, 16GB Ram

- Storage: SSD OCZ Vertex 4 256 GB (with Windows 8 installed), SATA WDC WD7500BPVT-80HXZT3 700 GB (Win Softwares + Data)

- ASUS BIOS Version: 209

- USB Key: SONY Microvault USM-R 32GB (http://www.sony.co.uk/product/sm-microvault-r-series/usm32gr)