1.66ghz vs 1.83ghz mac mini

18 posts in this topic

Well i have a problem, i can get a mac mini but im not sure which one to get, i can get the 1.66ghz version without a dvd burner but with 2gb ram and a 17" tft for 678 pounds, but i can get the 1.83ghz version with dvd burner and 1gb ram and a 17" screen for around the same price, which one would you get??

I would get the second one. Better to get the faster processor and the dvd burner now, you can upgrade the ram later if you want. it's not too hard to find some at a good price and you can sell the old ram, making it not too expensive to do.

either that, or since i have relatives in america i can get the mac mini 2gb 1.83ghz plus wireless kb and mouse for about 600 quid.

but anyway i saw a youtube video of wow on a macbook 2ghz i think so, i belive the preformance should be on par or a little bit worse.

I want to play wow in os x

If you're looking for a gaming machine the Intel Mac Mini is not it. I have a 1.83ghz Core Duo with 512 and the performance is great overall, but the GMA900 graphics onboard wasn't designed for graphics intense applications . In comparison with the g4 mini's the Intel mini actually gets slower framerates in gaminng because of the GMA900 GPU. If you still decide to get the mini I would recommend the 1.66ghz model with 2gb of ram because OSX benefits greatly from extra ram and the minis are upgradable to the Merom Core 2 Duo processor (2.13ghz and up) which when prices drop will be a very affordable extreme performance boost.

No ways go for the IMac it will be much faster than the Mac Mini. Not only is it dedicated graphics like ATI Radeon X1600 and Geforce 7300 (which aren't the fastest, I know) but much better than GMA950, you're also getting a faster, desktop hardrive compared to the mini hardrive. And the computer is as small and silent and beautiful!

So your purchase is based on WOW pretty much? Cause if you want to upgrade latter on for more WOW or newer MMORPG's then you might want to look into a Mac Pro. I know it is high but if you lower the processor speed down some (still powerful with 4 64bit cores) then you can game for a LONG time. Plus you said base specs? 512 ram and WOW don't mix. I ran WOW on 1 gig and so many said 512 was bad especially the Mac version.